Forums

Cheltenham Festival

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 326 comments are related to the topic:
Josses Hill

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 4 of 9  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 9 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 326
By:
brandyontherocks
When: 09 Jan 15 14:36
Nice summary Ekbalco. I think if you tuned in to watch the last couple of furlongs you wouldn't be too worried if you held a voucher. Sadly the other 14f were not so impressive. He picked up nicely when asked though.

QUOTES Josses Hill has got so much scope over a fence, he frightened himself at one or two. Because his jumping is still a bit erratic, he´s making things hard for himself, but he was good over the last couple. There´s work to do on him, but he´s a horse with a lot of class - Barry Geraghty, rider.
By:
Ekbalco
When: 09 Jan 15 15:01
Thank you branders - I hadn't seen the quote but Bazza sums up exactly what I was trying to say.
He's perplexing them because he's not showing any of that caution at home - apparently.
By:
Howdi
When: 09 Jan 15 16:20
The sight of the festival could be UDS in the Arkle, can't recall a horse who goes from the front like him (maybe Make a Stand) - he could be 10 lengths clear by the 3rd!
By:
Howdi
When: 09 Jan 15 16:20
Great post Ekbalco
By:
Ekbalco
When: 09 Jan 15 16:39
Thanks Howders - you can't be old enough to remember Anaglog's Daughter then(see if you can Youtoob her).

You're right Ruby will go a terrific lick in front - slow and then quicken again from 3 out - it's going to take a traveller and a slick jumper to stay within range to strike up the hill - atm JH has no chance of being within range at the foot of the hill unless there is serious improvement in the next 8 weeks.

Note to Trainers reading this with Arkle hopes - run a spoiler to harry UDS and under no circumstances give him an easy lead or you're all playing for second.
By:
sj
When: 09 Jan 15 16:44
Needs to improve his jumping gets to high but after Clarcam and one of the other Mullins two(cant see both turning up) its a awful field. Finnians wasnt great either before his Arkle
By:
tomdeane
When: 09 Jan 15 16:58
I am a big Clarcam fan, based on his jumping ability. Looks a total natural to me, and might well bag a place at worst by simply jumping and travelling kindly. Probably stating the obvious here, but think Bryan Cooper is absolutely top-drawer too. He's the man I would want on board to get the pace right and judge when to ask his horse to start withering into UDS's lead...
By:
Ekbalco
When: 09 Jan 15 17:07
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B67Fv7-CcAA_Zk3.jpg

This picture says a lot.
By:
Ekbalco
When: 09 Jan 15 17:08
It's on the RP Twitter feed.
By:
buddeliea
When: 09 Jan 15 17:21
I said after his 1st run that he did not look a natural over fences,unfortunately I still say it.Cry
He simply cannot win an Arkle jumping like that.
Can they get him better by March? Not likely I would have thought.

Back over hurdles if he were mine......nowt to do with the huge odds I took on here last night for the CH of course.Wink
By:
Ekbalco
When: 09 Jan 15 17:29
You're right budders - but they must give him one more chance over fences on the racecourse prior to Festival - he does not show these tendencies at home I'm told.

Good call - but he can't win a Champion given the current opposition.
By:
SEATHESTARS....NO1
When: 09 Jan 15 17:37
I still think that given he improved his fencing at the last 2 thus travelling faster that the Arkle will suit and think connections think the same given the quotes.
By:
shockster
When: 09 Jan 15 17:38
Hendo always likes a well hcpd horse for the Grand Annual. Can only be 145 on a line through Solar Impulse. Is this the Plunge horse. Lol
By:
SEATHESTARS....NO1
When: 09 Jan 15 17:38
"He was workmanlike at the finish but he's got so much scope," said Geraghty.

"He made up five lengths at one or two, but the odd time he scares himself and because of that he's just not travelling as well in his races.

"We'll do a bit of work on him at home and we'll get him there, though.

"He was a good bit fitter today than at Ascot but because this is a flatter track there's more pressure on the jumping, it tests it early."
By:
SEATHESTARS....NO1
When: 09 Jan 15 17:42
Made up 5 lengths at one or two (was he galloping faster at those fencesConfused) Scared himself at one or two, was this when he was asked to just canter?

Like i said above, he jumped the last two really well when BG was asking him to go and win it.

Might be money talking, clutching at straws perhaps, but i am holding onto them really rather tightly given that i missed all the fancy prices on the top two in the market and that i am sure only one will run
By:
Ekbalco
When: 09 Jan 15 17:43
Good angle shockers but he'd be too classy for the GA I think.
By:
shockster
When: 09 Jan 15 17:50
Just devilment Ekbalco.ExcitedDevil
By:
sageform
When: 09 Jan 15 17:51
Josses Hill looks an out and out stayer to me. Can't see him winning a Grade 1 race over 2 miles.
By:
tyronesam
When: 09 Jan 15 17:59
Still think its wide open myself, you could say there are issues with vatour re effort last time after mistake( remember beforehand he was the next Pegasus) and uds fell first time out and beat little last day. Maybe a benefit to have two or three competitive runs rather than walk overs and not be battle hardened or lacking experience as wille would say, just a thought
By:
buddeliea
When: 09 Jan 15 18:14
I don't like that scared comment at all,sounds like the horse is thinking about each fence and what to do when he reaches them,just don't sound right or indeed ideal for the top 2m novice chase.

I shall keep my voucher as others are doing,but I aint confident at all.
By:
buddeliea
When: 09 Jan 15 19:39
Still,thinking about it,if you think he will improve his jumping by the time the Arkle gets here,hes a fair price right now.
Its not as if he got every fence wrong,and he did jump ok at a  few of them.
By:
GI MAC
When: 09 Jan 15 20:23
I just watched the race, and the interview after with Barry, he was not particularly downbeat when talking about JHs, I got the impression he was looking forward to his Arkle ride.

I have to say the horse did not look like falling at any time, and he put in a massive leap at one fence before they turned for home. Novice chaser, nothing to say he can't improve and he is in the best hands to do so if he is to win an Arkle.
By:
duffy
When: 10 Jan 15 03:58
He'll be tailed off by half way...that much is clear.
By:
peatysandy
When: 10 Jan 15 07:24
Possibly Duffy or he could plug on for a resolute 3rd or he could ping the last two and threaten up the hill.
By:
sintonian
When: 10 Jan 15 10:11
the best hands GI? With NJH? PFN maybe.

Having backed the horse last Spring for this seasons Arkle I am glad I can lay off my bet with no loss. His price has not gone out to 16/1 plus because there is a lot of doubt surrounding the whole race so it is not inconceivable he could get to Cheltenham in March and still be a 6/1 chance as the race has potential to cut up. But as an Arkle winner, he looks some way off for me now. He had to be given the benefit of the doubt after his debut but he looked an accident waiting to happen yesterday.
By:
sintonian
When: 10 Jan 15 10:14
I suppose Captain Chris looked decidely dodgy before his Arkle win but had that back class from his hurdles runs. JH needs to improve a lot in a short space of time. Finians wasn't great either as Sj said but that was more due to them trying to restrain him when he needed to attack his fences and go out from the front, something which they did in the Arkle. JH just looks very nervous and immature still. Is 10 weeks enough time?
By:
buddeliea
When: 10 Jan 15 11:07
Watched the race again,and I do think he jumped better this time. Was rather big at the first two and another later on,but apart from that he got a tad close to one and the rest ok with a couple of really good ones towards the end. I do think he has to improve his jumping to win the Arkle,but I don't think his trainer and jockey have forgotten how to get a horse jumping well,so I am now going to reserve judgement until his next run.
By:
Kalanisi
When: 10 Jan 15 11:12
He has the scope and ability.
Plenty of schooling and maybe cheekpieces should do the trick.
By:
GI MAC
When: 10 Jan 15 11:54
the best hands GI? With NJH? PFN maybe.

Hendo has won 5 Arkles, more than any other trainer, Barry has won 4 Arkles more than any other Jockey, he's in the best hands if he's to turn it around. That's how I look at it.
By:
Graeme83
When: 10 Jan 15 12:09
Maybe they could apply a noseband and send him for the scisilly isles.
By:
sintonian
When: 10 Jan 15 12:35
fair point GI!
By:
sintonian
When: 10 Jan 15 12:36
He clearly excels in the Arkle so should perhaps factor that into the price.
By:
harry callaghan
When: 10 Jan 15 12:57
the horse will have ear plugs and a hood fitted next time NAP
By:
Joist
When: 10 Jan 15 13:08
Tidal Bay didn't look a natural either before he won an Arkle, perhaps worth bearing in mind.
By:
tomdeane
When: 10 Jan 15 13:15
^ All good points and of course it's possible that his jumping can be improved significantly, but I thought he was really poor yesterday. Tidal Bay didn't look a natural but he jumped much better than Josses, as did Finian's, who was actually very good at his fences when allowed to bowl along.

What I really don't like about Josses' jumping is that it's a different shape/mistake at almost every fence, which suggests he's just scared and doesn't know what to do, especially when he's on the wrong stride. At Cheltenham, going at real pace, his chance could be gone before halfway.
By:
CVByrne
When: 10 Jan 15 13:40
What I don't like was that Josses jumped better on his debut at Ascot than he did at Doncaster the other day.
By:
buddeliea
When: 10 Jan 15 14:42
Really? I thought he was better yesterday.
By:
ACStafford
When: 10 Jan 15 19:05
Did Henderson give any clues as to where he will run next?
By:
duffy
When: 11 Jan 15 04:42
He jumps too big and he also has a bit of a habit of twisting his back-end....they will be going at a much faster pace in the arkle so his hesistancy is going to cost him lengths at every fence, and with the jockey not having the luxury of being able to nurse him round but having to commit him at his fences it's a recipe for disaster imo.
By:
Benjy
When: 11 Jan 15 10:07
The last fence being his best jump was a small positive from lto. He's beaten two reasonable horses as well there. Although I'd expect Cheltenian to come on for that run.

Not one that I'm rushing to back but I wouldn't write him off yet.
Page 4 of 9  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 9 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com