Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
workrider
24 Dec 10 19:46
| Topic/replies: 31,798 | Blogger: workrider's blog
is near foaling , i hope not , have a wonderful xmas and may you breed a world champion .

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 158
By:
SquidlyDiddly
When: 24 Dec 10 20:09
or do an "endless summer" and enjoy it while it lasts!
By:
workrider
When: 24 Dec 10 20:28
ah summer what a thought in this weather Grin
By:
RipVanWinkle
When: 24 Dec 10 20:48
Not yet they have a while to go i hope
By:
workrider
When: 27 Dec 10 07:57
prayers may now commence ...
By:
workrider
When: 30 Dec 10 15:29
alls well i hope .
By:
workrider
When: 01 Jan 11 19:44
i'm glad everything went well .
By:
workrider
When: 07 Jan 11 18:37
please let us know if your mare has foaled and weather it was a colt or filly . thank you and good luck to all breeders this coming season .
By:
Prima Donna
When: 07 Jan 11 20:42
Well Workrider, we have had a tragic day today. A young mare, due her 3rd foal very soon and half sister to a Gr 1 winner and from a current, top class family  broke her leg had to be put down this afternoon. Nothing could be done for mare or foal.

Sometimes, however close to foaling you think you are, until you have a live foal on the ground you are no closer than the day they are covered. Slick always says, 'you have livestock, you have deadstock' but on days such as this it is little consolation. She was a homebred, a very nice mare to deal with and with a smashing temp.

Good Luck to everyone waiting.
By:
neill d
When: 07 Jan 11 22:02
Half sister to a Gr 1 winner..........Sorry to hear that, good luck for the year ahead Prima.
By:
potentialmillionaire
When: 07 Jan 11 22:05
Jeez.

My sympathies to you and particularly Slick, Prima. Somehow you think with the broodies that it should all be a little more sedate. A serious injury is not what we keep as a likely scenario for sure.
The mare you breed yourself that is nice to have around is quite the best reason to do the job and as it's happened to me at just about the same stage I know where you are right now. T
By:
Prima Donna
When: 07 Jan 11 22:23
Thanks to both of you,you can't help sometimes to feel the rug is pulled out from under your feet,before you really start!!!Plain
By:
RipVanWinkle
When: 07 Jan 11 22:53
Sorry to here that PD
By:
workrider
When: 07 Jan 11 23:51
really sorry prima donna really bad news my friend ., i know from experiance having dealt with owners waiting for mares to drop  their foals the fear of something like that happening . really bad luck prima , i hope you can pick yourself up from this nightmare and get on with your business , over the years you have been very helpful to others less fortunate than yourself , i think everyone one on here join me in wishing you many years of good fortune in the future . god bless .
By:
Prima Donna
When: 08 Jan 11 00:25
Thanks Workrider,onward and upward as they say,and thanks for your kind words........these things happen!
By:
Posh Paddy
When: 08 Jan 11 09:10
Tragic news PD, my condolences to you and SNS.  Hopefully this is the only bad luck you have for some time to come.
By:
RipVanWinkle
When: 09 Jan 11 02:24
Foaling time means a lack of sleep
By:
RipVanWinkle
When: 09 Jan 11 05:34
Serious lack of sleep is what i meantPlain
By:
potentialmillionaire
When: 09 Jan 11 13:16
With you there Ripvan. Hate it. A nightwatchman is top of my list when the Euromillions comes up!
By:
workrider
When: 09 Jan 11 15:55
remember sitting up night after night waiting for the milk to start running , yes lads a hard few months ahead . still its worth it when yo breed a world beater .
By:
Prima Donna
When: 09 Jan 11 18:08
Its always nice to see your favourite mare foaling (providing it all goes well)we always try to be here when our mares foal that's not always possible mind,I never personally get up except only for my own worthless mare,but I am well used to the 'phone ringing night after night at any given time,only for the loving owner to go and see her new foal.Sometimes it drives us all to drink but we all like it really I think.One things for sure I have no plans this year to get up as my mare is barren!
By:
RipVanWinkle
When: 09 Jan 11 18:17
But the enjoyment PD of seeing what the mares have is nearly the best bit of the year
By:
Prima Donna
When: 09 Jan 11 18:22
I agree Rip Van but for me is nice to have my breakfast then go and have a look at the mare and foal,that's the way I like itHappy
By:
RipVanWinkle
When: 09 Jan 11 19:05
Everyone has there own ways. Was just watching the 2000 gns that Sea The Stars won there to see was there any colts behind him that interest me apart from the ones i already have my eyes set on but couldnt really find one but i was wondering how do you think Sea The Stars will breed and will his book be as good this year it should surely?
By:
workrider
When: 09 Jan 11 19:13
prima donna , was just passing my old stomping ground ins a few years ago around 10pm said i'd pop in and see if anything was happening , low and behold marwell you remember her ... was just about to start foaling ... kind of her not to keep the staff up all night eh ....
By:
Prima Donna
When: 09 Jan 11 19:30
Good question Rip Van,STS is one I can't make my mind up on..........one things for sure he would of been given every chance last year,his book was fantastic.Mind you I also think his half brothers book will be every bit as good this year if not better it did take a slight dip in quality as I thought it would.Cape Cross as a sire of sires?Don't rate him that much yes he's fine but for me I think he's overrated,but no hiding from the fact he is from a outstanding producing family so couple that to the family of Urban Sea and he should make it,but I just have a niggling doubt I don't really know why.Do you think he will come up with the goods?Can't really see him getting 2y'olds can you?

workrider yes I remember her too,hope you got some sleep after!
By:
RipVanWinkle
When: 09 Jan 11 20:00
With the different types of mares he has covered top class two year olds have to come, but when breeding to to Sea The Stars surely Classics are the main objective if i had a mare going to Sea The Stars i wouldn't be thinking of two year old races at Ascot. When you think of it the foal is mostly going to take after the dam so the dam is the most important, he received top class mares so the foals should take after there dam with the help of
STS ability they could be top class. He comes from the best family in the book he was absolutely fantastic on the track if he disappoints at stud it will be very disheartning for all connected to him.
Hard to know with Cape Cross being a sire of sires but if he is any way like Green Desert, STS should do very good.

Galileos book will be good but who will use him at the price is what i'm struggling to see
By:
potentialmillionaire
When: 09 Jan 11 20:30
I've no idea how much you have to produce for a Galileo nomination and I know you maintain a commendable discretion on tha matter of private fees Prima Donna. Have you got much of a clue Ripvan? Is it a large variation (depending on the quality of mare proposed?) I always suspect that once shareholders, foal shares, Juddmonte type deals, nomination swaps etc etc. are completed then does much money ever change hands?

Sea The Stars worries me in that what level of success will make him successful? The mares covered leave no margin for error do they. In a way it's hard to see him being anything but a disapppointment because of the stratospheric hopes we hold for him. However I see no flaws in his actual potential and because of his pedigree mix I think he could bring out a variety of traits from his mares. I know Galileo's brilliance as a sire perhaps gets him 2yo's that he might otherwise not have sired but STS could have potentially more chance in that sphere.
By:
Prima Donna
When: 09 Jan 11 20:48
I think Pot'M is right is that because hopes are so high for STS that he almost can only be a disappointment. Remember Generous? Another excellent racehorse with a great pedigree and sent high class mares. Arguably had a better chance due to his sire than STS and stood with a good nursery in Juddmonte. Another great racehorse that had a great sire but didn't quite live up to sky high expectations is Dancing Brave. although a cold hard look at his results would tend to show he did respectably well, by not producing a son as brilliant as himself straight off he immediately was tainted as disappointing.

There is every reason to think that STS would be a good sire and he will not have lacked for help that is for sure! Though Galileo has always had the might of Ballydoyle and A P O'Brian to prop up his results. Is Aga Khan and John Oxx going to prove as potent a leg up? I can see STS becoming a high class owner/breeder type in a few years time.

Galileos book will be good but who will use him at the price

Us Rip Van! We are sending a couple. He is  so commercial atm that there won't be a lack of mares for him.
By:
RipVanWinkle
When: 09 Jan 11 21:13
I have a fair idea of his price Potm but it really does depend on the mare. We're sending one mare to Montjeu and that is very exciting for us his fee is at a commercial level we believe but Galileos fee leaves no room for error.
I'm with there PD, Coolmore make sires by sending there offspring to O'Brien i can see him having a few STS in training when the time comes but who will be the major trainer that helps STS become a success at stud. Many of his offspring will be kept to race by the breeders so one can imagine that Aga Khan will have a large amount of them hopefully Suroor will not get any as it will be a complete waste of talent
By:
Prima Donna
When: 09 Jan 11 22:52
I agree Rip Van S'bin Suroor is next to useless,nice guy mind to talk to.Pot M must of gone to bed.
By:
workrider
When: 09 Jan 11 22:59
agree re sts lads . every oppertunity to fail .... hopefully he comes right at first time of asking , a truly magnificent racehorse, and hopefully a truly remarkable sire....
By:
workrider
When: 09 Jan 11 23:00
prima not sure if i asked you before , are you near newmarket ?
By:
Prima Donna
When: 09 Jan 11 23:10
No workrider I live here in Co' Kildare Ireland,but yes I have a house in NMKT,so I suppose I have both!
By:
workrider
When: 09 Jan 11 23:16
no prob .
By:
Prima Donna
When: 09 Jan 11 23:27
Indeed if you were at the INS I'm sure I have met you,you must of met Slick many times!
By:
RipVanWinkle
When: 10 Jan 11 00:49
PD your not the person who knows JL are youLove
By:
RipVanWinkle
When: 10 Jan 11 04:09
More worried about my own sanity at this stage than anything else
By:
workrider
When: 10 Jan 11 15:35
prima may years ago . prob know you alright .
By:
workrider
When: 15 Jan 11 11:31
nothing to report .... ?
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo