Forums

Cheltenham Festival

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 579 comments are related to the topic:
First Lieutenant, Ryanair or Gold Cup?

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 6 of 15  •  Previous | 1 | ... | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | ... | 15 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 579
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 20 Feb 13 16:28
Of course he has a Chance in the GC. Ridiculous to suggest otherwise imo. But he has a better chance in the Ryanair. I think most would agree on that. So to me, for that reason alone, it makes the decision a no brainer.

But Im not Michael O'Leary or Mouse Morris, who may be so desperate to win the GC, that they are happy to forsake a festival winner to increase their chances, even by a small margin, in the Blue Riband.
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 20 Feb 13 16:29
I've succumbed to a bit of 11/2 for the Ryanair. Could see it being 3/1 on the day.
By:
Ming_the_Merciless
When: 20 Feb 13 16:32
We don't see this the same pal . ...  far from being a no brainer it gives O'Leary two bites - coupled SDC & FL they would be 9/4 to win the GC.... the same a BW will prolly be.
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 20 Feb 13 16:33
No we dont mate. Would be boring if we all did!
By:
sintonian
When: 20 Feb 13 16:34
Thing is Ballydoyle you've been cocky and smug from the beginning. In my experience punters like that are losers.
By:
roobuck
When: 20 Feb 13 16:34
If the Irish have a good week I can actually see SDC going off favourite
By:
Graeme83
When: 20 Feb 13 16:36
"1 blondes, 1 sports car. The part you got wrong was being on a horse that won't run in the race I've backed it for. Good effort though, two out of three 'ain't bad! "

The blonde will leave you once she finds out you've wasted all your loot on the Ryanair. You will be sitting in rustling up a tin of beans and some bread, and she will be out looking for a winner who is counting that FL gold cup loot, and that's where big Graeme steps in. "Excuse me darling, Brent is looking for you, and he has the water and beans on the table, he just told me on the phone whilst i was making the Tescos finest meal and putting a few bottles of Chimay in the fridge". Wink
By:
roobuck
When: 20 Feb 13 16:40
Wow tesco finest. You Glasgow boys sure know how to treat a girl!
By:
its a brent thing
When: 20 Feb 13 16:41
Just about to say the same Roo! Brilliant!
By:
Graeme83
When: 20 Feb 13 16:46
Oh Mrs Brent, it's getting hot in here, could you please fetch my sunglasses whilst i undo the top buttons on my new silk shirt whilst we watching replays of First Lieutenant winning the gold cup, it's quite hot in here.
By:
Graeme83
When: 20 Feb 13 16:53
When you buy from the Tescos finest range in Scotland, you have to put it in two carrier bags incase anyone sees it and thinks you are rich. Your house could end up burgled.
By:
roobuck
When: 20 Feb 13 17:08
And steal what exactly? Grin
By:
Graeme83
When: 20 Feb 13 17:14
The content of your fridge for starters.
By:
buddeliea
When: 20 Feb 13 17:27
Alright lads??
LaughLaugh
By:
alleged22
When: 20 Feb 13 17:28
tesco,s finest lol that tickled me Laugh
By:
alleged22
When: 20 Feb 13 17:36
naw waitrose in glasgae eh graeme
By:
Graeme83
When: 20 Feb 13 17:41
Waitrose...hmmm i don't recall any garden centres going by that name.
By:
roobuck
When: 20 Feb 13 17:42
Clearly not grasped the concept of a restaurant either GrinLove
By:
Graeme83
When: 20 Feb 13 17:44
I'm very familiar with McDonalds thank you very much.
By:
bluebirdfan
When: 21 Feb 13 08:33
The Ryanair gamble continued yesterday...despite Mouse again in an interview this week saying he is being trained for the Gold Cup
By:
johntucker
When: 21 Feb 13 08:50
Can see him going off around 3/1 (Ryanair) at this rate. Those who took the 10s appear to have a bit of value.
By:
BarryM
When: 21 Feb 13 11:10
Trainer interview here for anyone interested
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2013/0216/1224330114953.html

I think a lot of people are assuming that the owner will want to run him in his own race (for anyone who doesn't know, FL is owned by Mr O Leary, owner of Ryanair). That could be a false assumption. He had the same issue with War of Attrition and backed his trainer - and won the gold cup. Which you'd think makes it more difficult to over-rule his trainer.

The other thing to consider is China Rock. He is in the same ownership and also in both races. Been a bit in and out and I don't know why he missed the Hennessy (they were very bullish a week beforehand), but he could also run in either race. He has bits of form which would make him a big contender in the Ryanair, and has always had plenty of speed.

My view is that if the ground is no worse than GS, First L will definitely run in the gold cup. If it's softer, he probably can't win either race so they may as well run in their own. I think the current speculation is based on a belief the ground won't dry out in time. We'll see about that, but Simon is already priming his hosepipes.
By:
booster
When: 21 Feb 13 11:18
I thought China Rock ran in yellow colours, has he been bought by Gigginstown?
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 21 Feb 13 11:23
Think he meant same trainer, not same owner!
By:
johntucker
When: 21 Feb 13 11:32
I didn't know China Rock was a Gigginstown horse.ShockedAre you sure?Confused
I'm basing my assumption on the fact that the two were kept apart last year and that IMO FL is far better suited to the Ryanair distance. It appears to me that Fl is being kept in as a back up to SDC. Although I could be wrong of course.
By:
booster
When: 21 Feb 13 11:39
Don't think he is unless they've bought him recently but isn't he better right handed anyway?
By:
johntucker
When: 21 Feb 13 11:41
I don't really rate China Rock as being top notch either, unlike the two Gigginstwon horses, so he doesn't really come into my considerations.
By:
booster
When: 21 Feb 13 11:42
I'd agree with that, more of a Punchestown type horse, when all the top ones have run in the main festivals at Cheltenham and Aintree, like he did last year.
By:
Tipping
When: 22 Feb 13 11:20
Mouse Morris just been on ATR, Gold Cup is the race for him trainer says will not have speed for Ryanair.
By:
sintonian
When: 22 Feb 13 11:21
Peeps may wish to listen to Mouse's interview just now on ATR, to quote '' FL does not have the toe for the Ryanair'' Chapman asked about his stamina he then said ''oh yeah all he does is stay''
By:
bobbycat
When: 22 Feb 13 11:56
Backed Fl at big odds for both the Ryanair and he Gold Cup, my own feeling is that Ryanair would be best but I don't train the horse or pay the bills so you have to trust them.

Looking forward to the Gold cup and hopefully I will be cheering FL home
By:
booster
When: 22 Feb 13 12:08
His comments haven't exactly rocked the market, have they? Another Irish trainer trying to put you away. Makes no difference to me as I'm on @ 10s NRFB for the Ryanair and he won't win a Gold Cup as long as he barely gets 3 miles never mind 3 miles 2 furlongs in a Gold Cup.
By:
booster
When: 22 Feb 13 12:09
As he's also said re the owners, "If they say jump, I'll jump".
By:
Ballydoyle
When: 22 Feb 13 12:19
"All he does is stay"...that's why he's never won past 3 miles ladies and gentleman and anyone watching the last furlong of the RSA, Hennessey or Lexus might just want to disagree with that....
By:
sintonian
When: 22 Feb 13 12:31
Well that's alright then isn't it Booster.
By:
sintonian
When: 22 Feb 13 12:36
Ground at the moment is continuing to dry too. Weather forecast looks promising although that can obviously change.
By:
buddeliea
When: 22 Feb 13 12:43
Sounds to me like hes saying the horse over fences aint very quick and his staying power is his main asset.
Whats wrong with that?
He should know,and it could be that the reason he aint won at distances above 3m is cos he has faced a better stayer,as in Bobsworth and Tidal bay eg.
He may be doing you potential Ryanair backers a favour.
Not me though ive backed him ages ago for both,and dont get my free bet if he goes Gold Cup.Sad
By:
johntucker
When: 22 Feb 13 12:49
I'd argue that it takes a stayer to win the Ryanair, and that history supports that theory.
By:
buddeliea
When: 22 Feb 13 12:54
Fair point,but this horse does improve as the season goes,and it sems his connections think the GC is the best race for him.
I am prepared to wait and see before having a pop,even though i am much better off if he goes Ryanair.
By:
booster
When: 22 Feb 13 12:55
And so would I, but he's a classy one having beaten last season's Champion Hurdler over the trip in a Nepyune.
Page 6 of 15  •  Previous | 1 | ... | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | ... | 15 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com