SEASON 2013-14 P/L: -147.5pts ROI: -49.2%
(SEASON 2013 FINAL P/L: +85.23pts ROI: +20.79%)
A tie for 6th for my top pick Billy Horschel was the best finish for my selections in the St Jude last week.
It's the second Major of the season this Thursday, the US Open from Pinehurst No. 2 in North Carolina in what looks to be a wide open and intriguing event with the market headed by Rory McIlroy @ 12.
The course has been altered dramatically since it last hosted this championship in 2005. Lengthened to over 7500 yards, gone is the penal rough so closely associated with US Open set-ups. Instead, if the players miss the fairways off the tees on this Par 70 track, they face sandy areas and wiry grass for their approaches to the tight and tricky greens. I'm looking for good, long drivers who are solid iron players with a decent short game and also have a bit of class in an event which is going to demand a lot of thought and strategy.
My value selections are below. Of those towards the head of the market, I fancy Bubba Watson (@ 19) to go very well once more this season as its a course which is going to demand plenty of the kind of imagination and shot-making that he excels in.
As ever for the Majors, it's double stakes for me this week. Best of luck and enjoy:
Selections (all prices from Betfair unless stated):
Sergio GARCIA 4.5pts @ 38
- I have a feeling his solid tee to green play and much improved short game mean that this is the week when the Spaniard finally lands his first Major championship
- 1st in Scoring Average on Tour this year, 5th in Scrambling, 8th in GIR and 30th in Total Driving is an impressive armoury to be going in to battle with here
Zach JOHNSON 3pts @ 85
- Ever reliable, the former Masters winner is very solid from tee to green, 15th in Scrambling this year and 23rd in Scoring Average
Jim FURYK 3pts @ 48
- 1st in Scrambling this season, the accurate American is also 19th in Scoring Average
Hunter MAHAN 2pts @ 75
- Simply too big a price for a player with his long game and class. T13 in Total Driving
Bill HAAS 1.75pts @ 100
- Multiple winner who is a solid driver and 17th in GIR this year shows his long game is in fine nick
Graham DELAET 1.5pts @ 110
- Desperately needs to find form with the flat stick if he is to contend but the big hitting Canadian is 1st in GIR, 5th in Total Driving and 13th in Scoring Average this season
Brendon TODD 1.5pts @ 110
- Enjoying a very consistent year and posted his maiden PGA Tour win last month
- Has an excellent short game
Billy HORSCHEL 1pt @ 190
- Very solid from tee to green and in form after a decent showing in Memphis last week
Ryan PALMER 1pt @ 160
- Great driver of the ball. The Texan is 15th in Scoring Average this year and 21st in GIR
Lucas GLOVER 0.75pts @ 910
- Simply a huge price for a recent US Open winner and another very good driver. Has won before after seemingly being well out of form