Forums

U.S. Horse Racing

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Kaggen
17 Nov 07 01:55
| Topic/replies: 288 | Blogger: Kaggen's blog
Many people are new on here and ask the same questions, or they dont ask and dont get involved either. As this is a betting exhange the more people that play the US Racing Stuff the better for everyone, and the more of betfair attention will we get and the service will be better :)

I for one got dragged in to the lovely horse racing only a year and a half ago, and started just as a silent player on here then, with no video or form or anything, just enjoyed the daily thread and followed Jose, GM10, Shiekh My Hand etc(old stars, only GM10 is a regular here still though)

This was fine for a while, but when I started to understand more and more from reading the daily thread I decided to get down to business and really get in to the stuff, and since I know its not easy to find all the information needed and possibilities to make it all easier and more enjoyable I decided to make a thread where the most common questions and the most important tips can be held :)

1. Form:

There are many places to get form for the US Racing, and im sure everyone will find something that they like and feel comfortable with. There are free options and there are options that cost money:

Thorograph:
Soon after i got into US Racing betfair made a deal with thorograph.com, a serious form provider that make advanced formsheets for most of the tracks in the US. This is normally pretty expensive form, but the great deal is that all betfair users get free, unlimited form if they registrate through this link:

www.thorograph.com/betfair

This is heavy stuff and takes a while to get into, but if the interest already is there this should not be a problem at all, I remember I enjoyed reading guides and watched videos about how to get all out of the form in hours and have never used anything else since(plenty of info on thorograph.com)

DRF:
This is what I think most serious players in US Racing use for form, and even though I never really have given it a real chance I would guess it is real good and a very serious formguide (not sure but I would imagine that this is the racing post of US Racing)

This is not free though but its not extremely expensive either and im sure its much cheaper than guessing, following attheraces or following the money blindly :)

check it out at www.drf.com

This is also a great site for much of the info, like workouts, results, news, to teboards etc, and most of this info is free for all :)

Trackmaster:
never seen a sheet of this stuff but I know a few regulars used this last year and maybe they still do, I have no idea, just knows it excist..

Im sure there is more but these are those I am aware of(there was something at brisnet.com before but dont know if that is anymore, that was free one year ago and is in style very like the Racing Post sheets)

I think all these have a so called Race of the week, where everyone can download the form sheet for that race for free and without need for sign up etc, this is a good way to find the form you are comfortable with :)

2. Videos

There is an own thread about this subject but that is a bit of a mess now so can post the hottest tips for video here as well.

http://horseracing.sportsline.com/cbs/liveracing/

is a great site that shows many tracks, and have to te boards, Morning Lines etc for almost all tracks in the US.

The "problem" with that site is that it is locked for people in the United States. This is easily opened for everyone though, if you set up your Internet Explorer with a US Proxy server. I know this sounds heavy but it really isnt, and here is a very simple guide on how to do this(more advanced guide on the video thread called "For them asking for free videolinks, check out this first!")

In Internet Explorer, go to:

Tools

Internet Options -- Connections Tab -- LAN Settings

Tick the box under "proxy server"

Fill in 66.98.238.8 in the proxy address space and 3128 in the port space. Press enter and voil¿ you are able to watch free video in nice quality through http://horseracing.sportsline.com/cbs/liveracing/

To mention some tracks that you could watch video with through this site is Penn national, Mountaineer, Hawthorne, Finger Lakes, Suffolk Downs, Beulah, Bay meadows, Tampa Bay Downs, Louisiana, Kentucky Downs +++.

It is worth to note that you will not be able to sign in to MSN Messenger, Betfair or other sign in places when you are through a US Proxy Server, but my advice is to use Internet Explorer for video and Mozilla Firefox for betfair and everything else. And after you have got it to work the 1st time turning it on and off is very easy! Just go there you turned it on in the 1st place;

Tools

Internet Options -- Connections Tab -- LAN Settings

and simply tick the box under proxy server on or off, all after how you like it( I reccomend to always turn it off after you are done watching US Racing).

Calracing.com

This site provides free videostreams of Golden Gates, Hollywood Park, Santa Anita(Oak Tree), Bay Meadows and Fairplex, in various quality but as a rule, they work fine!

Simply registrate(fast and easy, no credit card details or anything heavy information required) and you have nice video from thos tracks aswell!

Also try out Funk70.com, a mess of a site but I have heard of people that have got it to work, so worth a shot, no idea what tracks it covers :)

At last its worth to mention that many tracks have video or audio feeds on their own homesite.

www.Turfparadise.com have really nice video for free from Turf Paradise

http://www.philadelphiapark.com/live_video.php
for free video from philly(doesnt always work though)

www.nyra.com for free audiostreams from all NYRA tracks(aqueduct, Saratoga, Belmont)

http://www.monmouthpark.com for free video stream from Monmouth Park

3) Other information

Not much to add here really that I have in my mind right now, but a very usefull link is this one:

http://www.drf.com/workoutHorseSearch.do

Type in the name of a horse and you will see all official workouts the horse have had, if it have had anyone. Useful at times, but dont put to much in to it. Nice to check out though, and in races with lightly raced horses or newcommers its a great tool!

For results use

http://www.drf.com/results/rindex.html

or just

http://horseracing.sportsline.com/cbs/liveracing/

If there is still questions or things that is not clear dont hesitate with asking a question or two, why not use this thread for questions and answers? :)

Good Luck,

and welcome to US Racing :)

Kaggen
Pause Switch to Standard View Complete beginners guide in US Racing!
Show More
Report JULIAN1970 March 24, 2009 3:30 PM GMT
Report YKNOT March 30, 2009 6:10 PM BST
---
Report ardgirl July 29, 2009 3:59 PM BST
there you go......
there you go......
there you go......
Report ardgirl July 29, 2009 4:00 PM BST
there you go......
there you go......
there you go......
there you go......
Report Usaidit July 29, 2009 10:08 PM BST
cheers ardgirl
Report peter gaffney August 12, 2009 3:32 PM BST
Report ardgirl August 20, 2009 1:55 PM BST
Report ardgirl August 22, 2009 3:56 PM BST
Report newquaywhite August 23, 2009 10:07 AM BST
wheres kaggen lately?
Report Back High Lay Low August 23, 2009 10:51 AM BST
I remember playing a pc game called Quarter Pole years ago.
Sometimes a horse would come back from injury about 20 lengths better then before, they'd be unbeatable.
Gee wiz i won some races, all the big ones too, can't remember the names but you get the picture.
Report willowdog August 26, 2009 3:01 AM BST
I can't seem to find US form for free, can anyone help please?
Report Bsmith August 26, 2009 5:30 PM BST
http://www.attheraces.com/racecards/?ref=main+nav&nav=racecards&sub=today's+...
Report rink rat August 26, 2009 6:14 PM BST
newquaywhite 23 Aug 04:07

wheres kaggen lately?

He and the Canadian have been carrying on with a secret affair. :^0
Report willowdog August 26, 2009 8:15 PM BST
Thanks BSmith
Report Bsmith August 27, 2009 12:54 AM BST
np
Report ardgirl August 30, 2009 11:59 AM BST
Report ardgirl September 6, 2009 3:55 PM BST
Report santana September 8, 2009 12:53 PM BST
Thanks for inf 'm sure will be helpful.
Another question. Do you know by chance any good site for statistics?. I mean percentage of winners , odds ,fate of favourites etc. In UK racing I follow http://www.adrianmassey.com/index.php and is very useful.

Thanks mates
Report nistle September 9, 2009 11:15 AM BST
Thanks for the info, should be a great starting point for people interested in US Racing.
Report ardgirl September 10, 2009 8:41 PM BST
Report ardgirl September 12, 2009 3:51 PM BST
Report ardgirl September 13, 2009 11:46 AM BST
Report ardgirl September 15, 2009 6:22 PM BST
Report westfour4 September 16, 2009 6:02 PM BST
Result Belmont please
Report westfour4 September 16, 2009 6:02 PM BST
Anyone
Report westfour4 September 16, 2009 6:03 PM BST
:^0
Report clarkey1 September 16, 2009 6:08 PM BST
big on the 5 at delly
Report westfour4 September 16, 2009 7:43 PM BST
ill give you a guide

Races paying 2 places. Lay field when all horses matched early in place market
Report ardgirl September 20, 2009 10:26 AM BST
Report ardgirl September 26, 2009 1:02 PM BST
8-)
Report salmon spray October 11, 2009 12:29 PM BST
B-)
Report westfour4 October 12, 2009 12:48 AM BST
Back every race thats covered .

WD WINNERS :^0
Report jas1968 October 14, 2009 10:57 PM BST
Report ardgirl October 27, 2009 5:01 PM GMT
Report ardgirl October 27, 2009 5:01 PM GMT
Report ardgirl October 27, 2009 5:02 PM GMT
...go
Report ardgirl October 27, 2009 5:02 PM GMT
go
Report ardgirl October 30, 2009 11:18 AM GMT
Report hunter November 2, 2009 9:06 PM GMT
Thanks
Report hunter November 8, 2009 6:37 PM GMT
thanks
Report ardgirl November 13, 2009 4:08 PM GMT
Report hunter November 22, 2009 6:36 PM GMT
ok
Report ardgirl November 24, 2009 11:17 AM GMT
Report ardgirl November 26, 2009 3:10 PM GMT
Report ardgirl December 2, 2009 3:14 PM GMT
Report ardgirl December 4, 2009 3:48 PM GMT
Report ardgirl December 5, 2009 1:19 PM GMT
Report 88 December 7, 2009 10:53 PM GMT
Report ardgirl December 8, 2009 3:50 PM GMT
Report ardgirl December 10, 2009 3:25 PM GMT
Report ardgirl December 22, 2009 3:55 PM GMT
Report ardgirl December 24, 2009 8:21 PM GMT
Report MR.FUNK70.C0M January 17, 2010 11:30 PM GMT
Report MR.FUNK70.C0M January 18, 2010 4:11 PM GMT
http://www.funk70.com/
gulf live video tonight
Report Isaac_Newton January 26, 2010 5:58 PM GMT
Cards

Brisnet.com, drf.com, latekick.com - all pay for cards.
Brisnet is $1 per Premium Plus card - but after 4 cards for any one day, the rest are free i.e. max $4 per day, which is collected at the end of the month from credit/debit card.
I think drf is similar price to Brisnet.
Latekick is £30 per month for Past Performances.

There is also Brisnet.co.uk which provide a free card, but imo you get what you pay for.

gl
Report peter gaffney February 13, 2010 5:42 PM GMT
Report Horts March 2, 2010 11:32 PM GMT
Report THEIRISHKID March 4, 2010 11:04 PM GMT
is Omak (NZL) 5th Mar - 00:11 R2 1100m 2y on atheraces
Report StarRage March 15, 2010 6:34 PM GMT
ttt
Report larrence March 22, 2010 8:01 PM GMT
http://americanhorseracing.abcracinglinks.com/
Report gozlet March 31, 2010 6:58 PM BST
here it is up the top ;-)
Report YKNOT April 4, 2010 10:44 PM BST
////////
Report Horts April 11, 2010 6:11 PM BST
ttt
Report hal107 April 11, 2010 6:13 PM BST
Thanks lads, interesting read.
Report paradox and equilibrium April 25, 2010 1:03 AM BST
For Oil. ;)
Report oil April 25, 2010 1:06 AM BST
Thanks paradox, I will go through that thread thouroghly tomorrow.
Report HooRoo April 27, 2010 9:09 PM BST
great thread! thanks
Report jas1968 April 30, 2010 9:57 PM BST
Emilly
Report tomas.tomass May 1, 2010 2:48 PM BST
Hi I dont understand why to set up proxy server when I can use that video http://espn.go.com/horse/liveracing08.html from anywhere? When you set it up, you can see more tracks? Or it is possible to register for full service?
Thanks for answer,
Tomas
Report YKNOT May 10, 2010 9:19 PM BST
####
Report David Fishwick Minibus Sales May 17, 2010 3:09 PM BST
Message for Kaggen.

Do you know if there is a stream where I could watch the Walter Nilsens Minnelop at 17.25 BST?
Report Kaggen May 26, 2010 2:27 PM BST
up
Report YKNOT May 31, 2010 10:11 PM BST
////
Report ricky butcher June 1, 2010 1:13 AM BST
3,4 Holly. Saver 9 too. The others might cut each others up leave it open for 3,4 late.
Report Horts July 17, 2010 9:57 PM BST
Report sidthekid September 14, 2010 5:37 PM BST
I am over a 1000 miles from the UK and my home PC and this Laptop refused to start,i had to re-format the hard drive from rescue and recovery,of course i lost All info on it,including many USA Links,so pleased i remembered this thread to recover most sites.
Report Cork Langer August 13, 2013 12:43 AM BST
Seeing as this forum looks to be on its last legs, thought I'd give kaggens thread another airing, was one of the most helpful I've ever seen posted on here.
Report salmon spray August 13, 2013 10:40 AM BST
Yes it was.
I haven't read it all so don't know if the colour-coding of number-cloths was mentioned. Very useful if like me you don't have sound on LV for the last week. That was when there were pictures.
Report bearcub August 29, 2013 8:38 PM BST
y
Report PittsburghPhil August 31, 2013 1:04 PM BST
One thing I've noticed in the year and a half that I've been following the NY scene is the almost complete gender segregation of race fields. Roughly half the races run in New York are restricted to fillies and mares. The rest of the races are open-gender, but it is extremely rare to find a filly or mare running against male horses. It happens sometimes in the early 2YO races, but as the horses get older they generally stick to their own gender. Occasionally you might get a champion mare who'll run against the boys in a major race, but even that is rare.

I'm not sure what happens in the UK, but down here in Australia most races have a mixture of male and female horses. There might be one or two races on the card for fillies and mares only, but the rest are open gender. Out two greatest racehorses of the last 10 years, the sprinter Black Caviar and the stayer Makybe Diva (both mares) won most of their races in open-gender events.
Report Kriskin August 31, 2013 10:59 PM BST
What happened to all the posters on here?  All MISSING in action apart from 1 or 2
Report PittsburghPhil September 2, 2013 10:29 AM BST
Not sure where all the old-timers have gone, mate. I'm a relative newbie, myself. Let's hope they haven't all gone broke.

I'd be very interested in keeping this topic alive with regular contributions, as long as I don't feel as though I'm talking to myself Crazy
Report LordBobbbin September 12, 2013 3:03 PM BST
It is strange. Most of the regular posters disappeared almost overnight as soon as the 'enhanced' PC came in. Rather strange, since I didn't think many of them could be turning a profit - at least, not enough to be forced off by the new £250K rule.

It's such a shame that US racing is in so poor spirits here, when the figures-based nature of US racing makes it so much fun - and gives you plenty of interesting angles to punt.
Report billybongo December 10, 2013 9:22 PM GMT
hi
Is there anywhere i can find the running style of horses in USA or results with comments?
Cheer
Report brain dead jockeys December 11, 2013 12:59 AM GMT
there was serious money to be made on here...........horses which were genuine 1/3 shots were being priced up at evens..........i couldnt spot them myself untill they went off at 1/3 (i dont know american horseracing well enough) but im sure those well in cleaned up. maybe those days are gone.
Report PittsburghPhil December 11, 2013 8:36 AM GMT
billybongo
hi
Is there anywhere i can find the running style of horses in USA or results with comments?
Cheer

The quick way is to purchase the Daily Racing Form's PPs (past performances) You get the horse's running position and margin from the winner at various points in the race. It covers all horses running at that track on that particular day. It can get a bit expensive if you're intending to bet on several different tracks. If you are betting in large amounts it's probably a worthwhile investment.

The slow but inexpensive way is to use the equibase result chart archive

www.equibase.com/premium/eqbRaceChartCalendar.cfm

This is a free service and it covers all races on all tracks going back many years. It gives the same details that you would find in the Daily Racing Form and the comments section is even more detailed. It can get a bit tedious tracking a horse's form back one chart at a time, but as I say, it's FREE.

Another way would be to watch videos of a horse's past performances. Most of the major tracks now provide free video replays going back a few years. This is even slower that hunting up the past result charts, but it's certainly the most thorough way to do your homework on a particular horse.

Hope this answers your question.
Cheers
Report PittsburghPhil December 11, 2013 8:46 AM GMT
Sorry:

I meant to say "You get the horse's running position and margin from the LEADER at various points in the race"
Report RothmanMike December 12, 2013 11:02 PM GMT
I'm not sure this is correct, but I have it in my mind from the dim and distant past, so it may have some credibility.
Is there some technical device in the saddle cloth for US racehorses that transmits a signal that enables accurate positions for all runners of the horses to be shown to viewers during races.
Woodbine is a good example of this.
If not, does anyone know how they do it, 'cos its good Happy
Report jasrich December 12, 2013 11:23 PM GMT
Its called Trakus.They hav a website and twitter page Rothman if u want to find out more abt them gl
Report RothmanMike December 12, 2013 11:44 PM GMT
Cheers,just checked Trakus on Google and I was correct.
Must have heard it from Steve Miller, him being Canadian and it originating at Woodbine.
Thanks again.
Report spiller1 June 2, 2014 10:35 PM BST
Here you go.
Report henryluca June 3, 2014 2:23 AM BST
Hope this helps....go to live video link:

http://www.fullcardreports.com/live.asp

Forum Activity breeds forum activity....Happy
Report billybongo June 4, 2014 12:18 PM BST
Ladbrokes let you take their prices on American racing. Which jockeys, trainers or tracks would be good to follow and take prices that are under the price on bf?

Cheers lads
Report Horts August 7, 2014 11:28 PM BST
Report doantwin2easy December 27, 2014 11:40 PM GMT
ttt
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com