Forums

Cheltenham Festival

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 484 comments are related to the topic:
cue card

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 4 of 13  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 13 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 484
By:
duffy
When: 20 Nov 12 18:46
He ran over 2 miles first time up, what is wrong in killing 2 birds with one stone, run him in the tingle creek, it'll give him the run he needs and who knows, he might just run a massive race, which would give them the option of sticking at 2 miles which  would of course become more appealing should he run a big race, if he gets well beat, at least he's still had a run in a better time space until the KG.
By:
HaylingBilly
When: 20 Nov 12 19:38
Devils Advocate. Since winning Bumper at Cheltenham 2010 Cue Card has not won a race of any distinction and not won at any of the major Festivals. He is a "what if/maybe" horse who we all like the look of and is trained by a thoroughly decent bloke BUT net net won nowt for far too long so maybe, just maybe, the owners and trainer want to actually win something like The Peterborough coz they are bored being honourable losers. JUst a thought. ExcitedExcitedHappyHappyHappy
By:
duffy
When: 20 Nov 12 22:06
Who thinks the peterborough chase is a race of note??Shocked
By:
festivalfanatic
When: 20 Nov 12 22:12
Well it's not d but it is a step up in trip, unlikely to be too competitive and the ground at Huntingdon is rarely desperate. If he does this well, then I'd think Kempton is very much on the agenda.
By:
stevo1
When: 21 Nov 12 01:42
Have backed him for King George at big prices, would be worried if runn ing at Huntingdon, as horse clearly goes well fresh.
By:
buddeliea
When: 21 Nov 12 07:47
Who said it was a race of note?
All HB says above is winning a race like the Peterborough coz they are bored with losing.
Think thats fair enough myself,he aint a superstar yer know!!Plenty of time,hes just out of novice races.
By:
duffy
When: 21 Nov 12 13:07
Yeh, who said it was a big race, i never, can't be bored of losing can they...he's won over half his races, and he's just out of novices
By:
duffy
When: 21 Nov 12 13:25
HB makes him sound like a horse who's been around for years and how can anyone seriously think that the tizzards are sat there saying, damn it, we're tired of all this losingGrin, he's just won the haldon gold cup producing a brilliant round of jumping, that race is at least the equal of the peterborough, he's progressing very well...bored with losing, tat'sa good one thatGrin
By:
HaylingBilly
When: 21 Nov 12 13:37
Devils Advocate - a devil's advocate is someone who, given a certain argument, takes a position he or she does not necessarily agree with, for the sake of argument. In taking such position, the individual taking on the devil's advocate role seeks to engage others in an argumentative discussion process.
By:
roobuck
When: 21 Nov 12 13:39
He was playing devil's advocate duffy. So why, if what Joe is saying is true, do they plan to go to Huntingdon? It would surely compromise his chances at Kempton or do you feel he's not yet ready for that race?
By:
duffy
When: 21 Nov 12 13:51
HB, i'd say you achieved your aim then, roo, he should be running in the tingle creek, he's all speed and the place for that is 2 miles, imo.
By:
duffy
When: 21 Nov 12 13:56
The whole cue card plan at the moment is basically, how to avoid SS and still get him to achieve,in the process of all this they are going to compromise what he is best at, imo, we shall see though in due course if they can make it work....i'm fascinated to see over 3 miles how the horse will react at not being allowed to travel through his race at the pace he wants to.
By:
duffy
When: 21 Nov 12 14:00
HB,I've identified the weaknesses in it's structure haven't I.Grin
By:
HaylingBilly
When: 21 Nov 12 16:35
duffy - we are as one. I love the horse. always have. i would prefer to see him win the peterborough and the ryanair than be a gallant loser in king george and gold cup and end the season knackered. as you say he is young. plenty of time for the 3m career. let him win a few. cheers.
By:
buddeliea
When: 21 Nov 12 17:33
yep,makes sense to me.
By:
judorick
When: 21 Nov 12 22:26
king george for me

I remember when people said Best Mate should not go for the race and that he wouldn't stay (which eventually got him beat with an overly tender ride)

the horse is ready to explode on his next start so why waste it on an insignificant race? go for it, there's not much to be scared of imo
By:
buddeliea
When: 22 Nov 12 07:49
well if they think hes good enough and that he will stay,then KG is the race for him i would think.
Its a very intriguing race this year at the moment with so many 2nd season improvers,a few class horses stepping up,and some established stayers.
Great race shaping up.
By:
judorick
When: 22 Nov 12 11:26
yes Budd really exciting race Love you don't get anticipation like this too often

really hope they send CC for it and with no prep race, conserve all that potential energy and unleash on the big day
By:
duffy
When: 22 Nov 12 16:20
If this current weather prevails right through the winter months it is going to make it even harder stretching him out to 3 miles....take the tingle creek while you've got the chance....SS..SANC...CC...what a race.Grin
By:
judorick
When: 22 Nov 12 17:41
CC is never gonna beat the Sprinter over 2 miles as long as he has a hole in his arse and they know it so I hope they step up in trip
By:
FOYLESWAR
When: 22 Nov 12 17:46
me too !
By:
judorick
When: 22 Nov 12 17:50
just to say I also love CC so hope for the best from him
By:
judorick
When: 24 Nov 12 20:53
get him in the King George
By:
judorick
When: 26 Nov 12 00:26
Just been comparing a few careers and wanted to say how similar some of Cue Cards career is to that of Best Mate. In fact, so similar that both horses won the Haldon Gold Cup, on seasontal debut in their second season as chasers as six year olds, off exactly the same mark of 157. Best Mate won that race by 20 lengths and Cue Card by 26 lengths.

I notice that Cue Card has been well backed for the Gold Cup into around 36 and if he runs well or wins the King George then that price will surely shorten. Best Mate did have another run before the King George where he just failed to give 20lbs to Wahiba Sands at Ascot in the First National Bank (ran off 169). Of course, after going close to winning the KG he went straight to the Gold Cup.

Are these merely coincidences or is there something in it? The market move, the entry and the form makes me think Tizzard is going to go for the Gold Cup as long as the King George does not give him reason not to do so.

The current collateral form is giving every encouragement with Al Ferof and For Non Stop (both well beaten by CC last season) winning well this year. And of course Bobs Worth winning the RSA (Cue Card gave 7lb and got beat a short head).

Really starting to think this boy could be the real deal
By:
duffy
When: 26 Nov 12 13:23
The tingle creek is the place to be for this horse and as more rain falls putting the emphasis more and more on stamina and making SS perhaps a little more vulnearable not to mention the nutcase SANC, then he should be in the race.
By:
judorick
When: 26 Nov 12 13:51
no mention of it at all Duffy

they are clearly going to try the longer distance races and you can't blame them!
By:
duffy
When: 26 Nov 12 13:56
let's hope kempton isn't a bog in 5 weeks time....hopefully the flooding will be over by then
By:
duffy
When: 26 Nov 12 14:00
I'm just thinking about the fact that they are stepping him up because they want to avoid SS. if a situation evolves where just maybe that horse is slightly more vulnerable, that being, running first time out where he may be a tad buzzy in bad ground being maybe a bit free and of course sanctuaire that the same comments apply too, whereas CC has had a run and stays further than the 2 miles well....it could just fall his way.
By:
FOYLESWAR
When: 26 Nov 12 15:31
bred to be a 3m chaser ?
By:
buddeliea
When: 26 Nov 12 17:48
Some fair points Judo,but personally i would not use the Arkle defeat of AF too seriously as far as collateral forms concerned.
Had AF had a clear round,fair enough,but he did'nt.
Hes an interesting horse though,and as ive said before fascinating to find out his optimum distance.
By:
judorick
When: 26 Nov 12 18:08
collateral form with For Non Stop also gives CC a clear beating of AF Budd
By:
FOYLESWAR
When: 26 Nov 12 18:22
al ferofs 2 runs right handed have been  arguably not his best ,he beat for non stop less than a length at sandown and was 3rd albeit  behind  somersby and finians at ascot ,imo he is better left handed ,cant recall if he ran any more right handed  ?
By:
judorick
When: 26 Nov 12 18:28
no that's it, twice at right handed courses and yes some are deffo better one way than the other (Medermit is another one that does not go well right handed)

but equally you could argue that For Non Stop goes better left handed as all his best runs are at Cheltenham, Newbury and Aintree. So you could say he ran much better when beaten 2.5 lengths at Newbury by Cue Card than he did when losing by half a length to AF at Sandown

will be fascinating to see how AF and CC get on when they meet. As it stands should get odds against for CC in the match bet vs AF as he is a bigger price in the win market

How long do we have to wait? bring it on
By:
buddeliea
When: 26 Nov 12 18:34
yeh i know Judo,but i firmly believe AF is a better horse at Cheltenham,and whilst hes ran ok at other tracks like Sandown and Ascot,as Foyles alludes to he could be a better horse left handed.Hes certainly a Cheltenham horse anyway.
Also using collateral form with improving novices going into snr company is not the most reliable imo,and should be treated with caution.
By:
buddeliea
When: 26 Nov 12 18:40
Yes its also possible FNS is better left handed,fair enough.
The race at Sandown was very early in their careers over fences,and no doubt both horses have improved since then.
Both have come out and ran well this season,as has CC.
Agree it will be fascinating to see how they fare against each other,and like you i look forward to it.
By:
judorick
When: 26 Nov 12 18:40
sure it's all up for grabs at this stage

Certainly CC and AF are likely to be competing at the front end of Grade 1 chases for a couple of seasons yet. Exciting stuff and no one can be sure which will come out on top
By:
call it a day
When: 01 Dec 12 17:10
Cue Card already has twice anhilated Al Ferof. It also has beaten Silviano,Walkon and For Non Stop. Added to that,a short head defeat to Bobswoth giving 7lbs.On all known form only SS is to be feared.
By:
judorick
When: 01 Dec 12 17:14
yup he is a really exciting prospect! he has similar profiles to horses like Best Mate and Kicking King at this stage of their careers, if he goes close in the King George (or wins) the sky is the limit

can't wait to see what happens
By:
buddeliea
When: 01 Dec 12 17:19
you counting the bumper which i doubt has much say in their chase careers over a mile more.
And the Arkle which AF made his only bad error so far in his chase career which ended his race.
Add to that we have no idea how much all the novices are improving.

Think you need to be a tad more open minded imo.
By:
judorick
When: 01 Dec 12 17:19
you are the one who needs to be more open minded mate
Page 4 of 13  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 13 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo