Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
megdog1
06 Jun 12 20:22
| Topic/replies: 422 | Blogger: megdog1's blog
South Africa: 15 Zane Kirchner, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jean de Villiers, 12 Frans Steyn, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 François Hougaard, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Marcell Coetzee, 5 Juandré Kruger, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.
Replacements:16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Coenie Oosthuizen, 18 Flip van der Merwe, 19 Keegan Daniel, 20 Ruan Pienaar, 21 Patrick Lambie 22 Wynand Olivier
Pause Switch to Standard View South Africa v England
Show More
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 4:30 PM BST
That could be a yellow mr Walsh. Try coming there and killed dead.
Report Glossy June 9, 2012 4:30 PM BST
Big Bad Ben does the business. Can't wait to see him in Cherry & White!
Report big_dunc June 9, 2012 4:31 PM BST
It's unbelievable that SA, with their 10 man game, do not opt for Pienaar at 9 to pull the strings and take some pressure off Steyn. Hougaard far better suited to fast, open games or coming off the bench with his pace.
Report Danno June 9, 2012 4:32 PM BST
Didn't understand the pen there.  Surely the ball was knocked loose and the SA player picked up a loose ball?

Can someone who knows the rules explain.  Thanks.
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 4:32 PM BST
Hell of a signing for Gloucester is Morgan. They still need some tight-five forwards to challenge I think, but there is plenty of good young talent in other areas for sure.
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 4:33 PM BST
Not sure who knocked it out, but the SA players feet were well in front of the back foot as he stood at the side. Just wasn't onside when he picked it up.
Report big_dunc June 9, 2012 4:34 PM BST
The SA defender needs to be behind the hindmost foot when the ruck is formed. The ball did squirt out but he was already in an offside position.
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 4:34 PM BST
In fact, technically the moment he picked it up maybe wasn't relevant if the ball was knocked out, but the fact he didn't retreat did for him.
Report Danno June 9, 2012 4:36 PM BST
OK thanks
Report Glossy June 9, 2012 4:36 PM BST
Rumours are that he won't be the only Scarlet on his way to Kingsholm RM.
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 4:36 PM BST
Ah, shame. It's always the one you don't see that does for you. Ashton so nearly in.

Intelligent play by Youngs and Ashton though. Good to see!
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 4:38 PM BST
Pinching Scarlets kids probably isn't a bad idea Glossy. Two of the best academies around at Glos and Llanelli.

Only trouble is their props are not great and that's what Glos need. Maybe pinch a lock, although Reed has just gone to Cardiff and they wont want to lose any more.
Report TheVis June 9, 2012 4:39 PM BST
Hartley kicking?  He is no Gethin Jenkins Silly
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 4:39 PM BST
That was the worst organised maul I have ever seen from SA. Matfield and Botha missing is a big problem.
Report big_dunc June 9, 2012 4:40 PM BST
Two shockers in a row from Brown. That's dreadful.
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 4:41 PM BST
Losing a line out as well! Never saw that with Matfield playing.
Report big_dunc June 9, 2012 4:41 PM BST
Why didn't Brown let that go from Kirchner??? Way too much on it!
Report Danno June 9, 2012 4:42 PM BST
Out of interest, why not Matfield or Botha?  Injured, retired or just not selected?
Report TheVis June 9, 2012 4:42 PM BST
some serious good defence from eng again
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 4:43 PM BST
Robshaw that time. Been some superb turnovers from a team without an out and out openside.

Matfield and Botha both retired from internationals I think. Botha in France and Matfield in Japan? Not 100% on that.
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 4:44 PM BST
Both getting on a bit anyway. Bekker out injured as well.
Report Glossy June 9, 2012 4:44 PM BST
I think the first choice front row of Wood, Edmonds and Harden will be ok if all are fit. Harden improved a lot last season. I do agree though, it's one of the positions that needs to be strengthened if we are to challenge. Can probably say the say about the second row and blind side too.
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 4:45 PM BST
Is Will James still 3rd choice lock? If so that says exactly what the locking problem is!
Report TheVis June 9, 2012 4:45 PM BST
how can you expect to get away with that?
Report big_dunc June 9, 2012 4:45 PM BST
What on earth was Johnson playing at? It was rolling straight out so would just have been a reset.
Report furrelli June 9, 2012 4:45 PM BST
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ffs blllx cooooont
Report Danno June 9, 2012 4:46 PM BST
What a tw@t.  In such a tight match, that could prove crucial.
Report furrelli June 9, 2012 4:47 PM BST
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Laugh

ouuta the gaol & into the honey pit Laugh
Report Kevbetting superstar June 9, 2012 4:47 PM BST
Ha. - the fookign in bred **** shoved it with his hand.

Shoite game played by fookign idiots.
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 4:48 PM BST
I want to see Glos playing with Qera and this lad in the same back-row:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sione_Kalamafoni

Brutal! Was excellent in the world cup from what I remember.
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle June 9, 2012 4:49 PM BST
The South African pack looks completely disorganised. Coetzee and Alberts only lads doing anything. Disappointed with Bismark and the 2 second rows are very green but very solid in the lineouts in fairness to them. Houghaard is having a shocker at 9.

Pienaar would defo be a call to play 9 and shift houghaard to the wing. Bekker is a massive massive loss.
Report TheVis June 9, 2012 4:50 PM BST
well done furelli  -suited my ht/ft bets just too

Really enjoyable first half that.  Who needs tries when there is a great bruising contest on show?  I fancy SA will stick nick this but that was a fine 40 from Eng.
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 4:50 PM BST
Not really anything between the two teams is there? Both solid, both have some youngsters making a few mistakes, both defences very impressive.
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle June 9, 2012 4:52 PM BST
I wonder why South Africa don't put Lambie in at 10 and shift steyn to 15. It would completely change there game.
Report big_dunc June 9, 2012 4:52 PM BST
They probably will nick it Vis, but not at current odds, thanks.
Report furrelli June 9, 2012 4:57 PM BST
still too hard to call, think the series will go down to the last game & the last 10mins based on that half
Report furrelli June 9, 2012 5:01 PM BST
is that Habanna back on? or was i hearign things
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 5:01 PM BST
How on earth was Habana a 'blood' injury? Just got smacked in a bad place.
Report furrelli June 9, 2012 5:01 PM BST
works for me
Report TheVis June 9, 2012 5:02 PM BST
longest blood injury of all time that
Report bigmickey June 9, 2012 5:03 PM BST
worst game ever
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 5:03 PM BST
I thought it was 10 minutes, but surely he was off before the 30th min? Very dubious.
Report big_dunc June 9, 2012 5:05 PM BST
Pure shyte from Youngs. Crab, crab, pass to Robshaw with no space whatsoever.
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 5:07 PM BST
Must have knocked on ffs???
Report Glossy June 9, 2012 5:07 PM BST
Johnson had to do better there.

Not been overly impressed with him to be honest.
Report furrelli June 9, 2012 5:08 PM BST
33rd min habanna went off, anyone see the bok scrummie wiped out by his own frwd then.....
Report big_dunc June 9, 2012 5:08 PM BST
Lambie definitely knocked it on in that move.
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle June 9, 2012 5:09 PM BST
England are a big side but they were smashed since the 2nd half started. Springboks brought real power to the game now.

Beastly in defense SA
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 5:09 PM BST
Damage was done long before that. Would have been a pen anyway, but Lambie dropped that one dead and the touch judge was apparently looking elsewhere.
Report big_dunc June 9, 2012 5:09 PM BST
Big test for Lancaster now. Got to get Dickson on soon.
Report big_dunc June 9, 2012 5:10 PM BST
Lcuky not to give away a pen. Ashton was ahead of Youngs when he played it.
Report big_dunc June 9, 2012 5:12 PM BST
Lancaster needs to turn to his bench before SA are out of sight.
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle June 9, 2012 5:14 PM BST
Houghaard can you get any worse. This is a shocker. Pienaar has to be on the pitch sooner or later.
Report big_dunc June 9, 2012 5:15 PM BST
Bollix, Flood for Barritt? that's the end of that then.
Report big_dunc June 9, 2012 5:16 PM BST
Not exactly the change I was looking for.
Report bigmickey June 9, 2012 5:16 PM BST
55' 11-6
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 5:17 PM BST
Looking very much like just a matter of time before SA stretch their lead.
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 5:18 PM BST
Steyn just hoofed the ball into someone and it all kicked off by the looks of things.
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle June 9, 2012 5:18 PM BST
Flag out linesman.

Farrell to the bin
his own player rugbyman
fair play handbags.
Report furrelli June 9, 2012 5:19 PM BST
walsh aint gonna card anyone, lets them get on w it.
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 5:19 PM BST
Nah, he hoofed it at England players. If his aim is crap thats his own fault.

2 over-excitable children I think.
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle June 9, 2012 5:19 PM BST
Pienaar finally.
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 5:20 PM BST
Would love to see England get a result here, but I think backing SA on the cap earlier was the right thing to do. Look well on top.
Report curious-cat June 9, 2012 5:20 PM BST
Yeah  Yeah  Alain.

It's a game of rugby says Steve Walsh Laugh
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle June 9, 2012 5:21 PM BST
Bismark must have carried double figures at this stage. Great stuff
Report big_dunc June 9, 2012 5:22 PM BST
I went into this on England +7.5 but am well and truly on SA now. England haven't been out of their half in this 18 mins and have Flood defending the 12 channel where Barritt was.
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 5:23 PM BST
Pitch is cutting up a bit. In England's half that is.......
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle June 9, 2012 5:24 PM BST
Jesus South Africa are just in supercharged now.

Steyn is playing great at 12...making yards with ease
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle June 9, 2012 5:24 PM BST
pathetic tackle by Brown. Embarresment
Report furrelli June 9, 2012 5:25 PM BST
think the long cap might well come in now, legs have gone, subs now
Report Kriskin June 9, 2012 5:29 PM BST
Boks need tp change theri kicker.  Pinear much better than Steyn
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle June 9, 2012 5:29 PM BST
South Africa gone to sleep!
Report bigmickey June 9, 2012 5:30 PM BST
66' 16-12
Report bigmickey June 9, 2012 5:30 PM BST
yes gone to sleep
Report Kriskin June 9, 2012 5:30 PM BST
Boks once again switch off in a game.  England still very much in this
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 5:30 PM BST
Bugger. 4pts a bit of a nuisance to me. Need more scores now
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle June 9, 2012 5:33 PM BST
Its almost scary on will how South Africa can just make ground with ease with a scrum half that knows what he is about.
Report Kriskin June 9, 2012 5:33 PM BST
Boks now take the 3 when only 4 ahead.  They were 5 ahead earlier and refuded to take the easy 3.  U couldn't make it up
Report bigmickey June 9, 2012 5:33 PM BST
19-12
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle June 9, 2012 5:36 PM BST
England Green!!!
Report furrelli June 9, 2012 5:36 PM BST
youngs idiot! kick for touch on the peno & get a lineout on/about boks 22 ffs quick penalty from there is plain stoooopid
Report bigmickey June 9, 2012 5:39 PM BST
v good performance overall Eng
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle June 9, 2012 5:39 PM BST
Man of the Match surely is

Alberts
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 5:40 PM BST
Cant argue with that. Tough man to stop.
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle June 9, 2012 5:41 PM BST
There you go.

Brutally efficently Scrum there...
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 5:43 PM BST
Shame for England as I think they have performed well, but SA second half power has just been a bit too much for this young team. Certainly not disgraced though.
Report bigmickey June 9, 2012 5:44 PM BST
78' 22-12
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 5:47 PM BST
Sums up my weekend if that's a try. Getting done on a 80th minute try for the 3rd time in two days Cry
Report RugbyMan June 9, 2012 5:48 PM BST
What a kick in the nuts.
Report bigmickey June 9, 2012 5:48 PM BST
FT 22-17
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle June 9, 2012 5:48 PM BST
Not seeing really how England beat South Africa next week.

SA should improve massively as they were pretty average first half.

England played well but serious lack of power in the tight over 80 mins.
Report furrelli June 9, 2012 5:49 PM BST
& theres the cap in for the faithfull
Report Kriskin June 9, 2012 5:50 PM BST
-7.5 Handicap done with last play of the game.  U couldn't make it up.  That refusal of 3 points when leading by 5 cost backers
Report Ozymandius June 10, 2012 6:06 PM BST
Jaysus the English boys took some punishment in that second half.  Great heart to stand up to it and conceed so few tries. 

Both nations approach the game in a similar way.  Strong set piece, kicking game and power.  No real imagination or creativity but huge commitment.  Boks comfortably the better team but their style makes pulling ahead on the scoreboard a real chore.

If England can stand up to the punishment for two more games and keep the score respectable it will be a fine achievement.
Report RugbyMan June 10, 2012 9:20 PM BST
SA don't want to play too complex a game because they don't really have the players (Pietersen playing at 13, and Habana, in super15 suggests a lack in midfield), but at the same time they can name a XV of absolutely huge body-mass. There have been worse times to play SA, with 4th and 5th choice locks for example, but Ezebeth is likely to be a superstar and Kruger is a class act. That second half was brutal, albeit a little bit self inflicted by England.

I thought England did quite well and showed exactly where they are currently. i.e. more organised and with more overall quality than they have had for many years, but still lacking that timing and cohesion on attack. What frustrates me is that 1 game into a tough, tough tour and Dewi Morris and Stuart Barnes are already on about wholesale backline changes. True, the 10, 12, 13 axis didn't create much, but they are defensively very strong and to become effective at this level you either need to be absurdly talented and hit the ground running or you need time together to bed in and learn the moves and how defences react. Still a relatively new head coach and a brand new backs coach - lets give them a chance eh?

Farrell is 20, Barritt 25, Tuilagi 21. There's a lot of time left for those 3 to grow as a trio, but one game in and the pundits are bashing on about Flood and Joseph. I like the look of Joseph a lot, but he is 21 as well and hasn't done anything truly outstanding as yet, while Flood has had endless chances and consistently looks ok, and nothing more. Farrell certainly needs to control the game better, but he was above average in the six-nations and at 20 is learning fast. I don't see how messing around with him, dropping and re-instating, is any sort of positive option.

Alas, with Barritt out for the 2nd test I think it's going to have to be Flood, which probably means Farrell shifted to 12. Joseph could really be given a chance on the wing as Ashton's commitment and concentration is still dubious. Personally I would rather see Farrell, Allen, Tuilagi as Allen has been much better for Leicester than Flood this season and it's less messing around with positions. If you want to play with precision then don't make your 10 move to 12 half way through the tour.

I don't think Tom Johnson is ever going to be the answer at 6, but then England have Wood, Croft and Haskell anyway when they can stay fit. Morgan needs to work harder in training, but Robshaw gets more impressive with every game he plays. Massive shame that Armitage remains out of the picture though as he has been maybe the best 7 in the top14. And Marler's debut was not fantastic, but I have seen many, many worse props playing international rugby and I think he has a big future.
Report Eeternaloptimist June 11, 2012 12:07 AM BST
Too much which initialy appeared relatively innocuous was allowed to be let go in that game. Habana is far too fast to be allowed to run from two sometimes three yards in front of the kicker when that is the game plan from the off and on more than one occasion the receiver was taken before he hit the ground. England need to stop aimlessly giving the balla back to them with loose kicks. By all means kick to put your opponent under pressure but some of the kicking was bizarre and immediately put an already under the cosh side further into trouble in that second half.

Agree about Marler. He struggled but they struggled more when he went off. We need some stronger men in that second row. Neither Botha nor Parling have the phsyciality though Botha ia at least a workhorse.
Report The_KAMIKAZEE_DRINKING_MACHINE June 11, 2012 11:16 AM BST
I can do without the boks endless high balls. I was hoping that with Du Preez gone that particular tactic might be put to rest. But no. Hougaard is at it as well. Despite a terrific dispaly of physicality by both packs when I watch those high balls I start to reach for the remote!
Report TheVis June 11, 2012 12:53 PM BST
I think Eng are in for a bit of a hiding this week.  After a decent enough first half they were nothing other than holding on in the second and the gap flattered them.  As long as jokers like Youngs and Flood are in the team it doesn't augur well.  I agree with RM that Allen should be given another go
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com