Forums

Cheltenham Festival

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 351 comments are related to the topic:
world hurdle 2014

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 5 of 9  •  Previous | 1 | ... | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | ... | 9 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 351
By:
brandyontherocks
When: 25 Jan 14 15:58
Surely he would have done some homework on the great horse and seen that Ruby always waited. The writing was on the cards after 20 yards when he only had the two outsiders in front of him. A real shame for the BIG horse.
By:
Tory
When: 25 Jan 14 16:00
Gave him a shocker. Sam is a liability in the big races and far too nervous
By:
Autocue
When: 25 Jan 14 16:10
Must be a bit arrogant to ride him like that given all the videos with Ruby on board. Who does he think he is? I think Paul Nicholls' talk of him being a future champion jockey has gone to his head.
By:
duffy
When: 25 Jan 14 16:14
I'm completely bemused about the race full stop....my gut reaction was that it was a good run from BB all things considered, with him going on like he did he had no hiding place, so many questions still, how fit was he? did the ride make any difference? I'm not so sure now, KB was up there making it and still came back...on balance I'd be more in favour of BB now than I was before the race....I think it's worth being with him at 7/2.
By:
Autocue
When: 25 Jan 14 16:17
If Annie Power runs in the race he's gassed.
By:
duffy
When: 25 Jan 14 16:38
I don't know, Ricci has said in the past couple of weeks that he'd want her in the CH, he said that his idea was to put off chasing for a season to aim for the CH rather than the WH, he doesn't strike me as the type of character to decide to take the option of the WH just because there is an apparent chink in BB armour, it's all about the glamour of the race for him.
By:
brandyontherocks
When: 25 Jan 14 16:48
On 4 today Ricci said no decision has been made as to her Cheltenham target is. There is still 6 weeks and they will decide nearer the time. He said that his how he and WPM have always done things and it is no different this year.
By:
shockster
When: 25 Jan 14 16:50
I'm fairly confident that if BB lines up in March, he'll be the one to beat. Very confident.
By:
GI MAC
When: 25 Jan 14 16:54
I tend to agree there Shockster, if you add everything up; returning from injury, back from a lengthy break, the heavy ground, the way he was ridden, that was a decent return to action.

The horse will surely come on from that, and I'm certain STD will have learned plenty.
By:
FOYLESWAR
When: 25 Jan 14 16:54
any bounce factor to consider?
By:
brandyontherocks
When: 25 Jan 14 17:09
The bounce factor is a hard one because we do not know how it might affect the horse. Every horse is affected differently.I would always ignore the threat of it. If he does bounce so be it but i would never discount a horse because i think he might bounce.
By:
ACStafford
When: 25 Jan 14 17:11
It was a decent effort after that break, but how do we know that Sam won't mess up again in March?
By:
FOYLESWAR
When: 25 Jan 14 17:22
its a tough one he looked the winner before the last and was caught ! how fit was he ? at his age how much  improvement to come ? and stewart saying earlier that he may have 4 horses in the race big bucks saphir du rhua ,celestial halo cant remember the other, doesn't fill me with confidence that he knows big bucks is back to his best .
By:
CVByrne
When: 25 Jan 14 18:20
Thought that was a very fine run from Big Bucks.

He's never had anything like a test fto so we don't know how ready he can be fto.
He's always an average worker at home, so you will never know how well he is until he's on track
He had to give 4lbs and 8lbs to fully race fit horses today on bottomless ground
He travelled and jumped with his old zest, reminded me how Sil Conti ran in Betfair looked like winning well and then lack of a run told.

Forget he was off a 14 month break, forget every one of Nicholls horses have needed their first run of the season, forget Nicholls horses by and large ran terrible today. If that was good ground and level weights he'd have cantered in.

Annie Power will be going for the Champion Hurdle, what will beat fully fit Big Bucks off level weights? 3/1 is some value now.
By:
shockster
When: 25 Jan 14 19:04
Spot on CV and I have taken advantage of PP 3/1 NRNB for Big Bucks.
By:
Clarky9
When: 25 Jan 14 19:48
3/1 too big for sure. Will go off shorter than that even if Annie doesn't turn up. If she doesn't he's a 6/4 shot
By:
Winnerallrite
When: 25 Jan 14 20:32
Didn't fancy BB today (long time off, new jockey, bad ground and some decent opposition I couldn't back it) and don't fancy him for the World Hurdle either, People who have money down will always defend him of course.

In my books D Jacob was correct he would have been ridiculed also today just like Sam is being now by armchair jocks, it was a no win situation and he was spot on, he seen that coming!

In my opinion he knew the horse would never be 100% like he was 2 years ago and the new crop will have the buck from here on in.
By:
BJG
When: 25 Jan 14 20:36
Liked his comeback today but hard to know - was still beat by Knockara Beau wat ever way u look at it
By:
Ballydoyle
When: 25 Jan 14 23:00
Ballydoyle 11 Jan 14 17:22 Joined: 23 Feb 02 | Topic/replies: 2,193 | Blogger: Ballydoyle's blog

Couldnt make it up though...Jacob's just become the stable jockey...they state they want someone that knows him....then put on STD whos never rode him. Jacob should just go "stick yer job". Fehily shouldve got it anyway.

As for Big Bucks, lay of the festival.

And nothing I saw today makes me think differently....
By:
Tory
When: 25 Jan 14 23:50
Lay of the festival? That's brave - he was best off level weights today and was given a horrific ride. If Annie power doesn't line up, what beats him?
By:
jasey
When: 26 Jan 14 00:25
Father time
By:
nostaw_01
When: 26 Jan 14 02:12
"Winnerallrite • January 25, 2014 8:32 PM GMT
Didn't fancy BB today (long time off, new jockey, bad ground and some decent opposition I couldn't back it) and don't fancy him for the World Hurdle either, People who have money down will always defend him of course.

In my books D Jacob was correct he would have been ridiculed also today just like Sam is being now by armchair jocks, it was a no win situation and he was spot on, he seen that coming!

In my opinion he knew the horse would never be 100% like he was 2 years ago and the new crop will have the buck from here on in."

Aftertimer
By:
buddeliea
When: 26 Jan 14 07:45
Hes become a horse that imo cannot be backed antepost without NRNB.
That was a bl00dy hard race after a long lay off, and will take a fair bit of recovery time.The bounce factor could play a part as well.

If I HAD backed him already, i would not be too disheartened by the run,he was up against it with his long lay off and running on that sort of ground, against good and solid staying hurdlers.The way the race panned out weren't in his favour either.
At level weights he would have won that yesterday,despite the ground and lay off,and to beat RDS on his ground by 7 lengths is pretty good imo.
If he turns up on the day,hes the one to beat for sure, my biggest worry would be him turning up.
NRNB,or back on the day.
By:
Ballydoyle
When: 26 Jan 14 08:59
Don't kid yerselves...Nicholls would've been gutted getting beat yesterday. On Morning Line for starters when that Luck said is 6/4 a great bet or words to that effect he said "yes".

Beat by Knockara Beau ffs, 11yo, had 1 run in recent times, Walsh clearly didn't want the ride, just came back from injury, could easily bounce....this is NOT the same horse we are dealing with from 2/3 years ago. Could see him finished unplaced actually. A great horse, the best staying hurdler I have seen but when yer times up....it's up
By:
festivalfanatic
When: 26 Jan 14 09:13
Not sure what to make of this at all. On the face of it beaten by KB and AFC (based on his efforts this season) doesn't read well. However, he finished well in front of RDS. If the RDS has run his race under conditions which should have been perfect for him, then BB has put up a good effort. Very slow run race too - much slower against standard than the other hurdle races.
By:
festivalfanatic
When: 26 Jan 14 09:16
Ignore the last comment - the slower the ground, the bigger the differential should be on the longest races.Blush Still bemused by the outcome though!
By:
Ballydoyle
When: 26 Jan 14 09:20
Reve De Sivola who was unplaced in World Hurdle and humped 17 lengths by Celestial Halo recently?
By:
brandyontherocks
When: 26 Jan 14 09:35
It was clearly stated before the race that Rev would not be given a hard race, and spoil his festival hopes like they did last year. He wasn't given his normal forceful ride so I wouldn't read too much into his beating yesterday.
By:
festivalfanatic
When: 26 Jan 14 09:37
Yep - that very poor unplaced 4th in last season's WH with CH about 3 lengths in front of him on ground that his best form tells us would have been too quick.
By:
alleged22
When: 26 Jan 14 09:42
brandy are you saying that rev wasn't trying to win?
By:
buddeliea
When: 26 Jan 14 09:48
Extremely harsh to knock nim on yesterdays performance.
Long lay off,heavy ground and still nearly won!!
If that had been normal festival ground at at level weights he would have won yesterday...no doubt.
Will come on a ton for the race as horses do for a first run of the season.
Got tired on the run in,he wont when hes 100% fit.

Only danger is him not turning up other than that of course hes the horse to beat.
Annie Power would be a big threat,but don't think she will run in the race,what else is gonna beat him if hes fit??
By:
brandyontherocks
When: 26 Jan 14 09:49
I'm saying Richard Johnson said on live tv we will not be leaving the world hurdle here like we did last year.
He wasn't put in the race yesterday and didn't try an inch.
So Big Bucks beating him yesterday is not something to use to say BB ran well.
By:
Ballydoyle
When: 26 Jan 14 09:52
Ifs buts shouldves wouldves.....1.84 to place on the pink in the World...hmmm...
By:
alleged22
When: 26 Jan 14 09:54
well I hope the bha take action if they weren't trying, as many punters who would have backed the horse did not get a run for their money it seems....
By:
buddeliea
When: 26 Jan 14 09:55
Anyone care to tell me what horse/horses will beat him in March on normal festival ground??
By:
buddeliea
When: 26 Jan 14 09:57
alleged,people are trying to decipher a jockeys comments,maybe to justify an opinion they have.
By:
brandyontherocks
When: 26 Jan 14 09:59
We do not know who is lining up yet bud. Conditions and size of field will have a bearing on my selection.
If I play at all
By:
alleged22
When: 26 Jan 14 10:00
I was at the football and forgot to tape it on sky so have not seen the race, so I find these comments of not trying rather strange....
By:
buddeliea
When: 26 Jan 14 10:01
Well look at oddschecker and tell me the horses on that list that will beat him....if they turn up.
By:
alleged22
When: 26 Jan 14 10:05
there isn't one budd
Page 5 of 9  •  Previous | 1 | ... | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | ... | 9 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo