SEASON 2013-14 P/L: -207.5pts ROI: -57.64%
(SEASON 2013 FINAL P/L: +85.23pts ROI: +20.79%)
T3 (Jhonattan Vegas @ 260) was the best of my finishers last week in the John Deere Classic.
It's the 143rd Open Championship this week from Royal Liverpool, Hoylake and what promises to be a dramatic, enthralling affair with question marks against most of the market leaders meaning it's wide open from a betting point of view.
Ball striking and positional play will be key as well as the ability to get up and down when missing the well protected greens. Players will also need to take full advantage of the four Par 5s if they are to go low enough to contend (Tiger Woods posted -18 when winning here in 2006).
My value selections are below (as ever it's double stakes for a Major). Others who look decent value are reigning champion Phil Mickelson @ 28 and rising young star Jordan Spieth @ 48 who plays well in the wind and states that he loves the sort of conditions that the players will face this week.
Can't wait for four superb days of viewing to begin. Enjoy!
Selections (all prices from Betfair unless stated):
Tiger WOODS 8.5pts @ 24
- Won this in style the last time it was played here and I've decided that his price is simply far too big, even given his recent injury problems
Charl SCHWARTZEL 2pts @ 90
- Former Masters winner who has three Top 16 finishes in the last four Opens and ranks highly in Par 5 performance on the PGA Tour
Angel CABRERA 2pts @ 85
- Wily veteran who loves the big stage (two Major wins to his name) and is in fine form. Went well here in 2006
Brendon TODD 1.75pts @ 140
- Extremely consistent form this season. The Pennsylvanian scores well on the Par 5s and has a superb short game
Jonas BLIXT 1pt @ 230
- Tremendous short game and the Swede T2 in the Masters earlier this year to show he can contend on the biggest stage
John SENDEN 1pt @ 230
- The Aussie is a fantastic ball striker who also went well here in 2006. 2nd in Par 5 performance on tour this season
KJ CHOI 1pt @ 270
- Multiple winner and a calm, solid ball striker who has gone well in The Open before
Harris ENGLISH 1pt @ 200
- Excellent young talent with a great all-round game who scores very well on the Par 5s
Chris KIRK 0.75pts @ 330
- Already a dual winner in America. Solid short game and again is one who goes low on the Par 5s
Matt EVERY 0.5pts @ 540
- Excellent putter and is 19th in Par 5 performance on the PGA Tour this season
Brendan STEELE 0.5pts @ 480
- Long hitter and a good ball striker. Posted four Top 10s already in America this year and has previously won on tour