Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
nothinbutthetruth
02 Jan 17 18:05
| Topic/replies: 79 | Blogger: nothinbutthetruth's blog
obviously, the premise behind the 3 dart average is fairly simple, but is it really a 3 dart average? if I play a leg of darts and hit 140, 140, 140 and finish 81 in two darts would I get the same average if I did a leg in 140, 140, 140 and then took out 81 in three darts? TIA
Pause Switch to Standard View How are averages calculated?
Show More
Report wisewords January 2, 2017 7:07 PM GMT
Nope, you'd get a lower average if you checked out the 81 in 3 darts rather than 2.
Report Angoose January 2, 2017 7:09 PM GMT
No.

Total points scored divided by total number of darts thrown multiplied by three.
136.6 and 125.3 in your example.
Report nothinbutthetruth January 2, 2017 7:11 PM GMT
Thanks for that, so like I suggested in the opening topic, rather than it being a 3 dart average (or visit average) its actually a one dart average multiplied by 3
Report s.kenbo January 2, 2017 7:15 PM GMT
Splitting hairs imo.
Report nothinbutthetruth January 2, 2017 7:27 PM GMT
over the amount of legs/sets that they play then i'd probably agree, I just think that the terminology of '3 dart average' is misleading. if someone comes to the bad with three darts in there hand wanting 10 and they hit double 12 and bust with the first dart they've only threw one but wasted three
Report Angoose January 2, 2017 7:31 PM GMT
All it is looking to do is to provide a rudimentary comparison measure for the benefit of tv, can't remember them talking about three dart averages when Jocky ruled the world.
Report s.kenbo January 2, 2017 7:31 PM GMT
Very true.

If they come to the board with three darts in hand needing tops, and they get it first dart, that would theoretically average them 120 too.
Report s.kenbo January 2, 2017 7:32 PM GMT
The first nine dart average seemed to get used quite a lot back then, didn't it?
Report nothinbutthetruth January 2, 2017 7:40 PM GMT
a bit too young to remember the days of jockey Wilson, my first wold championship final viewing was taylor v manley. then a few years later I had £23 on whitlock at 120 and thought I was a genius. the 9 dart average that you refer to would be like a scoring average then I suppose
Report s.kenbo January 2, 2017 7:47 PM GMT
From what I remember, they showed the overall average, plus their first nine dart average too. I suppose it was to make the scoring look even better.
Report nothinbutthetruth January 2, 2017 8:10 PM GMT
thanks for the help, enjoy the final!
Report wisewords January 2, 2017 8:11 PM GMT

Jan 2, 2017 -- 1:27PM, nothinbutthetruth wrote:

over the amount of legs/sets that they play then i'd probably agree, I just think that the terminology of '3 dart average' is misleading. if someone comes to the bad with three darts in there hand wanting 10 and they hit double 12 and bust with the first dart they've only threw one but wasted three

if they bust with their 1st dart, it's still counted as 3 darts thrown for the average as far as I know.

Report wondersobright January 2, 2017 8:19 PM GMT
correct ww
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com