Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mesmerised
03 Jul 21 00:57
Joined:
Date Joined: 10 Nov 10
| Topic/replies: 29,785 | Blogger: mesmerised's blog
probably the only British female wildcard  I've seen over the years who looks like she isn't a complete waste of time and money, is also on the verge on being the first WC from here to reach round 4 at Wimbledon since 98. Heard of many hyped up young flavour of the month Brits in my time but am always left nonplussed when I see them play,  however, Raducanu looks different, she's actually very very good (apart from the Novak-esque overheads), ticks a lot of boxes with a high tennis IQ, very good serve, understands court positioning very well, good anticipations, forehands as sweet as a Brazil nut, moves fluidly, very speedy around court and looks mentally aggressive at all times which goes a long way in tennis, you'd think that was par for the course but many players lack the basics, see Watson, doesn't take much to make her wilt. Wouldn't put it past Emma to beat Sorana but she's on court 1, the biggest stage she's ever played on, one caveat at present is Sears said she froze against Dart on centre court in Nottingham and v Swatek on court 2 at Junior Wimbledon so maybe worth a lay if that's the case at this point in time or for the first set at least, got a bit anxious v Vondrousova as well hitting a some df's......but once she shakes of the big stage nerves, she's definitely got the game and mindset to go all the way, and she's English Cool
Pause Switch to Standard View Emma Raducanu 18
Show More
Loading...
Report SontaranStratagem September 10, 2021 12:41 AM BST
Yeah that stadium is beautiful, as is Australias to be fair

Roland Garros is ugly by comparison and Wimbledon is bland
Report alun2005 September 10, 2021 4:44 AM BST
Fantastic effort from young Emma. Into the US Open Final in her teens without dropping a set.
Report Facts September 10, 2021 4:50 AM BST
Just brilliant !!!
Report Wesdag September 10, 2021 4:57 AM BST
As I've said before, this girl is the real deal.

Mentally she is ice cool.
Report sageform September 10, 2021 8:06 AM BST
I have not had any bets on the tennis and regret not being able to watch it but I was right when I said that the 2 teenagers might well dominate this tournament and many to come. The rest of them are all Group 3 standard in racing terms and women's tennis has been waiting for someone to replace Serena. Halep, Barty, Swiatek etc.are all good players but not champions. Not sure which of these two is the best as I have never really watched them play apart from Wimbledon. Injuries can intervene of course but if they stay fit they can only improve.
Report windsor knot September 10, 2021 11:22 AM BST
according to skybet the two players have never met before ......not so, emma beat her at  2018 junior wimbledon 2nd round . went on to be beaten in the final by swiatek.
Report lurka September 10, 2021 11:43 AM BST
They have never met at senior level. Swiatek beat her in the QF not the F.

Sageform Halep Barty and Swiatek are all grand slam champions. You are getting carried away and suggested Raducanu was dominating women's tennis before she had beaten a top 20 player. I wouldn't say Fernandez has been 'dominant' at all. She was close to defeat in all of her last 4 matches and it was as much down to her opponents being passive or choking as it was how she has played.

Both players are playing without fear and pressure and meeting these players for the first time. It won't be as easy when there is pressure and expectation on their shoulders and the rest are used to their game. Raducanu looks to have a lot more potential than Fernandez to me.
Report lurka September 10, 2021 11:44 AM BST
People were saying the same things about Osaka, Andreescu and Swiatek after they won their first majors, not after they won a QF or SF, and they were wrong.
Report wisewords September 10, 2021 3:40 PM BST
Someone insanely talented, strong willed and hard-working needs to come along to dominate women's tennis. I can't see it happening for a while yet. Just random winners followed by a few less random winners followed by more random young winners!
Report SontaranStratagem September 10, 2021 4:13 PM BST
Leylah has had the more impressive run to the final though in my opinion

The number 2, 3, 5 and 16 seeds beaten by Fernandez

Raducanu hasn't beaten a top 10 seed en route
Report SontaranStratagem September 10, 2021 4:14 PM BST
Osaka will be back as well, just needs to get her head back in the game
Report mesmerised September 10, 2021 4:40 PM BST
One of the advantages Fernandez has apart from being the new kid of the block who’s game is not that well known, same as Raducanu, is that she’s a lefty. You hardly play lefties during the season as there’s only 8 of them in the top 100 atm, you’ll play a long succession of matches against right handed players and all of a sudden you have to change your thinking patterns and tactics for a left hander, even for lefties playing lefties it’s difficult because then they have to change as well as they’re used to playing righties, I remember Muller driving Nadal to drink at Wimbledon 4 or 5 years ago with these incessant big side spin serves to his forehand in the ad serving box when he’s more used to returning serves to the T with his back hand there, though in general easier for Nadal to deal with them as there’s almost twice as many lefties in the top 100 than in the WTA. The other issue is that it’s also difficult to find left handed players to practice returning serves with because there are so few of them.

Looking at her opponents before she played them, Sabalenka had only played 2 lefties this year and 55 right handed players, Svitolina 7 v lefties and 46 v Right (lost her last 3 v lefties, now 4), Kerber 31R v 7L (she’s left), Osaka 19 right, 4 left (had lost v 2 of them now 3 from 5) , Kanepi 25 v right, 2 v left and Konjuh 53 v right, 3 v left.   

Raducanu’s played 21 right handed players at all levels in 2021 and 6 lefties, she beat all 6 of them including Vondrousov,, contrast that to to Fernandez who’s played 37 matches v right handed players in 2021 and only 4 v lefties, when you add that to the relatively quick feet she has you can see why her opponents were made to feel uncomfortable making UE’s they shouldn’t, or forced unforced errors, like Svitolina’s backhand breaking down trying to deal with the cross court forehands that come with speed greater than the double backhands she’s used to.

This stuff interests me because I think it counts, it’s a small advantage for Fernandez still even if she’s had some help with players like Sabalenka beating herself going from hitting 9 winners/0 UE to lead 3-0 to making double faults and missing simple overheads

Emma has the fitness edge, even though she’s played 3 more matches having come through qualifying she’s played 33 games less.

The quality of Fernandez’a opponents have been higher than Raducanu’s but the quality of Raducanu’s play has been higher, I think she’s going to win, assuming she doesn’t melt which based on last night, she wont.

Also, make no mistake about it, if every player on tour played to their absolute best, then Halep is the best all round player when fit and Osaka is the most naturally gifted player and by far and away the best on hard courts, Andreescu should be world number 1 at some point and should have been already if not for injuries and lockdowns, they are 3 biggest talents. Whoever wins this slam is unlikely to win the next because that's just the way the WTA rolls, there's nobody who can dominate at the minute either because of injuries, mental problems (Naomi) or not being the level of a Serena, Graf or Henin. The grind of the tour will hit both Raducanu and Fernandez eventually and only then will you know their true level, you often get quick rises before plateauing or even regressing such as Bouchard, Ivanovic, Jankovic, Penko, Stephens or fluctuators like Kuznetsova, but Emma easily has the ability to be top 10 consistently whatever happens on Saturday night. The only down side is that the LTA and their 6 figure salary chiefs will probably hide behind her success to cover up all the dross they're produced over the years despite LTA being one of the wealthiest tennis organisations in the world, good luck EmmaCool
Report Wesdag September 10, 2021 4:58 PM BST
Good write up.

Probably the reason Rafa plays left-handed although naturally right-handed.
Report Giuseppe September 10, 2021 5:13 PM BST
there’s almost twice as many lefties in the top 100 than in the WTA

is this because of right handed male players choosing to play left handed?
Report lurka September 10, 2021 5:14 PM BST
Kerber is naturally right handed too
Report lurka September 10, 2021 5:37 PM BST
Fernandez now 27 in the live rankings. Radu 32.

Will be 19 and 21 whoever wins the final. More or less level with Gauff and Andreescu.

Raducanu hasn't even played a match on clay. Not sure she did at Junior level either. Bit premature to be talking about her dominating.
Report Wesdag September 10, 2021 5:49 PM BST
Can't really see playing on clay making much difference tbf.

All the other names (except Osaka) seem to act on it.

Grass is the surface that most struggle on.
Report lurka September 10, 2021 5:58 PM BST
That's because they've played on it as juniors. Osaka didn't play juniors. Most people struggle on grass because they don't play on it very often. Same with clay for Raducanu if she hasn't played on it.
Report Wesdag September 10, 2021 6:05 PM BST
I'm sure she'll adapt but we'll find out soon enough.
Report SontaranStratagem September 10, 2021 7:00 PM BST
Clay is like the fibresand at Southwell, a specialist surface in my opinion

I actually like watching clay matches, who remembers Guilermo Coria? the one touted to dominate clay before Nadal turned up
Report SontaranStratagem September 10, 2021 7:01 PM BST
Hewitt and Roddick suffered a similar fate on the other surfaces when Fed and later Djock turned up
Report windsor knot September 10, 2021 7:29 PM BST
mesmerised 15.40 post . excellent .
Report SontaranStratagem September 10, 2021 8:37 PM BST
Yeah that post was very good Cool

Insightful Happy
Report Giuseppe September 10, 2021 8:39 PM BST
in the men's game, clay generally poses more of a problem for players who are not used to it. you can see this by the list of winners of roland garros and wimbledon. RG was (before Nadal) often won by players who wouldn;t win on hard courts or grass.

in the women's game the different surfaces have less significance because they don;t hit the ball as hard. so the different raections of the ball on teh different surfaces are not as pronounced.
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! September 11, 2021 10:17 AM BST
Final now live on C4
yeha

Grin
Report tornado September 11, 2021 11:14 AM BST
I think the bookmakers have got this wrong by making Emma big favourite @ 8/15, Leylah on the other hand has beaten 4 top players Osaka, Kerber, Svitolina, Sabalenka. Question is why is Emma big odds on???

This match should have been 5/6 each. Here they go to the finals of a grand slam for their first time, nerves will be there. I put my money on Leylah Fernandez worth losing then backing a wild card Emma. But may they best girl win.
Report lurka September 11, 2021 11:31 AM BST
Because patriotic money
Report mesmerised September 11, 2021 12:06 PM BST
bookmakers are not deciding the current or starting odds per se are they, money in Asian, Australian, European and American markets that we can't bet on but overseas punters can, have the the same or similar odds to your local bookie, she is the better player
Report lurka September 11, 2021 4:29 PM BST
I wasn't talking about sp. I was talking about the lowering of Radu's price on BF and it will prob go lower before the off. It's the same when England play a big match. Happens every time.
Report Wesdag September 11, 2021 5:39 PM BST
We'll see but I doubt Emma will beat herself like Svitolina & Sababot did.

Osaka talks tooooo much about her mental health which gives anyone who plays her belief.
Report SamuelMertensBertens September 11, 2021 7:05 PM BST

Sep 11, 2021 -- 11:14AM, tornado wrote:


I think the bookmakers have got this wrong by making Emma big favourite @ 8/15, Leylah on the other hand has beaten 4 top players Osaka, Kerber, Svitolina, Sabalenka. Question is why is Emma big odds on??? This match should have been 5/6 each. Here they go to the finals of a grand slam for their first time, nerves will be there. I put my money on Leylah Fernandez worth losing then backing a wild card Emma. But may they best girl win.


aye. mug odds on Emma.

Report Platini September 11, 2021 7:34 PM BST
I've gone for both of them to be broken in their first game. 6/1 seems value.
Report mesmerised September 11, 2021 7:41 PM BST
my post was to tornado.

this is on channel 4 apparently, have not see council telly in years, is Neighbours and home and away still going ?

Come on EmmaGOAT!
Report Platini September 11, 2021 9:45 PM BST
I feel robbed. Breaks of serve in games 2 and 3.

So close, but no cigar Cry
Report TOP3MAN September 11, 2021 10:20 PM BST
She is ice cold as they come..... clearly she is the superior player in this final power side, very level on skill, but couple that in with her coolness in her blood, She really is something!!
Report impossible123 September 11, 2021 11:12 PM BST
100% BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2021
Report casemoney September 11, 2021 11:16 PM BST
Great call and write up by OP  HappyHope you were on This time
Report moisok September 11, 2021 11:31 PM BST
what a miserable attempt to steal Radicanu's thunder with the biased interviewer and crowd  - pathetic - they say patriotism is the cloak for cowards to hide under
Report Wesdag September 11, 2021 11:38 PM BST

Sep 4, 2021 -- 9:26PM, Wesdag wrote:


Looks the real deal imo.Very easy to lose focus after the 1st set bagel but no, kept the pressure on & unlucky not to get a double.And to think, Heather Watson is 0-10 at USO.


Cool

Report Wesdag September 11, 2021 11:40 PM BST
Predicted Emma 3 & 2  but can scarcely believe it.
Report SontaranStratagem September 11, 2021 11:57 PM BST
She proved a lot of people wrong me included Cry
Report SontaranStratagem September 11, 2021 11:57 PM BST
Can't deny it, she deserved that after those performances
Report windsor knot September 12, 2021 12:01 AM BST
emma sussed a certain mood , so in the post match interview she showed why she will be the multi millionaire 20 y old . handled it very , very well . a lot of much older politicians could learn from her .
Report Giuseppe September 12, 2021 2:13 AM BST
did anyone ask her about her yellow cap?

yellow cap, blue and red dress: Romanian flag?
Report FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK September 12, 2021 8:36 AM BST
Question to the pro tennis lovers

Is she a unbelievable talent ie tiger woods

Or the woman’s game at rock bottom any **** could turn up ??
Report porter September 12, 2021 9:32 AM BST
what price was emma with bookies
Report SamuelMertensBertens September 12, 2021 11:21 AM BST

Sep 12, 2021 -- 2:13AM, Giuseppe wrote:


did anyone ask her about her yellow cap?yellow cap, blue and red dress: Romanian flag?


no-one asked, but we all saw her love for Romania.

Report lurka September 12, 2021 12:40 PM BST
She mentioned her outfit in one of her earlier pressers. It's one of the the standard Nike outfits worn by a few players and she said she liked the red. Svitolina and Sabalenka also wore it. There was a yellow variation worn by Bencic and a Green one worn by Sloane. I think she just preferred the red one.
Report lurka September 12, 2021 12:43 PM BST
red and yellow could also be China btw. Red and Blue Britain. She seems very in touch with her roots and can speak some Mandarin and Romanian. Her two fav players are Li Na and Halep, Chinese and Romanian.
Report mrspock September 12, 2021 12:49 PM BST
^^
Having some pride in your parental heritage is no bad thing in my book: modern societies these days have mixing across borders quite a bit-get used to it.
She's been brought up in London and trained in Bromley,unlike Murrey et al who spend most of their year abroad
Report Wesdag September 12, 2021 1:15 PM BST
Mes,

well done for spotting this talent before the bandwagon started to roll.
Report Giuseppe September 12, 2021 4:29 PM BST
spock are you suggesting emma is more british than andy because he trained in spain?
Report Giuseppe September 12, 2021 4:30 PM BST
the dress may have been standard nike issue but she chose the hat

i notice she wore an england football shirt during one of the wimbledon press conferences too (i think england were playing that night)

it may have been sincere but i've never seen a player do that before
Report Giuseppe September 12, 2021 4:31 PM BST
she's more british than jo konta that's for sure
Report Giuseppe September 12, 2021 4:32 PM BST
who else is she going to play for?

she's not going to pick canada, probably has memory of the place and no family links either
Report Giuseppe September 12, 2021 4:33 PM BST
if she was really cynical and motivated by money i suppose she could have picked China
Report mrspock September 12, 2021 9:38 PM BST
Giuseppe:
did anyone ask her about her yellow cap?

yellow cap, blue and red dress: Romanian flag?"

Isn't this a bit xenophobic?
Report Giuseppe September 12, 2021 9:48 PM BST
not if you're romanian
Report dr . atkins September 13, 2021 2:58 PM BST
fair play for the op putting her up in july
Report BULLET TOOTH TONY September 13, 2021 10:34 PM BST

Sep 12, 2021 -- 12:01AM, windsor knot wrote:


emma sussed a certain mood , so in the post match interview she showed why she will be the multi millionaire 20 y old . handled it very , very well . a lot of much older politicians could learn from her .


Multimillionaire - She could be a billonaire by time she is 20 yr old if she is advised correctly and puts her name to the right product.

Report Giuseppe September 13, 2021 10:39 PM BST
"emma sussed a certain mood , so in the post match interview she showed why she will be the multi millionaire 20 y old . handled it very , very well . a lot of much older politicians could learn from her . "

can you explain what you mean by this? i didn't see the interview
Report mesmerised September 13, 2021 11:00 PM BST
Wes, Casemoney, Dr, thanks...on to Australia Cool
Report sageform September 14, 2021 8:50 AM BST
Guiseppe, if you have not watched her interviews, try to. She is mature beyond her years, brilliant at the gentle but polite put down of every daft question coming from journalists, articulate, confident, and that is before you start talking about tennis. One idiot who had asked her what her favourite treat was after the first week asked her again. Emma's response. "Favourites don't change in a week, chocolate, chocolate and chocolate".
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! September 14, 2021 4:29 PM BST
I see her instagram account shows
London#
Canada
Bucharest and
CHINA

Should have a DNA test just to see if her coverage could include
AFRICA

tHEN SHE VIRTUALLY COVER THE WORLD
Grin
Report Giuseppe September 14, 2021 4:41 PM BST
what about latin america
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! September 14, 2021 5:00 PM BST
Pele got that
COVERED
Currently

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report Journeyman December 19, 2021 10:23 PM GMT
Well done to Emma winning Sports personality of the year.
After a fair bit of 'build her up / knock her down' noise from the MSM recently it must be nice for a teenager to get such a clear message from the voting public about how the actual man in the street feels about her achievement.
Should give her an extra charge in her batteries going into Oz.

A wee bit of reflected glory from this on Leylah also I think, as the two of them put up a final that was a joy for the casual tennis fan watching in the pub

1 - No grunting
2 - Highly aggressive, positive non-retrieval based tennis
3 - Two great speeches
Report Journeyman December 19, 2021 10:26 PM GMT
(I meant 'non wait-for-a-mistake'. Retrieving is nice.)
Report Journeyman December 19, 2021 10:42 PM GMT
Oh and well done to Mes for flagging her up way back in the summer.
Hopefully the rest of the young Brits were watching and are all fired up to follow her to the promised land.
Report Giuseppe January 11, 2022 1:56 AM GMT
now 9th favourite for AO at 27.0 Surprised

traded as low as 7.20

is this because people think she is injured or think she is ****?
Report wisewords January 11, 2022 2:05 AM GMT
overrated / not enough experience / perfect storm came together at the US Open for her
Report SamuelMertensBertens January 11, 2022 2:14 AM GMT

Jan 11, 2022 -- 1:56AM, Giuseppe wrote:


now 9th favourite for AO at 27.0 traded as low as 7.20is this because people think she is injured or think she is ****?


should be 270

Report wisewords January 11, 2022 2:20 AM GMT
880
Report Giuseppe January 11, 2022 2:20 AM GMT
why do you say that?
Report Journeyman January 11, 2022 3:37 AM GMT
Raducanu is not just turning up here for a mauling by the Adelaide finalist.

She will have some surprises in store.
She is super aggressive. She has amazing footwork. She also has perspective, she's not just caught up in the tennis bubble she can think with a mathematical mindset, a stocktrading mindset.

Also on a night when all the Brits (bar Swan) have been losing the Uk's current tennis talisman is going to be driven to prove the doubters wrong.

C'mon Emma!
Report Pilsudski January 11, 2022 11:12 AM GMT
That WAS a mauling.
Report Wesdag January 11, 2022 11:24 AM GMT
Looks very much like Emma will be a 1 slam wonder.

Now she has a number on her back, she doesn't seem to have the necessary tools to dismiss opponents who will inevitably up their game when playing a grand slam winner.
Report Journeyman January 11, 2022 9:03 PM GMT
Yeah it was a mauling. Fifth game of the first set it really looked like she was going to get firing.

It's way too early to say she'll be a one slam wonder. Look at the average age of the top 100 !
Emma (and Leylah) jumped the queue a bit in October.

Ultimately she's got such a good brain that you can't write her off.

Anyway. the Brits are having a terrible couple of days in Australia.
Report Journeyman January 11, 2022 9:06 PM GMT
* September
Report Journeyman January 11, 2022 9:41 PM GMT
Also whether she played Rybakina or Swiatek it could hardly have been a much worse draw for her first competitive match. And coming back from Covid as well. So the lass deserves a bit of a break here.

Rewatching the end of the first set there were are a few sliding doors moments a few shots that just went out that could have tweaked the confidence balance, got the crowd behind her. Rybakina was ready to be rattled by the crowd if Emma's match had caught a flame.
Report Giuseppe January 11, 2022 10:06 PM GMT
did she have covid?
Report lurka January 11, 2022 10:16 PM GMT
Gonna be hard for her this year. She's going to have to gain tour experience starting in the top 20.

I don't think she's ever played on clay either, so can prob be ruled out for the FO for the foreseeable. Might be better off having a stinker of a year and losing all those ranking points.
Report mesmerised January 16, 2022 8:14 PM GMT
Some of you need to give your heads a wobble. After the Lord Mayor’s show comes the dustcart, but the show will go on again. After USO21, all of a sudden she had the world’s press focusing attention on her, with umpteen commercial and sponsorship opportunities thrown her way, guest appearances at Premiers, the red carpet, photoshoots, endless interviews, TV appearances, Sports Personality, social media blow ups, a Birthday, etc. Her concentration and motivation levels after all that naturally floored, whereas on the other hand, her opponents concentration and motivation levels sky rocketed as they all wanted to beat this new upstart who just won a slam, an ego boost. Writing her off completely because she couldn’t focus soon after in a match against Sasnovich is stupid, or the match v Ryba given she’d just come back from Covid, 1st match with a new coach and hadn’t played in 3 weeks.  As soon as she lost she went back out onto the practice courts. What did you think was going to happen after Flushing Meadows? That she was going to steam roll the tour Confused

No reason why she can’t beat Stephens who’s probably been eating too much wedding cake and hasn’t played a full match herself since October. Unfortunately Halep is back in form and they’d meet Round 3 but she can win. 

One thing is for sure however, she wont be winning 10 slams as some have stated, that’s getting carried away, nobody wins 10 slams in the modern WTA era unless you are a super talent a la Serena or Graf, I think she can win Wimbledon having see her play on  grass, who knows on clay, requires more core strength amongst other things, will need to be tested during the European clay season. At the US Open she was playing low percentage tennis going for all her shots, fearlessness of youth, hope her new coach doesn’t start getting all technical. Ostapenko was the same at the French in 2017 but she was always going to be a 1 slam wonder, Raducanu has a better serve (not difficult), better movement and is more intelligent. It is futile putting a number on it as nobody had heard of her this time last year so who knows who will come to the fore 1 year from now, 2 years from now etc, but no reason why she can’t mix with the best at every slam and surprise at the Australian Open again. She is not your typical LTA product a la Keothavong, Sam Smith, Broady or Baltacha (R.I.P)

Also is currently undefeated in completed grand slam matches, 13 out of 13, 16 sets out of 16, if she hadn’t of succumbed to nerves, as mentioned in the op which may be the case first time on the big stage, she could have won against Tomljanovic as well.


purpose of the thread was actually about the fact she was a wildcard who looked the real deal rather than someone going to dominate a tour, never been a fan of wildcards for Brits at SW19 as they're generally a waste of time. With the LTA it’s just a case of throw enough darts and eventually you’ll hit the bullseye. A long career in the world's top 10 beckons nethertheless, Kind Regards.
Report mesmerised April 25, 2022 12:46 AM BST
She's won the Breakthrough of the Year award at the Laureus World Sports Awards 2022 Cool

List of Winners
World Sportsman of the Year Award: Max Verstappen
World Sportswoman of the Year Award: Elaine Thompson-Herah
World Team of the Year Award: Italy Men's Football Team
World Breakthrough of the Year Award: Emma Raducanu
World Comeback of the Year Award: Sky Brown
World Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability Award: Marcel Hug
World Action Sportsperson of the Year Award: Bethany Shriever
Lifetime Achievement Award: Tom Brady
Academy Exceptional Achievement Award: Robert Lewandowski
Sporting Icon Award: Valentino Rossi
Sport for Good Award: Lost Boyz Inc.
Sport for Good Society Award: Real Madrid Foundation
Athlete Advocate of the Year Award: Gerald Asamoah and the Black Eagles
Report Journeyman April 26, 2022 1:28 AM BST
She came very close to being a problem for Swiatek and I think there's been an assumption in certain quarters that she wouldn't really suit clay. In fact she seems to be showing some early potential on it.
I do think one of her biggest strengths is she knows her own mind (as demonstrated by the shock booting of Richardson ofc) and has something of an old head on young shoulders. Perhaps some players end up not really suiting a surface because they get told so by 3rd parties/media and then psychologically adapt to that accepted perception.
Report Tattcorner April 26, 2022 9:34 AM BST
No shame in losing to the World No. 1.
In many horse races, the best horse goes on to win the race so this was just going to form.
Emma has come a long way in a short time and she can be proud of herself.
As long as she just gives it a go at Wimbledon, that'll be fine for me.
Report SamuelMertensBertens April 26, 2022 10:40 AM BST
https://twitter.com/TelegraphSport/status/1518843549365772288

sacking one of the best coaches there is and going with LTA coaches instead PlainCry
She doesn't seem to have much patience. And this just after a very good result on the clay in Stuttgart, the third best result of her career.
Report Journeyman April 26, 2022 1:08 PM BST
She spent a full week training with Ricardo Piatti and team at the clay courts at Bordighera and maybe she's crediting her promising showing in Stuttgart more to that training than to Torben.

In terms of looking after the Raducanu brand the #1 priority is making sure she doesn't nose dive out of the Top 20. Everything else (experience on surfaces, beating the big dog players, titles, endorsements) will come in time but she's conscious that Wimbledon and the US open are not that far off.

Depending on the next chapter ditching Torben might end up looking like a masterstroke who knows. Looking back I wish Dani had been a bit more coach-ruthless.
Report SamuelMertensBertens April 26, 2022 1:45 PM BST
She will nosedive out of top 20, but hopefully she can make top ten in the meantime and score me a point in the flag comp.
Report Wesdag April 26, 2022 2:41 PM BST
I remember Murray going thru loads of coaches - hasn't done him much harm over the years.

Nobody knows what goes on behind the scenes.
Report wisewords April 26, 2022 4:43 PM BST

Apr 26, 2022 -- 10:40AM, SamuelMertensBertens wrote:


https://twitter.com/TelegraphSport/status/1518843549365772288sacking one of the best coaches there is and going with LTA coaches instead She doesn't seem to have much patience. And this just after a very good result on the clay in Stuttgart, the third best result of her career.


such rookie behaviour

Report SamuelMertensBertens April 26, 2022 5:18 PM BST
Not sure if it's a case of being a rookie or if it's more "This coach is pushing me too hard/I'm not having fun" which we have also seen with other players who have then parted ways with the coach and in most cases have worse results with someone else. Makes me think of Maria Sharapova who mentioned in her book how she couldn't stand Tomas Högstedt but stuck with him and even rehired him because she had good results when she was with him. But I suppose players will rate success on court vs other things differently.
Report wisewords April 26, 2022 5:26 PM BST
This is a poor decision. because she had the perfect run at the US Open she thinks she should be winning and playing a top 10 level now. it doesn't work like that. look at Ostapenko after she won RG young. it's so hard to stay at the top, almost impossible as a youngster. Iga is the perfect example of how to do things. she built a team around gradually and slowly but surely her results improved. swapping coaches and starting fresh every 5 minutes isn't going to cut it
Report SontaranStratagem April 26, 2022 5:42 PM BST
Shes got arrogant and to big for her boots

Shes more interested in the glitz and the glam any fool can see that, she loved the attention thats it

And whats more telling is every time she wins a match shes adopted this drop the racket and look shocked type celebration... PlainCrazy
Report SontaranStratagem April 26, 2022 5:44 PM BST
Shell be out the limelight soon enough and into obscurity when it comes to tennis thankfully

Cant be doing with her arrogance
Report mesmerised April 26, 2022 7:24 PM BST
She's hasn't an ounce of arrogance that just waffle, in fact I couldn't think of a player who exudes less arrogance, your Penko's, Poots's, Strycova's have or had that aura, Raducanu for someone who has a rich daddy is down to earth.

Players go through tennis coaches like nobody's business, it's commonplace, She's 11th, if you look at the top 10 players in front of her, Sabalenka, Badosa, Swiatek, Kontaveit have all changed coaches in the last year, Kreicikova had 2 coaches and dropped one a few months ago, Collins I don't think has a full time coach, Pliskova started with Bajin just over a year ago and has many coaches before him and Muguruza has gone back and forth with Conchita. Most coaches are men on the women's tour, they need to feel comfortable with whoever they're working with given how much time they'd spend together, splits aren't always results orientated, though I think Sharapova once said she went back to Hogstedt as they'd had good results together even though she didn't like him, exception to the norm. I'd imagine she hasn't felt easy around them for whatever reason, simple trial and error.

The important thing is that whoever her coach is, she's always going to have the minerals to compete with the best players in the world, that much was obvious from the off, hasn't even spent a full year on tour yet.
Report Journeyman April 26, 2022 7:24 PM BST
The Telegraph has long been pushing the narrative that her father is central to her decision making.

If Emma Raducanu and her father Ian have a reputation for being hard-headed about coaches, Tuesday’s announcement did little to dispel it .../... But perhaps, in Riccardo Piatti, this exacting family have at last found an expert they all admire. Telegraph Sport understands that Piatti – a 63-year-old Italian – has emerged as the likely linchpin in the “new model” that Raducanu floated on Tuesday morning. Piatti would be a big catch within the coaching world – a man whose technical expertise has few rivals. As for whether this is a genuinely “new training model”, it is at least unconventional. But then the Raducanu family have always engaged multiple voices.

As one insider told Telegraph Sport last year, the Raducanus “start from the principle that most people don’t actually know what they’re talking about”. When Emma was a junior, there was even a theory that Ian wanted a different coach for every shot, rather as a professional golfer might have a specialist putting coach.

The same source described the way that coaching sessions tend to unfold. “They size you up, work out what you’re good at, suck out all the information they can get from you, and move on … [You] are often being asked for some specific information, like, ‘How I can get more width on my backhand return?’ or whatever it is. And then it’s ‘Okay, I’ve got it, thank you very much. Bye.’”
Report Wesdag April 26, 2022 9:05 PM BST
Thank you mes for kindly elaborating my points. Cool

As always, a voice of reason on tennis matters.
Report mesmerised April 26, 2022 10:39 PM BST
I tend to give full verse and chapter on subject matters when shorter points would often suffice, it's an old habit that probably wont leave me.

A good rest of year for Raducanu would be second week of all 3 slams, at her age and stage of career.
Report Wesdag April 27, 2022 1:08 PM BST
Your detailed responses are appreciated.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com