Forums

North American

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
alfie bhoy
03 Mar 10 15:28
| Topic/replies: 2,142 | Blogger: alfie bhoy's blog
Will they negotiate the contract this summer or is not up for renegotiation yet and is there any chance of ESPN outbidding them or at least picking up the MNF?
Show More
Report Jockey Full Of Bourbon March 3, 2010 4:42 PM GMT
as per last year don't expect any definite announcements from Sky until September,NFL fans need to be told why exactly ESPN cannot show MNF here when it is freely available in mainland Europe
Report Nilsson Schmilsson March 3, 2010 4:49 PM GMT
because they didn't bid for it
Report orioles March 3, 2010 4:54 PM GMT
Hell's teeth, this discussion has started early!
Report Nilsson Schmilsson March 3, 2010 5:33 PM GMT
i have to something, i would go shopping but....
Report Nilsson Schmilsson March 3, 2010 5:33 PM GMT
i have to DO something
Report Jockey Full Of Bourbon March 3, 2010 5:35 PM GMT
who didn't bid for what?Schmilsson
Report Nilsson Schmilsson March 3, 2010 5:36 PM GMT
espn, mnf
Report Foxinthesnow March 3, 2010 6:56 PM GMT
Rubbish, I don't why MNF wasn't on this year but I'd be stunned if was because nobody wanted to show it, it has to be something to with a dispute with espn and sky.
Report Nilsson Schmilsson March 3, 2010 7:04 PM GMT
espn and sky have no disputes
Report Jockey Full Of Bourbon March 3, 2010 7:05 PM GMT
ESPN broadcast MNF in the States and show it all over Europe so you suggest that they would have to pay more to show it here?
Report Foxinthesnow March 3, 2010 7:08 PM GMT
So what your saying is that a new channel (ESPN), who show and produce MNF to the rest of the world and are desperate for content wouldn't want to show MNF, not buying that for a minute.
Report Nilsson Schmilsson March 3, 2010 7:30 PM GMT
desperate for content?
Report Nilsson Schmilsson March 3, 2010 7:30 PM GMT
Jockey Full Of Bourbon 03 Mar 20:05
ESPN broadcast MNF in the States and show it all over Europe so you suggest that they would have to pay more to show it here?

yes, broadcasting is not as simple as you'd think
Report Foxinthesnow March 3, 2010 7:32 PM GMT
Obviously they need content, can't survive on 1 premiership game per week.
Report Nilsson Schmilsson March 3, 2010 7:40 PM GMT
dont think an american footy game at 1:30 on a tuesday morning is the answer though
Report Yuvraj Singh March 3, 2010 8:25 PM GMT
A new home will need to be found for SNF too as I don't think C5 are going to show it anymore.
Report Jockey Full Of Bourbon March 3, 2010 8:47 PM GMT
thanks Schmilsson fully aware of the complexities of sports broadcasting but i struggle to believe that the only reason ESPN did not show MNF here last year was because they a)didn't want to or b)couldn't agree a fee with NFL
Report Jockey Full Of Bourbon March 3, 2010 8:50 PM GMT
an American Football game at 1.30 a.m on Monday would be more popular than an NCAA hoops game or an NHL game
Report Onionss March 3, 2010 9:53 PM GMT
^ true, but 20 times more expensive too.
Report Murphinator1 March 3, 2010 10:51 PM GMT
Foxinthesnow 03 Mar 20:08

So what your saying is that a new channel (ESPN), who show and produce MNF to the rest of the world and are desperate for content wouldn't want to show MNF, not buying that for a minute.

Exactly, there was some dispute/technicality/contractual jargon why ESPN could not show it this year. Sky didn't show it because there wasn't the interest at that time on a Mondya night and Channel 5 couldn't affor the studio costs I think. ESPN show NBA, NHL, NCAA football/ basketball live almost every night. Sometimes they have a combination of these ot back to back matches across their two mainstream channels. There is no way many people are watching those.

ESPN produce and own MNF (as far as I am aware) and if they can sort out the back office stuff out they will definitly have it on next year.
Report Nilsson Schmilsson March 4, 2010 9:05 AM GMT
espn produce and broadcast it in america

the NFL owns it
Report cunnybobbler March 4, 2010 11:35 AM GMT
how skint c5 are i doubt they paid anything to show snf last year. with nobody bothering with mnf last year i cant see the price being very high this year, the nfl arent exactly in a great position to negotiate.
Report Jockey Full Of Bourbon March 4, 2010 2:45 PM GMT
which brings us back to why ESPN could not show the games last year and will they show them this year?
Report Nilsson Schmilsson March 4, 2010 2:50 PM GMT
the first one has been answered, the second we dont know
Report Jockey Full Of Bourbon March 4, 2010 4:30 PM GMT
oh no it has not?
Report inner city sumo March 5, 2010 6:24 PM GMT
ESPN show NBA, NHL, NCAA football/ basketball live almost every night. Sometimes they have a combination of these ot back to back matches across their two mainstream channels. There is no way many people are watching those.

Avg figures for Sunday 6pm NFL game: 0.04m
Avg figures for Sunday 9.15pm NFL game: 0.03m
Avg figures for Monday 01.30am NFL game: 0.01m
Avg figures for Tuesday 01.30am NFL game: 0.01m

These are figures for the regular season, obviously play off audiences are bigger. Even so, let's not kid ourselves, the interest in watching late night games is very limited. :(
Report Nilsson Schmilsson March 5, 2010 6:42 PM GMT
not quite sure what those figures are

c5 got between 80000 and 105000 for snf
Report inner city sumo March 5, 2010 11:25 PM GMT
Last year when the dispute was on I asked a friend who works in advertising to look up the ratings, because he had access to the data for selling ad space.

I don't know where you get 100k from, because at that time of night there aren't many more than 100k sets on, let alone all watching NFL on C5. To put sports viewing figures into context, according to Sky a Guinness Premiership Rugby Union game shown primetime, up against no other major sports will get 0.2m viewers, five times as many viewers as one of our regular Sunday evening NFL games, and given how popular NFL is in this country relative to Rugby Union that sounds about right.
Report Nilsson Schmilsson March 5, 2010 11:32 PM GMT
my data is from the tv sports market magazine

for £1200 a year i trust there figures as the official ones

however, how the figures are worked out is b0ll0x

eg wwe raw rating have doubled for this year as they have taken a completely new sample for their figs
Report Nilsson Schmilsson March 5, 2010 11:33 PM GMT
nfl on sky on sunday will get 50-80k but generally at the lower end of that 50-60k
Report inner city sumo March 5, 2010 11:44 PM GMT
NFL figures are pretty depressing when you consider around 4m watch F1. :(
Report cunnybobbler March 6, 2010 5:24 PM GMT
inner city sumo 06 Mar 00:44
NFL figures are pretty depressing when you consider around 4m watch F1. :(

at least 3.9 milion of those are asleep after their sunday lunch and therefore dont bother changing the channel.
Report History Maker March 15, 2010 2:45 AM GMT
Yup. Delighted the BBC has it again. No more noisy adverts to sully my nap. 'Twas a tragedy back when Channel 4 got the test cricket too.
Report FORZA AS ROMA March 16, 2010 11:24 AM GMT
Are sky gonna show the draft this year?
Report History Maker March 16, 2010 2:12 PM GMT
Hope so. I've never seen it. Very interested to see where to see where quite a few players go.

Notably (in rough order of how interested I am, not how high I think they'll go or how good I think they are):

Ndamukong Suh
Dexter McCluster
Tim Tebow
CJ Spiller
Toby Gerhardt
Russell Okung
Sam Bradford
Jason Pierre-Paul
Jimmy Clausen
Jahvid Best
Report 5 European Cups April 10, 2010 8:09 AM BST
Update.

No draft on SKY but will be live on nfl.com

ESPN UK have MNF next season including the 90 minute Monday Night Countdown with Chris Berman.
Report Ace High April 10, 2010 11:07 AM BST
ESPN buildup show is pretty good whenever ive seen it. Worth watching for Ditka alone! As old school as it gets.
Report NEW KID IN TOWN April 10, 2010 2:05 PM BST
I think the draft is live on ESPN or ESPN America.
Report 5 European Cups April 10, 2010 3:38 PM BST
Its live on ESPN in America buy not over here. We have to make do with nfl.com
Report CJ April 14, 2010 11:40 AM BST
If ESPN showed NFL they'd get at least one more subscriber here!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com