Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
rogerthebutler
12 Oct 09 10:27
| Topic/replies: 13,044 | Blogger: rogerthebutler's blog
Hope nobody minds a new updated version of Johnnyrants earlier thread.

A
Pause Switch to Standard View Strictly - Latest Thoughts
Show More
Report Glasgow100 December 18, 2009 10:44 PM GMT
ps where have i ever said its a dance competition alone? i just think if someone is a country mile ahead of the mincer and obviously putting in a great effort to try new and difficult dances then he deserves to win, rather then trying to use gimmicks to impress the public!!
Report Datasafe December 18, 2009 10:45 PM GMT
Glasgow100 18 Dec 23:23
it really does make me laugh how much u hang on every little thing to hope mincey wins, its like an obsession! i really hope whittle wipes the floor with the talent less, mincing, gurning git. britain might like an underdog, but hopefully true talent gets rewarded. and this is totally not talking through any book!!

I want mince to win 'cos I've got more green on him - if I'd left them at levels I wouldn't even watch it...
Report johnnyrant December 18, 2009 10:47 PM GMT
You've got a real bee in your bonnet, glasgow, and have had since the day you 1st posted. You had this massive amount staked on both Whittle and Bastian then, based on the advice of people on here, you laid off and got involved in Hollins, and now you want Whittle to win and are getting very irate at the possibility of a weaker dancing winning...?
Report Cider December 18, 2009 10:48 PM GMT
He has 12-1 Joe/Chris double, yet he is seething.
Hmmmmmm.
Report Glasgow100 December 18, 2009 10:49 PM GMT
datasafe

thats totally fine, i 100% agree with u, im more green on mincey, i just genuinely prefer whittle to win, but i wont be watching it, trust me! i have no problem what so ever with people making money, i just think theres too many people blinded by their book on here, but i respect ur views
Report Glasgow100 December 18, 2009 10:53 PM GMT
well remembered cider, the way my book at the moment is im £500 more green if mincey wins and also have an accumulator with him joe, chelsea, inter and dundee for nearly 5k, but i cant bring myself to like him or be upset if he doesnt win, hence i wont be watching it, i just find it hillarious the way people talk on here, looking for every litlle thing, mega biased, hoping the judges sway the public in their favour, and if any one dare has the opinion of hoping whittle wins, then they obviously have no idea about this competition, because they think its just a dancing comp!!
Report Cider December 18, 2009 10:58 PM GMT
Things can change quickly in Specials and you have to adapt.
For example, I was all over Lucie to win XF, when i saw she was being screwed I backed her to be eliminated @16's.
I thought Ricky would be out before last week's show. I've had him on my side through the series.
I've backed him @6-4 Saturday evening and all rates down since.
Report Glasgow100 December 18, 2009 11:03 PM GMT
cider

i really have no problem with peoples bets etc, i just kinda take offence to people saying if they want whittle to win that they 'spectacularly have have no idea, and think this is totally about a dancing contest' how arrogant is that statement, is it such a crime to want whittle to win over mincey? this is totally all bets aside. if any one wants mincey to win through their book, then i totally 100% have no problem with that.
Report Cider December 18, 2009 11:09 PM GMT
imho you're mixing personal opinion with betting opinion there.
Without checking back iirc most of your early posts were related to your book position and not who you thought deserved to win.
Money aside I doubt many regulars on here care much for either of the finalists.
Report Glasgow100 December 18, 2009 11:17 PM GMT
yeah, but thats where im probably a bit different from a lot of people on here now, my opinions are 100% not betting based, they are totally personal opinions, and i think the majority of people on here are the opposite. trust me if mincey wins and i'm £500 extra ahead i wont lose any sleep. i just think whittle deserves to win, its just a personal choice, im not trying to change the world, its not financial. i was in a similar position to u, i bet lucie early on x factor, but changed to joe. i won a few quid, but still feel the girl deserved a better chance and should never have gone out to jedward, but as u said earlier, u adapt on the specials market, thats why i had to do the sensible thing and cover with the 12/1 double.
Report seanvice December 19, 2009 2:35 AM GMT
Unforunatly I have family comitments tomorrow and thus will be unable to get internet all tomorrow afternoon onwards.

Greened up a decent amount by laying Chris eariler in the week at 1.8, am currently very big green on Chris and small green on Ricky and I suppose it will have to stay that way. I am going to leave a bit to back on Chris at 3+. (I think Ricky getting 99/100 and getting a big ramp from judges is already factored into his price, thus any higher for Chris is decent)

Heres hoping for a Hollins win and hopefully he can bring in home for the forum regs, but gl everyone who is big green on Ricky also.

See you Sunday, whatever happens it been another very profitable series and long may Strictly continue :)
Report Froggitt December 19, 2009 5:35 AM GMT
Like sean, I also took profits.....mine between 1.67 and 1.77, and now sitting on healthy greens on both of them.

So from a wallet perspective, not bothered who wins. From a personal perspective, the constipated mincer all the way.....the peoples favourite.....the guy who got to the final against the odds.....the journey candidate.....the one who has improved the most of the past three months.

And I also enjoy hearing him on brekkie TV as well now.
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 9:10 AM GMT
im more green on mincey, i just genuinely prefer whittle to win

What a fuuckkinn stupid statement from a supposed gambler its like going into a bookies putting a bet on man utd and then saying i hope they lose cause i cant stand the fuuuckkkers. Sometimes glasgow you just cant help sounding like a prrick!!!!!!!!
Report Glasgow100 December 19, 2009 9:14 AM GMT
forgive me if i dont listen to a word u say maiaze after the utter piiiiish u spoke about joe winning x factor, and i see ur one of those hard men that hide behind a keyboard when calling me a priiiick! i'd love to see u try it face to face!!
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 9:16 AM GMT
hahahhahahha the scottish dimwit has spoken from his internet cafe with his can of tennats super!!!!!! dont forget yer dogs still tied up outside x
Report Glasgow100 December 19, 2009 9:17 AM GMT
what a racist u are!! showing ur true colours now thats what i like to see!!! sums u up u**!!
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 9:18 AM GMT
racist is that cause i called your girlfriend a dog ?????
Report GeorgeBrush December 19, 2009 9:18 AM GMT
Cyber teeth and snot everywhere :-)

Calm down chaps, we are all winners on here ;-)
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 9:19 AM GMT
true george happy christmas mate
Report Glasgow100 December 19, 2009 9:19 AM GMT
I just cant abide racists!!! the lowest of the low!!
Report GeorgeBrush December 19, 2009 9:21 AM GMT
Merry Christmas to both of you. May peace and love descend from above and a dead heat rules apply between mincey and rick ;-)
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 9:21 AM GMT
i think you will find the words piiss not pishhhh
Report GeorgeBrush December 19, 2009 9:22 AM GMT
Although being a contrarian kinda twot I'd rather like to see boring Ricky overturn the mincey t1t now, lol
Report Glasgow100 December 19, 2009 9:22 AM GMT
thanks George, merry xmas to u too, u seem a good judge of people, just surprised u give that racist the time of day!
Report laughing gravy December 19, 2009 9:24 AM GMT
Can we all calm down?

This is a poncey dance show and if we were real men we would be betting on and arguing about rugby league.

See you all tonight.

x
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 9:24 AM GMT
hahhahahhaha racist because i called you scottish go back to your politically correct world !!!!!! You know whenever any1 callls me english no matter what word they put after it i am incredibly proud !!!!!!! if you arent proud to be called scottish then take yer fuuckkin kilt off
Report Glasgow100 December 19, 2009 9:25 AM GMT
i agree gravy, but theres no need for racism in any walk of life!
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 9:25 AM GMT
rugby league not as good a s rugby union ;-) only kiddin
Report GeorgeBrush December 19, 2009 9:26 AM GMT
Don't think he is Glasgow, just a pish taker. Like myself sometimes ;-)

All good types on here I find, except on xfactor weekends. Give him a Brian Clough kiss rather than a glasgow one ;-)
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 9:27 AM GMT
hold on a min me dads fuuuucckkkin scotish hes from aberdeen so that makes me half a jock hahahhahhahah how the fuccck can i be racist ime just calling you a scoootish prrrickk yer bellend
Report Glasgow100 December 19, 2009 9:28 AM GMT
read all the stuff he's called me and my gf, i think that over steps the boundaries of being just a** talker, a hard man behind a keyboard. he's racist**!!
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 9:29 AM GMT
happy christmas every 1 x x x x
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 9:30 AM GMT
Good luck with all your bets tonight ( even if they are made up ones )
Report GeorgeBrush December 19, 2009 9:30 AM GMT
Scottishers aren't a race, merely an affliction ;-)

Mind, the country is probably my favourite on the planet
Report squares December 19, 2009 9:30 AM GMT
Morning All :D

Glasgow, iirc on your first forays onto this thread you were in the main extolling the virtues of Ali (and then added Ricky). You quoted them at 1/9 combined at the time, although tbf they were 1/8 so well done with that tip.

I would also suggest that most of the regulars on here will be on Chris at 33/1, 40/1+. They have a finalist currently trading at around 11/8, who has been matched as short as 1.56 on here so they really are going to have their work cut out to lose.
Report five leaves left December 19, 2009 9:30 AM GMT
u2 maiaze :)
Report five leaves left December 19, 2009 9:33 AM GMT
Yep squares, I've decided glasgow is just an annoying troll,
He's now on my ignore list along with Lou and Matrix.
Report Glasgow100 December 19, 2009 9:33 AM GMT
thanks for that squares, and that justifies me getting racially abused, and my gf getting called a dog, interesting....
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 9:33 AM GMT
Aint got out of bed yet and allready in a fictional fight with some1 who claims to be scottish but is probably sitting in his boyfriends flat in kent !!!!!!
Report squares December 19, 2009 9:34 AM GMT
I've never abused you racially or in any other way, and didn't even know you had a gf.
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 9:34 AM GMT
and didn't even know you had a gf.

Susspect he aint!!!!
Report GeorgeBrush December 19, 2009 9:34 AM GMT
Suusex I think maiaze; Brighton ;-)
Report squares December 19, 2009 9:35 AM GMT
GB :0 some of our most esteemed specials forumites are from Brighton
Report Glasgow100 December 19, 2009 9:36 AM GMT
im not talking about u, uve joined in this argument to condemn me,uve clearly taken the side of one of the 'regulars' on here. even though they are in the middle of racially abusing me and my gf.
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 9:36 AM GMT
sometimes coming on here lifts yer mood for the whole day its like having to much iron bru on yer cornflakes!!! it just gives yer that buzz
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 9:37 AM GMT
yes our highly informed ds posters are brighton based
Report five leaves left December 19, 2009 9:38 AM GMT
Hove here, Brighton is full of riff raffs...and DS types ;)
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 9:39 AM GMT
I aint the most knowledgable person but surely a half scottish person ( who for what its worth loves scotland ) calling some1 scottish in no way is racism. Even in the most politically correct world
Report squares December 19, 2009 9:39 AM GMT
I've not joined in an "argument" as far as I am aware, nor am I "condemning" you or "taking sides", you just have a strange way or putting your point across sometimes and on other occasions you're perfectly reasonable. Maybe on a wind up. maybe on the sauce, who knows?
Report five leaves left December 19, 2009 9:39 AM GMT
What price Jane to win celeb masterchef?
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 9:40 AM GMT
2-1
Report five leaves left December 19, 2009 9:40 AM GMT
£100 please maiaze
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 9:40 AM GMT
sorry fll your barred
Report squares December 19, 2009 9:41 AM GMT
I was in Hove a few months back. There were some "amazing" buskers on the sort of paved High Street area. I couldn't work out if they were brilliant or terrible. Was one of them you FLL?
Report five leaves left December 19, 2009 9:41 AM GMT
lol you half scottish fooker.
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 9:41 AM GMT
glasgow-lou-matrix can have the bet but its gotta be legal tender not monopoly money
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 9:43 AM GMT
hhahahahahha yeh i know well he was born there but moved to england think it was to cold up there me mums half irish as well !!!!! so fuuuuckk know what that makes me !!!!! ime sure glasgow knows what to call me but doubt he got the balls too
Report squares December 19, 2009 9:44 AM GMT
you sound like a bit of a mongrel then :p
Report five leaves left December 19, 2009 9:44 AM GMT
Yep, I was the good one, sqaures.
I lost my bank on Sarah and had to do some busking to get back in business,
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 9:45 AM GMT
hahahhaha woof woof
Report Glasgow100 December 19, 2009 9:46 AM GMT
well i'll leave u all to continue your chat with the guy from the BNP have fun.
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 9:47 AM GMT
have a nice day x hope yer bum dont get to cold
Report squares December 19, 2009 9:47 AM GMT
iirc, think it was a girl trying to sound like Florence Walsh and a guy on bongos.
Report squares December 19, 2009 9:48 AM GMT
bye Glasgow, I'll post today's horse tip once you have disappeared then. ;)
Report five leaves left December 19, 2009 9:48 AM GMT
I was on the bongos and also played some little drums too.

i'm off too....keep daaancing.
Report Glasgow100 December 19, 2009 9:49 AM GMT
no problem squares
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 9:55 AM GMT
Glasgow100 18 Dec 23:23
it really does make me laugh how much u hang on every little thing to hope mincey wins

Isnt that very **phobic from someone with such politically correct morals calling some1 mincey !!!! kettle pot black
Report johnnyrant December 19, 2009 11:17 AM GMT
any more good things today squares you'd like to share with the Strictly forumites?
Heard anything over Christmas? I backed and saw that Lee horse Le Beau Bai win at Chepstow last time out, and got on at 14s for Welsh National, so he'd be my main fancy. Not a great price now.
Report Guybrush Threepwood December 19, 2009 11:31 AM GMT
Yesterday's It Take Two favoured Hollins in their preview of both couples. He came across really well I thought. His journey was more interesting than Whittle's journey. This made by the point of their highlight's - Len being shown in show one saying that Whittle was the best dancer ever and wwas the one to beat. Whereas Hollins Hollins was described as no hopers.

Hollins then continue to promote the underdog status. Nice move. Interviewed saying that he clearly cannot beat Whittle in dancing skills, which everyone would agree too. But he then said he will go for the fun, comedy strategy to win the show.

Tonight Hollins has to continue to promote himself and the competition as a fun dancing entertainment show, not a strict dancing competition. Whittle will most likely to get maximum points and standing ovation from the judges. Hollins need to play the underdog, the 'journey' act, and also additionally to win it for Ola over the new UK newcommer Natalie. He needs to show Ola deserves it too.

The first show tonight will clearly be a slight advantage for Whittle. But the 2nd is where Hollins will need to shine to capture the floating voters who haven't followed the whole series. So, Hollin's price will drift after the first but may pull back in 2nd.

As Len said in yesterday's It Take Two, its the Publics Favourite vs Judges' Favourite, and we know who has the final decision.
Report Prickard December 19, 2009 11:43 AM GMT
Is it correct that only three dances (one ballroom each and the group lindy hop) will be performed in the first show? I can't seem to find confirmation of this on the BBC website, which says only that the show will last 65 mins. I find it hard to believe that they will do just three dances in this time. There would have to be an inordinate amount of filler if that's the case.

Bearing in mind that the bulk of the votes will be cast during the one hour break between shows, it can not good news for Hollins backers that his Charleston will be in the second show.
Report bexley December 19, 2009 11:47 AM GMT
Bearing in mind that the bulk of the votes will be cast during the one hour break between shows

How can we possibly know that?, I rarely vote in these things but when I have done it has been oncel all the dancing was finished with for the evening.
Report seanvice December 19, 2009 1:20 PM GMT
change of plan, am now going to be around for the final, so see you tonight :)
Report squares December 19, 2009 1:21 PM GMT
sry JR, I gave up once Haydock was abd and went out :0
Report squares December 19, 2009 1:27 PM GMT
Interesting comments GuyT. Some articles along similar lines.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5h9CaPJeSwiZB8sXLtI5_PGygdGqw

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/12/19/strictly-come-dancing-daily-mirror-backs-people-s-choice-chris-hollins-115875-21907954/
Report squares December 19, 2009 1:28 PM GMT
Looks like The Mirror journos are on Chris:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/12/19/winning-strictly-s-as-big-for-me-as-my-dad-lifting-the-fa-cup-115875-21908291/
Report Talking Book December 19, 2009 1:34 PM GMT
The prices are moving. 11-8 still on the high street.
Report TheMadness December 19, 2009 1:54 PM GMT
Tiscali poll has Ricky kicking Hollins ass.

Heatworld poll has...

Thanks! Here are the results so far:

Go Team Cola - 56%

Its got to be Ricky - 44%
Report TheMadness December 19, 2009 1:55 PM GMT
Strictly Dancing Fansite has...

Who would you like to win?Submitted by admin on Sun, 12/13/2009 - 12:07
Chris and Ola
67% (117 votes)
Ricky and Natalie
33% (58 votes)
Total votes: 175
Report squares December 19, 2009 1:57 PM GMT
neck and neck on GMTV, but the comments at the bottom are quite interesting

http://www.gm.tv/entertainment/tv/43109-strictly-come-dancing-2009-champion.html
Report roach December 19, 2009 1:57 PM GMT
Even if Ricky scores 100, i can't see how they win this.
Report five leaves left December 19, 2009 1:58 PM GMT
Polls
Who is your winner?

Ricky & Natalie "Rickalie" (52%, 149 Votes)
Chris & Ola "Team Cola" (48%, 138 Votes)
Total Voters: 287
http://www.strictlycomedancing.tv/
Report squares December 19, 2009 1:59 PM GMT
"Rickalie" - ffs. Head-in-hands man for whoever came up with that.
Report TheMadness December 19, 2009 2:00 PM GMT
Hollins is on first tonight in case anyone didn't know.
Report TheMadness December 19, 2009 2:01 PM GMT
Should have gone with "Rat Alley"
Report downandout December 19, 2009 2:02 PM GMT
TM, is that a good thing or a bad thing do you think? Or does it not matter either way?
Report squares December 19, 2009 2:04 PM GMT
He has already danced before Ricky 8 out of 11 weeks.
Report seanvice December 19, 2009 2:05 PM GMT
I think going second is a clear advantage.
Report downandout December 19, 2009 2:05 PM GMT
What position did Tom dance in last year? (I know it was a 3-way)
Report seanvice December 19, 2009 2:08 PM GMT
Order went - Rachel/Tom/Lisa.
Report King Louis December 19, 2009 2:12 PM GMT
my predictions:
up first, i think chris and ola wil dance a very competent foxtrot but be criticised about his hands and neck and receive 44 points out of 50
second, i think ricky and natalie will dance an otherwise excellent quickstep but make a very obvious mistake. the judges will largely ignore it and give them 48.

the lindyhop:
I believe chris and ola will outdance ricky and natalie in this one, just like he did in the group waltz, but still be marked down for no good reason.

Ricky and Natalie's Cha Cha Cha. Excellent, 50 out of 50

Chris and Ola's Charleston. Equally excellent but only receiving 46 from the judges (a 10 from Len)
Report King Louis December 19, 2009 2:18 PM GMT
just so i don't get accused of aftertiming, i'm green on chris and red on ricky. and have been since the begininng. and i'm not laying any off because i think chris will win the public vote easily. I guess if i'm wrong i'm wrong and will just have to live with it.
Report squares December 19, 2009 8:57 PM GMT
well done - some good stuff on this thread :D
Report maiaze December 19, 2009 8:58 PM GMT
yeh it was our bible during this years show
Report No Chatname Specified December 19, 2009 9:03 PM GMT
Not been tuned into this one at all, but, slick, hollyoaks, half cast, obvious best dancer Ricky V short ,white, underdog, mediocre dancer Chris with a huge "middle" GB viewing populus....
No contest :)
Report Prickard December 19, 2009 10:30 PM GMT
Merry Christmas Everyone!
Report squares December 19, 2009 10:30 PM GMT
LOL and you were some glum the other day
Report Prickard December 19, 2009 10:57 PM GMT
Yeah, sorry about that. I really needed the dough!

Won't happen again.

Just watching it on iPlayer. There is something incredibly comical about Chris Hollins. He looks like he shouldn't be there. In fact he looks like he shouldn't be on TV at all.
Report johnnyrant December 20, 2009 11:09 AM GMT
What a hopeless bungling amateur...

THE STRICTLY BLOG

Weblog: Lee Mottershead on Strictly's punting possibilities
THE STRICTLY BLOG'S RSS FEED POSTED AT 11.23am 19 DECEMBER 2009

So hard to be sure which man the public wants

LAST year's Strictly final was easy. Anyone who had regularly watched the programme and understood the scoring system knew that Tom Chambers had to win and he did. Happy days.
This year, it isn't nearly as easy. Here's why:

1. Ricky Whittle is a considerably better dancer than Chris Hollins, but that is irrelevant. The final is purely a public popularity contest. The judges will give their scores, Ricky will end up with two points and Chris one point. Tess Daly will then explain that the public will then vote and the two sets of scores will be combined. However, in the event of a tie, the public's votes override those ofthe judges, so, in effect, the public will be the only ones deciding the Strictly champion.

2. Chris Hollins has generally been more popular than Ricky Whittle with the public. Despite regularly topping the judges' leaderboard, Whittle has been in two dance-offs, suggesting that he has received few votes from the viewers. Hollins, on the other hand, has never ended up in a dance off despite earning a mid-table position from the judges in most weeks.

3. The point above would seem to make the decision simple - back Hollins. However, it isn't that simple because of what happened in the semi-final.
After the judges had had their say, the scores were as follows:

Whittle 3, Bastian 2, Hollins 1.

Given that Bastian was booted out, this is one possible explanation for what happened.

Dancer Judges' Score + Viewers' Score = Total Score
Whittle 3 + 1 = 4
Bastian 2 + 1 = 3 (Bastian out)
Hollins 1 + 3 = 4

However, it's also possible that this happened.

Whittle 3 + 3 = 6
Bastian 2 + 1 = 3 (Bastian out due to fewer public votes than Hollins.)
Hollins 1 + 2 = 3

In a nutshell, the semi-final result does not confirm that Hollins received more public votes than Whittle.

4. Even if Whittle did not get more public votes than Hollins last week, he might do this week if those who had supported Ali Bastian switch to Whittle on the basis that, like Bastian, he is an excellent dancer and Hollins, although talented, is not.

5. Consider this week's betting news. At the start of the week, Hollins was odds-on and Whittle odds-against. Now, however, they have flip-flopped with Whittle now 4-6 and Hollins 11-10. What has caused the bookmakers to so drastically alter the odds? Perhaps they have discovered something about how many votes were polled for each candidate last week.

6. Ricky Whittle's showdance is almost certain to have more of a wow factor than that of Hollins, who could struggle to get his partner, Ola Jordan, into the air. Whittle has much bigger arms.

To conclude, if forced to place a bet I would still side with Hollins, but I'm not, so I won't.
Report johnnyrant December 20, 2009 11:12 AM GMT
Too many couples and far too long... Strictly judges lash BBC's new format as final ratings fall

By Andrew Dagnell
Last updated at 11:21 PM on 19th December 2009

Strictly Come Dancing has been slammed for going on for far too long - by two of its own judges.

Len Goodman and Bruno Tonioli said it had been a mistake for the BBC to start this series with a record 16 couples, leading to marathon broadcasts early in the competition.

They said the show needed to be 'pruned' to avoid making viewers 'sit through' almost two-and-a-half hours of dancing.

Their comments come amid falling ratings for Strictly. Last night's final between Hollyoaks actor Ricky Whittle and BBC Breakfast sports presenter Chris Hollins was seen by an estimated nine million viewers - down a quarter on the 12million who tuned in this time last year.

In contrast, nearly 20million people watched Joe McElderry win the X Factor final last weekend, up eight million on 2008.

Goodman and Tonioli warned that the BBC would face a further struggle against ITV's ratings juggernaut as the Corporation looked to slash the budget for the dance contest.

In contrast, The X Factor could be an even more lavish production next year after mastermind Simon Cowell told bosses at ITV that he wants his budget hiked to £2million per show to reflect its enormous success.

Italian choreographer Tonioli, 54, said: 'The BBC is doing an incredible amount of work with a budget that is a fraction of what ITV have.'

Head judge Len Goodman, 65, added that Strictly had greater demands on its budget than The X Factor, saying: 'The costumes are far less expensive on X Factor. You don't have to buy suits for the men and gorgeous frocks for the women. We have a 20-piece orchestra and singers. But I'm sure if the BBC did really pull out all the stops, they would be criticised.

'Bruno and I both agree that having 16 couples was too much. At the beginning people had to sit through two-and-a-half hours.

'Most shows and series that run for several years have ups and downs. I think the BBC is right in trying to tweak it. It's like a plant - it needs to be pruned occasionally.'

The first series of Strictly, in 2004, featured just eight couples - a number that has been growing ever since.

Meanwhile, Tonioli also put the boot into one of the show's professional dancers Kristina Rihanoff, 32, whose love life has made the headlines. She is rumoured to have started a relationship with her dance partner on this year's series - former world-champion professional boxer Joe Calzaghe, 37.

She previously had an affair with fellow professional dancer Vincent Simone, 30, until she found out he had a girlfriend who was pregnant with his child.

Tonioli said: 'Kristina puts it about a bit, doesn't she? We are always the last to find out about the romances.

'Having a sexy dancer helps the celebrity get more votes. But that's part of the charm of the show - there are these gorgeous girls and these handsome boys.'

Whittle was the favourite to win last night's show, having edged slightly ahead of Hollins after Ali Bastion was voted off in the semi-final. Last night, the Strictly contestants performed four dances each, with both couples dancing their highest-scoring Latin and ballroom number from the series.

For the first time in a Strictly final, the two couples also performed a dance together on stage, a Thirties Lindy Hop. The couples had group rehearsals for the dance.

A show insider said Chris had found the sessions 'intimidating' because Ricky learned the steps so quickly.

He said: 'Chris takes more time to learn the steps and while he was still picking them up, Ricky was flying around the room.'
Ricky Whittle and Natalie Lowe

Favourites: Ricky Whittle and Natalie Lowe danced four routines in the Strictly final

For the final showdown, Ricky and his partner Natalie Lowe danced to Donna Summer's Last Dance while Chris and Ola Jordan chose the Dirty Dancing anthem Do You Love Me? by The Contours. Chris ended his dance by jumping up on the judges' desk and wiggling his hips.

During their interview, Goodman and Tonioli also revealed that they accepted a 20 per cent reduction in their pay for this series - and were braced for more cuts next year.

They had been employed on £60,000 a series - which they negotiated up to £90,000 last year.

But as the BBC made cutbacks, the judges, who also include Australian choreographer Craig Revel Horwood, agreed they would take only £72,000 out of 'loyalty to the show'.

It is understood new judge Alesha Dixon, who sparked an ageism row when she replaced 66-year-old Arlene Phillips, also receives the same amount of money.

The contracts for next year's show will not be negotiated until next summer but the judges said they would accept further pay cuts to keep the series going.

Goodman said none of the judges would complain because of the easy nature of their jobs.
Judges Len Goodman and Bruno Tonioli flank Alesha Dixon on the Strictly panel

'We took a pay cut of 20 per cent. We understood it had to happen. But it's not the hardest job in the world. It's not exactly as difficult as digging a ditch.'

Tonioli added: 'We understood that we had to take a pay cut - everyone did. Everyone is suffering.

'It was never a question. We just said, "Of course we will do it." We could have said no, but we wanted to keep doing the show.

'We are definitely not doing it for the money, not even close. We just love it and we feel very loyal to the show. If we hadn't done Strictly we wouldn't have been doing the American version, Dancing With The Stars.

'I would have just continued to choreograph films, and Len would have been doing his dance school. Strictly has changed our lives. And we are very grateful for it.

'At the end of the day, if it wasn't for this, we wouldn't be here.'

Ricky Whittle, 29, narrowly avoided being booted off the show after he was arrested over an alleged assault of a photographer in Liverpool last month. That week, he found himself in the dance-off although he subsequently claimed he did not believe the incident had affected his chances in the competition.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1237178/Too-couples-far-long--S...
Report johnnyrant December 20, 2009 9:57 PM GMT
Strictly Come Dancing runner-up calls for voting figures to be released

* Press Association
* guardian.co.uk, Sunday 20 December 2009 22.07 GMT
* Article history

Strictly Come Dancing's runner-up Ricky Whittle has called for it to follow The X Factor's lead and release details of the voting figures.

The Hollyoaks actor, partnered by Natalie Lowe, lost to presenter Chris Hollins, partnered by Ola Jordan, in Saturday's final. Whittle said he did not know how close he and Hollins were in the public vote that decided the winner of the BBC1 show.

Whittle said: "They never tell us and I don't think they ever will, which is a bit of a shame.

"At the end of the day it's a public channel. X Factor came out with all the stats and it would be nice to see how the voting was going to see what people were doing right and wrong."

The actor was backed by Liberal Democrat peer Lord Tyler, who has tabled parliamentary questions on the subject, and said: "It's completely ludicrous to claim that the Corporation shouldn't make clear how well each couple did in the Strictly final.

"The technology is there, so why the smoke and mirrors?

"Surely if you ask the public to ring in, it's in the public's interest to know the full result."

Tyler, who has tabled questions in parliament on the matter, called for the Freedom of Information Act to be updated to expose the BBC to "full public scrutiny".

A BBC spokesman said: "We never reveal exact figures from our shows as we have a relationship of trust with our contestants and it would be unfair to disclose the exact nature of difference in their popularity."
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com