Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
easygold
05 Apr 14 15:44
| Topic/replies: 6,584 | Blogger: easygold's blog
27 races (and still counting) he lost last season in my opinion . This hold-up riding especially on a deep surface is not the way forward, surely you have to change with the times............
And he is not the strongest when push comes to shove.............

But do they listen?????
Ryan Moore and Jamie Spencer were approached last year about the same opinion and I have seen a slight change in their skills lately.........
Pause Switch to Standard View FRAN BERRY........... YOU need to...
Show More
Report by purpose April 19, 2014 3:39 PM BST
Paddy Kiely would be proud of that.
Report J.R.Hartley April 19, 2014 9:59 PM BST
27 you say?........could we have a list please?
Report workrider April 19, 2014 11:31 PM BST
J.R.In for the defense straight away , How dare anyone question anything that might blight the purity of Irish racing , not on J.Rs watch anyway ....
Report J.R.Hartley April 20, 2014 12:40 AM BST
Please excuse me Workrider for i've obviously forgotten where i am again....here's me thinking this was a forum for debate.....an arena for original thought...it's just that as Easygold

mentioned a precise number i obviously thought he must have some sort of list from which we could judge for ourselves.

Foolish thoughts i know but fear not....tomorrow i shall stick my caps lock on, wander over to the horse racing forum and issue the most snivelling...stomach churning...apology i can

muster on behalf of the Irish nation for Fran Berrys actions.

How's that Apology of your own coming on btw....need any help?Laugh..
Report workrider April 20, 2014 10:27 AM BST
From what I can gather , a forum for one sided debate , nothing WRONG with Irish racing according to YOU ..Now THAT is stomach churning ...
Report pa lapsy April 20, 2014 10:35 AM BST
Workrider with respect think it is a legitimate question JR is asking to see this list of 27 races that Fran lost,no doubt probably a few but 27 is a fair percentage of his rides last season.
Report workrider April 20, 2014 11:44 AM BST
Fair enough Pa , just his defense of all things Irish gets to me a little ...No one more pro Irish racing than myself ..   Will have one for tomorrow , one of the lads will pass it on to you...Wait for the attack from you know who...
Report paulie wallnuts April 27, 2014 4:26 PM BST
Without doubt the worst rider in Ireland without a claim.....is weak as water.....is tactically inept.......and has no brain....but worst of all.....is cocky without the ability to back it up.......
Report easygold April 27, 2014 6:39 PM BST
Mmmmmmmmm,
Report J.R.Hartley April 28, 2014 10:06 AM BST
Never mind mmmmmmmmm.......where's this list?.....Laugh
Report paulie wallnuts April 28, 2014 10:31 AM BST
Don't mind wheres the list .....give me one horse in the last 5 years that he won on that he shouldn't......just one is all I want....
He loses plenty he shouldn't.....and is invariably out of his ground....spends half an hour in races flapping and trying to change his whip.....he even won a race lately on Thomas Edison and it just got up on the line.....it should have won 3 lengths.....
Report paulie wallnuts April 28, 2014 10:34 AM BST
The only people that use him are ones who have an allegiance to JP McManus.....if he hadn't that connection then he wouldn't get a ride.....he was with Oxx who knows his onions.....no connection to JP.....the high road for Francis Martin.....and understandably so....
Report J.R.Hartley April 28, 2014 10:41 AM BST
Winning a handicap a short head instead of 3 lenths is a very underated talent imo.....Laugh......how many years was he with John Oxx btw.....slow on the uptake is John.....Grin
Report paulie wallnuts April 28, 2014 10:47 AM BST
he was second rider with Oxx.....so he only got limited opportunities.....when his chance came Oxx gave him a go for a season.....then he cried halt.....He gave Berry a chance and he wasn't up to it.....he wasn't then and he certainly isn't now.....
Report newapproach April 28, 2014 12:27 PM BST
You're spouting a lot of nonsense here Paulie. Fran left oxx because Murtagh was brought in as first rider to the aga khan and he was responsible for the majority of the oxx string at the time. It would have been ridiculous to have one jockey for the aga khan horses and berry riding the leftovers. Fran didn't do that badly the one season he was first rider considering oxx had a very poor crop of horses that year.

I think Berry has done brilliantly over the last few years to be consistently in the top 5 of the jockeys championship without ever having the full backing of a major stable, something  no-one else has done i recent years in the closed shop that is Irish racing.
Report J.R.Hartley April 28, 2014 12:52 PM BST
Have to agree with all that New approach.....Oxx would have been happy to keep him on tbf.....don't think Fran was too pleased after turning

down the Mark Johnston job to stay with John Oxx though.

What 'allegiance' does Mark Johnston have with JP btw Paulie?....Confused
Report paulie wallnuts April 28, 2014 1:04 PM BST
Oxx would not have been happy to keep him.....thats a load of bollloxx.....who ever said that he was offered a job at mark johnstons......he was in his hole offered a job any where.....
Now JR....i am still looking for ONE ride in the last 5 years where he made a difference......and another question name ONE horse that he has ridden outside of handicaps in the last while that isnt in some way connected to JP......
New Approach......the backing of a stable are you serious.....he has a better backing than most stables.....his connections put him on horses that he'd never be riding otherwise.....the reason he gets alot of chances is that the trainers are afraid that they will ruffle the bosses feathers if they tell him they dont want him......did JP buy many of Oxx cast offs since Fran got the gate.......answer no.....did they buy them before that......answer yes.....
Report newapproach April 28, 2014 1:32 PM BST
He has ridden plenty of good horses for good stables, just go on the racing post website and look for yourself. For example, he rode a horse called dutch rose in listed race for david o meara, dark crusader for tony martin, morning post kevin ryanand thats just last year. Prior to that, he rode good winners for jessie harrington inc dragon pulse and bible belt and gordan lord byron for tom hogan on one occasion.

To be honest, I don't think he is riding as well as he has been the last few years but he is still, without doubt, within the top 5 jockeys in the country imo. To suggest that he is the worst jockey riding without a claim is ludicrous and gross exaggeration.
Report J.R.Hartley April 28, 2014 1:33 PM BST
Now Paulie.....as if i could come up with a bigger endorsment of his talents than you already have......winning a Curragh handicap by a short head instead of 3 lengths!!!
Put's him right up there with Lester and Scobie imo......LaughLaughLaugh
Report paulie wallnuts April 28, 2014 1:55 PM BST
The difference being JR is that when lester and scobie we're doing that.... It was by design and not by accident.....                                            Now new approach you reckon Francis Martin is in the top 5, so which one of manning Smullen  Joseph o Brien Hayes foley is he better than ..... Not to mention lordan king lynch and a few others I've forgotten
Report newapproach April 28, 2014 2:02 PM BST
Very subjective I know but he is better than hayes, foley, king and lynch imo anyway. King is a 5lb claimer, don't think he is in their league yet anyway. Hayes riding well atm with good ammo, still have fran better though. Definitely better than foley imo. Lynch has a very shady past, hasn't got back to the top table yet, neither will he imo.
Report neill d April 28, 2014 5:15 PM BST
Didn't think retaining a stable jock was the MO of Mark Johnston. I thought he operated some kind of system whereby if a guy got on a horse and did well, he kept the ride. He was also supposed to be notoriously difficult to work with in that he doesn't 'work with' his jockeys. Ever before Greg Fairley was nailed for messing around, Johnston had stopped giving him rides for months because Fairley's mother (his agent) complained that Johnston was sending him south to places like Kempton and Lingfield for 1 or 2 rides when he could have had a full book from outside trainers up North on the same day.

I never heard that rumour re Fran Berry, and to be honest, I think he would be better than 90% of jocks who ply their trade in the North, but if Johnston was ever going to retain a jockey, I thought it would have been Da Silva. Fanning gets a lot of the average yokes that are capable of winning, but if Johnston comes upon a decent horse, it will be Da Silva or Barza in the plate given they would be riding them the following year for Godolphin anyway.
Report neill d April 28, 2014 5:19 PM BST
One other thing as well, aside from his connections, Berry comes across as a pleasant fella, is presentable and is a good talker in relative terms. That would also be a massive help as plenty of Flat jockeys just do not come across well. we'll put it down to the wasting!!
Report easygold April 28, 2014 7:27 PM BST
New Approach?????? Berry better than Hayes, I`m sure you will change ur mind very soon...........
Report easygold April 28, 2014 7:37 PM BST
People are missing the point here, I`m trying to improve jockey`s with my comments........... he does need to change his skills I`ve seem him ride 1,000s of horses . And if I comment on something i`m not happy with you can be sure it is for a good reason.

J.R List???? that`s a bit much...... but here at two Hurricane Sky and Peggy`s Leg.

Paulie????? Thomas Edison is a quirky horse finds little off the bridle, he rode that very well.
Report easygold April 28, 2014 7:39 PM BST
Neil D, it`s De Sousa....... sorry for been pedantic.
Report newapproach April 28, 2014 7:44 PM BST
There's no doubt hayes had a better year than fran last year but if they were both to retire tomorrow, i'd definitely say berry was the better jockey. Hayes rode very well last year, no doubt his confidence boosted by the backing of good yards like deegan, prendergast and oliver. Fran didn't have that last year but if he got strong backing from a good yard, I think he would get his confidence back.
Report neill d April 28, 2014 7:50 PM BST
No problem easygold, no harm in being correct I guess.
Report J.R.Hartley April 28, 2014 8:26 PM BST
Christ EG i hope the other 25 are better than those two....Laugh......i'm guessing that you mean the Curragh and Limerick runs?...although i'm thinking that you couldn't be!.....Shocked
Report easygold April 28, 2014 8:29 PM BST
Think for the future N.Approach ,what really does Berry offer, that Hayes doesn`t........ . When do you see Hayes in the wrong position?
Report paulie wallnuts April 28, 2014 10:26 PM BST
When do you see hayes in the wrong position......hardly ever......when is francis martin in the right position.....hardly ever.....
Chris Hayes would wipe his arrse with francis martin......there is no comparison and anyone who thinks any differently hasnt a clue....
Report newapproach April 29, 2014 9:18 AM BST
There's only one person here who doesn't have a clue if you think you can be so definitive about comparing jockeys. For the record, I think both these riders are very good. But Berry has been doing it a lot longer than Hayes. Hayes had an excellent 2013, but before 2012, nobody would have near the top 10 jockeys in the country. Just look at his strike rate before 2012.

No doubt Fran had a bad year last year and hayes had an excellent year, but I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon on that basis. Hayes had a lot better support from good trainers like deegan and prendergast. Paulie says berry is getting better support than most stables, presumably refering to his connection to McManus, this is nonsense. Berry only rode four horses in 2013 connected to McManus which had a RPR higher than 100. He is riding ordinary handicappers who are being primed for a jumps career in the main through his association with J.P. To suggest he is getting better support than the majority of riders in the country is absolute rubbish and shows who is the one that is clueless.
Report paulie wallnuts April 29, 2014 11:18 AM BST
new approach.....the reason he doesn't ride highly rated horses is because the people who know don't rate him.....he gets more than enough opportunities than his ability deserves.....if he was called francis martin hayes he'd be on the scrapheap.....
Report by purpose April 29, 2014 5:12 PM BST
Mark Walsh is a fair one.
Report paulie wallnuts April 29, 2014 5:21 PM BST
yes the national hunt equivalent of francis martin......if there was 176 horses in a race.....he'd still want to be last....saying that if there was an extra half mile in every race he rides in.....hed ride more winners than McCoy.......mark dooesnt look the brightest spark.....and when he rides horses.....he disproves the book by the cover theory.....
Report paulie wallnuts May 5, 2014 3:11 PM BST
Nice exhibition there from francis martin at the curragh.....fell off one when the stalls opened.....and an excellent booking by JPM......
Report by purpose May 5, 2014 3:11 PM BST
Unreal.Like jumping of a tram.
Report paulie wallnuts May 5, 2014 3:21 PM BST
yes and you will have the same morons saying the horse stumbled.......and that he couldnt do anything about it.....well id like to know when that happened last to any good jockey.....because i cant remember it.....
Report The Gotchee May 5, 2014 3:48 PM BST
Good man paulie. You seem to have a habit of putting your foot in it. Laugh
Report The Gotchee May 5, 2014 3:53 PM BST
In all fairness it will be hard to beat this posting; It is a classic on the football forum

Stoke wont score.....so this game is now over.....
paulie wallnuts

paulie wallnuts
12/01/2014 16:17
| Topic/replies: 912 | Blogger: paulie wallnuts's blog
Just turned off the telly.....no further interest for me......ive never seen Stoke score in my life.....so today isn't going to be any different surely.....

because nobody should be expected to pay to see this Stoke team play.....fair enough you could watch Liverpool.....but this other crowd....with Walters...Crouch....Adam.....and they have worse than them as well.....

In the not too distant future, I envisage the time when there will be university courses in Mugginess, and that this thread will be seen as one of the landmark case studies in the subject.

Let's examin in a little more detail......

1) Stoke won't score so the game is over now (Stoke score 3 times)

2) nobody should be expected to pay to see this Stoke team play (Stoke made a big contribution to one of the most entertaining games of the season)

3) disparaging comments about Walters...Crouch....Adam......

Stoke's first goal...a cracking header from Crouch, placed to perfection in the corner.

Stoke's second goal, a sweet strike from 20 yards by Adam.

Stoke's third goal courtesy of Walters.

You know we all have occasions where we've said or written something, then we just wish we could crawl under a rock....he's one of those moments for the OP.

Most definitely MUG of the Month, and leading the way in the MUG of the Year stakes.

I will be observing going forward to form a view as to whether this is an unfortunate one-off, or whether the OP spouts drivel on a continuous basis.........
Report paulie wallnuts May 5, 2014 3:53 PM BST
Another moron that looks at the result and automatically assumes the winner gets a good ride.....but then what would ya expect from a gobsheete.....
Report The Gotchee May 5, 2014 3:59 PM BST
What are you laying in the nextLaugh
Report paulie wallnuts May 5, 2014 4:05 PM BST
Did i say i was laying anything.....you absolute imbecile.....seeing that you are so adept at dragging up old threads.....please show me one where i advised laying a horse that won any race.....thank you gobshheete....
Report dj876 May 5, 2014 4:35 PM BST
I do not know why you even bother replying to him Paulie,the Gotchee is a troll who is a complete waste of space.

Hits a couple of big priced winners and then declares himself "The Greatest",his logic for having a bet is most revealing about his knowledge of racing and normally amounts to something like to unexposed and up in trip.(complete and utter tripe).

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day,throw enough darts and you are bound to hit every now and again but it's his explanation for having the bet that reveals all. No problem with fellows throwing up selections but the Gotchee is a grade 1 Pr1ck!
Report paulie wallnuts May 5, 2014 4:49 PM BST
i know what hes like alright dj.....his time spent chasing stamford bridge sums up the clown......a grade 1 fool....and yer right im worse for engaging with the ginnitt.....
Report The Gotchee May 5, 2014 5:07 PM BST
The two lovers are trying to gang up on me now. Laugh

Pair of bullies. It's great to know you both take a keen interest in my selections. It is a pity you don't back them you would be in serious profit.

Azurite pair of tools.Laugh
Report J.R.Hartley May 5, 2014 8:53 PM BST
The wonderful,unique talents of Francis Martin Berry on full show today....Grin.....wins another Curragh handicap by a narrow margin....happening too often to be by accident Paulie Laugh....move over Lester and Scobie.
Report easygold May 10, 2014 4:25 PM BST
And again held-up, wide, the wider........ and staying on late. 4.20 Wex
Report newapproach May 10, 2014 6:04 PM BST
To be fair easygold, the horse was drawn wide and broke slowly from the stalls. I don't think he had much choice about going wide, he could have waited but I don't think the gaps were coming.

People will probably think I'm defending him every time but I honestly don't think there was much he could do in this instance.
Report J.R.Hartley May 10, 2014 6:18 PM BST
Seriously though Easygold......anyone who states that Fran was to blame for getting Hurricane Sky beat shouldn't be commenting on anyone's riding 'skills'.
Report easygold May 10, 2014 6:33 PM BST
J.R, if you think I was going to name every horse to you what I have worked so hard to figure out in the last few years, because you asked with a smiley face............ come on.

This thread is not for you guys........... maybe someone like Fran himself may take a look at a Forum with his name on it.???
Report J.R.Hartley May 10, 2014 6:38 PM BST
Easygold you stated that Fran 'lost 27 races last season not 20 or 25 but 27....you then cherry pick two of the worst examples imaginable to argue your case....

Regarding your second sentence above.......get a grip.
Report easygold May 10, 2014 6:44 PM BST
Yes those two horses should won last year......... do u want me to go and tell you which races? As I said this thread is not for forum guy`s
Report J.R.Hartley May 10, 2014 6:54 PM BST
You've put a thread on the forum...'not for forum guy's'!!!....i see Easygold, well why didn't you say so?......i'll leave you to it then....give me a shout when Fran logs in please.
Report paulie wallnuts May 10, 2014 8:51 PM BST
JR......im very interested in a diferent figure.....the number one.....could we have one example of a winner that he roder that he shouldn't have.....in the last 5 years......just one will do....
New approach......being slow from the stalls is a favourite of his.....he is always behind in races.....almost never in front and when he does.....ala Raes Creek in the Curragh.....he goes off like its the Kings Stand....
Report The Gotchee May 10, 2014 9:12 PM BST
paulie,could we have one example of a positive contribution you have made on this forum.....in the last 5 years......just one will do....

Your continuous derogatory comments about Fran Berry are getting a bit painful. Leave the chap alone and change the record.
Report paulie wallnuts May 10, 2014 9:20 PM BST
The one positive thing I do is remind everybody what kind of a yoke you are gobshee......nobody can be left forget how you haunted Stamford bridge from this forum.....somebody who had an in depth knowledge of the game being constantly harassed by somebody like yourself with no idea.....
Report J.R.Hartley May 10, 2014 9:40 PM BST
I'd love to comment Paulie but have to respect the Op's wishes....this is a thread for Fran Berry's eyes only apparently.
Report paulie wallnuts May 10, 2014 9:44 PM BST
You mean you'd love to comment but you cant find one example......and do you know why JR.....because there isn't one.....
Report J.R.Hartley May 10, 2014 9:55 PM BST
I can only apologise on Paulie's behalf Easygold.......admittedly it's very difficult to point out an example to someone who has no idea what they are looking at Paulie......maybe you can 

ask one of your shrewdie friends to give you a hand.......be sure to get back to me.
Report The Gotchee May 10, 2014 10:05 PM BST
Paulie, stamford bridge still posts on here but he uses another username and you are quite well aware of that.
I did not hound him from the forum he just bottled it when he was asked to take part in the tipping competition by moneypenny. He went missing after that invitation but he has appeared here since under another guise, a bit like yourself who was banned from here when you were previously know as robo. Your anger is getting the better of you, goodnight
Report paulie wallnuts May 10, 2014 10:56 PM BST
Gobshee.....Stamford bridge does not post here u wannka.....you chased him successfully ya yoke ya....please identify his other username for me when you get a chance.....
another thing .....robo was never banned.....
As for JR.....its you who has no idea what you are looking at......anyone who thinks francis martin  is  a top flat jockey hasn't a notion....
Report CheltenhamRoar June 6, 2014 9:15 PM BST
G'wan Fran Laugh
Report by purpose June 6, 2014 9:24 PM BST
The 3 winners he rode will go up about 32lb between them.Tells you what the had in hand for him to ride a treble. Pyromaniac will get 14lb Henry about 10lb and the last another 8lb or even 10lb. Marty Morrissey would have got them home.
Report CheltenhamRoar June 6, 2014 10:20 PM BST
No doubt u backed them all so Grin
Report by purpose June 7, 2014 11:16 AM BST
Ye in a Lucky 31 with the 2 Lyons horses seen as were taking the p1ss..
Report CheltenhamRoar July 7, 2014 6:34 PM BST
Nice piece of work on Elusive Laurence Crazy
Report foxy top July 15, 2014 6:03 PM BST
Crazy
Report kavvie July 16, 2014 6:44 PM BST
i was there and i backed elusive laurence.id say he was beaten fair and square
Report CheltenhamRoar February 22, 2016 12:20 PM GMT
RALPH BECKETT announced on Monday that Fran Berry, one of Ireland's most successful riders, will join his yard as first jockey for the 2016 season.

Beckett told the Racing Post: "We're really looking forward to it. Fran's a vastly experienced rider, a very sympathetic horseman, and at 35 he's still very much in his prime.

"It just seemed like a good fit for us. We've been without a stable jockey for 18 months."
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com