Forums

Cheltenham Festival

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Gustavo_1000
13 Feb 11 19:47
| Topic/replies: 80 | Blogger: Gustavo_1000's blog
Does anyone think Starluck will run in the Arkle, i hear he's taken well to fences and i think he could be live contender, but is it worth having a little punt?

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 13  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 13 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 502
By:
Meat Loaf
When: 13 Feb 11 20:01
Avoid like the plague.
By:
magic carpet
When: 13 Feb 11 20:15
Why avoid like the plague?a high class hurdler rated 160 with loads of grade one form including in championship races at the festival he deserves respect if going over fences in what looks an open renewel of the arkle.Granted he does have better form on flat tracks than at Cheltenham and that if connections do opt to go chasing he will lack the experience of the vast majority of his potential rivals but even so if he were to make his debut over fences in the next week or two and put up an impressive display of jumping he may enter the fray in what looks an open race
By:
Gustavo_1000
When: 13 Feb 11 20:30
I believe the plan was always to send him chasing next year, but with the CH becoming increasingly competitive, he may fair better over the bigger obsticles this time around.
By:
brigust1
When: 13 Feb 11 20:38
Runs in the Kingwell at Wincanton on Saturday. After that they will decide whether or not to go for the Arkle or the Champion Hurdle. I put him up a while ago and had a few quid on at 40s and 50s just in case.
Well Chief only ran in his first chase in February before winning the Arkle and Champleve only ran in 2 chases, both in February, before winning the Arkle.
By:
magic carpet
When: 13 Feb 11 20:44
No entries have been made for novice chases beyond this week yet but there are novice chases at Huntingdon on Feb24th,Sandown Feb 25th and Kempton Feb 26th all over 2miles maybe they could be potential targets if connections decide to go over fences.For what its worth i don't think they will go over fences until next year however
By:
crownbarman
When: 13 Feb 11 20:50
they will have to get a run over fences or he will be like a nervous virgin going on a club 18-30 holiday,don,t think cheltenham,s his course antway?
By:
magic carpet
When: 14 Feb 11 17:35
Interesting Starluck has not been entered in the Kingwell Hurdle at Wincanton on saturday maybe he may go novice chasing afterall?
By:
buddeliea
When: 14 Feb 11 18:18
i've had a litle play on him for the Arkle,if he takes to fences quickly he would figure in this field.As for Cheltenham,he does seem to run better on flat tracks,but watch the CH last season,he gets home quiet well.
By:
1st time poster
When: 14 Feb 11 18:39
low flat speedy jumper of a hurdle,doesnt strike me as one for fences
By:
brigust1
When: 14 Feb 11 22:05
According to trainer jumped well at home and either going for Kingwell or a novice chase. We'll see.
By:
magic carpet
When: 14 Feb 11 22:09
Thats why i thought it was significant that he was missing from the Kingwell entries
By:
Tucho
When: 14 Feb 11 22:10
obviously he'd be the best hurdler in the arkle field, but he still hates cheltenham right?
By:
magic carpet
When: 14 Feb 11 22:30
4th in a triumph hurdle and 5th in a champion hurdle not bad considering he supposedly hates the place does also have winning form at the course albeit against some modest horses.I'm going to have a speculative punt
By:
brigust1
When: 14 Feb 11 22:34
He wouldn't be ideal I suppose but this doesn't look the greatest bunch imo. That's why I took a punt on him.
By:
magic carpet
When: 14 Feb 11 22:36
What prices are you on at if you dont mind me asking brigust1?
By:
brigust1
When: 15 Feb 11 10:03
Hi Magic, read post above.
By:
magic carpet
When: 15 Feb 11 18:20
Sorry brigust1 must have had a bit too much magic potion!Managed to get bits and bobs on at 40s
By:
brigust1
When: 15 Feb 11 19:02
Well I wish us both good luck, Magic.
By:
Gustavo_1000
When: 15 Feb 11 20:49
So its starting look like he'll take his place in the Arkle, anyone got any idea where he'll get a run before? If he will?
By:
ftm
When: 15 Feb 11 21:01
he would have to run beforehand surely...no entries yet.will it be entered in the national spirit?
By:
Gustavo_1000
When: 15 Feb 11 21:10
Game spirits a good shout, hopefully will know by tomorrow night, if he's in it.
By:
ftm
When: 15 Feb 11 21:12
not the game spirit...national spirit[hurdle race at fontwell]
By:
Goretski
When: 15 Feb 11 22:50
Anyone backing this nag for the arkle this season are nuts! Give it to charity! Having said that, will probably go and win now! Laugh
By:
ACStafford
When: 15 Feb 11 23:06
I couldn't be interested in a novice chaser that I hadn't seen over fences at this stage of the season. Granted, that would see me missing out on Well Chief, but I'd still rather see him tackle them first. This Arkle certainly doesn't look like a classic, something which has no doubt been caused by the addition of this new race, but I still think the top 3 in the market look pretty solid.
By:
Rondetto
When: 16 Feb 11 02:17
Starluck is like one of those sad eye puppy dogs you would give your kid for her birthday. Lovely to look at but that's about as far as it goes where Cheltenham is concerned. What makes them think he'll get the trip in the Arkle when he blatantly didn't get it in the Champion Hurdle is beyond me. With FR and Ghizao the pace will be fast and furious and he'll burst like a balloon if he runs

Actually to be sending any horse chasing at this point of the season is nuts. What if he wins a poor novice chase and then get's stuffed in the Arkle what then? He'd be finished for the season and lost the opportunity to win a few good novice chases on nice flat tracks next season. I'd put him away until next year personally then go chasing.
By:
geton
When: 16 Feb 11 02:35
the race hasnt got much strength in depth i actually think its a good decision to go for it.

if he jumps he does have a high cruising speed that will give him a chance. may not be the strongest finisher up the hill but with the race being thin on the ground in terms of quality i wouldnt be surprised if hes there or thereabouts.

tipped on the RP site yesterday but non runner no bet. not sure anyone is even doing this concession yet tho so an interesting shout
By:
brigust1
When: 16 Feb 11 06:52
Yes, perhaps waiting until next year would be the best bet. Especially with Peddlers Cross, Menorah, Oscar Whisky and Mille Chief likely to be among the opposition. Won't be as strong as this year.
By:
buddeliea
When: 16 Feb 11 07:45
Rondetto,watch the CH again mate,he got up the hill ok.
By:
Rod Tidwell
When: 16 Feb 11 09:08
I'm in agreement with Buddeliea. Didnt get home in the Triumph but strengthened up and wasn't tieing up in the same way in last year's Champion. Still think he could have place chances at least in this years race if the ground is good given the race should be run to suit and he should now be at his peak as a 6yo. Big surprise not to see him in the Kingwell field though.
By:
bluebirdfan
When: 16 Feb 11 10:50
Surely won't go chasing now, would need an entry in a chase within the next two weeks if so
By:
thelegend
When: 17 Feb 11 15:37
goes nov chasing next week
By:
brigust1
When: 17 Feb 11 15:46
STARLUCK SET FOR CHASING BOW

Alan Fleming has confirmed Starluck will make his debut over fences within the next fortnight with a view to a tilt at the Irish Independent Arkle Challenge Trophy at Cheltenham.

The grey has been running consistently well at the highest level over the smaller obstacles for the past couple of seasons and was last seen placing third behind Binocular in the Christmas Hurdle.

Despite having not yet seen a fence in public so late in the season, Fleming is keen to go down the chasing route to see how his stable star fares.

"He's going to run over fences either next week or the week after and then, if all went well, he could run in the Arkle," said Fleming.

"He might run at Huntingdon next Thursday, or there is a race for him at Taunton a week or two later.

"He's been schooling away over fences and he seems to enjoy it and he's good at it.

"We always wanted to broaden our options with him and after Cheltenham we have Aintree and Punchestown to look at as well.

"We'll just have to see what happens on his next run as that will tell us if he likes it or not. We'll play it all by ear.

"If he enjoys it next time and does it well, then why not go to Cheltenham?"

Fleming is on the look out for a new jockey for his six-year-old however, with regular partner Timmy Murphy in line to ride leading hope Ghizao in the Arkle.

"We might have to find a new jockey unfortunately as Timmy will probably ride Ghizao at Cheltenham," the trainer continued.

"We haven't made any other riding arrangements yet, but we're discussing it. I think it's important who ever rides him in his first chase would ride him in the Arkle, though."
By:
NIGHTWALKER
When: 17 Feb 11 16:23
admire Fleming going fencing but surely cannot pull off this and win the Arkle.He don't get home on stiff undulating tracks over hurdles as it is so why does he think he worth trying over fences where they use more muscle groups jumping higher and landing.

Surely wait for Aintree Alan if you want to go down fencing route with Starluck, and give him couple of prep runs prior.
By:
revedesivola
When: 17 Feb 11 16:34
the chelters hill is always a worry as he barely stays 2 miles but its easier to get the trip over fences
By:
brigust1
When: 17 Feb 11 16:43
Where do you get that theory from Nightwalker?

Possibly 3 best runs have been at Cheltenham. First time finished just behind Walkon in the Triumph who then beat him much further, next time out at Aintree. Next time he bolted up then last time finished a good 5th in Champion Hurdle with Medermit over 6 lengths behind. Best form on offer here? That should be good enough.
By:
buddeliea
When: 17 Feb 11 17:18
Great news,i was hoping for this.He will add a fair bit of excitement to the race imo,and his 5th in the CH is best piece of hurdling form in the race.Just hope he takes to the fences,cos if he does hes a big player.
The hill would be a slight concern but he did seem to get home ok in the CH,and i am sure he has strenghtened up this last year.
By:
jetodd
When: 17 Feb 11 17:18
I've taken some of the 40's, roll on next Thursday. Grin
By:
tweedledumbtweedletwat
When: 17 Feb 11 17:21
itl be worth a chance
By:
brigust1
When: 17 Feb 11 17:30
^^Agree with you there Bud.
Just had a few doubles and a yankee with Sidjames Dunguib (20), Starluck (40) Cue Card and Quevega. To win a small house. Cannot wait.
Page 1 of 13  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 13 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com