Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
workrider
24 Dec 10 19:46
| Topic/replies: 31,727 | Blogger: workrider's blog
is near foaling , i hope not , have a wonderful xmas and may you breed a world champion .
Pause Switch to Standard View anyone on here worried their mare
Show More
Report workrider February 14, 2011 6:31 PM GMT
over a week now and no more foals ?
Report potentialmillionaire February 14, 2011 6:48 PM GMT
I'm ever more overdue workrider! I'm thinking of donning my gloves and going in with a rope attached to the tractor!

I don't know if Prima Donna is following this. . . Got anything you're excited about yet P. D. ?
Report workrider February 14, 2011 7:53 PM GMT
Laugh  keep a steady hand potential ...prima is now sleeping full time in the foaling unit i hear....
Report Prima Donna February 14, 2011 8:09 PM GMT
LaughLaughNow workrider I know you are not being serious!Yes we have a couple of new foals so far a nice colt by a first season sire[;)] and two filly's both by Coolmore sires,the colt has obvious commercial appeal one of the filly's is a bit of a rat the other is a good sort with a plenty good enough page without being outstanding.
We have far too many to go yet mind,saying that my own worthless mare who is barren is now retired so Slick got her way in the end(always hated her) but the little darling will live out her days attacking some of slicks blue bloodsLaugh.
BTW has anyone heard if anything by Bushranger has been foaled yet?
Report workrider February 14, 2011 9:16 PM GMT
well done prima delighted for you...is the rat a first foal ?
Report potentialmillionaire February 14, 2011 9:42 PM GMT
Well I think if Irelands no.1 broodmare is retired Slick should replace her with one of hers Prima - that's only fair.
Incidentally I've found ones that are born small and ratty can often make massive progress. Small and fat don't and large and light often never strengthen either. Anyone else have the same idea?
Report Prima Donna February 14, 2011 10:44 PM GMT
workrider,no the rat is foal No4 we have given her every chance so a trip this autumn looks on the cards.
Pot M,I'm not allowed anymore mares as I seem to have a small herd of that mares stock running about at various agesLaughnone of the ones here will be sold including the star herself,its got to being an in house joke with both Slick and her stud groom.
And yes I agree with your appraisal regarding foal progress,we had a utter rat born last year here one look told us we had no chance it at best looked like a small twin but after a few months it grew into a seriously good sort that is almost completely unrecognisable from what it was last year.Out of interest what feed do you use? We always use  Red Mills 20% foal pellets then yearling nuts from new year.
Report potentialmillionaire February 15, 2011 6:42 PM GMT
My God Prima, don't the waifs and strays mount up! I had a clear out pre Christmas '09, made some unpleasant but I think morally sound decisions about 3 mares and much as it took me some time to get over it, the end emotion was relief and an optimism at a streamlined operation.

And here we are spring 2011 and I find myself with 3 new extras  and back to where my spirits were before!! Problems, problems. . .[smiley:crazy]

I feed Dodson and Horrell over here. Foal creep pellets as soon as, which if memory serves come in at 18 % and then onto yearling at 16%. We perhaps differ in as much as I move onto yearling cubes a bit earlier than you but basically, great minds etc etc!
Report potentialmillionaire February 15, 2011 6:47 PM GMT
That mare foaled this morning - I'd forgotten the thread - a colt praise be!

However she is a maiden and not proving to be mother of the year. Having a go one minute and then loving it the next. She will feed him pretty well and is slightly protective so I'm hopeful. I've been standing at the door ALL day and have risked leaving her for a couple of hours now. So I best go out now and see what I'm left with!
Report Prima Donna February 15, 2011 9:55 PM GMT
Yes Pot M the strays do mount up,I seem to own a whole load of horses from a very moderate at best family,I have a yearling filly who will go into training later this year she is now the last.
Its always hard sorting out mares some have to go and some head off to the sales,its never easy is it?We obviously only use Red Mills food here but our daughter over in the UK like you was feeding Dodson and Horrell it is about the best UK brand but now after her Misu Bond foal was with us it did so well on Red Mills Slick's advice was to keep it on it,after some difficulty in sourcing it in the UK she now only uses it and she reports a remarkable improvement in her stock.I don't know but when you are at the sales do you think the our horses have the edge on the English ones?As imo most of the ones from over here do have the edge on the English but I'd be keen to hear views on that from anyone reading this who has used both brands or just has an opinion on this.Happy

And well done for getting a colt hope all is going well with your mare and foal is it by your sales topping sire from last year?[:x]
Report yer ma February 15, 2011 10:49 PM GMT
We use Saracen and prefer it to D&H but its marginal.  We used to train on Red Mills but its harder to get where we are now.  vis a vis 'english' / irish I dont see a big distinction.  I'd say there's more of a difference between best US and here.  We've tried to import some magic ingredients recomm. by Taylor Made but its hard and moreover they cant send over 20 hrs of sun a day.
Report potentialmillionaire February 16, 2011 6:32 PM GMT
your foal is it by your sales topping sire from last year?
Prima Donna, even I sometimes learn by my mistakes Laugh This foal is by a potential 'mistake' too, but I am safe in the knowledge that you have made the same mistake. (Previous posts, not inside knowledge) too. Shocked

I am afraid I am not really in a position to comment on English/ Irish bloodstock 'turnout', other than it's a massive sweeping statement! I just don't get to enough sales to compare and contrast.

I do think that a lot of 'appearance' is perhaps about the quality of oils in a feed. I also am not a fan of fat bullish youngstock (Camas Park springs to mind) and neither of these things are necessarily something I am aiming for. I perhaps aim for a 'fitter' profile than some and it definitely suits some buyers just as the 'Show Fat' individual still suits some others maybe.
Report Prima Donna February 16, 2011 7:04 PM GMT
Pot M I have just typed a reply only to press the wrong key so have lost the ****ing lot.............if I can I will do it again but we have guests tonightPlain[;)]DevilHRE springs to mind!!!
Report potentialmillionaire February 16, 2011 8:07 PM GMT
Gee, that's just the most uplifting thing we do on here is it NOT!
Report Prima Donna February 16, 2011 10:08 PM GMT
To both yer ma and Pot M,
yer ma Saracen is good I think its from the US but I'm not sure I see you did once use Red Mills so shall I take it that you also think its about the best.You don't see a big distinction,that is perhaps right but I have always thought that stock fed on Red Mills always seem better than ones fed on any other feed,but you make a fair point about the US yearlings and I agree the sunshine always helps.
Pot M,
potentialmillionaire     16 Feb 11 18:32 
your foal is it by your sales topping sire from last year?
Prima Donna, even I sometimes learn by my mistakes  This foal is by a potential 'mistake' too, but I am safe in the knowledge that you have made the same mistake. (Previous posts, not inside knowledge) too.It can only be HREGrinwe are NOT sending anything to him this year he might do it but for us he has NOT so its a no go for us.I tend to agree about the Timmy Hyde brigade,one stud who ALWAYS sends out really well done stock is Croom House from over here,I always think their stuff looks great............and you can guess what they feed!!!!!!For me I like yearlings to look racy but on the fatter side of lean
Anyway must get back now is your foal doing well?good luck with it hope he goes the right way for you(T.O')
Report potentialmillionaire February 21, 2011 8:47 PM GMT
I've been stuck on a chair outside a stable door for the last 4 days and nights, hence you guys all getting a break from my rantings. The mare is still undecided whether motherhood is for her.

I'm sort of giving up the will to live and have decided to let nature take it's course for a few days and then will have to think about fostering.

Thanks for your thoughts Prima, if the mare becomes a born again 'barrenner' then I suppose she would become easier to ship - maybe I could chase you know who to Germany Laugh
Report RipVanWinkle February 22, 2011 3:38 AM GMT
sleepness nights are so annoying
Report Prima Donna February 22, 2011 1:48 PM GMT
Oh Pot M lets hope she gets on with it soon is she running milk?We have one here who always runs milk for 3+ weeks before foaling piddling about all the time looking like she may start to foal at any second of those 3 weeks,they are a bloody nightmare sometimes,mind you a long wait you should get a colt............and NOT by the 'great German'LaughLaugh DON'T DO IT!!!Let us know when it does come and in the meantime get some rest and keep eating.Happy
Report Lairy Mary February 22, 2011 4:09 PM GMT
Interested to hear you are big Red Mills fans.  I tried out most when training and I more impressed by it than anything else.  I still use it on my 9yo Piccolo gelding who is now hunting and he looks incredible on only 2 bowls Cool'n'cooked a day - real muscle on his neck and shoulder rather than fat.  I found when I had him on the equivalent D& H the weight fell off him.

I am suprised that you found it difficult to obtain in the UK.  All you need to do is contact head office and get them to supply your local feed merchants.  Better still ring up the feed rep, say you're thinking of using it and they will turn up with loads of free samples.

I have one mare waiting to foal (mid-March) - shes a first timer due to Striking Ambition - as she had a bit of attitude, I'm hoping she takes to the foal OK.  Fortunately shes up in Newmarket so I won't be having sleepless nights!
Report Prima Donna February 22, 2011 5:23 PM GMT
Sorry Pot M I've just re read your post you must think I'm pi$$ed as now I can see she has ALREADY foaled!!Lets hope it all goes well I know how exasperating the situation can be.

Lairy Mary,My daughter did contact her rep who then I understand got a supply for her,I'm glad you also agree with me as imo its the best feed by miles.
Good luck with your mare I did have a look at a couple of foals by Striking Ambition at Tatt's Dec' sale,fingers crossed you get a good looking colt.
Report potentialmillionaire February 22, 2011 7:59 PM GMT
Thanks Prima - I was struggling to work out which of us was going mad as I was a bit ambiguous wasn't I! The mare's attitude has improved and now she is dropping into foal heat which has mellowed her a bit too. It's all a bit odd as she is a meek and mild thing, always at the bottom of the heap. I wonder as she has finally got something weaker than her she is making up for lost time and enjoying being the bully for once.

Anyway, she has a ton of milk and the foal is doing well so I am looking forward to a night in my own bed tonight - Bliss! Onward and upward, we hope.
Report potentialmillionaire February 22, 2011 8:14 PM GMT
Lairy Mary, your feed anecdote is very interesting. Being able to compare an established horse so clearly with the two different feeds is very educational. With your Misu Bond, Prima, it's not so clear is it as he was boarding at another hotel.

Were the Dodson and Red Mills feed you used on your 9yo equivalent types Lairy?

I shall have to look more into it. It would be a wrench to change though as my Winners % is pretty satisfactory.
Report Prima Donna February 22, 2011 8:37 PM GMT
Yes Pot M that's true but when the Misu Bond was born it was tiny,our daughter and her husband were a bit disappointed it was light of bone,the dam is a good sort,so as they live over in the UK it was fed on Dodson and Horrel feed later the mare came to us as she was booked to a stallion here in Ireland.She was then like all of ours given Red Mills Feed,it really did nothing but improve I last took a look at her a couple on weeks ago she is without bull-mucking everyone superb,and totally unrecognisable from the rat she was early last year,you may remember me saying a very good judge of foals/yearlings picked her out as the best foal he had seen all summer,he like a few others was stunned we had a foal by Misu Bond here.Our Daughter is convinced her stock has greatly improved since switching to Red Mills,she has one mare who suffers from stomach ulcers that mare never use to look right in her coat she never looked well but now on Red Mills looks totally right and carries plenty of condition,do take a look at it its never easy swapping I know but we can always improve things and always look for ways to achieve change for the better.
Report Lairy Mary February 24, 2011 6:51 PM GMT
PM - I have him on Red Mills Cool'n'cooked (just 2 scoops a day) and I guess I used the D&H equivalent (my supplier had run out of Baileys which I was on at the time so I was forced to substitute - not something I like doing!)  I am also bringing on a youngster to go eventing at the moment - when I started riding him at the begining of the month he was really weedy - a 6yo but looked like a poor 3yo.  So I have stuck him on Red Mills and already after 2 weeks, his coat is starting to shine and there is good muscle developing.  He was on a bog standard mix before and it was like riding a beach donkey!  The owner who lives in London wanted to event it last w/e but I have explained he needs proper conditioning first!

I also ride out some pointers - one is a youngster who is very buzzy so the owner feeds the cheapest range (not even a race mix)so he looks very lean - I am desperate to get him on some quality feed but the owner is not so persuasive at the event rider!
Report potentialmillionaire February 24, 2011 8:24 PM GMT
Thanks for that Lairy Mary, I'm not sure cheap feed is the way ahead if you want to train a winner either. Good luck training your owner, one of the lesser joys of the job!!
Report Young Broodmare Filly Wanted March 4, 2011 12:01 PM GMT
1st foal for me last night, colt by Misu Bond.  Mares first 5 foals all colts :) Hopefully will see overweekend at Hedgeholme.  Anyone any news on Misu Bonds first crop?
Report potentialmillionaire March 4, 2011 6:33 PM GMT
5 colts! Do you want to sell that mare, Y B F W ? Laugh
Report workrider March 4, 2011 10:55 PM GMT
well done keep em coming ....
Report Prima Donna March 5, 2011 6:30 AM GMT
Bryan Smart has got I'm pretty sure 3 by Misu Bond also Geoff Oldroyd Reg Bond's trainer has got some but I'm not sure how many.See also that they hold entries in the DBS sales race,like you Young Broodmare Filly Wanted I hope Misu Bond does well this year,and my god you must be both delighted and very lucky to get 5 colts on the bounce well done.Happy
Report Littleun2 March 18, 2011 10:19 PM GMT
I have uploaded piccie of colt foal born on 3rd March to my website.  Hes double of his full brother from last year Hedgeholme think hes slightly better.
Report Prima Donna March 19, 2011 8:32 PM GMT
Littleun2,You seem to have 2 user names you seem very much like Young Broodmare Filly Wanted are you him?

We have a nice mare who has just had her first foal last night,its one we had in training she is well know and was good so I cant be more specific,but looking at the little rat who also happens to be a filly its times like this you cant help thinking 'why the effing hell do we bother'LaughSadI'm told it can only improve...........I sure as hell hope so!
Report potentialmillionaire March 19, 2011 9:16 PM GMT
Lawks Prima, I hope it's not 'that' mare. You'll be blaming the stallon if so - as he's not your favourite?

I remember foaling a colt 7 or 8 years ago by the most expensive stallion I had ever used and I remember despairingly saying to the mare "how could you do that with that stud fee" as I sat back in the straw with my head in hands! It subsequently jumped through hoops and was very profitable.

I reckon with a maiden mare you stand most chance for a miracle!
Report Littleun2 March 19, 2011 9:54 PM GMT
Its me YBFW as it looks likely that Im selling up so I dont want young filly no more....

I'm happy with the colt, I have fingers crossed last years 2 year old has progressed well over winter and Dandy Nicolls can follow up with last years win
Report Prima Donna March 20, 2011 7:57 AM GMT
Sorry to hear that Littleun2,I hope your 2 y'old does well I will keep a close eye on him.

Pot M,
As you can imagine I don't always hold the same view as you know who when it comes to selecting stallions,I don't think its 'the' mare you are thinking of..........a clue this one is Bay![;)]
I know how you feel when your pride and joy produces nothing more than a little rat,my  own pet (now retired) did just that on a regular basis I have often said to her whilst feeding her a carrot"how can you do this to me"her reply looked like she was saying back to me "because you love me"Slick always thinks I am mad whenever I go to see her.Happy
Report potentialmillionaire March 20, 2011 6:15 PM GMT
Ah Prima, thanks for your tip! As you suggest, I was barking up the wrong tree and just to prove I am not a deranged stalker, I wouldn't know about your other mares but I hope the foal in question is ballooning as we speak.

I am quite worried that your personal breeding empire has been much wound down. I think that friendly ( I hope ) friction probably served you well at Slick-Prima Towers Laugh
I could always find you something low grade to re-start your empire and provide Slick with a stick to beat you with! Devil
Report Prima Donna March 20, 2011 8:27 PM GMT
Pot M,my personal breeding empire has by and large finished,I have a few of her stock in training and a yearling filly who I like that will go into training later on,she does look a real early sort.

Yes Slick and I have always have had friendly friction when talking and looking at each others mares,we will say things like"look here comes that dreg of yours"or "that worthless thing needs putting down this autumn" but we know we are only joking.
Thanks for the offer to replace my mare I must say the idea of slick beating me with a stick does sound fun but I really have been told to stop adding to the never ending list of dregs I am responsible for!!
Report Lairy Mary March 24, 2011 5:53 PM GMT
Big strong colt (by Striking Ambition) last night for my mare - really pleased as she's a maiden and not over big although she is strong & stocky herself.  Foal up and about really quickly and suckling too.
Report potentialmillionaire March 24, 2011 8:46 PM GMT
Well done Lairy Mary, sounds like a very promising start for your mare.
Report Prima Donna March 27, 2011 10:50 AM BST
We have had a few foals this week,a couple by Bushranger they are nice sorts very strong they do look likely to do the job,a Galileo colt and a filly by Danehill Dancer(wanted a colt)and a nice colt by Dandy Man,nothing wrong with him also two filly's by the great Verglas.Still plenty to go but atm we seem to have more filly's than colts how are you all getting on?Has it been delight or disaster!Happy
Report potentialmillionaire March 27, 2011 7:44 PM BST
I'm sorry you are slightly imbalanced to the fairer sex Prima, but I guess with your pedigree's (on the whole!) you are more able to cope with a filly than us bottom feeders.

I'm afraid that I sat my girls down over the winter and made it quite clear that fillies wouldn't hack it. Anything less than proper colts and I'm going under & then it's who knows what would befall them. As you know 1 colt so far so let's hope someone else has some proper news.

I'm particularly interested for a report from Ripvan as they have made moves to upgrade over the last year or so and it must be exciting times at Winkle Grange. Are you still struggling with those matchsticks irritating your eyelids Ripvan?

Do you all get a bit more excited by the Galileo's Prima - or terrified? I suppose it's not necessarily the quality of the nomination you've purchased but the quality of the cerished mare that warrants it that floats your boat (and all ours really allbeit at different levels Laugh )
Report Prima Donna March 27, 2011 9:11 PM BST
Pot M,If you want to sell then like you we want colts,and no being by Galileo does not mean anymore than being by Dandy Man,its just how much is your profit margin going to be.

Do you all get a bit more excited by the Galileo's Prima - or terrified? I suppose it's not necessarily the quality of the nomination you've purchased but the quality of the cerished mare that warrants it that floats your boat

Yes its the mare really for us as its always great using these sort of sires but it is that bit better if you are lucky enough to have that level of mare,all that being said mind earlier in the season there was a buzz around the yard waiting to see the foal by one stallion in peticular,this I think you may be able to guess which sire[;)]
Report RipVanWinkle March 27, 2011 9:40 PM BST
Well i'm doing ok at the moment have a few colts around the place at the moment and there is one in particular who is an absolute nightmare to deal with so i have no option but to geld him even though his bloodlines are quite nice.
Foals are doing well so far have a couple of nice individuals but unfortunately have a terrible foal by a very prominent sire from last year the foal just is not correct at all and this is so disappointing on a commercial level for us. We have so far had a good season with mares being covered and scanned already so we are looking forward to the next couple of months. Potm we have a nice sort by a sire you used last year aswell hope you'll have the same look.
Have you made any more plans for your mares?
Report potentialmillionaire March 27, 2011 10:11 PM BST
Oh Ripvan, you do appear to have a few soul searchers out there! Sad to have to geld a yearling, but it's not impossible to sell them by any means. If he's a real belter you'll have all sorts thinking they can buy a horse that no-one else is chasing and all of a sudden you find your chasing group is quite satisfactory!
Is your disasterous foal out of one of your new mares? I hope not as it's not nice to have the doubts creeping in so early! Is the foal still young enough to come good? We've all had some horror stories in front who come good - and ofcourse those that start off pretty good and then deteriorate!
Glad you've got a nice sort by you know who - what I wouldn't give to join you there! getting closer. . .
I've booked my last mare now - but we'll look at her at the end of the week and decide whether to sign the contract!

Prima, like we say, if that foal causing a bit of a buzz for Team Slick was interesting for it's sire, then I'm pretty damn sure the dam would be just as exciting for me if I'm right [;)] Is there a general satisfaction surrounding it?
Report RipVanWinkle March 27, 2011 10:18 PM BST
Yes a new mare but not to worry the foal is fit and well so maybe a big change could come. He should sell provided he loses the attitude not sure when he got it as he was relatively quite as a foal. What did you book your mare to potm is she coming back here. Heard of a few nice deals in the UK have you tried to avail of any of them?
Report Prima Donna March 28, 2011 12:33 PM BST
Prima, like we say, if that foal causing a bit of a buzz for Team Slick was interesting for it's sire, then I'm pretty damn sure the dam would be just as exciting for me if I'm right  Is there a general satisfaction surrounding it?

I'm sure you would be excited about the mare POt'm, we certainly are. Even though, as you know, I don't like greys.Yes there is general satisfaction around the foalCool
Report workrider March 28, 2011 12:35 PM BST
prima donna ...was down my old stomping ground ns last week had a look at verglas , enjoying himself in the paddock ...
Report potentialmillionaire March 28, 2011 1:31 PM BST
Well Prima, you're going to have to start liking young hot grey mares soon, otherwise I might be round one night and they can come and live where they're appreciated LaughThe ramp on my horsebox doesn't squeak!!

Ripvan, the mare in question is going to come over to you if she is looking good at the end of the week. I'm not going to send her any later than this so I imagine she might be rested if she stays here as I'm really not enthused by the UK options. I'd be interested to know what deals you are hearing about here as a lot of the popular types are not available. Is it marking down of the ones you wouldn't want anyway?

Once I'm comitted with this mare, one way or another, I'm happy to reveal all!

A curved ball. I have heard that a certain Tipperary outfit are being a little more careful with the numbers taken this year. They say that it is a conscious decision, others may say it is a lack of demand. Any one care to comment?
Report Prima Donna March 28, 2011 5:58 PM BST
workrider, doesn't he look well?Pot M,Vale of York perhaps?Reckon your point about a certain stud in Tipperary being careful with numbersShockedLaughI suspect your latter point is far more valid.You only have to think back to the yearling sales last year to remind ourselves how much in demand that set ups sires really were.

Rip Van,I read that your new mare has had a foal that you are very disappointed with,is it her first or has she had one or two before?If she has could that be the reason why 1,her owners wanted her gone and 2, you got her for such a good price?I think Ive told you about a mare Slick paid over 100k for she had a great page and a super looking mare but she had absolute c,rap foals none made more than about 1k one died at 8 months the star herself made about 3k when sold a few years later.That mare had had 2 foals before we got her none had gone into the sale ring.................now I know why.
Report RipVanWinkle March 28, 2011 7:35 PM BST
The mare has had quite a number of foals one or two blacktype offspring so its not a question that she will not breed a good one for us we're just trying to figure out why the foal is so poor.
Potm the horse stands at Dalham was offered a good price on him i'll let you guess, we have used a few Darley stallions again this year even though we stayed away from two of the stallions we used last in Shamardal and Iffraaj they have some nice stallions i think. As for Coolmore you have to look at it that the number of mares will probably drop again this year and Darley have some nice horses at Kildangan. So is it Vale of York your using?
Report potentialmillionaire March 28, 2011 8:11 PM BST
Ripvan, I suppose the Dalham horses are at a tricky stage in part and there would have been deals for all but Ex & Ex and Dubawi. I know there were various deals on the others but I'm thinking that your surprised best offer was New Approach? Autho Halling Kheleyf would have been dealers too at more discount than Shirocco maybe.

No it's not Vale of York. He didn't ever get very high up the list and no-one on here seems to have seen him so how could I go without the say so of my learned Betfairians!

What is the actual problem of your tricky foal? We might be able to offer some similar case encouragement - or discretely remain schtum if you're shafted Cry

Prima I remember your tale about Slick's purchase, I found it very entertaining and not a little terrifying! I take no pleasure in it - but if pressed could wish similar disasters on one or two others! - but it is always  with a sense of camaradie that we think 'our turn next' Cry
Same question of Ripvan really, did Slicks mare repeat a similar fault every time?
Report Prima Donna March 28, 2011 8:47 PM BST
Yes Pot M all of that mares foals were horrors with the only exception being the one that just decided to drop dead one day,she really was the biggest walking disaster ever to set foot on this place,a point that I often mentioned when Slick was assessing the merits of my now retired pet mare.You are right mind we as breeders do have a touch of camaradie esp' on this forum Cool.

Rip Van it may just be one of those things but is the foal by a first season sire?If it is perhaps he gets moderate stock
Report RipVanWinkle March 28, 2011 9:59 PM BST
Hopefully its down to the sire but all the blame cant really go on him so maybe the cross of bloodlines is to blame as they did suit each other. She has been covered since and i am very happy with the choice of stallion this year different bloodlines to this years foal. Potm the foal just has bad limbs which is what i dont like and by the looks of it always will the foal is a couple of months old and has not straightened up. The deals where quite reasonable and i do know of a couple of people using New Approach as he was top class on the track i think some of his brilliance was overshadowed by STS but thats what racing is all about.
Give us a hint at what your using Potm
Report RipVanWinkle March 28, 2011 10:20 PM BST
Well its a horse that PD doesnt like so i'm thinking Lord Shanakil or Arcano(not sure if he likes him or not)
Report Prima Donna March 28, 2011 10:27 PM BST
I will wait with baited breath but I am all ears Pot'M.Laugh Rip Van, Arcano is fine..........
Report potentialmillionaire March 28, 2011 10:33 PM BST
I'm not sure Prima is particularly anti Ripvan but I've just got a recollection that the horse has been assessed with a bit of indifference!

Isn't it funny how a boring bit of news suddenly takes on a whole new complexion when it has temporarily been withheld Laugh As I'm sure you know, my life's just not that interesting Laugh
Report Prima Donna March 28, 2011 10:42 PM BST
Pot'M, have you been speaking to Maurice????
Report potentialmillionaire March 28, 2011 10:45 PM BST
No!!!! and goodnightGrin
Report Prima Donna March 28, 2011 10:48 PM BST
Well time will tell. Goodnight Pot'M
Report RipVanWinkle March 28, 2011 10:49 PM BST
Do you call maurice or do you call a uk nominations person
Report Prima Donna March 29, 2011 10:37 AM BST
My guess its a Darley stallionLaughNever before have I been sat right on the edge of my seat waiting for such news!!!The suspense is killing me Grin[;)]
Report potentialmillionaire March 29, 2011 7:44 PM BST
Laugh Laugh

Looks like I might pull off a shock result, but lads I think we all need to get a life !!!

Ripvan, I deal with the stallion studs myself as any time I try an agent they never seem to be any better at the job than I am re price and avalability. So I save myself the 5%.
Report Prima Donna March 29, 2011 8:09 PM BST
I don't know about "a shock result"I will be going into shock when I finally hear the news,please break it to me gently Pot M and then I can stop pacing my office floor!Laugh
Report potentialmillionaire March 30, 2011 7:32 PM BST
I've got one of the lads from the yard coming up to your office Prima - don't worry if you are unfortunate enough to catch sight of him he'll tug his forelock most deferentially - he's bringing a bale of straw and some old tyres. We can't have you losing all that hard won 'condition' Laugh
Report Prima Donna March 30, 2011 8:58 PM BST
LaughLaugh[;)]
Report Lairy Mary April 4, 2011 11:12 AM BST
Just been sent my first photos of my colt by Striking Ambition and he's a real cracker.  Strong, correct and a good chunky backside.  I'm a bit gobsmacked to behonest!  He also has a pretty strong character (already bossing the others around) which they tell me is a good thing?
Report potentialmillionaire April 4, 2011 1:58 PM BST
Well done Lairy Mary, sounds like a good start, I bet you can't wait to get him home so he can start bossing you around! My best colts have been a mixed  bag 'personality' wise - but I seem to be a better filly breeder so what do I know!
Report Lairy Mary April 4, 2011 11:00 PM BST
I have just been going through the next Ascot catalogue and there is a mare in there I used to know when she was trained (lot 118) - cannot understand for the life of me the choice of matings but she was a nice type in the yard and very well thought off (I think she was Oaks entered at one stage and certainly the best filly in the yard at the time) - shes got to go cheap?
Report Lairy Mary April 4, 2011 11:10 PM BST
Having just looked up her race record, I can't believe how poor she ended up!  She really did work like a nice mare and you can see the yard thought so by the prices she was sent off.  She has a fair page and I still reckon she'd be worth someone having a pop at cheap.
Report potentialmillionaire April 5, 2011 5:42 PM BST
Lairy Mary. I've had a look at that mare as I figure I need to be a bit more enterprising in my acquisitions!

I've some history with that page and it is truely 'enormous' I would be very wary of it on those grounds alone. I can guess why she would have ended up the N.H. route. Am I being unfair on this mare?
Report Lairy Mary April 5, 2011 6:49 PM BST
Do you mean the mare was big in size or yours was? Or am I being thick?  From what I remember she was a nice mare, a good type without being boat-like and she did work well with decent horses.  Admmitedly the trainer did over-hype his horses BUT I was very suprised to see her sold to go down the jumping route.  She was honest & sound which was probably why they kept running her.  Trainers brother was the agent who used to buy for them and he was a pretty good judge.  I will ask a friend who was there too what he remembers about her.
Report potentialmillionaire April 5, 2011 8:04 PM BST
I've had my last foal, colt by Acclamation incidentally. Thenk god for a colt!!!!!!

I'm not going to pronounce on the front wheels for a while but he'd be pretty typical of the sire and the beam end is filling out rapidly so pretty pleased so far.
Report Prima Donna April 5, 2011 8:20 PM BST
Well done Pot M a great sire is this the mare that you may send over here?If so are you ready to us who she is booked to yet?Confused
Report potentialmillionaire April 5, 2011 9:08 PM BST
This is the mare that had the 'sales topper' last year Prima! You probably don't remember but if she repeats the deal with Acclamation then things might look a bit rosier.

Hell, you've gotta have a dream Laugh
Report Prima Donna April 5, 2011 9:16 PM BST
potentialmillionaire     05 Apr 11 21:08 
This is the mare that had the 'sales topper' last year Prima! You probably don't remember

Oh I do Pot M,having a dream this year is better than that 'nightmare' sire your sales topper was by last year!!!Laugh
Report RipVanWinkle May 3, 2011 3:34 AM BST
Just in from delivering a nice colt foal who is out of a stakes producing mare so thats nearly it for the year
Report potentialmillionaire May 3, 2011 7:48 PM BST
Wel done Ripvan, pour yourself a drink!
Report Prima Donna May 5, 2011 5:30 PM BST
One of our mares who is well know has been very tricky to get in foal this year,easy foaling then went straight in foal and promptly lost the pregnancy,then as they sometimes do took to twins..........after successfully squeezing one of them next scan all ok only to find next time she's lost it so we are now back at square oneCry.Its getting on a bit in the season but we shall have to keep going.Plans will have to change as she was a candidate for the sales but that looks very unlikely indeed,its a pain but that's mares for you.I've been told lots taken to twins this year anyone else suffered this during this season?
Report sammy_fool May 5, 2011 6:26 PM BST
what sort of strike rate are people getting with there mares in foal this year-ie how many first time in foal-mine has been poor at 60-65%.
Report potentialmillionaire May 5, 2011 10:20 PM BST
I'm afraid my family is one of notorious twinners. My first foaler this year was foaling the non-pinched sibling and the dam herself was a triplet!
I seem to have a good vet for the disposal of the unwanted - and I always make sure he ditches the chesnut filly - and I've got a 15day scan next week of a twin ovulation.

sammy, are you using busy stallions? It doesn't take much to knock these huge book stallions back and then they're playing catch up and there mightn't be enough swimmers on parade when you trip up!

Sorry about your difficult mare Prima, it's so frustating - and expensive - but I suppose you've only got yourself to blame for pencilling out a plan! Tell me you didn't commit the cardinal sin of telling her Laugh
Report Prima Donna May 5, 2011 10:31 PM BST
Oh I'd love to whisper something in her ear now...........it wont be sweet nothings either!Grin
Report Littleun2 May 6, 2011 1:09 PM BST
I have covered 2 mares this year.  One scanned with twins, second absorbed on 30 day scan
Report potentialmillionaire May 6, 2011 1:28 PM BST
Littleun, is the twinned mare successful now? Bad luck with the other one, you've certainly had a bellyfull.
Perhaps it should be compulsory to post mare issues on here. I'm having a nightmare with one but the others are okay. It feels very isolating when the problems occur and when you only talk to one or two people it always seems they've delivered 100% bay colts with the dams being back in foal by the end of Feb.

But real life is not really like that Cry !
Report Littleun2 May 6, 2011 9:43 PM BST
yep I got her home yesterday :) along with a Misu Bond filly yearling
Report Prima Donna May 6, 2011 9:49 PM BST
what sale are you hoping the Misu Bond filly will go to?Festival at Doncaster perhaps.
Report Littleun2 May 6, 2011 9:55 PM BST
alot will depend on how her brother does tomorrow would guess.... she has some growing to do.  Any tips on feeding over the next few months?
Report potentialmillionaire May 6, 2011 10:21 PM BST
Green Grass Little'un.

Absolutely unbeatable right now. I never feed yearlings at this time of year, just a lump of rock salt. Then by July I might give a uniblock or something similar. I would want to be confident you are well wormed if you are a bit concerned she is struggling a bit.
Report Prima Donna May 6, 2011 10:25 PM BST
I'd try to put her on Red Mills yearling nuts if you can get hold of them (not so easy in the UK I know depends where you are),personally I think its the best food by miles,the Misu Bond we have is on them and she is in fantastic condition with her summer coat now.She would be one for Donny I think,good luck tomorrow with the colt I did see he was running fingers crossed Littleun2.Happy
Report Littleun2 May 6, 2011 10:28 PM BST
thanks I will see what I can find on the web.  It will be our luck he runs well as we didnt cover the mare this year despite her best foal we have had from her.
Report Prima Donna May 6, 2011 10:28 PM BST
potentialmillionaire     06 May 11 22:21 
Green Grass Little'un.

Absolutely unbeatable right now. I never feed yearlings at this time of year, just a lump of rock salt. Then by July I might give a uniblock or something similar.ShockedShocked[smiley:crazy]
Report potentialmillionaire May 6, 2011 11:08 PM BST
Prima, on good quality land - and I've no doubt you'll be confident on that front!  a typical mixed grass pasture will be firing at about 18% protein right now. I appreciate that won't last for ever but against a horses requirements at 12 -18 months of 14% at the most (overall), well you're not going to convince me that supplementary feeding right now is a great idea!

Come July I quite like them to drop a bit of condition as I find it easier to build them up a for the sales than do battle with starving those fatties (usually fillies) who aren't too fond of their work either!  ( Yes I fear owners are just like their petsCry)

I know we all 'skin our cats' differently !

Good luck with your runner Little'un - I've no idea who it is so I trust it's going to win the Kilvington Stakes or one of the Gr.3 trials Cool
Report Prima Donna May 7, 2011 10:30 PM BST
Littleun2,Saw a reply of your colt this evening...........well lets just hope the penny drops soon,the sire has a few nice sorts running soon so don't feel to down beat just yet,I am still hopeful!

Pot M,
Reading your post I can't help but wonder if perhaps this is why the English yearling can sometimes just look a touch behind our Irish yearling.That's not to criticise your methods as we all do things differently and if you are happy with that why change it obviously works for you,as a rule we tend to feed all summer that's not to say we shovel it down them,we give them one small feed per day as it just helps them develop the right way.ATM I am very happy with the way they are all looking.Personally I don't like to let them loose condition later in the summer as often they do that for themselves anyway when they come in as most tend to get a bit 'tucked up' for the first week,I find its easy to loose the weight but harder to put it on esp' when you are up against the clock with the sale date always ticking away!
Report Littleun2 May 7, 2011 11:00 PM BST
Evening Prima, I've not given hope yet.  I was surprised on how low his odds were I was expecting much higher running against some of the price tags.  Did you see race? 

I hear some nice ones kicking around I'm still hopefully for the bargain basement stallion
Report Prima Donna May 7, 2011 11:23 PM BST
Littleun2,
No I didn't see the race live only saw it tonight on the replay.I'm glad to hear you still have faith in the stallion,the mare that was going to the sire this year was with my daughter and son in law they had an offer and sold her in the end so we have not used him after all...........pity as her yearling is such a nice sort,I'm very tempted to put it into training myself as I am very impressed with it,but they want to sell it this year so we will have to see.We have horses with D.k.Weld along with others over here but I'm not so sure they would be the best for it as its a typical Hannon/Channon sort so who knows I might just send one to either of them yet!It does depend on if I could afford it mind!!!Laugh
Report potentialmillionaire May 8, 2011 8:30 PM BST
Prima, it's interesting to hear the fundamental difference between your yearlings coming in when you like them a bit over and I like mine to come in a bit under!
I expect with a lot of your 'classic' type pages - although acknowledging your attention to keeping them sharpened up - we are starting off from a different place. I'm bring in yearlings with no scope by scrubby sires who have nowhere spare to put the weight other than round their middles!

Just thinking about the perennial leading studs at Tatts (excluding the Camas 'Tanks'!) our favourite Cry, Highclere, along with Newsells, Watership Down and Meon Valley. Are they selling well despite being behind you Irish? As I've said before, it's not something I can really comment on as I don't see enough yearlings but
many years ago I worked for the outfit that really shaped the way yearlings are presented nowadays so I still remain a little sceptical on the Irish Sea 'divide' Grin

P.s. Hannon not Channon!
Report paddywhacker1970 May 8, 2011 9:09 PM BST
Some interesting comments, lads. I was talking to my vet about twins the other day and she made an interesting point. She said that she has been coming across an increasing number of twins in the last 10 years and she has a theory why. She believes that twinning is a heritable trait, but in nature, mares inclined towards twinning will be taken out of circulation quite quickly, as the difficult births (presuming they don't abort) will result in the mares dying or getting so torn up that they won't be capable of carrying a pregnancy to full term again. Thus, the twinning gene isn't reproduced very often. However, with the modern method of pinching one of the twins, the twin gene continues to thrive. Apologies if this is a well-known theory, but it was the first time I had heard it.

Just to quickly quiz Potentialmillionaire on something you said. Where did you get your figures on the nutritional value of grass? I once had an argument with a man based in a foreign country not renowned for their lush green pastures, as he was insistant that grass was of little value and in his country, the best yearlings were raised almost exclusively on concentrates, with brilliant results. I would love some nutritional figures to throw back at him!
Report potentialmillionaire May 8, 2011 10:12 PM BST
There's very little in this world that's not down to genetics paddywacker - it's just a b*gger trying to untangle the code - but I'm sure your vet's twinning theory is an accepted one. Seeing as we aren't goung to go back to turning a stallion out in a field with 20 mares to get on with it, I can live with an escalating twinning 'problem' as it can always be dealt with in the industry as it stands.

Breeding in problems is ofcourse a problem. Let's hope the yanks get to grips with their racing drug issues as that is a proper threat to the breed, i.m.o.

I have a friend who has a brilliant old book on feed values including carrots and turnips! She was quite go ahead in her day before concentrates, not accepting a simple oat based diet. I remember grass meal and skimmed milk feeds, it was a real alchemy!

Have a look on the interweb - it's all out there somewhere!
Report Prima Donna May 9, 2011 1:11 PM BST
Pot M,I don't see any great fundamental difference between any flat yearling as imo all want to look at their best when presented at any sale,saying that mind I do understand about wanting a sharp 2 y'old type and as you say a 'classic'type.Personally I don't think we are starting off from such a different place as I've said many times ours cover a wide range of sires for all poss' markets including the 'cheap scrubby'sires to the expensive sires,the ones you need to take a sharp intake of breath when signing the nomination form.
A good point too about places such as Watership Down,Highclere and co,they do achieve very good results and their stock always look right,perhaps it just comes down to sheer cost and how much certain individuals are prepared to go to to get the maximum back always off setting it against the perceived value of the horse,after all its really only about what return you can get when it comes down to it.When you think about it why else would we risk so much?
Paddywhacker1970,

Could it be the case today that with so much use of drugs that if and when a mare puts up a folical after say having a jab of PGL she then puts up more than she naturally would they then in tern ripen at the same time generally on both horns,if left the natural way she would more than likely only put up a folical on one horn and so greatly increase your chances of twins?Also if we short cycle a mare who may have not been covered on her foal heat but is then bounced back shortly after the same happens,if it were left to nature doubt this would happen so often at least.Perhaps this is why the vet has seen an increase in the number of twins conceived in the last ten years, veterinary science has moved forward a lot in that time you may take the view its not always for the best. Add in the now massive books stallions cover its no wonder vets spend half their lives fiddling with mares always trying to get them spot on as if always left to nature doubt the sire would be able to cope as they would pretty much all want covering on the same day and all at once.
Report potentialmillionaire May 9, 2011 3:42 PM BST
But ofcourse we want the same thing at the end. Mind you these yearlings do differ massively in my opinion when they come in. You've always got the ones who look fantastic after 3 weeks prep and you think, my god what am I going to do for the rest of the time! Contrast them with the ones you're working all hours and the heamorraging  of cash as they pay for your feed merchants skiing holiday!

Interestingly, I'm trying to pluck up courage to open my vets bill right now as I'm worried he might not come through the gate in the morning unless he gets a sniff of a cheque. Mind you by the time I stop moaning about the size of it he'll probably wish he hadn't.
Report Prima Donna May 9, 2011 6:31 PM BST
Pot M,Did you look into seeing if you can get hold of Connolly's Red Mills feed over with you?Perhaps you may find it beneficial,as I said on the post when we were on about certain feeds my daughter made the switch and is very pleased with the improvements all her stock have made,she like you lives in England but further south.
Report potentialmillionaire May 9, 2011 7:33 PM BST
Yes Prima, my own feed merchant supplies it! Small world as they say.

As you might have guessed over the year(s) I am a bit of a keep it natural, knit your own sandals type so I baulked at the fact their Soya is genetically modified.

Lay off me, we've all got our little principals Laugh, but it was enough to sway me as I am pretty happy with my results. I can't say I wasn't tempted by your enthusiasm though. Cool
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com