Forums

Horse Antepost

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 203 comments are related to the topic:
HENNESSY GOLD CUP

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 3 of 6  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 203
By:
betilyerded
When: 21 Nov 15 11:52
Well all I can say is that he must have a twin brother cos the SWC Ive seen has made pretty good fist of winning round places like Aintree and Cheltenham. Seems to like being up with the pace which would suit his style of riding.
Admittedly, would rather have the likes of Walsh or Gerraghty on board but there are certainly worse jocks around.
By:
shockster
When: 21 Nov 15 16:53
Coneygree has been successfully reshod and will gallop on Sunday. "So far, so good" according to assistant trainer Sara Bradstock
By:
buddeliea
When: 22 Nov 15 07:18
must admit I have mixed feelings about this.
I will be there Saturday and really want to see if Coneygree can do what he did in the Gold cup.
At the same time I am a tad concerned about what the race could do to him for his season,especially with this not ideal prep.
Think it may make more sense to wait for the KG or Lexus.
It's not like he has not had a run yet.
By:
hitmanhearn
When: 22 Nov 15 11:16
Will Mullins have any runners at all in this ?  Think Don Poli could be a big player if he ran .
By:
Ibrahima Sonko
When: 22 Nov 15 12:44
The Cheltenham Gold Cup winner made an emphatic return to action at Sandown earlier in the month to set him up perfectly for the prestigious Newbury handicap.

His participation was thrown into doubt when he spread a plate on Monday morning, but an improvement in his condition meant a shoe was put on the afflicted foot on Thursday and he came through his first workout since with flying colours.

Bradstock, assistant trainer to husband Mark, said on Sunday: "I'm very happy this morning. He worked very well, I rode him myself and he seems to be flying, so it's all systems go.

"Nico (de Boinville, jockey) will come in and school him on Tuesday, just to make absolutely sure everything is fine, but at the moment everything looks very good.

"If you knew how lame he was at the start of the week, it's incredible that he's back in fighting form again so quickly. The whole family are a bunch of wusses and he did make the most terrible fuss about it and got himself in a tizz!

"It was obviously quite painful, but he only actually missed two days and I couldn't have been more delighted with him this morning - he worked absolutely fantastic."

Despite the upbeat bulletin, Bradstock was keen to add a note of caution.

She said: "We're not totally out of the woods as there is always a chance a bit of pus might come out of the foot at some stage in the next day or two.

"I'm not promising there is no chance he won't run next week, but everything looks very good at the moment."

Coneygree is a 4/1 chance with Sky Bet for the Hennessy, with Saphir Du Rheu the 7/2 favourite.

Bradstock was an interested observer on Saturday as a couple of potential threats to Coneygree's Gold Cup crown strutted their stuff.

The Willie Mullins-trained Vautour was workmanlike in making a successful reappearance at Ascot, while Colin Tizzard's stable star Cue Card was a brilliant winner of the Betfair Chase at Haydock.

Both are bound for the King George VI Chase at Kempton and although he would have to be supplemented after missing the initial entry stage by mistake, Coneygree could yet turn turn up for the Boxing Day feature if coming out of the Hennessy in good shape.

Bradstock said: "You couldn't be all that impressed with Vautour on Saturday, but then again Faugheen got beat the previous week, so maybe some of Willie's horses aren't quite right, I don't know.

"Cue Card was dead impressive and I'm pleased we're not having to give him weight in the Hennessy. I'm sure we'll meet him somewhere, but we obviously hope he might succumb to our gallop.

"I still can't quite believe we won the Gold Cup, so I see them all as threats.

"Let's get next weekend out of the way first, but I wouldn't be afraid to take them on at Kempton. Having said that, we keep getting the call from Ireland asking us to go to the Lexus and that might be the more sensible thing to do.

"We're just concentrating on next week at the moment and, as always, we'll be guided by how the horse is."
By:
hitmanhearn
When: 22 Nov 15 13:47
Weird how they seem so desperate to get him to this race.
By:
Arklearkle
When: 22 Nov 15 17:20
Theyre crazy to be rushing him or even thinking of running him in the race. They would do well to have a chat with Henrietta. They may very well win the Hennessy but the big one is always in March
By:
Ibrahima Sonko
When: 22 Nov 15 17:28
Rushing him ?

He only missed 2 days of training
By:
FELTFAIR
When: 22 Nov 15 18:02
If he runs the clock is shouting Coneygree.
By:
Arklearkle
When: 22 Nov 15 18:36
IS what I mean is they should not be running him in handicaps (in November).
By:
jollyswagman
When: 22 Nov 15 18:58
personally im fed up with the modern trend of the whole season being about cheltenham in march. this has resulted in the top horses being wrapped in cotton wool and their connections avoiding taking each other on earlier in the season. best mate won three gold cups but did he captured the public imagination? i'm in my mid 40s and i have fond memories of desert orchid running over various distances and giving lumps of weight away in handicaps. they are called race horses, let them race! i find it refreshing that the connections of coneygree are prepared to take on all comers in a handicap. lets hope is at newbury on saturday.
By:
CVByrne
When: 22 Nov 15 19:05
Taken Splash of Ginge £6.55 @ 110.0 think he will improve for this trip.
By:
Ibrahima Sonko
When: 22 Nov 15 19:19
well said jolly.

I think more top class horses should run in handicaps, or their should more handicaps around for them to race in. Coneygree could be injured next month, with him declared to run on saturday adds so much to the race.
By:
shockster
When: 22 Nov 15 19:45
If Coneygree yurns up for the Hennessy he will be fit and ready with NO excuses.  No way would the Bradstocks send him there under cooked. Win or lose he'll be 100%.  They just wouldn't risk it.
By:
shockster
When: 22 Nov 15 19:46
Turns not yurns Shocked
By:
Fashion Fever
When: 22 Nov 15 20:17
think coneygrees gonna have to be 110% to give 9lb to SDR,

surley one of these two will win

hoping for 6/1 field saturday morning 5 places

should be 20 runners
By:
Ibrahima Sonko
When: 22 Nov 15 20:35
6/1 the field, your aving a laugh.

there will be 2 horses under 4/1.

Your basically saying SDR is going to win the gold cup, considering what both horses have achieved over fences i think SDR is badly handicapped, he is rated so high because of his hurdle form. Not saying one day he wont be top notch but at the moment he is nowhere near over fences.
By:
hitmanhearn
When: 22 Nov 15 20:55
Coneygree comfortably gives him 9lb if hes fit I think.
By:
IrisDeBalme
When: 22 Nov 15 21:21
Nah definitely be 6/1 the field... anyone thinking 4s are gonna get stung antepost
By:
ACStafford
When: 22 Nov 15 21:31
It looks like being pretty good ground for the race. Currently good to soft, soft in places, and there is little rain forecast before the meeting.
By:
CVByrne
When: 22 Nov 15 21:43
Was just thinking that ^ re: Ground. No rain due really.

Good for Bobs Worth. I had a £5 on Southfield Theatre there too at 104.0 as he may run now with the ground being decent.
By:
ACStafford
When: 22 Nov 15 22:33
I was just looking at Southfield Theatre. Would be very interesting off a nice mark on decent ground. Has Nicholls said anything about his plans for the horse?
By:
buddeliea
When: 23 Nov 15 06:11
Best be careful then,cos if the ground does improve we may not see Coneygree turn up.
I am going to leave this race till the day.
By:
ACStafford
When: 23 Nov 15 07:27
I've just read the Nicholls stable tour. Regarding Southfield Theatre he says "He'll be considered for the Hennessy if the ground is decent, and we'll also look at the Listed chase at Aintree the week after."

It is another concern for Coneygree, but hopefully it doesn't dry out too much (there seems to be some rain tonight now) and we get good to soft ground.
By:
Chad Collins number wan
When: 23 Nov 15 08:09
What are the plans for Don Poli does anyone know?  Can't believe he will start at 20-1 if declared, but presume must be aimed elsewhere...
By:
shockster
When: 23 Nov 15 08:26
5 day decs out by lunchtime which should clear up some of the picture.
By:
ACStafford
When: 23 Nov 15 08:51
From WM stable tour on Don Poli: "He has an entry in the Hennessy but it's doubtful he will go there without a run."
By:
Chad Collins number wan
When: 23 Nov 15 09:48
Cheers! Looking forward to seeing the entries.
By:
Fashion Fever
When: 23 Nov 15 12:02
no don poli or vvm

valseur lido left in, surley the interesting one
By:
jollyswagman
When: 23 Nov 15 12:21
i'm a massive fan of valseur lido too, he won two grade 1s last year one over 3 miles. he was available at 70 on here yesterday so i thought this might not be the target as he is also entered in the john durkan. however, his price is down to 16 on here today so maybe this is the target afterall. if it is i will be gutted as i've missed the decent prices! that said i do think coneygree is a beast and if the going is suitable he will take a lot of beating.
By:
shockster
When: 23 Nov 15 12:26
Strange that Mullins said last year that he should have got a run into Djakadam for a race as big as this, yet both Valseur Lido and Ballycasey would run here without a prep. VL is definitely of interest if you can ignore the lack of a run and I'd say short enough price now also.

FWIW I've had a few quid at 70's on here on First Lieutenant carries only 10-01. Decent comeback behind Gold Cup 3rd, Road to Riches over an inadequate 2 1/2 miles. 2nd to Bobs Worth in this race in 2012 off a 12lb higher mark and if ground stays g/s it will be fine.  Also on Bobs Worth 16/1 EW as also appears too well in.

That's my AP finished for this race.  Really hope Coneygree turns up and will back him on the day. If he runs I'll consider the ground soft enough or he wouldn't have run.
By:
1st time poster
When: 23 Nov 15 12:27
2 horses already at 7 to 2
By:
deepingfox
When: 23 Nov 15 19:38
VALSUER LIDO for me, improved markedly for 3M LTO, and extra 2F should help, with Ruby onboard should give  good run at the price. He is a lively long-priced possible for the Gold Cup, 2nd season chaser, Grade 1 3M winner, whats not to like.
By:
IrisDeBalme
When: 23 Nov 15 20:09
My main fancy for this is THE YOUNG MASTER (16/1 antepost) - Sam Waley Cohen on board (I think they bought the horse), ... has a bit of a weight pull with Saphir de Rheu lto (albeit a 7l beating), and with the weight allowance... think he is a type of horse that can do well in a race like this. Definitely one to watch this season.
By:
shockster
When: 23 Nov 15 20:23
Last season’s Cheltenham Gold Cup hero Coneygree (Mark Bradstock) heads 21 contenders for the £200,000 Hennessy Gold Cup (3.00pm), the highlight of the three-day bet365 Festival at Newbury, on Saturday, November 28.

The eight-year-old, who is 7/2 joint-favourite with bet365, tops the weights on 11st 12lb and is attempting to follow in the footsteps of such luminaries as Mandarin, Mill House, Arkle, Bregawn, Burrough Hill Lad, Denman and Bobs Worth who all landed the Hennessy Gold Cup and the Cheltenham Gold Cup. Coneygree is a dual Grade Two winner at Newbury and made a winning seasonal reappearance when sauntering to a 25-length victory at Sandown Park on November 8. He had an injury scare last week but is an intended runner on Saturday.

Saphir Du Rheu (Paul Nicholls, 11st 3lb) is bet365′s other 7/2 joint-favourite. The six-year-old won a Grade One novices’ chase at Aintree last season and also made a winning comeback when comfortably landing a Listed chase by seven lengths from The Young Master (Neil Mulholland, 10st 4lb, 12/1) at Carlisle on November 1. Trainer Neil Mulholland is also set to be represented by The Druids Nephew (10st 10lb, 10/1), seventh in last year’s renewal before going on to take a Grade Three handicap chase at the Cheltenham Festival.

Colin Tizzard expects the likely pace of the race to play into the hands of Theatre Guide (9st 7lb, 33/1). The eight-year-old, who runs in the same colours as recent Betfair Chase winner Cue Card, shaped well on his reappearance when third in a two and a half mile Listed handicap chase at Wetherby on October 30.

Theatre Guide was third to Triolo D’Alene in the 2013 Hennessy Gold Cup and is set to race from 7lb out of the handicap.

Tizzard said: “Theatre Guide will run in the Hennessy Gold Cup, all being well.

“He has done a lot of work since Wetherby. Of all the horses we have run this season, he definitely needed his first run the most. He has been working with Cue Card, although he has not been keeping up with him!

“He has been placed in the Hennessy before off a higher mark and I think he is a better horse now.
“Coneygree will go off like the clappers and the race will probably fall apart. We are looking forward to it.”

Bobs Worth (Nicky Henderson, 10st 7lb, 7/1) landed the Henesssy Gold Cup in 2012 before annexing the Cheltenham Gold Cup in 2013. He got back to winning ways when defeating stable companion Simonsig in a conditions hurdle at Aintree on November 7 and is racing from a 7lb lower mark than when winning in 2012.

Alan King’s stable has been in great form this season and he has two possible starters on Saturday in Smad Place (10st 9lb, 7/1) and Ned Stark (9st 8lb, 25/1, pictured right). Smad Place finished a staying-on fifth last year and won a graduation chase by eight lengths from Fingal Bay (Philip Hobbs, 9st 12lb, 25/1) at Kempton Park on November 2, while the lightly-raced Ned Stark was a Grade Two scorer at Wetherby last season.

Ned Stark
Other contenders include Houblon Des Obeaux (Venetia Williams, 10st 10lb, 16/1), who was runner-up to Many Clouds in 2014 and also chased home Coneygree in the Betfair Denman Chase at Newbury in February, while If In Doubt (Philip Hobbs, 10st 3lb, 12/1) disappointed on his final start of last season in the Irish Grand National but triumphed in the Listed Sky Bet Chase at Doncaster.

Four Irish-trained contenders remain. The trio from Willie Mullins are dual Grade One winner Valseur Lido (10st 11lb, 10/1), Ballycasey (10st 2lb, 33/1) and Urano (9st 8lb, 33/1), while Mouse Morris has left in First Lieutenant (10st 1lb, 33/1) who finished third to Bobs Worth back in 2012.

First Lieutenant, a Grade One winner at Aintree in 2013, made his first appearance of the season at Clonmel in a Grade Two chase on November 12, when he finished fourth to Road To Riches.

Mouse Morris said today: “First Lieutenant will hopefully come over for the Hennessy.
“He is grand after his run in Clonmel and there is not a bother on him. We left the headgear off there because he was just starting back and I thought it was a very good run.
“He is showing me a bit of sparkle and I feel there is still a good bit of ability there if I can get him back.”
By:
Vbear2
When: 23 Nov 15 20:51
HOUBLON DES OBEAUX for me (16/1 each way generally) was placed second in the race last year off top weight of 11.12. Only having to carry 10.10 this year he has an eye catching bit of form with Coneygree when beaten by him 7 lengths over C/D but gets a 15 pound pull in the weights from that run. Only catch would be a no no for quick ground but if the ground turns up soft he looks a ridiculously good each way angle.
By:
tim6
When: 23 Nov 15 21:24
Like him myself but is he definitely lining up
By:
lordnoise
When: 23 Nov 15 21:34
Valseur Lido - runner ? Great chance if so imo.
By:
ACStafford
When: 23 Nov 15 22:23
Venetia Williams said that Houblon Des Obeaux was an intended runner about a week ago. I'd be surprised if he didn't run even on good ground. The drying ground is of course a concern for his chances though.

I agree with the above posters that Valseur Lido is definitely worth considering. With the firmer than usual ground in early Autumn however, Mullins admitted a while back that he couldn't get as much work into his horses as he would do usually, which has probably left a few needing their first run. Someone suggested Ruby would ride VL. Surely it would be Cooper.
By:
barnesey
When: 24 Nov 15 09:03
Valseur lido being 19.5 on here surely raises doubt about his participation in this for me?
Page 3 of 6  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com