Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
now wheres that switch!!!
02 May 21 21:30
| Topic/replies: 1,552 | Blogger: now wheres that switch!!!'s blog
If Selby wins the title again... just when sports are trying to become more entertaining and appealing to the youth and future, snooker gets a more uninteresting and boring version of Steve Davis!! Fair play to the audience for staying awake up there. Feel sorry for whoever has to try promote the game....
Pause Switch to Standard View A tragedy for the game....
Show More
Report casemoney May 3, 2021 12:23 AM BST
Tedious to watch ,Murphy must be terrified of missing  a shot and not leaving him on Laugh
Report casemoney May 3, 2021 12:37 AM BST
Murphy shud Just smash foook out of the balls hope one goes in , or selby misses one , be far more entertaining Laugh
Report elisjohn May 3, 2021 7:40 AM BST
the game is snooker world champs, id love this to be a 107 frame final, selby is the complete player, who wants pot black, he even beats these potters who have buckets to fill, a great player is selby
Report crepello May 3, 2021 10:45 AM BST
elisjohn    03 May 21 06:40 
the game is snooker world champs, id love this to be a 107 frame final, selby is the complete player, who wants pot black, he even beats these potters who have buckets to fill, a great player is selby

Well said - if you cannot enjoy the skills he brings to the table then maybe snooker is not for you - tedious pot after pot and on to the next frame is certainly not for me. If he prevails he will be a worthy Champion - no other player has such command of the table - Ronnie (and I am a fan) was so fortunate to beat him last year otherwise we would could have been looking at a five time Champion at close of play tonight.
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk May 3, 2021 11:10 AM BST
He is not entertaining. We all know Selby is brilliant but don't have to be labelled as non-snooker lovers if we find Selby dull to watch.
Report A_T May 3, 2021 11:37 AM BST
Selby is the Djokovic of snooker - not well liked but just about the best there is
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk May 3, 2021 11:52 AM BST
Djokovic is exciting to watch. It's his personality that people seem to be iffy about

Selby as we know is the Jester and loved by all.

But his style of play, such as being down on the shot then getting up, pointing his cue about the table like he is Aristotle,  putting his forefinger and thumb to his chin and pondering how to get a red safe as if he is musing on one of the great existential questions and finally dollying the cue ball up to the pack is what makes watcher's arses clench.

He is the greatest player to have money on, and have an afternoon nap for 2 hours safe in the knowledge he is trying his nuts off for you Cool
Report A_T May 3, 2021 11:55 AM BST
Djokovic is not widely regarded as exciting to watch
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk May 3, 2021 11:57 AM BST
He doesn't believe that The USA election was **** so you should be a fan AT
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk May 3, 2021 11:58 AM BST
r1gged
Report alun2005 May 3, 2021 1:17 PM BST
Snooker is not a game based solely on potting balls like maniacs from all angles.
Report now wheres that switch!!! May 3, 2021 1:20 PM BST
Selby is a very good billiard player. His knowledge of angles etc is far better than the rest, but he is terrible to watch, terrible for anyone wanting to aspire to become a snooker player and terrible for BBC viewing figures. 17 frames into the final and only a couple of centuries.. a very poor quality on show.
Report now wheres that switch!!! May 3, 2021 1:23 PM BST
We could all be competitive against him fudging around the table, but against the true talents of the game we would have no chance as we wouldn’t get a shot. I bet he was forever needing 50p pieces or £1 coins when younger to keep topping up the light Laugh
Report elisjohn May 3, 2021 2:49 PM BST
todays 4 frames , fantastic, and very entertainingWink, anyone not entertained there should stop watching id say
Report alun2005 May 3, 2021 3:04 PM BST
Quite.
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk May 3, 2021 3:18 PM BST
Pocket talkers
Report trevorbrooking May 3, 2021 4:25 PM BST
No pocket talking here but I would much prefer Murphy to win this final(it's a longshot though) purely for Selby's poor sportsmanship IMO in the semi. He knew Bingham was outplaying him IMO and stooped to a very low level to get him out of stride. For his part Bingham had numerous chances and lost too many frames early to silly errors as he should have been clear but was magnanimous in his interview immediately after saying Mark deserved top win (I don't think so). I love snooker but would venture to say that if everybody played like Selby snooker audiences would be 10% therefore prizemoney would be decimated. My opinion as i say.
Report A_T May 3, 2021 4:27 PM BST
He doesn't believe that The USA election was **** so you should be a fan AT

he's got plenty of other crackpot beliefs though
Report elisjohn May 3, 2021 4:29 PM BST
thoroghly enjoyed that sessionWink
Report trevorbrooking May 3, 2021 4:35 PM BST
I haven't watched any of the final after watching most of the tournament aired. Will watch tonight though . Just in case anybody thinks otherwise I have always liked Mark Selby but for me he let himself down in the semi...of course he won't give a monkeys when he becomes four times champ tonight.
Report elisjohn May 3, 2021 4:38 PM BST
bloody lovely to watch the match without having a laptop by my side trading ,  ( which i have during the previous 16 days)
Report SontaranStratagem May 3, 2021 6:46 PM BST

May 3, 2021 -- 7:20AM, now wheres that switch!!! wrote:

Selby is a very good billiard player. His knowledge of angles etc is far better than the rest, but he is terrible to watch, terrible for anyone wanting to aspire to become a snooker player and terrible for BBC viewing figures. 17 frames into the final and only a couple of centuries.. a very poor quality on show.

More naturally gifted players than him on tour and he nearly has more world titles than nearly of them put together though

Trump, Robertson and Murphy are more naturally gifted, a swagger when on form but they have 90% less grit and determination than Selby

Wilson was 10-4 up against Murphy and blew up, kept leaving Murphy amongst the balls frame after frame at 10-4 and got blown away, Selby wont gift him the same opportunities

Report gjohn101 May 3, 2021 6:56 PM BST
Murphy, Robertson, Allen, Ding, Maguire, Selby.

All roughly same age give or take a uear or two, or came through around the same time. If you'd asked 15 years ago who'd emerge the pick of the bunch,  I'd lay any money selby would finish bottom of most lists. Yet he's already won more world titles than the rest put together.
Report A_T May 3, 2021 7:38 PM BST
Selby's great strength is the ability to maintain concentration over long periods - his mind never seems to wander
Report SontaranStratagem May 3, 2021 8:00 PM BST
Ding and Maguire are the biggest let downs really

How the heck Maguire has only ever won 1 tournament I'll never know, all that talent and he's achieved the square root of feck all with it
Report BornToWin May 3, 2021 10:16 PM BST
I remember his fudging and gamesmanship in his first final, he’s always been the same.

Fair play to the man with pub pool decorum, he’s got 4 titles in the ‘gentleman’s’ game.
Report elisjohn May 3, 2021 10:21 PM BST
entertainment value there 9/10
Report thegiggilo May 3, 2021 10:28 PM BST
Wait till he starts playing well was only around 75% of his best and Murphy was out of this world..
Report thegiggilo May 3, 2021 10:28 PM BST
Wait till he starts playing well was only around 75% of his best and Murphy was out of this world..
Report Platini May 3, 2021 10:36 PM BST
I don't mind Selby, prob cos he is normally reliable when you have money on him.

But comparisons with Djokovic are well wide of the mark. He's nowhere near any GOAT conversations.
If you want a tennis comparison, Pete Sampras would be a better yardstick. Another clinical performer who could bully opponents when at his best, but lacking personality.
Report alun2005 May 3, 2021 11:10 PM BST
A final result that should please EVERY true snooker fan.

This Champion of the World has a mastery of all departments of the game. Break-building, safety play, tenacity, bottle, patience and the ability to concentrate for long periods of time. So unlike so many opponents who require instant gratification. And he's a gentleman with it.

Oh, and this champion also doesn't need to pump his fist every few minutes and play to a gallery of loud thugs with flowery knickers wrapped around their ugly faces.

Well done Mark Selby on your 4th World Professional Championship win.
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk May 3, 2021 11:25 PM BST
Christ, even Selby's fans are dull.
Cliche, cliche, cliche Devil
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk May 4, 2021 11:01 AM BST
Just teasing lads.
Seeyall at the next tournament Happy
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com