Forums

North American

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 75 comments are related to the topic:
2013/2014 Superbowl Winner

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 75
By:
grayhawk
When: 04 Feb 13 17:00
Not too big on the Packers chances next year,although you always have a chance with Rodgers under centre........just don't like the line play on both sides of the ball at all.

Concerning the Niners D.....maybe it's not as good as people thought but it's nowhere near as bad as what it's looked in the play offs and this is down to Justin Smith....before the first game of the year against the Packers Aaron Rodgers said.... forget Aldon Smith,this WHOLE defence starts with Justin Smith,everything takes there cue from him ......and you can tell it just hasn't been the same since he got injured in that Patriots game he's been playing on one arm ( piece in Peter Kings MMQB today outlining his non effectiveness )

D13phe.....Bradshaw might not be that big a miss if that rookie running back can cure his fumbling problem,he has the look of a star.

Niners would be favourites in my book for next year.
By:
Swardean
When: 04 Feb 13 17:45
Tough call and rightly wide open.  Obviously going to back Seattle.  They are well under their salary cap and will strengthen the defence further with a couple of top notch pass rushers.  Wilson can only improve with experience.  The second season RB Turbin can take some pressure off Lynch.

My other bet will be Carolina, I am CONVINCED they will make the playoffs next year and then who knows?
By:
db1974
When: 04 Feb 13 22:24
49ers for me at this early stage. They will be hurting after last night and will be more determined than any other team to go one step further. Jim Harbaugh has that team so fired up on every play, much more so than other teams. You can feel the intensity in that side on every play. They also have the advantage that 3 of their 4 toughest non-div matches in their schedule are all at home - Texans, Colts, Packers with the Saints being the tough road game. I left the 49ers alone at the start of last season in the assumption that they would start slow but they never got bigger than the 12/1 at the start of the season. I think 8/1 is a good price for a team that I expect to be the NFC No.1 seed next season.

2 others that I think are too big (more for a trade than anything else) are Dallas Cowboys @ 40/1 and Cleveland Browns @ 100/1

Cowboys have a good shot at possibly the most open division in the league next year. Doubts hang over all 4 teams for various reasons so the 40/1 is too big.

Browns had a very good second half of the season last year. After losing the first 5 games, they went 5-6 over the last 11. Given that they were bedding in a new QB (Weeden) and RB (Richardson) I would expect them to show some improvement next season. Their division looks a little weaker than usual too with the Steelers not as strong as normal and the Bengals not a true play-off team. The fact that the Ravens won yesterday will probably help the Browns as the Superbowl winners always fall off the following season. As I said above, I certainly don't expect the Browns to win the Superbowl but I think they will be the surprise team of next season. They are priced at roughly the same level as teams like the Jets, Cardinals, & Bills and it's hard to see any of those making the playoffs. Browns should be around the 50/1 mark IMO.
By:
Swagger
When: 05 Feb 13 10:55
I agree with Harry that Rogers is the best QB but I would also have to agree with Clay I thought the Packers Defence was shocking against the 49ers so they would have to address that problem quickly for me. In terms of the favs I would agree with the 49ers and the Broncos at 8/1 and 9/1 respectively. Neither side did much wrong last season and have quality QB's, a few few different plays going their way would have arguably resulted in either one winning the superbowl. In terms of the outsiders if Dallas can keep their Defence fit and give the Romo any sort of offensive line then 40/1 looks a good price and I thought the Carolina Panthers finished the season well and 66/1 could look big but their division could be difficult and I don't know their schedule?

The Texans at 12/1 is the worst price i have seen on almost anything for years, they were so outclassed against the Pats, you just can't imagine them finding enough ability to have a chance to win the Superbowl and their QB looked out of his depth against Brady.
By:
d13phe
When: 05 Feb 13 12:12
swagger:
2013 Carolina Panthers Opponents
Home    Atlanta, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, St. Louis, Seattle, New England,
N.Y. Jets, N.Y. Giants
Away    Atlanta, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Arizona, San Francisco, Buffalo, Miami, Minnesota

very tough schedule imo
By:
DRAGON DANCER
When: 05 Feb 13 15:22
Packers have little chance imo, poor defence and McCarthy is a clown who will cost them tight games
By:
Lufc86
When: 05 Feb 13 15:30
Yeah massive clown who happens to be a superbowl winning coach ;)

Packers will lose jennings and hopefully finley on the offence. That should free money up to improve the defence. Like others have said seahawks are the value so far
By:
grayhawk
When: 05 Feb 13 20:17
DRAGON DANCER 05 Feb 13 15:22 Joined: 29 May 08 | Topic/replies: 1,092 | Blogger: DRAGON DANCER's blog
Packers have little chance imo, poor defence and McCarthy is a clown who will cost them tight games

How do you come to the McCarthy is a clown conclusion DD?
By:
DRAGON DANCER
When: 05 Feb 13 22:40
He was a really good coach like 3 years ago.

Probably still is, sorry for my comment I take it back, just time after time done the wrong thing with regards to 4th down decisions, no risk too often when it was needed from the opponents ~40 yard line, loves a punt or too long a field goal which isn't shrewd when you've had a woefully out of form Crosby, many bad clock management decisions I can remember, inept with timeouts, and his play calls involve too many run plays at the wrong time, in fact they run way too many run plays, some games they ran the ball more than they passed, Packers aren't impressive running the ball, you've got Rodgers! Let him do damage.

Example, season on the line v 49ers, 10 minutes left down 2 TDs, ball in midfield, 4th and 4... punts. Gotta go for it with Rodgers there! Odds were SF would get the ball and kill the game after that decision imo. Punting not gonna win you the game... ended up getting the ball back with around 3 minutes left down 3 TDs and the season was over. I'm not being results orientated, gotta take the chance there, was screaming at the TV at the time.

Also remember him trying to challenge an auto review play against the Vikings, McCarthy didn't know the rule throwing the flag but he was too slow or something so got away with it, I'd expect him to know the rule especially after what happened on Thanksgiving Day. Rodgers wasn't impressed.

Can just see/imagine Rodgers getting mad sometimes at his decisions.

I'm being way too harsh probably, Packers are one of my fav teams (because of Rodgers) and watch most of their games, just ended up seething at the end of too many Pack games, none more so than the Seattle game, but that wasn't McCarthy's fault Silly

Super bowl winning coach so fair play I was in Australia/Thailand that year and didn't see much NFL that season, so missed his awesomeness that year!
By:
HARRY22
When: 05 Feb 13 23:49
ffs mcCarthy has become a clown now...the year he took them to the superbowl he was a genius..now a clown

I know megatron is the king of wide receivers but he cant play right across the field Shocked  They better draft some quality WRs having got rid of broyles and young.

Packers will be contenders.no doubt about that.....Cowboys seem to be a popular choice on here at 40s..trouble will be getting out of the most competitive division as the eagles cant be as bad as this season.

Houston texans price is not too bad...double the price of last season at least...not a chance they would have won the south without watt...the secondary was giving up so many big plays... cushing to come back and they are in rubbish division...foster condition seems a little suspicious..similar to mardi fish condition
By:
HARRY22
When: 05 Feb 13 23:55
Any of you lot seen 4th and down film (documentary)?
By:
HARRY22
When: 05 Feb 13 23:59
Would be rude to swardean if I had no mention of the hawks Grin  Best defence in the league..lets see if they can go a whole season without losing a game by less than 7pts again Shocked
By:
grayhawk
When: 06 Feb 13 11:36
Dragon Dancer....everyone is entitled to their opinion but as you say you're definitely being too harsh.

Regarding running way too many run plays.....you can't just keep throwing the ball all the time, that just gives the opposition D the opportunity to tee off on the quarterback with no threat of being hurt with the run and especially with the Packers below average O line they'll get Rodgers killed.....the Packers consistantly say it's not all about the yards with them but its all about the ATTEMPTS..... which is true and was borne out in an excellent article i read some where ( think it was Milwaukee Journal Sentinel ).

There was a stat that implied if the Packers attempted to run the ball so many times each game that they were something like 27-3 over the last few seasons but if they were under that number of attempts they were something like 18-16......

I can't remember the exact figures but you can get the gist of it......so long as they attempt to run the ball the Packers invariably win.

re....the 49ers game......i think everyone was shocked that he punted the ball back to them on fourth down......he has since come out and said he made a mistake and if he had his time over again he would have went for it.

re...the automatic review.....he made a stupid mistake......most coaches make them sometime in their career.
By:
ClayDavis
When: 06 Feb 13 11:57
I remember on NBC they said that some of the play calling in the Packers defeat to the Vikings in the last regular game of the season, which cost them home field advantage and a bye week in the play offs, to be nothing short of "bizarre"
By:
grayhawk
When: 06 Feb 13 12:04
Harry ...didn't realise they got rid of Broyles, thought he was only injured.....Young is a right headcase and i wouldn't go near him,players like him rarely learn their lesson.

You gotta laugh at the Lions attempts to draft recievers.....in six out of the last ten drafts they've picked a wideout with one of their first two picks Shocked........early in the century in FOUR outta FIVE years they picked one with their FIRST pick ShockedShockedShocked ( although they had arguably the worst GM of all time doing the picking LaughLaughLaugh

This documentary you're on about....do you know where i can watch it?
By:
db1974
When: 06 Feb 13 12:38
I think the documentary/film is called 4th-and-goal. Haven't seen it myself but looks like it might be decent enough.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1697797/
By:
HARRY22
When: 06 Feb 13 15:36
Grayhawk both are out...Lions better hope calvin has more than 5 tds he managed this year if they are going to make a noise.

I like the browns pick db...big fan of this team and the improvement they have made..they should have a better record than they ended up with....cowboys giants and baltimore away games were all games they were in...giants mounted a big comeback..they were very competitive in baltimore and they blew the dallas game..again a tough division

4th and goal...Nothing special.fell asleep watching in last night so that says a lot. 4.5 mark on imdb...if you have sky you can watch it anytime
By:
HARRY22
When: 06 Feb 13 15:56
Its one of these espn classic films
By:
grayhawk
When: 06 Feb 13 18:00
Cheers Harry....Lions down to CJ and Burleson then......so we can safely say it's defensive backs and wideouts all the way come draft day Grin

I'll check that documentary out sometime.
By:
Sudoku_Junior
When: 06 Feb 13 20:20
Pretty sure Broyles hasn't been released, he has tore his ACL though.
By:
HARRY22
When: 06 Feb 13 20:52
ryan broyles and titus young both released.

ahmad bradshaw also released..
By:
HARRY22
When: 06 Feb 13 20:56
vanden bosche also released..chris canty released.

rob ryan saints defensive co ordinator looks on the cards Shocked
By:
Sudoku_Junior
When: 06 Feb 13 21:10
Wheres the Broyles source? Cant find it anywhere! Bradshaw comes as a bit of a surprise. Can discount the saints if they employ that muppet.
By:
HARRY22
When: 06 Feb 13 21:35
schefter posted it...they should go for jennings
By:
Sudoku_Junior
When: 06 Feb 13 21:49
Reading this don't think Broyles is released, "AdamSchefter: And so with the Lions releasing Titus Young and Ryan Broyles coming off knee injury, Detroit is, amazingly, back to needing another WR."

Should be an interesting free agency and draft period.
By:
HARRY22
When: 06 Feb 13 22:15
You are perhaps right...either way the lions need help at WR and in the secondary..no outstanding corner imo
By:
d13phe
When: 06 Feb 13 22:15
that discounts the giants next year

they were twice the team when bradshaw played
By:
grayhawk
When: 07 Feb 13 11:43
d13phe...that back the Giants drafted last year could be one of the best in the league...gotta sort his fumbling problems mind.
By:
d13phe
When: 07 Feb 13 13:56
he is ok but he cant block and bradshaw was a beast

he will improve any team that picks him up.
By:
Sudoku_Junior
When: 07 Feb 13 16:44
Think the Giants will be rebuilding next year, although will still be in the mix in the East.
By:
ClayDavis
When: 07 Feb 13 19:49
Still no mention of the Saints with all their weapons on Offence?? If they can sort out their D and I have confidence they can do that then they are a huge player next season
By:
punkha1
When: 08 Feb 13 23:41
While the Saints price does look big at first glance that division is gonna be brutal next year and imo they have MASSIVE probs on defense.
Also have a slight feeling that Brees might just be starting to slide a tiny bit as even the greats eventually do.
By:
TexassportsagentBuzz
When: 11 Feb 13 02:23
Bengals, (hold 3 seconds  for jeers and whistles) have a staggering 50 million usd of cap room, could be worth a few quid
By:
d13phe
When: 11 Feb 13 16:49
Eagles resign Vick

thats them done for the next year Mischief
By:
HARRY22
When: 11 Feb 13 20:15
Not so fast my friend.......Remember the season the packers won it....vick with the eagles last drive...receiver slipped in the endzone and the packers tramon williams with the easy pick...could have been a different story that year..He did have a good season...I know he isnt the ideal QB but the season they went out to the packers he did have an O line....no wonder he took a beating this year,they lost 3 of the starters...The new coach may be what they needed and what mike needs....Nobody in the draft better.
By:
ClayDavis
When: 12 Feb 13 18:21
Michael Pick Shocked
Page 2 of 2  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo