Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 379 comments are related to the topic:
The Windrush generation

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 10 of 10  •  Previous | 1 | ... | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 379
By:
lfc1971
When: 01 May 18 13:30
I no longer consider myself to be British, so its all yoursHappy
By:
lfc1971
When: 01 May 18 13:33
I,ve resigned
By:
donny osmond
When: 01 May 18 14:37
deadly was , err,  deadly on them uncovered wickets
By:
donny osmond
When: 02 May 18 20:33
MPs have voted against an opposition motion calling on the government to disclose
papers on Windrush migrants.

Labour had hoped to force the government to release documents about its immigration
policy relating to people who came to the UK from Commonwealth countries.

They arrived between the late 1940s and 1970s but some have been threatened with
deportation in recent years.

The government won the vote by 316 votes to 221.


The prime minister has said an upcoming review will have full access to the required
documentation.

But shadow home secretary Diane Abbott told the Commons that Theresa May should
accept responsibility for the crisis and accused her of ordering her MPs to "vote to cover
up the truth of her involvement".


She said many people felt "all roads lead back to the prime minister", with Mrs May having
previously been home secretary at the time the government brought in changes to
immigration rules in 2014.

Home Secretary Sajid Javid said the review would have "independent oversight and challenge"
and aimed to understand how members of the Windrush generation "came to be entangled in
measures designed for illegal immigrants".






a three line whip from the tories to hide iheir shame !
By:
PorcupineorPineapple
When: 02 May 18 20:39
Transparency baby.

Welcome to brexit post truth.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 02 May 18 21:40
very sad moisok,
By:
moisok
When: 02 May 18 23:20
yes you are right whispering

it is terribly sad how little fuss there is about landan knifings and the avoidance of the telford et all scandals

more importantly the haste to do something about windies but little done about telford - in fact the police have tried to play it down

Exactly what is happing about knife crime in landan? 

but they can rush around in circles over the windies
By:
donny osmond
When: 03 May 18 20:10
great to see gretel home, finally allowed back having gone to a funeral

well done chanel 5
By:
akabula
When: 03 May 18 20:20
These lefties know how to lay it on thick. Laugh

Immigration policy under Labour would see only one question asked.
Q Do you have a right to enter and stay in the UK? If yes the answer then they'll be okay.
For those who don't speak English then a baffled expression will suffice.
By:
donny osmond
When: 03 May 18 20:45
imagine going to a funeral, not being allowed home, losing your house

finally getting home a decade or so later

some folk think its funny , staggering
By:
saddo
When: 03 May 18 21:18
The overreaction of some is amusing me tbf.
By:
moisok
When: 03 May 18 22:34
shame there isn't the same reaction and massive press coverage and, particularly, about the thousands of girls harmed, assaulted even killed in towns and cities around the country

same with the culture of crime, violence, knife crime and killings in landan

but then it is the wrong groups being mentioned

there have been a whole clutch of them this week but seems to go under the radar (drug gangs locally here in my area-( wrong lot) so doesn't get much more than local reporting etc et)
By:
donny osmond
When: 04 May 18 09:39
The Jamaican-born father of former world boxing champion Steve Robinson has spoken of his relief after being told he can stay in the UK.
Eighty-four-year-old Stanford Robinson feared he would have to leave the country after being caught up in the Windrush scandal.
The former taxi driver has now been given indefinite leave to remain by the Home Office.
Mr Robinson said: "It should have never come to this in the first place."
Mr Robinson came to the UK in 1955 and initially worked in London before settling in Cardiff.

But despite living and working in the country for 63 years, Mr Robinson - who now lives in the Llanishen area of the city - said he was shocked when he discovered he had to reapply for naturalisation.
He later discovered that because he failed to register his British citizenship following Jamaica's independence, Mr Robinson had been relinquished of his British nationality without his knowledge.
"I couldn't believe when the Home Office told me they had no record of me being here," he said.

There was lots of uncertainty about what would happen next. I also felt like that I was being made out to be a liar."

The father-of-six - including former featherweight world champion Steve, who fought Prince Naseem Hamed in 1995 - met with Home Office officials for more than two hours on Wednesday before being officially being told he had indefinite leave to remain.
Family friend Charles Willie, who has been helping Mr Robinson with his case, said the pensioner hopes to get a special ID card - a biometric residence permit - within the next week.
"The good news is that the question of his status has now been cleared up, but there are still issues over his citizenship and his passport which still need to be cleared up," said Mr Willie.

Mr Robinson's case first came to light this week when it was raised in the House of Commons by Cardiff North MP Anna McMorrin.
The Labour politician said: "Stanford had been living in this country since the 1950s, working and paying taxes his whole life here and making a valuable contribution.
"I am very pleased for Mr Robinson that the uncertainty surrounding his situation has been cleared up - albeit following major media coverage and the issue being raised in the House of Commons.
"However, it does not diminish the anguish and upset that has been caused to a man in his 80s. And what about the people who have been too afraid to speak up?"
By:
saddo
When: 04 May 18 09:48
Too afraid to speak up? They'll be kicking the doors down now there's compo on the table.
By:
donny osmond
When: 15 May 18 20:04
looks like early count puts it at 63 deported wrongly
By:
donny osmond
When: 15 May 18 23:15
63

may thought it might be zero .....
By:
donny osmond
When: 04 Apr 19 00:34
so government will compensate those wronged with our money....

around £200 million reckons mr javid
By:
donny osmond
When: 08 Apr 19 14:52
and probably more compo for this...


The Home Office has admitted breaching data protection rules when it launched the Windrush compensation scheme.
The department sent information to Windrush migrants in a way that meant their email addresses could be seen by other people.
An internal review has been launched and the matter has been referred to the Information Commissioner.
Immigration Minister Caroline Nokes apologised "unreservedly" for what she said was an "administrative error".
The data breach affected five batches of emails, each with 100 recipients, Ms Nokes added.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 08 Apr 19 15:07
so government will compensate those wronged with our money....


So punish the people whose fault it is!
By:
donny osmond
When: 10 Jun 19 16:22
The Empire Windrush arrived at Tilbury Docks, Essex, on 22 June 1948

The Home Secretary Sajid Javid has apologised to another 49 victims of the Windrush scandal.

People who were sanctioned, for example losing their right to work, and others who were illegally
detained under immigration powers after they had completed their prison sentences, were among
those to be sent apology letters.

A total of 67 people have now received personal apologies from Mr

He said he was "committed to right the wrongs of successive governments".

Thousands of people were wrongly targeted by the "hostile environment" strategy for illegal immigration in
the Windrush scandal.

Many of those affected were people from Caribbean countries who arrived in the UK after World War
Two, between 1948 and 1971.

Mr Javid said the experiences of some of the Windrush generation - which involved wrongful detentions
and deportations - had been "completely unacceptable".

The government's Commonwealth Citizen's Taskforce would be reaching out to individuals they were not
already in contact with to provide any assistance required to document their status and to explain the
compensation scheme, the Home Office said.



An estimated 500,000 people now living in the UK have been called the Windrush generation, in
reference to a ship which brought workers to the UK in 1948.

They were granted indefinite leave to remain in 1971 but thousands were children travelling on their parents' passports
, without their own documents.

Changes to immigration law in 2012 meant those without documents were asked for evidence to continue working,
access services or even to remain in the UK.

Some were held in detention or removed, despite living in the country for decades.

A review by a Home Office taskforce of 11,800 Caribbean cases in 2018 identified 164 who were deported or
detained who might have been resident in the UK before 1973.



The Commonwealth Citizen Taskforce, which is open to all nationalities, was established by the Home Office to
"right the wrongs experienced by the Windrush generation".

A compensation scheme for those affected opened in April and the government said there was "no cap" on the
amount victims could receive.

More than 6,400 individuals have been given documentation confirming their status so far, including over 4,200 individuals
who have successfully applied to become British nationals, the Home Office said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48585147
Page 10 of 10  •  Previous | 1 | ... | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com