Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
jockeyhunter
05 Jan 15 16:51
| Topic/replies: 1,375 | Blogger: jockeyhunter's blog
What are people opinions? after all the stallions success in Australia then the hype here, i have not been overly impressed with how the stallion has done in Europe.
i presume the horse has covered a full book of mares.
Anyone have a theory why its not worked?
Show More
Report Wilycayote January 5, 2015 5:45 PM GMT
I am a big admirer of Coolmore and they rarely get it wrong, but they have used an undoubtedly brilliant stallion in completely the wrong way. Over 80% of his first 3 books of mares have been mares from the Saddlers Wells line. If you go through the return of mares the vast majority are by Saddlers Wells, Montjeu, Galileo with the odd other "Derby distance" broodmare sire thrown in.

They might be lovely mares but it is not the way to breed speed horses. Fastnet Rock has bred 18 Gr 1 winners from 5.5 crops in AUS, having been mated with predominantly speedy mares of which he has get very few in IRE.

Also, people think/thought they would be 2yo's and tried to get stuck into them early which did not help. Believe it or not, the Aussies are far more patient with their Fastnet Rocks, most of them don't even run at 2.

Once they stop trying to fit a square peg into a round whole he will be a serious stallion in both hemispheres. 9% stakes winners to runners when he's not being used to his best is a fair effort!
Report The Gotchee January 5, 2015 6:55 PM GMT
I am not a great admirer of Coolmore so to put things into perspective, Fastnet Rock covered 150 mares in the N.Hemisphere in 2011.
He had 9 winners from 35 runners (6%) in 2014
5 stakes winners (3%)
Winning prize money of £105,000.

His fee at that time was believed to be €60,000.00 and at that price he had to be getting good mares.

IMHO, he is poor value and has got an awful lot to prove in these parts.
He may still turn the corner because he covered 183, 193 and 85 in his last three crops, although 85 seems to be a small crop in 2014.
Report jockeyhunter January 5, 2015 11:09 PM GMT
35 runners in 2014 seems fairly low to me, may covering only 85 in 2014 means coolmore might be giving up on the stallion proving itself in the NH.
thanks for the interesting input.
Report brain dead jockeys January 16, 2015 11:56 PM GMT
the northern hemisphere experiment has failed.
Report jmc27 January 25, 2015 3:41 PM GMT
Wilycayote 05 Jan 15 17:45 Joined: 31 Dec 10 | Topic/replies: 272 | Blogger: Wilycayote's blog
I am a big admirer of Coolmore and they rarely get it wrong, but they have used an undoubtedly brilliant stallion in completely the wrong way. Over 80% of his first 3 books of mares have been mares from the Saddlers Wells line. If you go through the return of mares the vast majority are by Saddlers Wells, Montjeu, Galileo with the odd other "Derby distance" broodmare sire thrown in.

They might be lovely mares but it is not the way to breed speed horses. Fastnet Rock has bred 18 Gr 1 winners from 5.5 crops in AUS, having been mated with predominantly speedy mares of which he has get very few in IRE.

Also, people think/thought they would be 2yo's and tried to get stuck into them early which did not help. Believe it or not, the Aussies are far more patient with their Fastnet Rocks, most of them don't even run at 2.

Once they stop trying to fit a square peg into a round whole he will be a serious stallion in both hemispheres. 9% stakes winners to runners when he's not being used to his best is a fair effort!

Havnt been on here in a while so didnt get to say great post! You have head the nail on the head perfectly.
Had a chat with a prominent fella from the operation last month and put these points to him, he was fairly blunt and was pretty much in agreement.
Report potentialmillionaire January 26, 2015 1:30 PM GMT
No sign of him in Tipperary last week. Methinks he must have been late for the plane. . . .
Report jockeyhunter June 7, 2015 5:14 PM BST
Maybe coolmore need to ask Aiden which mares are best to mate Fastnet with.
Report Wilycayote June 28, 2015 5:48 PM BST
A second European Gr 1 for Fastnet Rock this month, that is no small feat.

I was also very impressed by Cougar Mountain's close placing in the Queen Anne, hope he runs in the Eclipse.
Report sageform June 29, 2015 1:24 PM BST
He seems to have inherited the Danehill trait of being able to produce top class middle distance horses despite being known as a sprinter.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan June 29, 2015 8:59 PM BST
Put Lieutenant General in the notebook.
Report Wilycayote August 13, 2015 10:45 PM BST
80 individual stakes winners. That's fairly astonishing for a 14yo stallion which ever way you cut it.
Report zygote August 24, 2015 10:38 PM BST
Coolmore have got themselves onto the horns of a dilemma, one which is entirely of their own making. Their total obsession with the Northern Dancer line has been very successful commercially, and with Sadlers Wells and now Galileo they have had two of the greatest stallions in the last 100 years. However, they have a SURFEIT of mares by Sadlers Wells, Galileo, and Montjeu. Which stallions can they send these mares to? The demise of Danehill, and the lack of a natural successor, leaves them in a bind. They have been using Dansili and Oasis Dream quite a lot, and they clearly hoped that Fastnet Rock would deliver for them. But FR's apparent failure leaves them without a top-class cross of their own for most of their mares. Their recent investments in War Front, a son of Danzig, are driven by this. But of course he is across the water. They also cannot use Dubawi or Shamardal, as they are owned by their deadly rivals. It seems to me that Coolmore desperately need a top stallion to outcross. The degree of inbreeding to Northern Dancer is already a worrying issue, for which Coolmore are largely responsible. They probably should have bought Novellist, who as a son of Monsun would have given them the outcross they so clearly need.
Report Wilycayote September 11, 2016 9:05 PM BST
Zhukova, Rivet, Intricately. Gr3, Gr2, Gr1,  7f - 1m4f

not a bad weekend
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com