Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
wildmanfromborneo
18 Aug 14 12:19
| Topic/replies: 21,252 | Blogger: wildmanfromborneo's blog
A major negative for Australia would be Joseph OBrien getting down to 8 .12,its admirable and understandable but it will leave him weak and unable to ride him out properly.

Any Australia backers should hold fire because he will drift.
Pause Switch to Standard View Australia and York
Show More
Report workrider August 18, 2014 12:33 PM BST
In all honesty I can't see the lad making that kind of weight...
Report RoyalAcademy August 18, 2014 12:51 PM BST
unnecessary distractions like this must be infuriating for an outfit like Coolmore where the story becomes all about the boy
Report wildmanfromborneo August 18, 2014 2:16 PM BST
I watched the OBriens at the last Curragh meeting paying special attention to John F Kennedy,I watched them with other horses and its a joy to see their attention to detail.

Ideally Magnier would like a high profile jockey with no weight problems but look what he has,he has a dedicated genius in Aiden,he also has four hands on workers who are in the stable night and day,they know each horse and give them special attention that is nearly unbuyable.

Donnacha has yet to ride a winner but he has a lovely pair of hands and has the makings of a great jockey,accept he will have even more weight problems than Joseph.
Report pa lapsy August 18, 2014 4:15 PM BST
Very short at 8/13,a line through Kingston Hill,Night of Thunder/Mukhadram wouldn't have me rushing for that,the trip will be more suitable for Australia than for Telescope i think but ought to suit Mukdadram who at 10 times the price of the fav has a better chance than that.
Report dj876 August 18, 2014 6:49 PM BST
Do you really think his BSP will be greater than 1.7 Wildmanfromborneo with the 8lb WFA he receives?

I would have thought the current price is enhanced because there is still a slight doubt about his participation and he will be 1/2 or shorter on Wednesday.I am not sure how critical the fasting will be on a horse who should have too much speed for these over 10 furlongs. It would be more pertinent on a grinder and he will more than likely be a pound or two over.
Report wildmanfromborneo August 18, 2014 6:55 PM BST
The WFA is standard and has applied for all the Benson and Hedges.

The British stewards are different and much tougher and might not allow overweight.

I'm not so sure the ten furlongs will suit,I think he is a 12 furlong horse but they can't admit it.
Report wildmanfromborneo August 18, 2014 6:59 PM BST
I thought Willowing won as well.

The all in reference was a clue.
Report paulie wallnuts August 19, 2014 8:55 AM BST
The horse is a certainty......a baboon could ride it.....
Report The Gotchee August 19, 2014 9:27 AM BST
A few negatives about Australia.
Aidan has already issued an excuse.
Joseph trying to do 8-12
Never won over the trip.
No course form.
He is a 1m 4f horse.
On a line through Kingston Hill it would appear Mukhadram has better form than Australia.

A race to watch for me, good luck. Happy
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y August 19, 2014 10:06 AM BST
Always thought he looked made for 10f and think he could easily be better over it that 12f
Report paulie wallnuts August 19, 2014 10:23 AM BST
What a load of bawlox.....somebody puts up 6 negatives for  a horse and then says its a race to watch.....talk about sitting on a fence.....
Never won over the trip my hole......nearly won the guineas....how could the trip bother him....
How could he have course form if he never ran there before......
Who says he is a Im4f horse.....
And its only a few people who could really think Mukhadram is better than Australia....
When the gobshee and dan are opposing.....then that's the signal for a max play.....
Report neill d August 19, 2014 10:29 AM BST
The Irish Champion Stakes looks an absolute knockover this year from the awful entry I saw, don't think they would bother running in this unless they were pretty sure they would win. not to get too cryptic but they've strongish links with Herbert and Stoute and having recently began watching 'The Wire', I've become aware of how one hand washes the other.

Telescope is a grand horse and should take a group 1 somewhere given ordinary luck, but I couldn't see him giving the weight to a horse like Australia. Interestingly or not actually, Herbert was saying that Moore said telescope 'didn't feel the same horse' in the King George as in the Hardwicke. I really wish they'd park that stuff, every time Highclere have a good horse beaten, there is some excuse, Telescope ran the race of his life as far as I could see.
Report wildmanfromborneo August 19, 2014 10:35 AM BST
Some departure from Paulie Wallnuts when he is not complaining about food or the state of the jacks he is always frequenting he is slating jockeys,now it doesn't seem to matter a baboon can ride it.
Report paulie wallnuts August 19, 2014 10:57 AM BST
A wide open racecourse like York.....a small field....a pacemaker in position.....a ton in hand.....what can go wrong Dan.....even a baboon could ride it......anyway O Brien is one of the better jockeys.....not world class but reasonably competent.....that should be more than sufficient.....hes also not in the AW brigade......hes not one of the many jockeys you'd hav to be worried about doing their best for you when you need them....
Report paulie wallnuts August 19, 2014 11:00 AM BST
That Dan seems to be a big difference in our respective make up's......it looks to me like you are a little less discerning than myself....you don't seem to worry who rides the horses you back.....you aint too bothered what you eat....or where ya Shiite....
Each to their won I suppose.....
Report wildmanfromborneo August 19, 2014 11:02 AM BST
If a jockey is so weakened by wasting plenty can go wrong.

Australia is an odds on shot in a Group 1 you don't want those type of negatives.
Report frank60 August 19, 2014 11:02 AM BST
The horse is a certainty......a baboon could ride it.....Paulie            the only race that the great Brigadier Gerard was beaten in was this one back in 1972 Paulie at odds of 1/3.and he was a better horse then  Australia.
Report wildmanfromborneo August 19, 2014 11:03 AM BST
The jockey is one of the first thing I factor into my betting,the other two activities I prefer to do at home.
Report paulie wallnuts August 19, 2014 11:17 AM BST
Frank60.....with respect....that has nothing to do with what we are talking about.....how in gods name can a race 40 years ago have anything to do with tomorrows race....
Dan.....that's an interesting perspective.....so if you are hungry you don't eat til ya get home and if ya need a Shiite ya hang on to it till you reach base.....that's interesting behaviour.....
Report wildmanfromborneo August 19, 2014 11:23 AM BST
I am not afflicted with your nervousness,am used to betting so those photo finishes don't bother me.

Also if you weren't constantly eating the nervousness wouldn't have as big a consequence.

The history of a race is relevant.
Report pa lapsy August 19, 2014 11:24 AM BST
Fair enough the form book can have another use but the Kingston Hill formline is valid to me as well as The Gotchee in saying would i back Australia at his price.
Mukhadram beat Kingston Hill by 4 and 1/2L over 1m 2f giving 11lb
Austrailia beat Kingston hill by 1.75L
Australia is getting 8lb tomorrow.
How you view their respective superiority in them races is up to yourself,as the odds say probably will win,that would put me off backing it.
Report wildmanfromborneo August 19, 2014 11:33 AM BST
The race used to be a graveyard for favourites,Brigadier Gerard and Grundy two of the more famous but lately it hasn't been a three year olds race.

Sea The Stars and Giants Causeway the only ones of that age group winning since Benson and Hedges were stopped sponsoring.
Report paulie wallnuts August 19, 2014 11:33 AM BST
mukhadram form is worthless....hes been beaten too many times to be any good.....you can use lengths and weights any way ye like.....all I know is Australia is a top group 1 horse and mukhadram is nowhere near that level.....Australia is 1/10 to finish in front of mukhadram.....
Report pa lapsy August 19, 2014 11:44 AM BST
Paulie i,d chance that lay at 1/10.
Report gutfeeling August 19, 2014 5:01 PM BST
I'm with Pa on the value argument, Also JOB won't make the weight, Whether the horse is good enough to beat it's elders will be known tomorrow but at odds on I'm against it.
Report frank60 August 19, 2014 9:23 PM BST
i SEE JOB will be flying back fron york to ride a few for his dad in Killarney, His sister Anna and brother Donnacha O'Brien have a couple of rides as well,,,Weldman says  Donnacha  he has a lovely pair of hands and off 10 he just might get off the mark.
Report dj876 August 19, 2014 9:30 PM BST
The substance of comparing form lines through one horse's performance over different trips always contains a subjective element even ignoring the other conditions.

However I don't think many would dispute that Kingston Hill is a far superior horse over 12 furlongs (evinced by his style of running and back over 12F tomorrow) and to make direct comparisons from the eclipse form to the Derby is extremely dubious. It is difficult to glean much form the comparison at all,one could justifiably suggest that Kingston hill is a 10 lb better horse over 12 furlongs.

I find it difficult to believe that people think 10 Furlongs is a negative for Australia.
Report frank60 August 19, 2014 9:42 PM BST
THE best horse Aidan O'Brien claims he has ever trained faces his sternest test as he lines up against a stellar field in the Juddmonte International at York on Wednesday.

By Derby-winning super sire Galileo, out of Oaks heroine and wondermare Ouija Board, Australia was bred to be the best and has not disappointed so far, finishing a close third in the 2,000 Guineas before routing his British and Irish Derby rivals.

Yet in taking on his elders for the first time, over a distance shorter than he has been racing over and a trip already proven to be optimal for two of his Group 1-winning rivals, Australia has plenty of questions to answer, especially as his trainer has expressed concerns about his fitness following a short break.
"He's a good bit heavier than he was for Epsom and the Curragh, and is really just ready to start back," O'Brien said on Tuesday.

"We imagine he should come on a lot for the run, but he is in good form and all has gone well with him since he last ran. We've always thought that a mile and a quarter would suit him well."

It will have to as it is certain to suit Mukhadram, winner of the Group 1 Coral-Eclipse over the same distance. Also in opposition is this year's French Derby winner The Grey Gatsby, so impressive over the course and distance when landing the Dante in May.

Add to that Royal Ascot winner and King George runner-up Telescope and Australia faces three horses who have achieved more than the 19 he faced at Epsom and the Curragh. Wednesday's field is completed by Arod and Kingfisher.
Report paulie wallnuts August 19, 2014 9:52 PM BST
Its hardly a stellar field....its a Group 2 in all but name.....if he isn't capable of disposing with this rubbish then hes no superstar.....that saying id say he will beaat this trash with a leg tied up....
Report callitasucit August 19, 2014 9:55 PM BST
I would be pretty certain that Australia will be better over 10f. He looked set to win the Derby doing handstands at that trip, but ended up being more workmanlike than brilliant. Tomorrow we may see that brilliance. 4-6 looks perfectly fair, though I think the 2.5 on K Hill is a superior bet. I be shocked if he is beat.
Report The Gotchee August 19, 2014 11:47 PM BST
Kingman, Tagrooda and Sea the Moon are all brilliant 3 year olds, I am not sure Australia is in the same league. The Epsom Derby was no more than a G3 and the Irish version was little more than premier handicap/listed class race. Tomorrow's race is not much better and it is an ideal opportunity for Australia to add to his CV but I have my doubts.
Report callitasucit August 20, 2014 12:21 AM BST
Kingman qualifies as brilliant...not sure the other two have achieved that accolade. Im a big fan of Taghrooda, but as yet she hasn't beaten a certified group one horse yet. Sea The Moon has to prove he wasn't grossly flattered by the result the last day. Agreed the Derbys were poor.
Report workrider August 20, 2014 11:33 AM BST
Have tossed my hat into the ring and laid him , after reading AOB in todays r/post ..He says he feels Aussie will need the run and is heavier than when he won both derby's ..Now I realize this is a huge race in its own right , and maybe AOB has left a little to work on for the Arc , so with him appearing to need the run and with France very much in their sights on that basis I have laid him...
Report itcanbedone August 20, 2014 11:55 AM BST
Will be a case of seeing how he looks in the paddock.  Shameful that punters aren't given weights of horses pre-race, yet people harp on about how much difference 1 lb makes on his back.
Report itcanbedone August 20, 2014 11:57 AM BST
oh, wrong sign in name!  Was wondering why i could read Wonky's posts!
Report workrider August 20, 2014 12:01 PM BST
Laugh
Report pa lapsy August 20, 2014 12:01 PM BST
Don't disagree in regards racing weights pre race.
No doubt you will also be watching will he have a dump and if so in what quantity.
Total swerve by Mike and the badbook boys(1/2 as against a fairly gen 4/6)
Report workrider August 20, 2014 12:03 PM BST
Laugh Pa ...He'll be down with the shovel to weigh it no doubt...
Report pa lapsy August 20, 2014 12:07 PM BST
Grin Could be an opening there somewhere alright as a kind of reporting course inspector.
Report gutfeeling August 20, 2014 12:37 PM BST
Joseph will need a monumental dump to make weight Laugh
Report tony57 August 20, 2014 12:44 PM BST
only one bet on the York card for me today..BASATEEN 2.30..im hoping the rain comes if it does I,d be a lot happier..good luck all..
Report frank60 August 20, 2014 12:44 PM BST
I laid him at 1.63 for a ton last night, i would,nt be surprised if he went off at 1.8.
Report frank60 August 20, 2014 12:48 PM BST
I backed .BASATEEN myself Tony, hope your right m8
Report tony57 August 20, 2014 12:52 PM BST
if the rain comes frank I,d say he,d be bang there..
Report Ozymandius August 20, 2014 3:18 PM BST
well, how fat does Australia look to ye experts now that ye have had a good look at him?
Report wildmanfromborneo August 20, 2014 3:20 PM BST
You couldn't judge from watching on TV,you genuinely need to be there and equally should have an idea of his normal appearance.
Report workrider August 20, 2014 3:22 PM BST
Normal , from that view , I'd say the LAD leading him up needs to drop a few pounds ..Laugh
Report Ozymandius August 20, 2014 3:24 PM BST
we have had a 360 deg view now, I like what i see and will be investing accordingly.

looks better than joseph anyway, poor lad.
Report workrider August 20, 2014 3:25 PM BST
Wow fair play to young Joe , never thought he'd do that weight again...
Report workrider August 20, 2014 3:26 PM BST
Norman , if you can judge from that  , you're some man ...All one could see was his front ...
Report wildmanfromborneo August 20, 2014 3:28 PM BST
I agree with you Ozymandius with regards Joseph,he looks drained a big worry.

If its a tight finish can't see Joseph being any assistance.
Report pa lapsy August 20, 2014 3:42 PM BST
Looked fit to me(untrained eye) and went down nicely.
Joe rode the previous race all the way to the line.
Report itcanbedone August 20, 2014 3:46 PM BST
feel free to PM me Wonks if you need a paddock watching tutorial
Report workrider August 20, 2014 3:46 PM BST
Very impressive , done my tonsils there...Sad
Report wildmanfromborneo August 20, 2014 3:48 PM BST
A racehorse.

Bucked some trends there looks an absolute champion.
Report roadrunner46 August 20, 2014 3:48 PM BST
GUINEAS SPEED was there for all to seeHappy delivering at the moment
Report pa lapsy August 20, 2014 3:50 PM BST
Impressive,picked them up easily.
Report paulie wallnuts August 20, 2014 3:56 PM BST
He beat fukk all.....he wasnt even 100% right you will find......he didnt have to be against that rubbish....he is a brilliant horse but he didnt have to be that good to take care of an ordinary field.....
O Brien said he was ready for a racecourse gallop.....thats all he needed to be....
If he ever happened to meet Taghrooda....he'd beat her out of sight not to mind heaps of shiite like Mukhadram and Telescope....
Report pa lapsy August 20, 2014 3:57 PM BST
No reason not to disbelieve AO'B on that post race interview but if not fully fit there,he is very special indeed.
Report itcanbedone August 20, 2014 3:57 PM BST
Congatulations Wallnuts.

Your judgement, Sir, is impeccable.
Report Distant View August 20, 2014 4:01 PM BST
Well done Paulie.

What would he be rated now? 128-129?

Has still to progress to be one of the very best, but if he improves from that he certainly can rate 133 and above.
Report paulie wallnuts August 20, 2014 4:04 PM BST
Thank you Oz.....not blowing my own trumpet.....but it did it well.....theres no doubt hes a top top horse.....i think thats plain to see....but i wouldnt rate him any highly now than i did at 3 o clock.....i just think that he beat a second rate field.....hes a 100/1 on in the irish champion stakes.....and its only the Arc where he could be vulnerable....he may not run there anyway....
Report paulie wallnuts August 20, 2014 4:07 PM BST
I dont know what rating he would be distant.....to me his rating shouldnt go up after that performance.....i would say hes as good at 10f as Kingman would be at 8f......id say he'd be nigh on unbeatable at 12f also as long as the ground was quick....
Report Distant View August 20, 2014 4:10 PM BST
Rating will probably never accurately reflect him in the same way that it couldn't rate ROG or put an accurate figure on STS.

In the end he has been driven out to beat the 119 rated The Grey Gatsby by 2 lengths, but we know he is some way superior to that.

It is a pity that something like Just a Way is not coming to Ascot if he goes for Champion Stakes although if we get fast ground on 5 October it will be some race.
Report itcanbedone August 20, 2014 4:12 PM BST
I might have to consider unblocking you again, Wonks. 

Had I not been logged in under this name today, I would have missed the enormous pleasure of seeing a 'pro' like yourself do your tonsils by laying a horse based on what you read in a paper, rather than actually waiting to see the hoss. 

It's no wonder many on here consider you to be a bit thick.
Report workrider August 20, 2014 4:14 PM BST
Only a bit....Shocked
Report paulie wallnuts August 20, 2014 4:18 PM BST
On soft ground in Paris.....who knows what can happen....you have fillies coming good....unexposed french horses....also the likes of treve on a retrieval mission....japanese yokes....plus that horse who won the german derby....that looked an aeroplane also....plus the possibility of a bad draw.....so the Arc is a very difficult race.....all i know is there is no way Australia will get beaten anywhere else including America....
Report thegalwayman August 20, 2014 4:19 PM BST
A lot.
Report wildmanfromborneo August 20, 2014 4:31 PM BST
They won't run him on soft ground.
Arc to me is a dreadful race run at the wrong time of the year,I wouldn't let Australia near it.

He has passed another test by beating older horses and doing it not fully fit.

Paulie would you revise your opinion if he were to meet Kingman again,I would love to see Kingman come over for the Leopardstown race,that would be some race.
Report paulie wallnuts August 20, 2014 4:33 PM BST
Kingman is a miler Dan....they wont ever meet again.....
Report workrider August 20, 2014 4:37 PM BST
I think you are both in agreement re soft ground , Leopardstown seems to be the go to place ..The Arc decision will be made nearer the time...
Report wildmanfromborneo August 20, 2014 4:39 PM BST
Probably not but if Australia's has all this speed maybe he could drop back to a mile,that's one way of calling Coolmores bluff.
Report paulie wallnuts August 20, 2014 4:46 PM BST
Why would they run a 12f horse over 8.....it wouldn't make any sense.....
Report callitasucit August 20, 2014 4:48 PM BST
He done it well, but you would hope that he is a good deal better than that. The bare form is nothing to write home a bout. Telescope is not quite a Group One horse, and the Great Gatsby though an admirable sort is no world beater. Hopefully something of note will take him on in Leop, and we can see if he is the real deal.

Shame Free Eagle went wrong, he could have been something...
Report mrtopnotch August 20, 2014 4:50 PM BST
He's a 10f horse imo
Report wildmanfromborneo August 20, 2014 4:53 PM BST
Because being perceived as a 12 furlong horse is the kiss of death for a sire.

That's why you hear Aiden OBrien stress the speed element,he even has Joseph doing it,after the race he said a mile mile and a quarter horse.

Kingman would have no problem staying 10 furlongs,just have a look at the Irish Guineas,certainly would have no problem staying 10 furlongs round Leopardstown.
Report callitasucit August 20, 2014 4:53 PM BST
Kingman is all speed. Not a hope of seeing him over 10fur. No chance.
Report paulie wallnuts August 20, 2014 5:00 PM BST
Kingman wouldn't stay 10f in a horse box.....let alone get it at somewhere as stiff as Leopardstown......anybody who doesn't realise that Leopardstown isnt a stiff track needs to think of another game....
Report wildmanfromborneo August 20, 2014 5:23 PM BST
How can you say that with confidence,visually he wasn't stopping on dreadful ground on the Curragh over a mile.

So you must be basing it on his pedigree,he is by a sprinter but one who is getting milers and some ten furlong horses,his dam is by Zamindar a stamina influence.

Leopardstown has an uphill finish but its the two tight bends that mean its not the stiffest,would be nothing like the Curragh or Navan for that matter.
Report The Gotchee August 20, 2014 9:53 PM BST
Good performance today by Australia against a few canal barges. Still, you can only beat what is put up against you. To try and suggest that his run today was equivalent to a mark of 129 is a bit of an over reaction, 124 at best in my book and to suggest that a rating of 133 can be achieved is a little over ambitious. If he goes to the Arc we will see how good he is?
Report kavvie August 21, 2014 9:23 AM BST
the arc mightnt suit id think?usually soft ground at that time of year in paris.draw vital there also as its usually a big field.if he got drawn on the outside in a big field on soft going he would have no chance no matter how good he is.
Report Distant View August 21, 2014 9:42 AM BST
So 128 is the provisional rating that has been assigned to Australia, which despite not meeting the approval of The Gotchee, looks reasonable given that he won with a bit in hand.

He will not increase his rating by winning the Irish Champion, but if Taghrooda wins today and the Arc field is as competitive as it is shaping up to be, winning that well would certainly mean a rating in the 130s.

Defeating Cirrus in receipt of weight for age at Ascot certainly should not advance his rating.
Report frank60 August 21, 2014 10:03 AM BST
i seem to remember Treve won from a poor draw as year ; and she sweated badly before the race and she still won by 5L, So if Australia is good enough he will win kavvie.
Report kavvie August 21, 2014 10:12 AM BST
dunno frank..with his breeding hes the most valuable potential stallion on the planet..hes 3 yrs old.dont think they will want a war type race in paris..camelots irish derby win on soft/heavy i think took a lot out of the hore.wasnt the same horse after.they may not run in paris id be thinking
Report frank60 August 21, 2014 10:24 AM BST
Im belive great horses win on all going m8, the breeding stables await and most trainers or owners dont risk there horses on heavy or very soft ground,but you could be right ,i would,nt be surprised if irish champion was his last race.
Report Ozymandius August 21, 2014 10:26 AM BST
They will surely take him to the States, little downside, only upside.  Unlike the Arc.
Report paulie wallnuts August 21, 2014 10:29 AM BST
The gobshee wouldn't know a 128 if he saw it up on a front door......before the race he was telling us mukhadram was better than Australia.....after the race he's telling us that the winner beat canal barges.....leave me alone please....
Report Distant View August 21, 2014 10:52 AM BST
Not sure there is any upside to taking him to the States?

The Breeders Cup is really losing its appeal and his sire ran no sort of race on the dirt at Belmont.

While the dirt at Santa Anita might be a little easier to adapt to, it is still a very big ask to go there and win and given his lack of American breeding (unlike Giant's Causeway), a very good run will hardly make him appealing as a dirt sire afterwards.

The Turf is barely more than an egg and spoon race, albeit a valuable one, and following in the footsteps of Magician is hardly a priority. They may well try and get a much inferior colt to win that race and you would think that the likes of Adelaide would be a very suitable candidate.
Report mrtopnotch August 21, 2014 11:08 AM BST
‘He has to be up there with the very best’

By Tom Peacock

A reputation can be made easily, but real achievements have to be earned on the track.

At York yesterday, Australia proved his merit as a Coolmore champion in definitive fashion by winning the Juddmonte International Stakes.
While hardly short on accolades, and with English and Irish Derby already under his belt, the chestnut has still been burdened with the mantle of trainer Aidan O’Brien’s “best ever” Flat horse since the latter part of his two-year-old days.

Dropping back to a mile and a quarter, Australia not only brushed aside the French Derby winner The Grey Gatsby by two lengths, but left experienced Group One-class elders Telescope and Mukhadram treading water on the exacting plain of the Knavesmire.
While Joseph O’Brien starved to his absolute minimum weight of 8st 12lb, it must concern connections of other leading protagonists that the jockey’s father reported Australia to have been eating rather more substantially and had ballooned to as much as 20 kilograms heavier than he was at Epsom.

Sent off the 8-13 favourite, O’Brien tried to keep a lid on his mount at the rear of the field as stablemate Kingfisher pulled the sextet along until Mukhadram tried his usual trick of staking his claim early and hit the front with three furlongs left.
It became starkly obvious Australia was going to enter calculations when he began making progress on the wide outside but it was still quite surprising how easily he made it as he powered away inside the final furlong.“He was ready for a racecourse gallop, that was where he was at,” said O’Brien snr. “His weight rose alarmingly in the last three weeks but the lads at home were very happy.
“He was a lot of kilos up on his Derby run — he was 15-20 kilos heavier — and that’s a lot of weight.
“But Joseph said that leaving the paddock in the Derby he felt like he was a two- or three-year-old, but today leaving he felt like a five-year-old.

“There’s such prize-money here and it’s such a prestigious race that it’s very hard to gallop him at a racecourse rather than bring him here.” (only 80% fit)
O’Brien leaves decisions on planning to owners Coolmore, but said: “We had in our head to come here and then Leopardstown (Irish Champion Stakes, September 13) if everything went well.”

As Australia is so regally bred, by Derby winner Galileo out of Oaks heroine Ouija Board, he is a priceless asset to the Coolmore breeding operation.
There would be a huge demand to see him back against Kingman in the QEII at Ascot (Racebets offer 13-8 against 4-9 Kingman) but he could head in a slightly different direction.
Owner Michael Tabor said: “You go for a Derby because there’s nothing like a Derby, but the truth of matter is taking him to a mile and a quarter shows the speed he’s got, and Joseph said you take him back to a mile and it would be perfect for him.

“You’d have to say he has to be up there with the very best. In a perfect world he’ll go for (Leopardstown) and maybe the English Champion.
“Maybe one more after that, I don’t think so, but we’ll play out one race at a time.”
O’Brien also took time to praise his son, saying: “I can’t tell you the massive part Joseph plays. He can do 8st 12lb but we don’t like him doing it.
“We’re quite happy for him to put overweight up when he does. In the big days we want Joseph to be on and this is one of them.”

The man himself said: “He was a bit fresh, his first run back after a while, but it was never really in doubt.”
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com