Forums

Cheltenham Festival

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 484 comments are related to the topic:
cue card

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 3 of 13  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 13 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 484
By:
duffy
When: 06 Nov 12 19:27
Today for me has re-affirmed my view that he should remain at 2 miles this season and as mentioned before if it wasn't for SS there wouldn't even be a debate about it within the yard or elsewhere, he is a point and shoot horse and any compromising of that style, or speed he shows will only count against him, he's got so much speed and is still a touch keen in his races that he can't in my view keep that up at 3 miles round kemnpton, or otherwise where there would be absolutely no room for error, no mistakes sapping a bit more stamina away , I'd be running him in the tingle creek next and as for SS, then so what, it's just bad luck he's around at the same time but at least we'd be seeing him do what he does best, trying to break them from the front over two.....imo that is.
By:
FOYLESWAR
When: 06 Nov 12 19:37
i dissagree duffy think they have got to try him over further or how will they know wether he gets it or not , try him nice and early at kempton and if he if he dont  stay then back in trip  and possibly the ryan aire if he does then worlds his oyster, gold cup trials and gold cup come into the equation and then the aintree 3 mile chase and punchestown festival could all be considered   . ,nothing ventured nothing gained
By:
buddeliea
Betfair chase next apparently.
That puts paid to 2m.
Reckon all roads lead to Ryanair myself.
He wont stay 3m imo,and they are running scared of Sprinter Sacre.
All makes sense to me.And connections will see it............ eventually!!
By:
FOYLESWAR
^ imo of course ^
By:
FOYLESWAR
When: 06 Nov 12 19:39
thats good news budd ,took a bit of the 40s on here cue card  for the betfair chase a few days ago !
By:
festivalfanatic
When: 06 Nov 12 19:40
I don't think he'd get 3 miles round Haydock in the likely ground if he started now. Race is often run in a gluepot.
By:
buddeliea
When: 06 Nov 12 19:44
dont think he will get 3m well enough at the toplevel anywhere,but i look forward to seeing if i can be proved wrong.
Makes it more intriguing horses going into the unknown.
By:
tinkler
When: 06 Nov 12 19:53
Thought the race proved his well being but the opposition looked like they ran poorly. Menorah appeared to have run up very light
pre-race and Edgardo sol must have lost at least 15 lengths  jumping left at most of the fences. Disappointing that they are going down the
longer distance route ,possibly 3m after possibly putting in a non-staying performance  back to 2m 5f for the Ryan air where again I doubt he'll stay ,by the time they've realised his best trip is 2m the season will be over.
For a horse with so much speed he's going to have to be extra special to be a top class horse at 2m and 3m.
By:
call it a day
When: 06 Nov 12 20:37
Two mile route for me. Cue Card has speed to burn,and without SS, the crown is there for the taking.Rynair is a poor man's championship.Don't be afraid of one horse!!
By:
wellchief
When: 06 Nov 12 20:41
Racing Post

Trainer Colin Tizzard said: "That was fantastic. He was faultless. I entered him for the Betfair Chase this morning, but he'll probably not go there. We'll aim for the King George because Kempton would be the ideal course for him over three miles.

"He'll have a run before then, perhaps the Peterborough Chase, but we'll talk about that."

Sportinglife

The winning trainer confirmed the Boxing Day feature was on the agenda.

He said: "The plan will be to go for the King George and you really couldn't fault the way he did it today.

"He used to tank along, but he's not as fizzy as he was and coming out of the back straight, when Joe squeezed him up, he was gone.

"Watching him here, you would wonder why we would ever need to go up to three miles, but I suppose we will, and he'll go somewhere before (the King George).

"I haven't given that a great deal of thought, but it could be the Betfair Chase (at Haydock, November 24).

Nice to know the trainer has a clear idea of where he wants to go next Laugh
By:
tomdeane
When: 06 Nov 12 21:52
Don't be afraid of one horse!!

I think Cue Card is probably best over a testing two miles, as a lot do, but seriously, what do you do with him?

It's all very well saying that you should never be afraid of one horse, but that doesn't do you much good when you get battered by that one horse every time you run against him. When you have put together a season like Sprinter Sacre did last term, whose trainer is so in love with him that he is ducking two-mile races with his impressive, reigning Queen Mother Champion, it's not hard to see why other two-milers are trying their hand over other trips.

Let's be honest, Exotic Dancer would have had a much more distinguished career if his connections had have been afraid of one horse, and the same can be said for Excelebration on the flat.

If there's only a few pounds in it, fair enough, but when you have something that is so dominant in its division as a Kauto Star, or a Frankel, or, fingers crossed, a Sprinter Sacre, running scared is usually a very wise move. I am the first to admit that Sprinter must prove himself against older, established stars before we crown him the best of the best, but his Arkle performance last season was as good as it gets. I have never seen such an accomplished win from a two-mile novice chaser, and don't see where the holes in him are.
By:
buddeliea
When: 07 Nov 12 07:55
Well if hes best over a testing 2m,than thats where he should run imo.

At least start off that way,and we have no idea how much improvement he has in him,or indeed how SS will be this season.
If he gets well beat again,have a rethink,but at least give the horse a chance at his distance.

For me,as said before,i tink hes shown me hes better at a bit further(2 and half),but his connections seem to be aiming at the King George.

Fascinating stuff!!!
By:
call it a day
When: 07 Nov 12 20:45
Budd, this is jump racing we are discussing.I think I can remember Kauto and Moscow tipping up in big two mile races...and both horses are at least in the same bracket as SS.Horses can fall, be brought down, get ill. It is also in the bounds of possibility that Cue Card could improve at a greater rate than SS and beat him fair and square.Unlikely, yes,but definitely possible. Even if Cue Card was beaten into 2nd every time the pair met,the prize money would be major. I suppose you would rather see SS in a walkover come March?
By:
call it a day
When: 07 Nov 12 20:46
Sorry Budd,last post directed at Tomdeane.
By:
FOYLESWAR
When: 07 Nov 12 21:13
i think cue card is better over further than 2m all his best runs have come over further including yesterdays romp over 2.2 miles ,he didnt just win convincingly yesterday ! he anhiatlated them ! and could have won a good few more lengths if asked .and i cant have it that both menorah and elgado sol had off days, more like both were taken out of their  comfort zone and couldnt go the pace , lets not forget that cue card comfortably beat silvinio conte into 3rd at chepstow over 2 .4 miles  when both made thier chasing debuts and that one has proved to be no slouch . colin tizzard has said that he has grown up  and not so fizzy now .   every chance of getting 3 miles  and a major player imo
By:
tomdeane
When: 07 Nov 12 21:34
Call It A Day -

I think you maybe misinterpreted my post a bit, but that's likely my wording than your error!

Of course I don't want to see Sprinter in a walkover in March. I'm just stating that we sometimes become too fixated on what we want to happen and don't pay attention to logic. If I owned Cue Card, I'm sure I'd rather train him to at least see whether he can be king of the castle over two and a half or even three miles in what are open divisions than run against that beast over two.

Of course you're also right that Sprinter Sacre might not be the same horse this year (it does happen), but assuming he is as good (or even better, which is more likely as he grows and gains experience), I can't imagine connections of Cue Card are in a hurry to take him on.

And why should they be? They have a rattling good horse, and would surely love to have a Grade One winner at one of the big Festivals than a runner-up in one of the high-end two-mile contests.

I should also say that I have been one of Cue Card's biggest fans since he won his Festival Bumper, and just want to see him achieve all he can. Granted normal circumstances, I don't see how he can beat Sprinter Sacre over two miles. And when you have potentially two to three seasons at peak ability in a tough old game, I wouldn't want to find out too many times whether that is true (once more would be OK of course). As you said, horses can be brought down or fall, but Sprinter is a better jumper than either Kauto Star or Moscow (at least when they were at the same stage of their respective careers), so I don't think you can realistically take him on and use that possibility as a justification.
By:
call it a day
When: 07 Nov 12 21:58
Tom,
At least we are allied on one front...we both want the horse to succeed. I love the horse and was lucky enough to be on for both Bumper wins. I hope we will be celebrating a grade 1 come March,it will be fun to watch the preferred route develop.
By:
duffy
When: 07 Nov 12 21:58
Put simply, CC is still a buzzy bold front running speedster, jumping up to 2.4 or 3 will erode away his effectiveness, he may still be able to perform well at 2.4 but pro rata his optimum performance where he can show off his particular talent will always be at 2 miles for me, yes bumper winners get further but CC and dunguibs wins were different performances than most in that race, they were flashy easy travelling wins that was achieved with dominant speed speed speed.Grin
By:
duffy
When: 07 Nov 12 22:03
Incidentally, i have a different take on tizzards immediate thoughts in running him in the betfair chase, i think he was so excited by his performance at exeter he wanted to find out /dispel the 3 mile issue sooner rather than later, he may be a "little" less worried about avoiding SS than he was last week say.
By:
festivalfanatic
When: 07 Nov 12 22:24
I really don't see what the fuss is about him staying further than 2 miles. The question is, how much further? He won a hurdle race over 2 and a half at Aintree as a 4 year old, ran over the same trip against Grand Crus at Cheltenham (UR) over fences and also Bobs Worth at Newbury.

Tizzard will avoid SS. It was he who dubbed the horse a 'superstar' after the Arkle.
By:
wellchief
When: 07 Nov 12 22:39
I don't see him as a proper speedster to be honest, and he doesn't scream 2 miler to me.

Granted, he put in an excellent performance in the Arkle but that was when he was staying on really strongly at the end.  He was comfortably beaten by Menorah over 2m in the International, and unplaced in the Supreme.

I'm not saying for one minute that he lacks speed, but he a 2.5 miler to me.  His 2.5 win over For Non Stop, and his close second to Bobs Worth were excellent, both giving weight away (he should have beaten Bobs Worth).

Personally, I'd have Sprinter, Finians, Sizing and probably Sanctuaire ahead of him in the 2 mile division.  However, over 2.5 I wouldn't put many above him.

I'd look at 3 miles next year, because I wouldn't ask too much too soon from him, considering he won the bumper as a 4 yo.
By:
duffy
When: 08 Nov 12 12:57
Yes he stays 2.5, but will he put up better figures/performances at that distance, open to question that is, as for 3 miles, heavens!!
By:
buddeliea
When: 08 Nov 12 17:08
A lot open to question with this one duffy!!
By:
judorick
When: 18 Nov 12 14:03
wow going for the Betfair!

fantastic stuff Mr Tizzard, adventurous campaigning, all in favour and the form is working out exceptionally

lip smacking stuff Love
By:
FOYLESWAR
When: 18 Nov 12 14:40
yeehaaa  great news .........took a chance and had some of the 40s available about cue card for the betfair about a  a week ago !
By:
duffy
When: 18 Nov 12 14:40
It is fantastic news, by doing it so early they will be able to have a decent crack at a couple of top 2 mile races when he doesn't get home Wink
By:
judorick
When: 18 Nov 12 14:42
if he can eek out the stamina then he could be a serious tool at 3 miles with all that speed to burn
By:
duffy
When: 18 Nov 12 14:57
It will be fascinating to see how they can get him to resist using all his speed too early, tizzard is going to have to restrain him somewhat and it's whether the horse starts to pull in reply to it.
By:
wellchief
When: 18 Nov 12 15:10
For Cue Card backers, you'll need to hope the rain stays away.  Haydock can turn into a bog very very quickly.

Strange decision imo.  If they wanted a crack at 3m, I would have chosen the King George, but they know best (you'd hope)
By:
buddeliea
When: 18 Nov 12 17:04
Fair enough them trying 3m as they dont seem to know his distance yet.
Personally think the way he runs leaves a big question mark about him getting home over 3m,but should be fascinating viewing.
Still reckon he will end up around the 2 and halfm distance myself.
By:
roobuck
When: 18 Nov 12 17:29
I think its the right race to try him over 3M.

The ground may be an issue, but its obviously going to be a weaker Grade 1 than the KG and they can always go for that after. If he doesn't stay, it leaves them plenty of time to consider other options.
By:
strontium
When: 18 Nov 12 17:48
Good news - an excellent addition to the race next weekend.
By:
judorick
When: 18 Nov 12 18:24
well I'm not so sure they are now Blush

come on Tizzards, this could be the race that makes the 'oss get him in
By:
stevo1
When: 20 Nov 12 02:36
Not declared for Betfair, King George here he comes?
By:
FOYLESWAR
When: 20 Nov 12 15:36
the tizzards are saying peterboro chase at huntingdon on dec 13th  is an option  just 2 weeks before  the king george Shocked
By:
roobuck
When: 20 Nov 12 15:43
Well I was about to invest in CC for the KG, not now
By:
FOYLESWAR
When: 20 Nov 12 15:45
hope they are not losing thier bottle for the king george ?
By:
festivalfanatic
When: 20 Nov 12 16:31
Ground is likely to be deep at Haydock on Saturday. Not ideal for your first shot at 3 miles. I think he'll run in the King George.......where else can he go?
By:
roobuck
When: 20 Nov 12 16:48
That is probably one of the reasons they why they chose to swerve Haydock. But on a blog Joe has said they are thinking the Peterborough is the next likely option
By:
FOYLESWAR
When: 20 Nov 12 17:11
well they have said at the start of the season king george the target !
Page 3 of 13  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 13 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com