Forums

Cheltenham Festival

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
alleged22
29 Jan 13 11:04
| Topic/replies: 4,625 | Blogger: alleged22's blog
not an exact science, but ive used this to fairly good effect over the years for various things, According to their forcast the beginning of march we have NO RAIN and a decent wind, could be that we will get good/good to soft in places for the opening day of the festival

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 274
By:
The Scobster
When: 05 Feb 13 19:45
Anyone who lives near the track got any updates ?. Obviously it's been really soft/heavy recently but according to BBC weather site there's no rain forecast for Cheltenham for the next ten days (5th to 15th Feb)......are we seeing it drying back to good'ish ground ?
By:
Graeme83
When: 05 Feb 13 19:52
Sureley Doncaster was Gd/sft,gd in places the other day there and they've had the same weather as everyone else. Basically nobody will know the going until we see what the weather is like closer to the event.
By:
buddeliea
When: 10 Feb 13 11:34
Anyone know the current situation at Cheltenham re the weather, ground etc

Any updates gratefully received
By:
alleged22
When: 10 Feb 13 11:48
when simon claise was interviewed  yesterday on atr he said when he left cheltenham it was good to soft, but it had started raining and would be soft when he got back
By:
alleged22
When: 10 Feb 13 11:53
fwiw metcheck has feb as unsettled still with good amounts of rainfall at times, but on a positive note its still saying the begining of march will be dry.
By:
buddeliea
When: 10 Feb 13 11:55
yeh,thats the thing,any rain just makes it soft again,cos of the levels being so high.

cheers alleged,
lets keep this going if we can,as the festival gets nearer.
By:
buddeliea
When: 10 Feb 13 11:57
Thats the crucial bit mate for me,beginning of March.
If that proves accurate,we should have normal festival ground.
By:
bigben
When: 10 Feb 13 13:57
Great thread guys, but lets not take much notice of the forecast for March just yet. They struggle to get tomorrows forecast right.
By:
unclepuncle
When: 10 Feb 13 14:06
A couple of other sites to be aware off are www.theweatheroutlook and the Metoffice long rnage forecast http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_alltext.html

Unless Cheltenham has miraculously missed it (anyone living nearby who can confirm?) the weather has been very wet all weekend so I'll be amazed if the going isn't very soft right now.

Next week is meant to be cold and showery so I don't see it drying out much, and then we might get a week or two of mainly dry but cold weather - any forecast past the end of the month is still pure speculation.

Whatever happens I can't believe it will be good like last year (advised on here as the best bet I'd ever seen @ 7/2 3 weeks before the meetingCool). This year I've lumped on soft @ 7/2 with a stakes saver @ 5/6 on good-to-soft. Probably be heavy now knowing my luck.Cry
By:
chief dan
When: 10 Feb 13 14:12
been raining Crazyall weekend ere lads no stopping the stuff
By:
unclepuncle
When: 10 Feb 13 14:16
That's what I wanted to hear - cheers dan.
By:
festivalfanatic
When: 10 Feb 13 19:09
I live in Cheltenham and can't believe the ground is any quicker today than it was on Trials day.
By:
alleged22
When: 10 Feb 13 19:25
thats what claise said on ATR mate, he was interviewed at leopardstown sat lunchtime
By:
buddeliea
When: 14 Feb 13 07:50
Hows it looking at the moment lads?
By:
roobuck
When: 14 Feb 13 08:24
Well if they have had close to the weather I've seen, I reckon it must be still heavy.

According to forecasts the next week is meant to be dry. To me however the next couple of weeks will prove irrelevant if we get rain in the run up to or during the festival - because levels will still be so high, the going will change and that is the difference from recent years .
By:
The Sawyer
When: 14 Feb 13 08:41
Two days of the weather we have here this morning and they will be watering Happy

I have just stepped out of the front door and had to come back in as it is too hot!!
By:
alleged22
When: 14 Feb 13 09:26
got me sunglasses out today for the 1st time in ages Cool, the next 7 days 0.0 mm of rainfall, then showery rain the following week with some dry days, the begining of march is still looking quite dry with minimal rainfall, although 5mm is expected the weekend before the festival, fingers crossed
By:
roobuck
When: 14 Feb 13 09:37
Clearly Spring is on the way, the sun is shining. How could I have ever doubted it would be good ground on the 12th?
By:
conditor
When: 14 Feb 13 10:43
good to soft it is then, mined you if it pissed down from now until the first day it would still be good to softWink
By:
Roger The Butler
When: 14 Feb 13 10:55
Reports just coming in that Simon Claisse is walking the course as we speak in hawaiian shirt, shorts and flip flops. Odds on good to firm tumbling.
By:
buddeliea
When: 14 Feb 13 12:28
roobuck
14 Feb 13 08:24
Well if they have had close to the weather I've seen, I reckon it must be still heavy.

According to forecasts the next week is meant to be dry. To me however the next couple of weeks will prove irrelevant if we get rain in the run up to or during the festival - because levels will still be so high, the going will change and that is the difference from recent years .

Cheers Roo,
makes sense that.

Anyone living round the chelt area,would be good to hear from you.
By:
rogerthebutler
When: 14 Feb 13 12:33
Yeah roo - you're 8.24 post is bang on
By:
rogerthebutler
When: 14 Feb 13 12:34
'Your' FFS!
By:
robbo69
When: 14 Feb 13 12:42
Well my local track (leicester) went from gd/soft to off today with a couple of mm of snow and a very heavy overnight shower. Think predicting going this year is harder than finding winners so back the best horses, they go on most going and worry when you get to the course on 12th what it will be like.
By:
rogerthebutler
When: 14 Feb 13 12:46
Yeah robbo - the punting can wait to assess the going the night before

For me the weather forecast is all about whether to pack gaiters and overtrousers or the leopardskin thong...um...err..I appear to have strayed from my original point somewhat.Crazy
By:
judorick
When: 14 Feb 13 12:53
Cheltenham drains spectacularly well, some would say too well and a week of no rain will see it good to soft

two weeks of no rain and they will be watering to keep it from being too fast
By:
Regular Fries
When: 14 Feb 13 13:26
that depends on how much rain it's had beforehand.
By:
rogerthebutler
When: 14 Feb 13 13:32
Yeah - it's no good saying 'Cheltenham drains quickly', which is true in a 'normal' year. The question is 'drains quickly to where?'

Anyway, what will be will be and I'm not bothering about it now until Monday afternoon of Festival week when the final decs are out.
By:
roobuck
When: 14 Feb 13 13:48
My AP is done I think, though I might have a look at the handicaps. Won't look at anything though that is ground dependent and just think its dangerous to assume that it will be as normal.
By:
judorick
When: 14 Feb 13 13:50
it drains into drains

if you have walked the course you will have seen all the drainage pipes that stick out horizontally and have seen the water, even on a dry day, pouring out... into drains. You are aware that they put in a drainage system, right?

it does not all have to drain through the water table by natural means... it is artificial drainage
By:
alleged22
When: 14 Feb 13 13:53
The question is 'drains quickly to where?'

just found this...

Our own reservoir is full - we had a nice spell of rain after the International meeting in December which enabled us to fill the reservoir so we do have plenty of water in stock.

“The water we collect and put in our reservoir is harvested from the site. What we are doing is catching rainwater and putting it on the course. It then goes into the drains and back into the reservoir - the water goes around in circles.”
By:
Regular Fries
When: 14 Feb 13 14:04
I hope they do get good ground, but don't underestimate how wet the summer was.
By:
roobuck
When: 14 Feb 13 14:11
So judo the trials day was in danger and a fence was missed out for what reason - the drains not working?

So when was that quote from alleged? Sounds like a time that they were watering. No need to take rain from the course and put into a reservoir - with all the rain we've had there will be no room
By:
alleged22
When: 14 Feb 13 14:23
it was from a while ago took ages to find. but it did answer your question, judo is right it goes into drains then into the reservoir, the reservoir is also connected to the stream from cleeve hill, when they do not have enough water they are allowed by severn trent to take if my memory serves me 14 million gallons, when the reservoir is full it simply goes back into the stream, when the second lot of drainage was put in, in the early2000,s they even considered under soil heating, but instead put further drains in which enhanced the drains put in in the 70,s   Wink
By:
Regular Fries
When: 14 Feb 13 14:25
I don't think anyone doubts Cheltenam drains well, I'm just saying it doesn't matter how well it drains (even with artificial drainage) if there's no where for the water to go. It was so wet last summer, when was the last time the New Year's Day meet got abandoned due to waterlogging?

Hope it does dry out.
By:
alleged22
When: 14 Feb 13 14:36
after reading what ive read the last hour or so they will definately be watering the course in the run up to the festival
By:
GoBallistic
When: 14 Feb 13 14:42
In 2002 the Jan meeting had ground that was probably even heavier than this year (the feature chases were 5-10 seconds slower).  Rince Ri won the Pillar chase. The festival had good ground as usual though. Unless anything has changed since then I don't see any reason why a period of dryish weather wouldn't see the same happen
By:
Swagger
When: 14 Feb 13 14:44
I prefer quality horses who quicken and stay as opposed to slow boats who just outstay other horses on horrific ground so have personally always preferred good ground at the festival. However, if it's naturally soft ground then obviously you adapt and back the slower lower class stayers who get through the ground. My concern as we lead up to the festival at this point is if we have a period of dry weather (which looks on the cards) after a lot of wet weather resulting in SC overwatering the ground even if there is some predicted rain which then arrives. The year Katchit won the Champion Hurdle i remember it rained on heavily watered ground and some of the races at that festival were a complete lottery with horses finishing legless - horses who had winning form on soft ground didn't act on the tacky loose ground so in some cases it was basically pot luck if certain horses would get through the ground. So I just hope we don't get that situation this year. Naturally soft ground is fine, good ground is ideal but I don't think we want loads of rain on heavily watered turf.
By:
buddeliea
When: 14 Feb 13 17:03
Well its been soft or heavy more or less constantly since November.Thats 3 months or so,i aint betting against it carrying on into a 4th.
Yes,it does drain well but as has been proved the last few months that dont matter if it rains in between dry spells.
Page 1 of 7  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com