Forums

Horse Antepost

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Cream Of The Crop
14 May 10 20:04
| Topic/replies: 407 | Blogger: Cream Of The Crop's blog
Well, I personally thought we saw the winner yesterday at York in Elzaam. He travelled very well out in front throughout and then quickened when Fahey's horse drew upsides and then stayed on very well throughout the final furlong under hand riding only to win very easily. It looked a very strong maiden beforehand, with about half the field all apparently well regarded sorts, and the way they finished strung out behind suggests it was a very good performance. Sir Reginald is another who could make it to Ascot if doing what Fahey's runner up, Flying Statesman, did last year and win next time out after a promising debut showing. Tinkertown (sixth) will also improve immeasurably for the outing in the same race, doing well to finish as close as he did after weaving across the track.

Klammer is also one who I like, and he will obviously have to win well tomorrow to book his place in the field at Ascot. Old Master Expert also looked a nice sort on his debut at Ascot last week, green and slightly outpaced when the pace lifted but stuck on well to take second. He could make up into a Coventry sort if winning well next time out. Sikeeb was also impressive at Goodwood when beating a fairly decent field, while Jarvis's other 2yo, Clarke Lane, did well to overhaul the much vaunted Ahtoug on debut at Haydock last weekend, though the runner up could also make the Coventry if winning in convincing fashion next time out. Brittain has also got the impressive Doncaster debut winner Zaidaan in his yard, and the way he was speaking about him both beforehand and afterwards suggests he goes for the Coventry Stakes.

Obviously the Hannon colt Strong Suit's debut win today was impressive, and Hughes always knew he had plenty of horse under him throughout, riding him with a massive amount of confidence throughout. It also looks notable he debuted in the same as 2006 Coventry third Major Cadeaux and last year's winner Canford Cliffs. Temple Meads landed a bit of a touch at Newmarket on Guineas weekend, though the race didn't look a particularly strong renewal IMO, and he could well stay at 5f and go for the Norfolk. Dinkum Diamond was obviously very impressive at Salisbury on Thursday and showed a good amount of pace and a strong turn of foot when asked; however, he looks another who will make up into a Norfolk Stakes horse, given he showed some much speed on debut. The same applies to Retainer, an impressive winner at the Craven meeting from the aforementioned Sikeeb, and the form of that win is working out exceptionally well.

Anyone else got any thoughts at this stage? Have I missed out any other obvious ones?

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 100
By:
Charlton2005
When: 14 May 10 20:09
I see that Zoffany is not entered, so I asume he wouldn't go for this, but I liked thw way he won the other day.
By:
unclepuncle
When: 14 May 10 20:19
I was seriously impressed with Head Space of Jim Bolgers and I'm tempted by the 10/1 with Korals but until he is declared I won't be backing him given the difficulties in predicting Bolgers running plans.

Also couldn't be anything but impressed with Hannons Retainer when he hosed up at HQ back in April.
By:
TD_Gunner
When: 14 May 10 20:40
C2 - Entries aren't out yet. Zoffany is the antepost fav at about 7/2.

Agree with Cream though about Elzaam. Also interested to see where Cape To Rio goes next.
By:
blackbarn
When: 14 May 10 20:48
More to come imo from Elzaam, thought he ran green 1.5 out, looked around, and changed his legs.
By:
Charlton2005
When: 14 May 10 21:01
OK, TY TD. I just looked at the horse's entries on the RP site and that wasn't one of them! Doh! As you can guess I won't be backing at that price though!
By:
jamesp
When: 14 May 10 21:06
The one that's impressed me most so far is Strong Suit: I liked the way the front two pulled six lengths clear of the third, and the time was more than two seconds faster than the other division of the maiden (won by Memen).  He travelled well and showed a very good turn of foot.  He's clearly a very smart colt and I'll be surprised if he doesn't go for the Coventry (stablemate Retainer is surely more likely to go for the Norfolk).  Last year Canford Cliffs was an amazingly generous 16/1 for the Coventry after winning the same maiden in impressive style, and I was hoping for similar odds about Strong Suit, but no such luck - he was introduced as an 8/1 chance, which looks a fair price.
By:
Charlton2005
When: 14 May 10 21:15
Strong Suit it is then...

Happy

GL James
By:
town moor
When: 14 May 10 21:31
I really think Zaidan has a lot of improvement in him, he wasn't the tightest in the pre parade and was green as grass too, I backed him on his breeding more than anything.
By:
downallstar
When: 14 May 10 21:47
Zebedee.
By:
BJG
When: 14 May 10 21:55
I agree with uncle

Head Space very impressive on debut i thought, absolutely smashed clear wen let loose

Lightning Thief second that day beaten by 5l, won at Cork nto easily beating High Award who won a Curragh maiden on debut

The rest of the ones behind have nt done much though, a few have been placed

But overall a very taking debut performance and at 10/1 is a fair price imo
By:
Rowley Mile
When: 14 May 10 22:31
Haven't followed enough two year old racing yet but was  taken with the debut of orientalist who runs in 4;00 at newmarket tomorrow.
By:
rhinestone
When: 15 May 10 07:14
Agree with uncle and BJG, just hoped for a bigger price.

Carol have really bottled it this year after their disaster last year Laugh
By:
Dark Destroyer
When: 15 May 10 09:11
Strong Suit

James speaks, Corals duck  Laugh
By:
redal2
When: 15 May 10 09:29
That's an excellent summary COTC. I agree about Elzaam, he looked something else, and the Fahey horse which was 2nd Sir Reginald must be a shoe in for just about any maiden.
Strong Suit looked very good, the time was fast even though they appeared not to go that quickly in the first 2 furlongs. I still like Retainer form the Hannon yard too.
I do disagree about Temple Meads though. I thought he travelled and quickened impressively in that race and could last 6f the way he travelled though the pedigree is for a 5f horse, so you may well be right.
By:
Augustine
When: 15 May 10 10:11
Strong Suit now cut to 5s.
By:
TD_Gunner
When: 15 May 10 10:16
Hughesy said on The Morning Line that Strong Suit was their Coventry horse, probably reason for cutting him.
By:
rhinestone
When: 15 May 10 10:17
Hughesy confirmed their Cov horse this morning.
By:
rhinestone
When: 15 May 10 10:17
TDBlush
By:
TD_Gunner
When: 15 May 10 10:18
Devil
By:
sandysboy
When: 15 May 10 10:34
Cant remember its name but the Hannon horse which won on the Weds at York will have a good chance in the Coventry
By:
TD_Gunner
When: 15 May 10 10:37
Bahcelli ?
By:
redal2
When: 15 May 10 10:39
Bahceli is bred for further but I wouldn't put it in their best 3 seen so far. All about opinions.
By:
sandysboy
When: 15 May 10 10:41
Thats it thanks Gunner,was at Ponty when it won and you wouldnt believe how much its come on since,in both looks and substance
By:
Augustine
When: 15 May 10 16:40
Strong Suit now 7/2.
By:
redal2
When: 15 May 10 17:03
Hughes said in an interview on RUK that they 'might have found a star'.
I thought Klammer might have a chance but the way that the Hannon horse pushed it and it isn't even in their top five, I'd think, puts a context on the other performers. Elzaam the only one I've seen to threaten it really unless the Hannons run Retainer as well. As I've backed it EW I'm pocket talking though. I added Elzaam at 8s and Strong Suit at 7s last night.
By:
TIROL1982
When: 16 May 10 09:27
The race is already a match between Strong Suit and the O'brien selected!
By:
sageform
When: 16 May 10 10:06
I also like Strong Suit of those seen recently but I was very impressed with the horse that finished second, Neebras by Oasis Dream. Clearly not fancied although he was my pick on pedigree, he started slowly and came with  what looked like a winning run until faltering in the last 100 yards. He may not be as forward as Strong Suit but might prove the better horse by the end of the season. History tells us that many top class horses, including Sea The Stars get beat first time out.
By:
redal2
When: 16 May 10 10:12
Agreed. I had ruled Neebras out as I tend to like a little more stamina in the pedigree at Newbury (like Strong Suit) but he was very good. He'll definitely win something useful this season.
By:
Bangers N Mash
When: 25 May 10 19:34
Anyone know when entries are out?
By:
ben10
When: 25 May 10 19:49
It's a normal entry race so 5 or 6 days before, look on the antepost market rules.
By:
Raheeny
When: 25 May 10 19:57
I was very impressed with Samuel Morse and it sounds like the coventry is the plan. Taken a bit of 10s win and place, O'Brien gone this route with a few of his before and I liked the way he quickened and picked up the one in front after it got first run. Improvement to come for the extra furlong too. Plus it was a pretty good time.
By:
mythical prince
When: 25 May 10 20:05
elzaam snaff
By:
Belmez
When: 31 May 10 21:38
Following feedback on Queen Anne Stakes Thread have bumped this one! 

No entries until 5 day stage - any news please post!
By:
STELLAR MANIPULATOR
When: 31 May 10 22:28
Head Space wont run , pulled a muscle and is off for the mo
By:
ben10
When: 31 May 10 22:42
Ward's speedy Final Mesa Ascot bound.

USA WESLEY WARD, the US trainer who set Royal Ascot alight last year with victories by juveniles Jealous Again and Strike The Tiger, unleashed another flying filly at Keeneland yesterday, writes David Ashforth.

Final Mesa, making her debut in a $50,000 maiden race over 41/2f, shot out of the gate and produced a burst of speed for jockey Robby Albarado to win in highly impressive style by seven and a half lengths in 51.11 seconds, against a head wind.

Ward, who also owns Final Mesa, said: "She is a special filly, the best of the lot. The plan is Royal Ascot. We will be looking at the Queen Mary Stakes  because we had success in the race last year with Jealous Again, but I would like to run her against the colts so will also be looking at the Norfolk and perhaps the Coventry Stakes."
By:
ben10
When: 31 May 10 22:42
http://www.nybreds.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Hoofp009_100515_0240.jpg
By:
ben10
When: 31 May 10 22:43
[url=http://www.nybreds.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Hoofp009_100515_0240.jpg]Test[/url]
By:
ben10
When: 31 May 10 22:44
Lol, google it, looks a powerful sort, be interesting if they did chuck her into this although obviously Queen Mary makes more sense
By:
mythical prince
When: 01 Jun 10 03:11
steroids.
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo