Forums

Horse Antepost

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
impossible123
06 Aug 18 17:31
| Topic/replies: 20,354 | Blogger: impossible123's blog
Poets Word have been confirmed for this; the other two main protagonists are Roaring Lion and Saxon Warrior. If all three show up it has the ingredients of a great race in the making. If Without Parole or Cracksman shows up too, we could have the best 10f horses on show.

Best Prices: Poets Word - 3/1 (skybet/matchbook), 'paddies' only 13/8.
                  Roaring Lion - 3/1
                  Saxon Warrior - 5/1
                  Cracksman - 8/1
                  Without Parole - 25/1

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 56
By:
impossible123
When: 07 Aug 18 17:06
I think this is Poets Word for the taking unless Saxon Warrior makes an almighty improvement to beat Roaring Lion convincingly, but given the well-being of AOB's horses and their performances lately this looks an extremely tall order indeed; 5/2 best price is ok too, I think, all things being equal.
By:
impossible123
When: 08 Aug 18 17:50
AOB on Saxon Warrior: "At the moment, we're looking at the Juddmonte International for him next and then we'll have a better idea of which route to take afterwards. He has entries in both the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (8f) and the Champion Stakes (10f) and could go for either race."

From the above one could safely and confidently infer if Saxon Warrior does not win this race (on merit) he'll be dropped in trip to 8f, and possibly meet Alpha Centauri in the QE II Stakes at Ascot on 20th October.
By:
Millerracing67
When: 11 Aug 18 13:00
Had a couple of small interests on here, Cracksman 11.0 & Enable 10.0. Both want rain, doesn't sound like Ensble is going to York?? Some ease in the ground might change their view on that?
By:
impossible123
When: 11 Aug 18 14:58
I think this would be too tough an intro for Enable given her injury, and the Arc her ultimate target; Cracksman is all about the weather which could turn in his favour - a bit of precipitation expected; the latest comments by AOB about Saxon warrior did not inspire confidence.

If no rain this can go to Poets Word as I believe he's improved this season, but Roaring Lion will be no pushover though.
By:
duffy
When: 13 Aug 18 15:57
Is "rain" the only issue regarding Cracksman's participation? if so then the 8's is big....similar scenario to the KG...hopefully with his participation this time....the long straight will make all the difference to him.
By:
unclepuncle
When: 13 Aug 18 16:52
^ Barely any rain in the forecast after today - and dry, warm and quite sunny for the 5-6 days leading up to the race, so if Gosden is true to his word Cracksman won't be running.

Only way he might run is if Poets Word swerves the race, unlikely but Stoute may possibly feel he needs more time to recover.
By:
impossible123
When: 13 Aug 18 17:28
The intention is to run Cracksman but underfoot condition is a prerequisite, I understand, similar scenario to the King George. I agree, 10 here represents value given he'd be nearer 5/2 or 3/1; some rain is expected now and then.
By:
Andrew in Sweden
When: 13 Aug 18 21:19
Anyone want to lay Roaring Lion at better odds than the general 3/1 bookmakers price ?

I would back it tomorrow if so (you then have the NR advantage).
By:
deepingfox
When: 15 Aug 18 16:06
I am going to row in with the 3 year-olds in this race, looking forward to going up to York, to see the race.

I'm a big fan of Saxon Warrior, and Roaring Lion, but having seen how LATROBE strode to the front in the Irish Derby, I am very interested in the step back in trip, chosen by connections.

He is a tall imposing frame of a horse, and much the most inexperienced, so a classic win LTO was commendable.

He showed a lot of speed, to join the leaders, and to my eyes, has the ability to go from the front if needed, up Yorks long flat straight.

He isn't an obvious selection, but at 25/1 in a place,in the bettin market, I think he could go off at less than half that price and run well, and maybe manage to stay out front.

He is much the best chance of the long-shot prices.
By:
impossible123
When: 15 Aug 18 16:54
York had 33mm of rain on monday and the going is presently good, good to soft in places. The Met 5 day forecast is a front of rain to pass through early thursday morning and then largely dry and cloudy.

33mm that fell was not predicted, and it looks like going to the wire again whether Cracksman runs or not, I think.
By:
EastLower Gooner
When: 16 Aug 18 12:34
At completely silly prices I would be happy to have Latrobe on my side.
By:
the bloob
When: 16 Aug 18 13:02
is the price of Latrobe based on likely participation? I agree it looks a massive price, but I fear that is due to the probability of being entered
By:
impossible123
When: 16 Aug 18 13:57
I think Latrobe has two options for York eg Juddmonte or Great Voltigeur, but connections are leaning towards the former, the last I read.

Cracksman's been backed into as short as 5/1 with 'billes' but 9 available here. Maybe it's because Gosden has left him in at today's Confirmation Stage. No significant precipitation forecast though.
By:
deepingfox
When: 16 Aug 18 19:09
Impossible, you're right, they prefer to run Latrobe in the Juddmonte, the last message given by the trainer.

I can see that being the likely outcome, with 5 or 6x the prize money, and the class 10F group one race in the country. He also has a 5lb penalty if running in the group two, Great Voltigeur.

That's why I took the 25/1 on him, before the 5-day decs. Now hoping that plan carries through, and he lines up in the bigger race.
By:
impossible123
When: 18 Aug 18 17:18
Still money for Cracksman who's not a confirmed runner yet. He's into 5/1, or is it a red herring engineered by the bookies to part money from the naive punters? It's good ground at present at York from good/good to soft in places previously, with little precipitation expected between now and next wednesday.
By:
the bloob
When: 18 Aug 18 17:34
Latrobe a big price now on here, possible NR?
By:
impossible123
When: 18 Aug 18 22:59
The prices here are commonly subject to manipulation eg Saxon Warrior and Latrobe (presently); Roaring Lion (just recently). Only Poets Word has been consistently solid throughout. Unless the heavens open (soon) contrary to weather forecast the support for Cracksman would be another example (by bookies perhaps).
By:
Paterson92
When: 18 Aug 18 23:51
Not usually a race I bother too much about but I remember looking forward to the race last year as it was a very strong renewal (Ulysses, Churchill, Barney Roy and Cliffs Of Moher).

Thought I would have a closer look at how the 3 year olds fared against their elders in the last few years in this race:

2017 (7 ran) - Churchill (2nd at 5/2f), Barney Roy (3rd at 11/4), Cliffs Of Moher (4th at 9/2), Shutter Speed (6th at 9/1)
2016 (12 ran) - Hawkbill (8th at 6/1), Wings Of Desire (9th at 8/1)
2015 (7 ran) - Arabian Queen (1st at 50/1), Golden Horn (2nd at 4/9f), Time Test (4th at 4/1)
2014 (6 ran) - Australia (1st at 8/13f), The Grey Gatsby (2nd at 12/1), Arod (5th at 20/1), Kingfisher (6th at 100/1)
2013 (6 ran) - Trading Leather (2nd at 5/1), Hillstar (4th at 12/1), Toronado (6th at 9/4)
2012 (9 ran) - N/A (no 3yo runners)
2011 (5 ran) - N/A (no 3yo runners)
2010 (9 ran) - Dick Turpin (5th at 5/1)
By:
Millerracing67
When: 19 Aug 18 12:43
Laid off the bet on Cracksman (@ 7.0) weather looks fair at York, some light showers 2day, ground Gd g/f in places atm.
I'd doubt he'll run?? Had a few ££ on Roaring Lion @ 3.9, if the ground is g/f I'd fancy him to win it.
By:
Trusty
When: 20 Aug 18 10:52
Cracksman not even declared, Addeyyb and Magical out as well. Nice 8 runner race!
By:
unclepuncle
When: 20 Aug 18 12:59
Just watched the BBC weather forecast on the News Channel and it says rain on Wednesday - surprised Gosden didn’t declare and wait and see.
By:
Figgis
When: 20 Aug 18 13:00
Backed Poet's Word in the KG and if I thought he could show his POW form here he'd be a good thing. On watching the KG live I assumed that Poet's Word had run pretty much near his best and Crystal Ocean was better than I thought, but on analysing the times afterwards the only conclusion I could draw was that PW still won despite running significantly worse than he had in the POW. The extra distance wasn't the excuse as he was already being ridden hard before that became a factor. It may just have been a temporary regression from which he'll recover, but as he'd had a decent break since the POW I wonder if he's already peaked for the year. Even if you take the view that he ran right to form in the KG then there still has to be a big doubt him, that he'll decline after a couple of hard races. Win or not, I'll pass at a similar price to last time where he had much better prospects in my view.

I know that the fancied horses fought out the Eclipse but for me, in spite of a decent pace on the day, the actual form/time of the race is garbage compared to the usual standard, one of the worst I've seen. The Irish Derby was another crap Gp1. Without Parole's best form gives him a good chance and I said at the time of the Sussex that he might have peaked going into the race. It's anybody's guess though if he can recover so quickly, so not one I could back. Of the Godolphin runners I thought Thunder Snow was a better 3yo than Benbatl, at least over distances shorter than 12f. It's difficult to know how good his latest dirt win is, but it appeared he'd improved from 3 to 4 and he's had a good rest since. I see Suroor says he may need the run and they're gearing him for a late season American campaign, but in a race where I don't think any of the more obvious runners go into it primed I'll probably chuck a few quid his way on the day.
By:
unclepuncle
When: 20 Aug 18 13:15
I know you are ‘time’ man but surely Without Parole’s form, even before Goodwood is dire - beat Gabr 3/4l at Sandown and Gustav Klimt 1/2l at Ascot and look what they have done since.Shocked

PW should piss it if he is near 100%.
There is obviously very little between RL and SW so under normal circumstances the 5/1 on SW might be an e/w bet to nothing but given the stable form you would have to be brave (or stupid).Crazy
By:
Figgis
When: 20 Aug 18 13:31
Uncle, I have Without Parole's SJP win equal to SW's substandard Guineas win (SW's Eclipse second was only marginally better than his poor Derby effort). The Sandown win over Gabr was a slowly run affair and concealed WP's real superiority over the field that day. I know Gustav Klimt hasn't done anything for the SJP form since but he ran a career peak that day while running on from the rear off a fast pace. The form book is littered with such performances over the years, which is why I'm reluctant to let one horse hold the form of a race down.
By:
Millerracing67
When: 20 Aug 18 20:06
Poets does bring the best form into the race, so he's entitled to be fav.
Roaring Lion will need to step up again to beat him, "if" he's still at his very best, after a tough KG win.
Couldn't really back an AOB horse in G1s atm?? So even though Saxon look the biz in the 2000gns, he doesn't seem to be progressing since? his Eclipse effort was much better, but I thought Lion beat him a shade comfy.
Without Parole is interesting, esp on fast ground, but I prefer 10f form for this race.
Don't think Benbatl is a G1 horse over here?
& Latrobe looked a Leger horse to win when winning the Ire Derby, I'll be shocked if he's quick enough to win a 10f G1 ??
Roaring Lion did me a turn winning the Eclipse, he looks a 3yo on the up, & looks like he's going to get his fast ground, so I've sided with him.
By:
gpz6316
When: 20 Aug 18 20:48
i think the fact cracksman didnt declare tells you something about the wellbeing of roaring lion . vibes his work was exceptionally good
By:
gpz6316
When: 20 Aug 18 21:14
you could  view cracksmans absence as a sign hes been let down and primed to win the champion stakes . or is he even still at the top level ? form figures this season look great ,but, hes been under performing . i went to the pictures in 1999  and watched a film called  ronin . robert de niro played a ex special agent . how did you know it was a sting ? when there is doubt there is no doubt ! he replied , maybe theirs a opportunity to find a nice price in the champion .
By:
dunlaying
When: 20 Aug 18 21:18
Poets Word for me . Benbatl looks e/w value since Ballydoyle is under a cloud and the Goodwood form of Without Parole has taken some knocks . I have no doubt Without Parole is good but is he as good as some of us thought?
By:
gpz6316
When: 20 Aug 18 21:29
maybe recoletos
By:
impossible123
When: 20 Aug 18 21:40
Whether Cracksman has underperformed or not the jury is still out as he's not been campaigned accordingly so far. For instance, in his 1st race this season on a course he'd not excelled in the past he was also given a harder race by Dettori eg the jockey had Cracksman further back than he ought to thus given a harder race to win against Salouen; the Prince Of Wales Stakes over 10f was 2f shorter than his optimum distance of 12f, and on good to firm ground Cracksman was on a hiding to nothing.

Cracksman might also have met an improved Poets Word who'd won every race this season. The weather had not been kind to him either. Maybe a long overdue compensation in the Champion Stakes at Ascot, but 1st a small race like The Arc (weather permitting) to get out of the way prior.
By:
gpz6316
When: 20 Aug 18 21:52
well i,m gonna be on study of man or enable
By:
gpz6316
When: 20 Aug 18 22:06
anyhow expect the lion to roar imo best of luck
By:
gpz6316
When: 21 Aug 18 21:19
ladbrokes with their ear to the ground are very short on poets word 6/4 . so he has plenty of positivity about him and should run his race .is he good enough to fend off top class 3yo s . i dont think so . each to their own lets go lion !
By:
gpz6316
When: 21 Aug 18 21:23
interestingly ladbrokes dont like aob runners and they should know . i reckon bad luck in running is all that can deny the lion
By:
twonky
When: 21 Aug 18 21:52
Be bat at 12/1 for me
By:
deepingfox
When: 21 Aug 18 23:14
I think that LATROBE is under-rated, it's a really deep race, fantastic to be watching it live, and hope for Latrobe to shock the favs.
Of the favs, I would prefer ROARING LION, and may back him too, as a saver.
By:
Figgis
When: 22 Aug 18 08:31
Had a rethink on this race. Rather than take a shot in the dark about the worth of Thunder Snow's Meydan win, I would rather side with Without Prejudice. I have no idea if he'll return to form but I do know that if he does he's sure to be involved in the finish if Poet's Word is below his best like I think he may be.
By:
Figgis
When: 22 Aug 18 08:32
Duh, I mean Without Parole Crazy
By:
twonky
When: 22 Aug 18 09:07
Every chance that poets will bounce. The kg has a knack of finishing horses over the years and I can see the same thing happening again, plus I get the nagging feeling that he is more effective going right handed.
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com