Forums

Cheltenham Festival

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 351 comments are related to the topic:
world hurdle 2014

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 2 of 9  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 9 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 351
By:
Glossy
When: 05 Dec 13 00:30
Seems to be saying that had @FC not have made that terrible mistake, that he and CH would have been very closely matched in the finish. Therefore if he's putting CH up 4 lbs (warranted IMO), he should do the same with @FC. I'm not convinced it's the right thing to be doing but I can see his logic. It of course ignores the fact that @FC is at least 7lbs better off on any ground that is soft or worse IMO.
By:
Autocue
When: 09 Dec 13 13:59
It's not just you shockster. They might as well start handicapping the virtual racing the bookies are so fond of.
By:
Glossy
When: 10 Dec 13 00:47
Interesting to see that Gemix has an entry in the Relkeel Hurdle at Cheltenham on Saturday. Would certainly indicate that they have the WH on their mind, regardless of whether he shows up this week. The form of that French Champion Hurdle is looking superb now, with him absolutely stuffing the likes Solwhit, Celestial Halo, Zaidpour, Reve De Sivola and Thousand Stars.

Saturday's race doesn't look to shabby either with the very smart looking Ballyalton, Diakali, More Of That, Ptit Zig and Rolling Star holding entries. Likely to cut up of course but even if just 3 or 4 were to stand their ground, it could prove very informative.
By:
sintonian
When: 10 Dec 13 11:32
Ballyalton is a novice so i'd be surprised if he ran. Rolling Star is the interesting one but is still a 4yo. Gemix is coming over btw.
By:
EVILROYSLADE
When: 12 Dec 13 17:06
I keep on availing myself of the monster price offered on Bucks. Nicholls will have this fellow ready without any doubt. I too am a Solwhit fan, having steamed in both at Chelt and Aintree. I doubt that he will get the better of BB though and therefore I will continue to put more and more on at this gift of a price. Cannot wait to see him return.
By:
Ibrahima Sonko
When: 14 Dec 13 16:07
More Of That is a serious horse, won with a ton in hand.
By:
ACStafford
When: 14 Dec 13 16:28
Agreed. Thought that was impressive, and looks like he would really appreciate the step up in trip to 3m. McManus already has At Fishers Cross earmarked for this race. Looks like he could be double handed. McCoy will surely be on AFC though.
By:
duffy
When: 14 Dec 13 16:43
Agreed, really exciting, you just don't know how much he has left but it looks like it could be lots, salubrious really tried to put them through the ringer today and wasn't stopping himself, he won well despite a few mistakes, needs to sort them out but he's a big improver, needs to be though.
By:
SEATHESTARS....NO1
When: 14 Dec 13 17:19
If BB comes back seemingly as good as ever, that thing today will be 12s on the day so to take 16s antepost now is silly, i understand if BB does not come back, everything halves in price however, i still would rather back More of That on the day at something like 13/2 than to take 12s antepost today. I understand he obv does not do a jot at home and he is surprising connections, but i would need to see something more. He really could be anything, but then again, he could only be as good as that today, a grade 2/3 performer. After all, how many world hurdle winners start their careers at 20/1 in a maiden hurdle then win two handicaps on the bounce?
By:
Glossy
When: 14 Dec 13 17:20
I think we can safely rule Gemix out of this! How that thing beat Solwhit, Celestial Halo et al I'll never know.
By:
Autocue
When: 14 Dec 13 18:10
Different hurdles in France, flat track and heavy ground. One thing popping over brushes but quite another today. He clearly couldn't handle the English hurdles at the pace they were going. Got more awkward as the race went on.
By:
duffy
When: 15 Dec 13 00:30
The race he beat solwhit and co is was in their season proper whilst our horses were finished
By:
Glossy
When: 15 Dec 13 01:20
With prize money totalling 370,000 euros for the French Champion Hurdle, I'd be amazed if the British/Irish horses weren't prepped for it.
By:
harry callaghan
When: 15 Dec 13 16:15
more of that, did it well...

very weak division, will be interested where he goes next time but still a stiff ask for a horse so inexperienced and 12-1 7-1 in places is a tad to short imo especially on the back of yesterday race as salubrious is just a nice handicapper and gemix never ran a yard

his next race will tell us more but you have to be realistic and the layers are taking no chances with the price we are getting that is for sure...

good prospect for sure and they must be gutted they blew his novice status in a january novice hurdle
By:
sintonian
When: 15 Dec 13 19:51
If they go down the World Hurdle route then he will have to try 3 miles first and the most likely race is the Cleeve Hurdle where he will meet Big Bucks. He would also have to concede a penalty, I think. He is now 4/4 though and looks rapidly progressive.
By:
biffarama
When: 15 Dec 13 20:03
More Of That reminded me a lot of Denman when he was a hurdler.  Not saying he will be the same but the head carriage, lopping along etc.  Have chucked some money at him for this along with Kings Palace hoping to look back at yesterdays races in March and thinking it was easy to find them....
By:
FOYLESWAR
When: 16 Dec 13 14:35
big bucks gallops at newbury on Thursday after racing .
By:
FOYLESWAR
When: 16 Dec 13 14:53
dur!..........Exeter after racing ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
By:
shockster
When: 16 Dec 13 21:51
Great news Foyles. The Champ is back. Grin
By:
shockster
When: 17 Dec 13 15:46
AS Big Buck's prepares to return to a racecourse on Thursday -- for a gallop at Exeter -- the horse which succeeded him as the king of staying hurdlers, Solwhit, is on course to return to action at Leopardstown over Christmas.

The achievement of Solwhit in landing the Cheltenham-Aintree double last season seems to have been largely overlooked by commentators across the water who have been lamenting the long-term absence of Big Buck's.

The Paul Nicholls-trained 10-year-old has been sidelined since taking his winning streak over the small obstacles to 18 in the Long Distance Hurdle at Newbury 13 months ago.

The four-time World Hurdle hero is likely to make his return to action in the Cleeve Hurdle at Cheltenham in January, but will give racegoers a chance to assess his well-being on Thursday.

Solwhit, meanwhile, is set to make his seasonal debut in the Christmas Hurdle at Leopardstown on December 28. The Charles Byrnes-trained nine-year-old followed up his Cheltenham success in the Liverpool Hurdle at Aintree a month later before finishing second to Gemix at Auteuil in June.

"He's on target for Leopardstown," said Byrnes. "He had a break after Auteuil so he was late coming back in. That's why he's just ready to start now."
By:
duffy
When: 17 Dec 13 16:29
Looking forward to solwhit coming back, in a minority but I reckon he'd have given BB a fright even his pomp, I know we've heard it before but solwhit is a different level of opponent to the VLV's and time for rupert's of this world, anyway, now he'll be up against a BB off a years lay off minus walsh.
By:
buddeliea
When: 17 Dec 13 17:03
So am I,and I totally agree. A horse with multiple grade 1,s over 2m and the reigning WH champ.
BB has never faced an opponent with those credentials for sure.
By:
Tory
When: 17 Dec 13 18:23
He may not be minus Walsh Duffy. Stewart quoted today as saying its up in the air as to who will ride him. If Annie power doesn't run then I can see Walsh on board - Stewart seems like quite an assertive person and I think ruby would ask Mullins to make an exception for BB. Would be out of the question for any other horse but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Walsh jocked up come race time
By:
CVByrne
When: 17 Dec 13 19:04
3 prongued and topping up on all three all the time

Big Bucks, Solwhit & Annie Power
By:
deepingfox
When: 17 Dec 13 20:38
On JPM's runners, I defo prefer MORE OF  THAT to AT FISHERS CROSS, and AP is the right jockey to get the max out of him.  Will need to brush up his jumping and then the worlds his lobster.
By:
buddeliea
When: 17 Dec 13 20:53
Be amazed if one of those that CV is topping up on don't win the WH.
Solwhit for me,to win.
Cel Halo e/w.
By:
CVByrne
When: 17 Dec 13 21:43
All three are very classy animals and class usually shines through in these top class races.
By:
jasey
When: 17 Dec 13 23:42
More of that could emerge as a contender after he  won the relkeel on saturday,and what about Monksland pretty sure he was around 6/1 for last years race.
By:
buddeliea
When: 18 Dec 13 07:55
Monksland is a horse I like, but hes been off for a year and no sign of any entries.
CV might be able to tell you more?
By:
shockster
When: 18 Dec 13 14:01
Paul Nicholls is not expecting "fireworks" from Big Buck's in his racecourse gallop before racing at Exeter on Thursday.

The great staying hurdler, who is unbeaten in his last 18 races, has not been seen since making a winning reappearance at Newbury in the Long Distance Hurdle of December last year, having been found to be suffering from a leg injury later that month.

He has been back cantering since October, but Saturday's Long Walk Hurdle at Ascot comes too soon for him.

Instead, Nicholls has been aiming at the Cleeve Hurdle at Cheltenham on January 25 for quite some time, and his exercise at Exeter will take him another step close to a comeback.

"He's just going to go over two miles, and it's as much a day out as anything, getting him to go in the horse box and so on," said Nicholls.

"I wouldn't expect fireworks, the aim's just to have a day out and then bring him back for another workout at the same course in a month's time. Exeter has been very good to allow us to come and do it."

The work is scheduled to take place at 12.15pm.
By:
shockster
When: 19 Dec 13 13:43
FOUR-TIME Ladbrokes World Hurdle hero Big Buck’s worked over 2m1f before racing at Exeter on Thursday as he limbered up for a possible return in next month’s Cleeve Hurdle at Cheltenham.

The Daryl Jacob-ridden Big Buck’s made steady progress alongside stablemate Solar Impulse, a three-year-old Auteuil conditions hurdle winner formerly trained by Francois Cottin.

Trainer Paul Nicholls was on course to supervise the superstar stayer's canter. He has been out of action since taking his winning sequence over hurdles to 18 at Newbury more than a year ago.

Nicholls said: "Obviously it is pleasing to see the horse back and they went a sensible gallop before quickening it up in the straight. I followed them in a pickup and it was a steady 30mph before they injected some pace in the straight and it went to 35mph.

"Big Buck's looked as good as ever and the aim is to have him ready for the Cleeve Hurdle at the end of January and then the World Hurdle in March and with that in mind he will do another racecourse gallop in about a month's time."

Jacob added: "He was very chilled and very professional. It was a great day out for him today. He loved every minute of it."

Big Buck's has not raced since December 1 last year after suffering a tendon injury later the same month.
By:
duffy
When: 19 Dec 13 18:54
Right then, reading between the lines it sounds very much to me that Stewart/Nicholl's are giving walsh the opportunity to keep the ride on BB, BUT he's going to have to give just a bit because they have said that whoever rides him in the WH will have also had to partner him in the Cleeve, this means that walsh would have to come over here and give up a probable ride on Champagne Fever in the Irish Arkle on the same day....a small price to pay perhaps....only a theory though.
By:
buddeliea
When: 19 Dec 13 18:58
mullins aint gonna allow that mate
By:
sintonian
When: 19 Dec 13 20:38
yep, can't see it if CF is running on the same day and it is quite probably WPM will have a runner in the race anyway. I thought they were aiming Boston Bob at it.
By:
sintonian
When: 19 Dec 13 20:38
*probable
By:
Tory
When: 19 Dec 13 21:34
I want would love to see Walsh on BB but if willie has a big gun out the day of the Cleeve I can't see him being allowed to. If I were Nicholls and Stewart I'd simply negotiate for the only race that matters, the world hurdle. Walsh is too important to BB
By:
Glossy
When: 19 Dec 13 21:55
I'd be astonished if Ruby rides BB. Just can't see it.
By:
Clarky9
When: 19 Dec 13 23:16
I need Ruby to ride. Had £200 on him to ride a winner for PN at Cheltenham Festival at 4/1
By:
FOYLESWAR
When: 21 Dec 13 19:48
took some of the 21 to be placed medinas as well on here  a few weeks back ,hope kingy runs himin the world hurdle good chance of a place and if the race cuts up who knows !
By:
PeteTheBloke
When: 22 Dec 13 18:59
Market Suspended. Can't be because of Countrywide Flame, can it? Already 200+
Page 2 of 9  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 9 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo