Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
differentdrum
27 Feb 21 18:53
| Topic/replies: 12,986 | Blogger: differentdrum's blog
Why would anyone run a Grade 1 horse in a handicap rather than a Grade 1 race?
Pause Switch to Standard View Shortening Of Quilixios For Boodles -...
Show More
Report sageform February 27, 2021 8:01 PM GMT
Because he is the third best at Elliott's?
Report impossible123 February 27, 2021 9:29 PM GMT
Unless I've missed news about Duffle Coat the interest in Quilixious could be good news for backers of Duffle Coat, but not backed by market. Or Elliot has confidence in Zanahiyr doing the business.
Report strontium February 27, 2021 9:43 PM GMT
It's strange. The Triumph (new course, likely to be a proper stamina test) should suit Quilixios well.
Report impossible123 February 27, 2021 10:34 PM GMT
What's this about someone impersonating Elliot on social media being investigated by IRHB? Has the person been spouting unauthorised rumours about his runners at Cheltenham eg Zanayiyr running in the Supreme a few weeks ago? And, today the drift in Quilixios in the Triumph? If so, just mischief.
Report Andymca February 27, 2021 10:40 PM GMT
Elliott must have a lot of confidence in Zanahiyr, so why win one race, when you can two
Report Quevega06 February 27, 2021 10:42 PM GMT
Is the ceiling for Fred Winter 145? Surely he won't get in if so...
Report Quevega06 February 27, 2021 10:42 PM GMT
Sorry Bootles
Report Bentring February 27, 2021 11:32 PM GMT
Is there 1
Report irishone February 28, 2021 7:55 AM GMT
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9308249/amp/Gordon-Elliot-investigation-image-sat-dead-horse-surfaces.html?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR19BUjuFIuw9dyBTuCCFaq2ORVQhJkOV48rU9KKryUMOdh6gJaRwZY5kxw

Absolutely fake news !
Report irishone February 28, 2021 7:56 AM GMT
Gordon has more brains that impossible could ever imagine
Report buddeliea February 28, 2021 8:25 AM GMT
Q looks to be heading to the Boodles.
Would make sense, they dont want em all smashed by Tritonic.
Report Quevega06 February 28, 2021 8:39 AM GMT
Don't think so Benring,  was doubting myself as I can't remember seeing one ever so high in it
Report Quevega06 February 28, 2021 8:42 AM GMT
Budd it'll take a goodun to beat Zanahyir, that was a piss poor Grade 2 yesterday
Report buddeliea February 28, 2021 9:38 AM GMT
Laugh yeah I know , but I was visually very impressed with that yesterday, we shall see whose best in March
Report irishone February 28, 2021 9:43 AM GMT
How else could you be impressed budd ?

Taste ? Feel ?
Report buddeliea February 28, 2021 9:56 AM GMT
Laugh well I could have been not impressed
Report Quevega06 February 28, 2021 10:07 AM GMT
Yeah it wasn't bad imo either but clearly an over reaction in the market.. He beat 125 rated horses just as easy as Teahpoo did as well..
Report Cash Is King February 28, 2021 10:15 AM GMT
Very much agree with the OP. Elliott can have no way of knowing which of his exciting juveniles is most likely to win the Triumph unless or until they’re given the opportunity to race against each other.

Quilixios is a proven Grade 1 performer who should be well suited to the demands of the New Course. I’d be amazed if he doesn’t run in the race.
Report Quevega06 February 28, 2021 10:18 AM GMT
I'm on Quilixous and hope you are right.. Regardless if they have a claimer on the Fred Winter or not that would be some performance from a potential rating of around 147.. Also why would you avoid a Grade one for a handicap,  understand you want to keep your horses apart but he could still win the Fred(Bootles) with Teaphoo or Riverie dtele
Report strontium February 28, 2021 10:58 AM GMT
Might there be some owner politics going on? Wanting his big new owners to win a Festival Grade 1?
Report Quevega06 February 28, 2021 11:07 AM GMT
Could well be Strontium, as after the race at Ltown few weeks back thought it was really strange of Elliott and Barry coming out and basically saying Zanahyr is better
Report Quevega06 February 28, 2021 11:08 AM GMT
Normally they would be less vocal on the matter concerning horses within the yard
Report irishone February 28, 2021 6:56 PM GMT
Gordons apologised
Photo four years old
Fake news
Who fecking cares?
Report cobra sam March 1, 2021 4:44 AM GMT
yeah hes phone rang so he sat on the dead horse...as u would of course
Report sageform March 1, 2021 10:26 AM GMT
At least he didn't flog it.
Report Andymca March 7, 2021 8:53 PM GMT
Quilixious out to 16s for this now, must be going for the Triumph instead
Report differentdrum March 8, 2021 10:59 PM GMT
https://www.attheraces.com/news/2021/March/08/quilixios-camp-yet-to-decide-between-boodles-and-triumph

If he ends up in the Boodles I don't think I can recall too many more ridiculous decisions in Festival history.

Irrespective of him being much less suited to a cavalry charge on a quicker track (the exact opposite of what they are saying), you just don't run Grade 1 winners in ordinary handicaps out of choice. Until Tritonic appeared he was second favourite for the Triumph.

Of course bookmakers will be laughing as people will be on at big prices for the Triumph, but they were able to put him in much shorter for the Boodles.
Report sageform March 9, 2021 12:50 PM GMT
The only one of the Elliott 4yos not entered for the Boodles is Duffle Coat who I still rate the best of them. He beat Adagio and Cabot Cliffs giving weight at Cheltenham back in November on decent ground and is the going why he has not run since? If that form was run today with Adagio now rated 146, Duffle Coat would get 156 which would win most Triumphs. Goshen was given an RPR of 156 after last years race on the basis of what he might have done had he not fallen.
Report impossible123 March 9, 2021 1:03 PM GMT
It would be a strange decision if Quilixios ends up in The Boodles. He'd be shouldering top weight of 11s 8oz, if so. Would it not be better to skip Cheltenham altogether if connections are not keen of The Triumph race?

Surely, connections are not afraid of Zanagiyr and Forster (Elliot).
Report strontium March 9, 2021 1:18 PM GMT
I agree Impossible - if he's going to run at Cheltenham, may as well run in the Triumph rather than lump top weight in a 20-runner handicap. If they think the Triumph might be bad for the horse long-term (as Paul Nicholls often does), wouldn't it be better to skip the Festival altogether?
Report differentdrum March 9, 2021 1:24 PM GMT
If is a problem with the Triumph as a race then why has it taken so long to say anything? Why even enter? None of this adds up. As usual we will be only ones discussing it.
Report sageform March 9, 2021 1:29 PM GMT
Zanahiyr is also still in the Boodles with top weight. Hell Red would be my tentative choice if he runs.
Report differentdrum March 9, 2021 2:49 PM GMT
I lost two bets on Hell Red for the Triumph. He was the early favourite after the Chepstow win, but he hasn't looked the same horse since. Very disappointing short priced loser last time when Frost spent most of the race trying to get him settled.
Report impossible123 March 9, 2021 2:52 PM GMT
I think Elliot was adamant Zanahiyr was Triumph bound unless new management have decided otherwise since.
Report duffy March 9, 2021 3:07 PM GMT
new managementLaugh
Report impossible123 March 9, 2021 3:34 PM GMT
I cannot really refer to incumbent as "monkey" given the issue that precipitated a regime change.
Report sageform March 9, 2021 6:56 PM GMT
The Triumph would seem to be the target for Zanahiyr but so it was for Quixilios? Just pointing out that they are all in the Boodles including Teahupoo and Youmdor.
Report Andymca March 9, 2021 8:47 PM GMT
Quilixous out to 16s on here again
Report differentdrum March 9, 2021 9:04 PM GMT
De Bromhead says he will run in the Triumph. Mad not to.
Report impossible123 March 9, 2021 10:08 PM GMT
If so, correct decision. For a minute I thought it could be info from the Sporting Life preview on Facebook.
Report Cash Is King March 9, 2021 11:12 PM GMT
Extraordinary that it took so long for running plans to become transparent. The Grade 1 winning Quilixios has earned the right to compete in the Grade 1 Triumph. Might not win but he goes into the race with a leading chance.

The mind boggles if the Fred Winter was ever a serious consideration.
Report Ramruma March 9, 2021 11:24 PM GMT
The Boodles theory was based on:-
1) Elliott barn had Zanahiyr nailed on for the Triumph
2) Boodles is more likely to have cut in the ground

Anyway, it's academic after the transfer to HdB.
Report Cash Is King March 9, 2021 11:30 PM GMT
No such thing as a nailed on certainty at the Festival. Just ask backers of Goshen in last year's race.

Zanahiyr and Quilixios are rated within 2lbs of each other and the New Course would appear to favour the latter over the former.
Report strontium March 10, 2021 9:39 AM GMT
Agree entirely Cash. I just hope the change of stable & routine won't have blunted Quilixios.
Report sageform March 10, 2021 12:06 PM GMT
Why is everyone still ignoring Duffle Coat? Is he a doubtful runner for the Triumph? Course winner, dismissed the best UK 4yo hurdler giving him weight and proven on good/soft.
Report strontium March 10, 2021 12:10 PM GMT
The issue for me Sage is that Elliott usually sends his third or fourth best juvenile to that Cheltenham meeting as a sighter, to see where he stands relative to the British horses. If they thought Duffle was one of their best he'd have run at Leopardstown at Christmas/February.
Report sageform March 10, 2021 12:30 PM GMT
Not if they think he needs good ground. Ireland has been soft or heavy since December. I will wait for the overnights but if Duffle Coat runs, he is my choice.
Report strontium March 10, 2021 12:51 PM GMT
Quixilios taken out of the Boodles at the 6-day stage.
Report Andymca March 10, 2021 1:28 PM GMT
No surprise there
Report Cash Is King March 19, 2021 1:44 PM GMT
As posted previously, Zanahiyr and Quilixios rated within a couple of lbs of each other and anything can happen in a horse race as supporters of Envoi Allen discovered to their cost in the Marsh.

Quilixios won the Triumph well. Nothing flukey about that performance.
Report sageform March 19, 2021 2:04 PM GMT
Adagio has always looked miles ahead of the rest of the English but he had no answer to Quilixios. Don't forget that Duffle Coat also beat Adagio giving him 3lb though. I don't know why Duffle Coat has not run since, must have a problem.
Report strontium March 19, 2021 2:19 PM GMT
Actually, Monmiral looks miles ahead of the rest of the English.
Report impossible123 March 19, 2021 2:25 PM GMT
Blackmore rode another beautiful race. Adagio ran as well as he could, but Quilixios is a better horse; Zanahiyr clearly underperformed. Punchestown beckons.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com