Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
betting_masta
06 Sep 20 13:18
| Topic/replies: 14,010 | Blogger: betting_masta's blog
if you fancy 4 horses all to win
is there a better bet than the yankee if 1 or 2 of them don't win?
not talking e/w either
Pause Switch to Standard View Is there a better bet than a yankee
Show More
Report The Management September 6, 2020 1:28 PM BST
First one loses - you lose 7 of your 11 steaks.

Just leave out the loser and do a Trixie imo Wink
Report ashleigh September 6, 2020 1:31 PM BST
lucky 15 with treble the odds 1 winner.
Report dave1357 September 6, 2020 1:37 PM BST
This is an interesting question.  If you have a positive expectation for all selections you would get a higher return long term by putting on a £100 4-fold than four £25 singles.  But the 4-fold would have much higher variance so you would have to put less on than the singles to maximize return while avoiding going broke.
Report dave1357 September 6, 2020 1:57 PM BST
Using Kelly staking, if you had a £1000 bank and found four 4/5 shots that were actually priced at evens, you could put £34 on the 4-fold but £100 oneach of the 4 singles.  So just on that the singles would be better for long term return (although there are complicating factors like fluctuating bankroll).
Report betting_masta September 6, 2020 2:08 PM BST
Trixie could be the way forward then, strengthens the outcome by removing a variable
Report tyred September 6, 2020 2:16 PM BST
only just thought of this having read this thread and have never tried it but using the same 4 selections but the emphasis on the strongest 2 or 3 selections, maybe divide the selections and stake into not one but 3 trixies and a 4 timer, would be 13 bets instead of 11 but probably won't lose as many bets by the 1st one losing.

I may have confused myself here but will give it a go when fancying 4 next time Crazy
Report onlooker September 6, 2020 2:48 PM BST
As the first response on this Thread indicates ...

Is there a WORSE bet than a yankee? - 'One Loser = 7 Losing Bets'
------------

Well - perhaps ...

A Patent - On short Odds shots - Where a 2/1 single Winner only covers the other 2 Losing Singles ... Any price Less = Overal Loss - just on the Singles. 

Worst  still - an Each-Way Patent - with only One Placed ... Needs that Placed horse to start at 25/1 (Fifth odds a Place) for that Placed horse to cover the Losing Win part, and the other 2 Unplaced Singles.
Report Alices September 6, 2020 3:12 PM BST
Agree with Ashleigh
Report dave1357 September 6, 2020 3:17 PM BST
The prob with the L15 is that it overstakes same bets relative to others.  Probably the optimum bet if you have 4 ev+ runners is a L15 with bonus plus additional bets on top to correctly stake the rest of the combos and singles.
Report dave1357 September 6, 2020 3:18 PM BST
*overstakes some bets
Report Billy Liddell September 6, 2020 3:45 PM BST
Liverpool Round The Clock Double out Stakes is the best value bet if all three win.

13 Bets

£1 RTC/DOS, costs  £13

1 winner  £3 win   minus £6
2 winners   2 x £5 wins, £1 double.  minus  £12
3 winners  3 x £7 wins, 3 x £3 doubles, £1 treble.  minus  £18
Report Happy Valley September 6, 2020 4:06 PM BST
why not just do 6 e/w doubles and one e/w four-timer!
Report tyred September 6, 2020 4:26 PM BST
you'd be gutted if you have 3 winners and one unplaced !
Report brians September 6, 2020 4:50 PM BST
My fav is 10 £2 trebles and  £1 acca. 11 bets. 5 selections. One treble will usually show a profit unless Odds on.  If you are lucky enough to get all then boom !!!  Once had 5 winners around 3/1 and I picked up a few thousand quid.....can't remember exactly, was a long time ago !
Report jonjon September 6, 2020 4:53 PM BST
ew trixie.

Nap
Nb
Treble

Lovely bet.
Report themightymac September 6, 2020 4:55 PM BST
Yankees and all other multis are for dreamers. Bookies take them all day long. Hard enough to pick one winner. Single bets at level stakes and you might show a profit.

..... in fact, all ask yourself a question. How many Yankee bets have you had during a lifetime gambling? Exactly. Case closed.
Report themightymac September 6, 2020 4:56 PM BST
*How many Yankee bets have you had during a lifetime gambling where all 4 WON?
Report chavman September 6, 2020 5:01 PM BST
i personally think a patent is the best value multi,although if you can get a 3x one winner L15 you cant go wrong.

all personal opinion though,everybody has a different view.
Report tyred September 6, 2020 5:03 PM BST
trixie is better than a patent, are you unable to bet singles and are that desperate to have a single in a multi bet ?!
Report s.kenbo September 6, 2020 5:07 PM BST
Any bet where you get a winner and no pay out is not for me!

George B proved (several times) that backing horses at a price can pay off for a Lucky bet. I think shorties are no good. You can have two 2/1 winners and not win a penny, or lose money.
Report chavman September 6, 2020 5:07 PM BST
so youre now betting for me then?
Report chavman September 6, 2020 5:09 PM BST
i concur with s.kenbo  (the s stands for sage)Cool
Report s.kenbo September 6, 2020 5:09 PM BST
It’s actually ‘strange’! Wink
Report tyred September 6, 2020 5:10 PM BST
whatever your stake, be it 10p a pound or a fiver etc, when betting a multiple, you are hoping for more than one winner, what is the point of adding singles to a multiple bet ?!

answer is none !
Report s.kenbo September 6, 2020 5:11 PM BST
A 10/1 winner on a yankee pays zero.

A 10/1 winner on a Lucky 15 pays thirty-one. You do the math!!
Report FatPunt September 6, 2020 5:14 PM BST
The only multiple bet I'd entertain is a Trixie. Having trouble finding one winner at present. Cry
Report The Management September 6, 2020 5:16 PM BST
Tyred of poasting this:

If they go to the trouble of printing a special pretty ticket for it - it is generally a mugs bet (with the possible exception of treble odds one winner on a L15). HTH AGAIN!!
Report penzance September 6, 2020 5:17 PM BST
Lucky 15s better than a yankee,just my
view.Even with no bonus on 1 winner you
get some back.
Report six_six_six September 6, 2020 5:19 PM BST
You don't make selections to fill a pre-determined bet type (unless you're a mug).  You make your selection(s) and then determine your bet(s) considering the price(s) and shape of the race(s).
Report s.kenbo September 6, 2020 5:19 PM BST
TM, that’s pretty solid logic. Laugh
Report The Management September 6, 2020 5:21 PM BST
six_six_six06 Sep 20 17:19Joined: 14 Apr 07 | Topic/replies: 211 | Blogger: six_six_six's blog
You don't make selections to fill a pre-determined bet type (unless you're a mug).  You make your selection(s) and then determine your bet(s) considering the price(s) and shape of the race(s).

But if you do end up with 8 selections - obviously an Each Way Union Jack Patent is the way to go! BlushBlushWhoopsWhoopsShockedShockedCryCry
Report penzance September 6, 2020 5:21 PM BST
before,a L15 was called a Yap.
Report six_six_six September 6, 2020 5:28 PM BST
If you have 8 selections you are probably not being selective enough!  Mind you if they were all 25s+ I might consider an ew goliath! (I don't think they do lucky 255s do they?)
Report The Management September 6, 2020 5:35 PM BST
Remember having a chat with a friendly/talkative trainee cashier (back in the days when they used to train them!) - a mystery (never before seen punter) had done a £247 Goliath (£1 stake) and this young lad (fresh back from a bet settling course in Weston-Super-Mare) was showing off to me how much this "mug" had lost after his first selection finished third.

Asked him the next day how it turned out - the "mug" had five winners and took them for £7k WhoopsLaugh

Still a mug bet though imo!
Report penzance September 6, 2020 5:37 PM BST
no doubt some people specailise in them,
thats their bet.Each to their own.
Report bettinghelp September 6, 2020 5:51 PM BST
Makes no sense to have the same stake on the 4/1 single as you do on the 250,000/1 accumulator.

Write your selections on a slip, number them, and write your own staking plan at the bottom. Shape your stakes around the prices, or your differing confidence in the selections, or both.
Report duffy September 6, 2020 5:52 PM BST
You don't want to be wasting money on singles in these multiples for starters, I never do the named multiple bets, rather just do doubles, trebles etc  and adjust stakes to suit.
Report Dav_vin03 September 7, 2020 10:58 PM BST
Win Patent is the way to go

11 bets on doubles, treble and accumulator
Report onlooker September 7, 2020 11:47 PM BST
^  Err ...

That's a YANKEE - Not a "Patent"

- and - as I  posted earlier - A Patent is the worst value bet.
Report Macintoshmatty September 8, 2020 12:53 AM BST
How about a perm patent with an ew acca thrown in
4 horses 28 bets plus 2 for the ew acca

Basically for £1 stakes it gives you £3 singles, £2 doubles, £1 trebles plus your £1 ew acca or a £2 win acca if you bet on short ones
So bigger stake on the more likely outcome

I used to do them a lot pre-internet days when I used to put my bets on in a shop before going home to watch them on the tele.
Must admit I now do more super yankees for small stakes and back them in singles on here, must admit I've had a few good draws on following the George method
small ew on half decent prices
Report tyred September 8, 2020 1:03 PM BST
best of the worst multiple bet is/was the flag, you could pick 6 winners and still have no returns Crazy
Report saxon farm September 8, 2020 1:33 PM BST
^
You mean the Union Jack.
A flag bet is 4 selections 12 ssa and a Yankee making 23 bets.
Report tyred September 8, 2020 1:38 PM BST
oh yeah, Union Jack, going senile innit Laugh
Report Lee Ho Fooks September 8, 2020 1:47 PM BST
Odds will surely determine what you do.
Report roggrain September 8, 2020 6:56 PM BST
All these types of bets are extremely poor value as there is a takeout for each runner. Do some maths.

Work out the actual chances of each runner winning based on the book for each race and compare that with the

returns should the bet come in. You will find that the bookies are making huge overrounds
Report MisterGee September 8, 2020 7:39 PM BST
Ah this has had me reminiscing.....rarely do multiple bets (except on Golf) but in 1996 i had a 20p yankee (£2.42 inc tax) consisting of a first time out Jack Berry / John Carroll 2YO W15/8, one the Palacegate horses also Berry/Carroll W11/1, AP McCoy on an ex flat horse for Julie Cecil in a Nov Hurdle at Ascot 5/1. Finished with Frankie making all on one for Ian Balding / Paul Mellon after the short priced fav wouldn't go in the stalls (Carson / Dunlop / Hamdan). If i knew then what i know now......LaughLaugh
Report xmoneyx September 8, 2020 10:02 PM BST
bookies must light a candle to
agnes haddock every year
Report Facts September 8, 2020 11:02 PM BST
Bookmaking industry hate single bets, but absolutely love the ' exotics'

Speaks for itself.
Report themightymac September 9, 2020 12:02 AM BST
That`s a Fact Facts.

Good to see you back. Hope you are well.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com