Forums

Cheltenham Festival

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 358 comments are related to the topic:
*** Arkle Chase ***

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 2 of 9  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 9 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 358
By:
Graeme83
When: 22 Nov 18 20:16
Anyone know where the updated mullins tour is. Seen it mentioned a few times.
By:
PeteTheBloke
When: 22 Nov 18 22:29
Great shout with Lalor, by the way - the 33s you took looks very much like a free bet now.
Well done.
By:
differentdrum
When: 23 Nov 18 22:53
Paloma Blue goes to Navan on Sunday. He should dot up but with Cooper on board who knows? Maximum pressure because this is his best ride of the season. Owner must have a screw loose.
By:
duffy
When: 24 Nov 18 01:07
Probably felt more pressure hosing up on DC in the gold cup I'd have thought.
By:
differentdrum
When: 24 Nov 18 10:31
Not so sure, Cooper's career 2018 looks a lot different now to how it looked in 2016. Downhill pretty much since then and effectively dining out on scraps. This horse represents a chance to get him moving back in the right direction. Is he riding well enough to deserve that chance? For me it is a huge risk in gambling with a promising horse's season. I hope he just gets him out in front and keeps it simple.
By:
Somerset Sam
When: 25 Nov 18 14:17
Disappointing at face value for PB, jumped fine for his first time in public, on ground softer than ideal and for his first run of the season.
Jockey a bit more animated than I'd want to see on one as good as him though.
Will need to improve massively to win an Arkle based on today but may improve for better going and possibly a step up in trip.
By:
differentdrum
When: 25 Nov 18 14:17
Game over for Paloma Blue. Writing on the wall from a very early stage. Zero confidence between horse and jockey.
By:
duffy
When: 25 Nov 18 14:25
You reckon that was the jockey's faultGrin, I reckon he looked plain lifeless.
By:
duffy
When: 25 Nov 18 14:26
Hated the ground too
By:
differentdrum
When: 25 Nov 18 15:36
To use De Bromhead's favourite word the jumping was absolutely down to the jock. It looked like he wanted to ask him at the early fences but thought better of it resulting in an early bungle and from halfway he is rousting him into nearly every fence because the horse is continually backing off. Consequently, he is relatively slow at every obstacle. The ground shouldn't have been any issue at all. Most of his form is on soft but he should be better on quicker ground. As regards being lifeless after his dire effort at the end of last season it is pretty poor training if he has been sent out to run with some sort of issue.

You are welcome to follow him over a cliff but for me he is best swerved.
By:
duffy
When: 25 Nov 18 16:30
I'm nether a fan or not of the horse and with regards to Cooper It's much the same, I certainly wouldn't be put off one just because he was on board even if it is the "in" thing.
By:
firstimevisor
When: 25 Nov 18 17:15
So DD predicts that the horse would dot up today unless Cooper messes up. The horse was well beaten, fair and square, so naturally DD puts it down to the ride he was given. Nice one
By:
differentdrum
When: 25 Nov 18 17:50
I said he should dot up and the market suggested as much. You imply that's as good as he is. If you think he is the fourth best horse in the race on merit then you must have made a packet laying him. As regards my assessment it could be right or it could be wrong. At least I post an opinion rather than sarcastic garbage.
By:
firstimevisor
When: 25 Nov 18 18:09
In time,he may or may not prove to be the best horse in that race today but that's neither here nor there.

The fact is it was not the fault of Brian Cooper that he didn't dot up today - that's the bit you need to get over
By:
duffy
When: 25 Nov 18 18:56
I reckon a horse could lose without it being the jockeys fault. The truth is that it is open season on Cooper so he'll get blamed, a lot of the time unfairly, if he gets beat on a shortie then it'll be exaggerated.

I thought the problem wasn't the horses jumping at all, for the most part he jumped OK, the problem was that he did not travel between the fences like he normally does, the jockey was always just niggling away at him, he tried a couple of times to switch the horse to try and spark him up but it didn't work, for what it's worth I think he'll be seen to better effect over further in any case, in the Supreme he travelled really well and made a little mistake at a crucial point but stayed on really well up the hill, I wouldn't be writing him off, he's quality but I'd be looking at perhaps the Jewson.

differentdrum 23 Nov 18 22:53 
Paloma Blue goes to Navan on Sunday. He should dot up but with Cooper on board who knows? Maximum pressure because this is his best ride of the season. Owner must have a screw loose.

Quite clearly DD isn't a fan Grin but I didn't see anything there today to support that mindset myself.
By:
sageform
When: 26 Nov 18 09:53
I have not seen that race but I did watch a couple of others and if there was a layer of slop on top of firm ground underneath then some horses could fail completely to give their true running on that.
By:
shockster
When: 26 Nov 18 10:47
It has to be said that PB was disappointing. However, I'm always prepared to give a horse the benefit of doubt on first run of the season.  I won't be topping up but neither will I be trying to offload.
By:
shockster
When: 27 Nov 18 11:28
Mengli Khan declared for Punchestown tomorrow.  Hope he puts in a performance.
By:
Somerset Sam
When: 28 Nov 18 10:51

Nov 27, 2018 -- 11:28AM, shockster wrote:

Mengli Khan declared for Punchestown tomorrow.

By:
Somerset Sam
When: 28 Nov 18 11:09
My original post was saying that MK would have to give a decent performance to win first time out over fences, off a 218 day absence and giving 7lbs to a smart mare in Forge Meadow, who's already had a run and experience over fences, though would probably prefer softer going.

MK was prone last season to leave his hind legs behind over hurdles (along with taking a wing out at Leopardstown in December!).

He is such a big horse that perhaps fences were always going to be the making of him and

**racing cliche alert**
Anything he did over hurdles was a bonus.
**cliche alert over**

Looking back at his runs towards the end of last season, I was coming round to the idea that he looked as if a step up in trip might also be in order (appreciating that he is flat bred).

All that said, watch as he bolts up as the second coming of Arkle...
By:
houseofpain
When: 28 Nov 18 14:02
MK quite impressive, went a fair gallop from the start and beat a pretty fit rival out of sight,
By:
duffy
When: 28 Nov 18 14:02
Good solid performance from MK.
By:
impossible123
When: 28 Nov 18 14:57
I beg to differ. Mengli khan is not a natural jumper; got in a bit too close on several fences despite fewer fences to jump. In the Arkle where the pace would be frantic he'd be stretched, I believe; at 7/1, Lalor would be a better bet, all things being equal.
By:
houseofpain
When: 28 Nov 18 15:18
Got in close the last couple when the race was won, pinged all the ones down the back that i saw. All about opinions.
By:
duffy
When: 28 Nov 18 16:16
I believe that Lalor is ahead on points too from their respective debuts and I reckon most would agree, still good solid performance today though.
By:
Joist
When: 28 Nov 18 18:34
To deduce that Mengli Khan is not a natural jumper from today is just a wild misinterpretation isn't it? He completely flew a couple down the back when he was allowed to stride out, taking lengths out of those in front each time. He was just allowed to fiddle the last two in his own time.

I don't particularly like the horse and won't be a backer, but I thought he was pretty good today.
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 28 Nov 18 21:07
I think a wild misinterpretation is being kind.

He was absolutely electric at a couple. Popped the last two when the race was won and Davy did absolutely the right thing.
By:
Quevega06
When: 28 Nov 18 23:27
Impossible in my opinion I think you are way off the mark that MK is an awkward jumper. I thought he was quite decent for his first run and the bookies seemed to think the same
By:
sageform
When: 29 Nov 18 12:59
The reason why Lalor is ahead on points is that he beat what were considered to be high class rivals. All 3 of the leading candidates have won well enough but time will tell what each of them beat.
By:
duffy
When: 29 Nov 18 13:11
He didn't just beat them though he hammered them, and the most crucial point of all, he did not look like a novice.
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 29 Nov 18 14:09
Being over C&D on what you would expect to be similar ground to the Festival is another positive for Lalor too.
By:
Quevega06
When: 29 Nov 18 21:11
Lalor is the rightful fav and the Arkle at the minute looks weak
By:
impossible123
When: 07 Dec 18 15:20
Defi De Seul advertised his form, over 20f; he won with authority at Exeter today.
By:
sageform
When: 07 Dec 18 15:29
Very different ground from Cheltenham and I thought Defi was ridden to get round at Cheltenham but it does no harm to Lalor's form.
By:
houseofpain
When: 08 Dec 18 13:59
Looked paceless very strange run.
By:
irishone
When: 08 Dec 18 14:01
Run offhis feet
By:
sageform
When: 08 Dec 18 15:09
Probably the ground or may be ran too quick after Cheltenham as the trainer had feared.
By:
impossible123
When: 09 Dec 18 15:59
Lalor could not jump out of the very soft (even heavy) ground, according to Johnson. On the other hand Getabird ran a good trial at Leopardstown today,...the £64k question is how will he cope going left-handed (again)? He did not last year.
By:
Paterson92
When: 10 Dec 18 14:41
With Draconien confirmed as out and Getabird questionable when running left handed, I’m more than happy to take the 25/1 on Hills for Voix Du Reve (trained by Mullins and owned by Wylie).

He may well want further than 2m, however is 2-2 so far over fences and comfortably beat Hardline at Punchestown last time over 2m who went on to win next time out.
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 10 Dec 18 15:15
Hoping Cialos Emery will be the Mullins string, but agree 25/1 looks a decent price about VDR.
Page 2 of 9  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 9 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com