Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Wallflower
22 Jul 20 23:03
| Topic/replies: 7,978 | Blogger: Wallflower's blog
#TheWeekInTory is a misnomer: this just covers the last 5 days

1. Matt Hancock told Parliament lockdown started on 16th March, the day SAGE told them to, so all those unnecessary deaths didn’t happen
2. But lockdown started on 24th March, and all those unnecessary deaths did
3. The govt announced a “New Deal” for infrastructure, with £600bn of new money
4. Turns out, only 0.8% of that is new money
5. The £34bn “new money” for the NHS was actually announced in 2018

6. The govt then announced £3bn of additional funding for a possible second wave
7. That’s less than half the £8bn NHS England said it needed just to stand still, which hasn’t happened

8. Matt Hancock said wearing a mask is mandatory

9. Downing St said wearing a mask ISN'T mandatory

10. So Gavin Williamson cleared it all up by saying they're both right

11. England’s Chief Nurse confirmed she was dropped from briefings cos she refused to back Dominic Cummings

12. A poll found public trust in UK gov ability to manage the pandemic is lowest worldwide, and I nearly fainted

13. The govt cut the budget to end FGM by 84%

14. A Tory MP texted his intern to ask for “no strings” fun “pweeease”.

15. She replied that she was having a “bad mental health day”

16. He said maybe if she thought of “fun times” with him, she’d feel better. Nice.

17. Brexit: and now we’re back in control, it was confirmed the govt cancelled the Huawei 5G project because Donald Trump told them to

18. The Institute for Govt found 61% of businesses have made no preparations at all and that “Britain is fatally ill-prepared” for Brexit

19. The business secretary said “Seamless trade is vital for our economy, boosting business, supporting jobs, and ensuring consumers get the best deal”

20. He was talking about England and Scotland. He still thinks abandoning seamless trade with the EU is a great idea

21. The govt used its majority to vote against protecting the NHS from being sold

22. The govt used its majority to vote against protection of agriculture and food standards

23. The govt used its majority to vote against parliament having oversight of any trade deals

24. And now corruption news, and we’ll start small: Robert Jenrick, who you might remember from previous episodes, was in charge of £25m regeneration scheme

25. 60 of the 61 constituencies helped were Tory seats with small majorities, or Tory targets at the general election

26. Only 2 towns had Tory majorities over 10,000. One was Jenrick’s own seat

27. It was reported the Irish tracing app cost £773,000 and works

28. The contract for managing our “world beating” app was given to the wife of a Tory MP, cost £13m in 4 months, it didn’t work

29. Even if you paid £50,000 to each programmer for 4 months work, £13m buys 260 programmers

30. The successful app used by Germany – which is open source – lists 17 programmers

31. Did we hire 260 programmers? If so, why? If not, where is the rest of the money?

32. Also, the govt admitted its “world beating app” broke the law

33. A leaked govt report found our “world beating” trace system is failing

34. Serco traced 59,000 contacts in 6 weeks, which is less than 1 contact per tracer per fortnight. They got £10bn for that
35. But the govt claimed it was a success because it managed to find an outbreak in its own call centre

36. Russia report news: The govt attempted to suborn parliament by fixing the appointment of Chris Grayling to chair the Intelligence Sub-Committee (ISC)
37. It failed, so suspended the MP who did get the job

38. The ISC said the reasons given by the govt for delaying the report were “simply not true”

39. As the ISC released the report, the govt announced a pay rise for 900,000 workers. Were you distracted? Me neither
40. The report confirmed Russian interference in the Scottish Independence referendum

41. The report “reveals that no one in government knew if Russia interfered in or sought to influence the [Brexit] referendum, because they did not want to know”
42. The ISC demanded an inquiry into Russian interference in Brexit

43. The govt immediately said no

44. I’m sure this is a coincidence, but this week it was reported the largest political donor in British history is a Russian Socialite who has paid £1.7m to the Tory party
45. She paid £160,000 for game of tennis with Boris Johnson

46. She paid £30,000 for dinner with Gavin Williamson. I know, it’s baffling

47. The company she runs has assets of £23,000 and liabilities of £8.4m, so it’s a mystery where all that donated money is coming from.

48. And finally: it was reported that the UK doesn't even have enough palettes to transport goods after we leave the EU, cos we've been relying on theirs until now, and have neither the wood nor the treatment facilities required to build enough of our own.

And my own add - on about this for years - STANDARDS !!!!!!!!  Way more important than tariffs.

We cant export (more or less) manufactured goods to other countries unless we adhere to CE (or maybe US equivalent) standards  - Chinese have tried and failed and now accept as does most of Asia the CE mark.

We are apparently setting-up our own standard 'mark"  UK something or other - it will be accepted by........ NOBODY.... because nobody else gives a f*ck about our own internal standards in a global world.

Hope not to live in as crazy as times again.Sad.

Now Is see, our neighbours, the Irish have the worlds most successful contact and trace app for LESS THAN 1 MILLION EURO !!!! 700K Euro to be precise.

GET ME OUT OF THIS F*CKIN' UK MADHOUSE. I KNOW ITS DAYS ARE DEFINITELY NUMBERED BUT I JUST HOPE ITS DAYS ARE LESS THAN MINE..... GOING TO BE CLOSE, BUT ODDS ARE I WILL LIVE TO SEE ITCool. AGED 46 !!!!
Pause Switch to Standard View Genuinely funny - All within last 5...
Show More
Report lfc1971 July 22, 2020 11:49 PM BST
Anyone who wants to sell to the U.K. will have to adhere to U.K. standards , that’s how it is .
Report Wallflower July 23, 2020 12:11 AM BST
Unless its escaped your notice (quite likely) the C€ mark will be accepted by UK (and UK businesses) for an indeterminate time period - so no need to get any makey-up UK mark until then,

Besides - my point all along was - who sets the standards for global trade ?  Somebody must. At the moment it is the EU, likely to be that way - so businesses in UK will be no different than businesses in China, India, Japan and Australia etc - may as well produce to EU standards. The Uk satndard is irrelevant in a global world.

Do you think if my business in Cornwall which has an EU authenticated (ie. EU resident authorisation ) manufacturing mark and I'm exporting to Scotland and the UK hasn't invalidated the C€ mark as yet, I'm going to the bother and cost of getting an UK mark? Am I f^ck, wont bother my ar3e.
Report Wallflower July 23, 2020 12:14 AM BST
And of course - the government as if the govt is going to tell business you cant export to EU (and follow EU standards) and must follow UK standards - we'll be waiting for oneGrinGrin
Report lfc1971 July 23, 2020 12:20 AM BST
Of course if you are exporting to the EU then you have to meet EU standards
Anyone exporting to the U.K. has to meet U.K. standards or they cant export to the U.K.
Report Wallflower July 23, 2020 12:34 AM BST
.....and if you want export globally whose standards do you follow?  Two choices really - EU or US.  (UK standards obviously dont count).

Global Britain Shocked?? But there you go.

I know and you know - any businesses here who export will adhere to the C€ mark so I don't really see the point of UK 'mark'.  To be ignored, basically.
Report lfc1971 July 23, 2020 12:41 AM BST
We need the U.K. standard mark to ensure the quality and safety of products coming into Britain from other countries such as China or Brazil or Germany or France ......
Report lfc1971 July 23, 2020 12:54 AM BST
Big world , the EU are only bit part players , Britain controlled half the world at one time , large part by trade
Can do so again
Report lfc1971 July 23, 2020 12:56 AM BST
The world would certainly be a much better place today if Britain still controlled it , or most of it

Who could deny that?
Report Wallflower July 23, 2020 12:58 AM BST
Wha!!!!!

we aren't setting global standards any time soonSurprised
Report Wallflower July 23, 2020 1:09 AM BST
Not only that - not many former colonies rue our passing / demise. Not seen 'globally' as great benefactorsShocked to anyone but ourselves.

Issue we now have with the dreaded "EU" is that they were colonisers too and are consequently well able for our 'perfidious' ways - kind of expected from us really. We haven't disappointed them Laugh. Some funny quotes available from various EU ministers.

Still, bottom line is we can FO. Cry. And bonne chnace
Report lfc1971 July 23, 2020 1:13 AM BST
In Britain we know how to trade I think we can safely agree on that

Our fishing waters , our fish !
Report Wallflower July 23, 2020 1:18 AM BST
'knew'   -  not sure about 'know' any more.
Report Wallflower July 23, 2020 1:18 AM BST
'knew'   -  not sure about 'know' any more.
Report lfc1971 July 23, 2020 1:21 AM BST
The EU seems to think we are a country applying for membership
we are trying to leave Laugh
Report Wallflower July 23, 2020 1:32 AM BST
First hand experience in my own industry is the unbelievable and mind-boggling (no exaggeration)lack of preparedness of behalf of UK for end of year - the real Brexit.

My own area is mostly being moved to Dublin - but EU legal conditions are attached to remaining piece - no advice, guidance or even a f*ckin' clue received from govt. departments. This is now costing jobs - more now being sent to Dublin to be on safe side; my own view its not necessary to be moved, but I'm being over-ruled because of the ' legislative vacuum'. very sad, these are real people / families involved.
Report Wallflower July 23, 2020 1:36 AM BST
So Wrong.

We are country who are leaving/left, EU accept that - but we  just keep hanging around. Brexit is not news or big concern in EU. You would do well to see it even mentioned in EU newspapers, let alone TV. Most EU citizens think we have leftHappy
Report Wallflower July 23, 2020 1:44 AM BST
Outside of Ireland, Denmark, Netherlands - Brexit is not that big a deal.

I read that EU trade has expanded more globally than total UK trade since Brexit referendum !! Also Irish have moved total from trade with Uk = 15% to less than 10% in 4 years under their government advice.

Its still a big hit, but they seem to be working towards life with less trade with us than we seem to be trading less with EU - its somehow ' they'll come to their senses' when they are 10 times bigger than us !!!
Report cryoftruth July 23, 2020 8:20 AM BST
Britain controlled half the world at one time , large part by trade
Can do so again

Oh dear oh dear.
Here we have it in a nutshell.
The brexiteers have this fantasy that we can regain the British Empire. This level of self delusion is staggering. Even Reece-Mogg admits the UK is in for a serious financial shock from Brexit and took pains to make sure his own company is based in the EU and not England to avoid “difficulty”.
I was not a remainer. But brexiteers thinking brexit is going to see Rule Britannia played in Delhi, Melbourne and Quebec and that we will be better off are in complete denial.
Report lapsy pa July 23, 2020 8:35 AM BST
That is some opening post,yer like the feckin circus lads Laugh
Report moondan July 23, 2020 10:44 AM BST
Its UK standards when it suits.

I have read some rubbish on here and posted a lot myself but to say that a lot of the world would still love to be ruled by Britain is by some way the most ridiculous.
Britain was consistently one fingered when we left and the mess we created is still evident.
An american friend of mine maintains that the greatest thing his country did was kick British arses out before too much damage was done.

It is hard to argue with that.
Report Wallflower July 23, 2020 12:58 PM BST
The level of 'unpreparedness' for January 1st is absolutely stunning.

If I want to move any item / component to Europe I'll need the C€ mark. I suppose we'll not be ready with the UK mark thing - I mean what are they? What body / bodies sets these standards (BSI? maybe)- like our customs infrastructure and IT systems I assume it doesn't exist yet or isn't scaled-up sufficiently. How does something as huge and pivotal for industry get set-up in a few weeksShocked?

Until its in place I assume our manufacturing continues to adhere to EU standards for the foreseeable - what else can they do?

When it is in place our businesses (those who deal with Europe) - will have to adhere to two standards?

We had huge input into EU standards, many taken directly from existing British standards for those things where we were industry leaders. Now as these rules evolve there will be no consultation with our businesses/industries but we'll still have to conform to trade. Taking back control !!

I think the plan might have been mutual acceptance of standards - but we were (rightfully ) told to do one.  Brexit means Brexit as we were reminded.
Report peckerdunne July 23, 2020 1:19 PM BST
op MISSED a few U turns and fake lorry parks

Everyone is laughing at Britain the UK in particular the English part..

The Tories are infested with corruption and mismanagement, they fail at every turn, people now just expect failure.

I stated on here from day 1 that app was doomed and would never see the light of day.

Everyone is gearing for the exit doors, they know it's only going to get worse and for a very long time.......

TORIES ARE DOOMED............BRITAIN IS DISINTEGRATING
Report lfc1971 July 23, 2020 1:31 PM BST
Americans are not usually as rude as that moondan , are you sure he is American ? ( maybe Irish )
Report peckerdunne July 23, 2020 1:33 PM BST
Says the man applying for an Irish passport, what a cheeky fcuking prrick.
Report lfc1971 July 23, 2020 1:34 PM BST
Laugh there you go ..
What’s his surname moon
Report lfc1971 July 23, 2020 5:56 PM BST
Remainers and Scots separatists like wallflower seem to have difficulty taking on information

All EU countries will have to adhere to British standards if they wish to import into Britain

That will include Scotland if it is ever silly enough to break away

I can’t say it any simpler than that
Report lapsy pa July 23, 2020 6:20 PM BST
Conformite Europeene,if you get up off your chair and pull the plug out of the tv and have a good look at it,you will see 2 little letters C and E, i gave you the answer at the start of the sentence but guess what it means?
Well done,made in Europe.
That is the standard you have now, you can make your own standard possibly, say something like British Use + Made, tis up to ye,but you can't be robbing "C E" cos it is non applicable.

There, i said it even simpler.
Report nineteen points July 23, 2020 6:37 PM BST
god knows the state this country will be in in 5 years time.i wish the scots the best of luck with their bid and only wish i could go with them.
Report lapsy pa July 23, 2020 6:39 PM BST
Tis some thread 19,feckup after feckup, you know it has been going on wholesale but when put in front of your eyes like that in less than a week you realise how chronic they are.
Report nineteen points July 23, 2020 7:08 PM BST
and the cherry on the top having to wear a "covering" from tomorrow.how are folk with asthma or breathing difficulties meant to go about their business? do they wear a badge or and sign around their neck to stop the countless inquisitions that will come their way from the do gooding sheep?
Report politicspunter July 23, 2020 7:10 PM BST
There are allowances for certain folks with asthma and the like.
Report Wallflower July 23, 2020 7:11 PM BST
lfc1971 23 Jul 20 17:56 
Remainers and Scots separatists like wallflower seem to have difficulty taking on information

All EU countries will have to adhere to British standards if they wish to import into Britain

That will include Scotland if it is ever silly enough to break away

I can’t say it any simpler than that
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure that is true. It might be "simple" but its actually incorrect.

The EU is saying they will not accept UKCA as an equivalent. Dead right too.  The UK IS NOT  saying as yet you have to have the UKCA mark to import to UK?  Why not, you may ask? Think about it.  They never will.

All the healthcare, mechanical and automotive parts made in EU are needed as input to our own processes. We have no choice  (a)  either make them ourselves - mammoth and copletely unachievable undertaking  or  (b) accept CE mark as acceptable.

It wont work the same in EU - its CE or no dice. UKCA is meaningless to them.

Its all part of the endless delusion - we think we are the "sovereign equals" of the EU. We are not. We are "sovereign equals" of Germany, France, Italy, Ireland, Austria etc etc. but not the EU.  This is 'bloc' of 27 'sovereign equals' so its  27 vs 1.  When it comes to trade I'm afraid  might is right and in terms of standards what the EU says is what goes.  End of.
Report nineteen points July 23, 2020 7:29 PM BST
pp yes there are allowances.thats my question.how do people know ? what will your reaction be to someone not wearing one in a shop? what will others do? what will the assistants do? poor buggers will be treat like lepers.its a disgrace.
Report lfc1971 July 23, 2020 7:30 PM BST
Wallflower I will say again . If EU healthcare, mechanical and automotive parts are to British safety and quality standards then they will be allowed to import into Britain

If they fail these British standards they will not be allowed to import ,
We cannot put peoples lives at risk driving down the motorway or anywhere else now can we ?
Report politicspunter July 23, 2020 7:31 PM BST
People don't know, no one does. It's at the discretion of the shop if they allow you in.
Report lfc1971 July 23, 2020 7:32 PM BST
I’m sure once they understand that simple principle all will be well
Report nineteen points July 23, 2020 7:32 PM BST
british standards will be a thing of the past in a few years time.cash is king to the greedy billionaires running the show now.
Report lfc1971 July 23, 2020 7:34 PM BST
I am sorry to say there are greedy people all over the world Sad
Report nineteen points July 23, 2020 7:36 PM BST
pp so asthmatics could be refused? a bit discriminatory surely?
Report lfc1971 July 23, 2020 7:36 PM BST
But they will quickly realise if they wish to sell to Britain , and make money
They will be happy to comply to Britain’s standards
Report politicspunter July 23, 2020 7:38 PM BST

Jul 23, 2020 -- 7:36PM, nineteen points wrote:

pp so asthmatics could be refused? a bit discriminatory surely?

It's the right of any business to serve you or not. The only problem being is if they are refusing to serve you on religious or on sexual orientation. The Belfast baker case eg.

Report nineteen points July 23, 2020 7:44 PM BST
so a black asthmatic will be ok? or a muslim asthmatic? Laugh

there may be trouble ahead,but while theres........
Report politicspunter July 23, 2020 7:47 PM BST
You have to remember that England, as far as mask wearing, are behind the rest of the UK as usual. Not aware of any massive problems elsewhere.
Report nineteen points July 23, 2020 7:54 PM BST
no because its not on the agenda to report any or even any opposition to them
Report Wallflower July 23, 2020 7:54 PM BST
lfc1971 23 Jul 20 19:36 
But they will quickly realise if they wish to sell to Britain , and make money
They will be happy to comply to Britain’s standards

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Missing the point (As usual, hope its deliberate and not a lack of understanding).  They wont, and we wont insist. Will never be in a position to do so.
Report politicspunter July 23, 2020 7:59 PM BST

Jul 23, 2020 -- 7:47PM, politicspunter wrote:

You have to remember that England, as far as mask wearing, are behind the rest of the UK as usual. Not aware of any massive problems elsewhere.

I think you just have to accept you have to wear a mask in shops unless you have an underlying health condition.

Report nineteen points July 23, 2020 8:09 PM BST
i cant accept it personally as i have been shown no reason why things have changed from not having to wear one.i will not go to a shop that insists on me wearing one.my choice and i respect everyone making theirs.
Report lfc1971 July 23, 2020 8:11 PM BST
I’m confident they will wallflower , I’m sure the EU countries will be happy to meet the UKs high standards,
Maybe I’m a dreamer but I hope so.
Report politicspunter July 23, 2020 8:14 PM BST

Jul 23, 2020 -- 8:09PM, nineteen points wrote:

i cant accept it personally as i have been shown no reason why things have changed from not having to wear one.i will not go to a shop that insists on me wearing one.my choice and i respect everyone making theirs.

The first place you should try is a shoe shop as you will be needing an extra pair or two to find shops that will serve youGrin

Report nineteen points July 23, 2020 8:20 PM BST
Laugh could well do,internet for me now.however i reckon the shops will be more accomodating than some think
Report politicspunter July 23, 2020 8:36 PM BST
There could be an extremely tricky situation for stores in the future and it's this. If they allow customers into their shop without masks despite government guidelines and their staff  catch Covid and sadly pass away, it could open multiple legal cases that would be ruinous for many firms.
Report nineteen points July 23, 2020 8:46 PM BST
or what happens when staff dont wear one yet a customer who did gets it?.the 2m rule will be out the window now.do you have to wear gloves now? when you touch your mask your supposed to change it straight away,where and when do do change it? where do you put it? how many do you carry? so many unknowns
Report akabula July 23, 2020 8:50 PM BST
Wallflower talks about unnecessary deaths, his opinion obviously, and posts it under a banner saying it is genuinely funny.
Stopped readoing the post at that.
Report politicspunter July 23, 2020 8:51 PM BST
All staff will have to wear a mask.
Report nineteen points July 23, 2020 9:00 PM BST
not by law.they are only encouraged to as i am lead to believe.i stand to be corrected mind.
Report lapsy pa July 23, 2020 9:01 PM BST
19,Irelands goverment are paying the pandemic payment til April 2021, they could even extend that.
So,it is around for a long time,wear a mask in enclosed spaces(please),i understand your concerns about proper mask etiquette but use common sense which i am sure you have in abundance.

I think you are fishing sometimes re masks,you are right if you are,the goverment said they didn't know if they were any good but now wants people to wear them.
Report nineteen points July 23, 2020 9:12 PM BST
i am fishing most of the time.i just like to put things out and garner opinions and thoughts.some times i am serious and i do wish folk would accept that we all are different and have different thoughts,values and opinions and thats the way it should be.
Report lapsy pa July 23, 2020 9:18 PM BST
You could add that shambles to the opening post,the useless masks they want everyone to wear, one sheetshow extradonaire by the tory party goverment,if this was another country the forum would be in meltdown,some good guys on here deserve a lot better than that shower.
Report nineteen points July 23, 2020 9:23 PM BST
the frightening thing what seems to have gone unnoticed is the reporting of things these days in the msm.it really is criminal.
Report ekbalko July 23, 2020 11:12 PM BST
I was in a Scottish supermarket this week and quite a few not wearing masks.
Report PorcupineorPineapple July 24, 2020 9:05 AM BST
Just been speaking to the doctor's surgery and the planning they're doing for the second wave is a bit scary. It's coming back, there's no doubt.

For me it's simple. Do you want to go through that again? Proper lockdown this time. Cataclysmic damage to businesses. Or do you want to try and lessen it as much as possible.

Just put the mask on for a few minutes and stop your cryarsing.
Report darren_discombobulates_sports July 24, 2020 10:28 AM BST
the problem is, this is already way way too late, lockdown started 4 months ago, since that day everyone has been going to supermarkets to buy food, 120 odd days later we're told to wear masks when we go these places! it's amazing how laughable that is. Why did they not just say this 4 months ago and err on the side of caution regardless of the science.
Report politicspunter July 24, 2020 10:32 AM BST

Jul 24, 2020 -- 10:28AM, darren_discombobulates_sports wrote:

the problem is, this is already way way too late, lockdown started 4 months ago, since that day everyone has been going to supermarkets to buy food, 120 odd days later we're told to wear masks when we go these places! it's amazing how laughable that is. Why did they not just say this 4 months ago and err on the side of caution regardless of the science.

Folks like me that have a partner who is shielding have been wearing a mask outside the house from day one. It's no problem at all.

Report peckerdunne July 24, 2020 12:46 PM BST
It's unhealthy to the wearer PP.

Personally have not worn one and don't want to, if i was working with the public i would.
Report politicspunter July 24, 2020 1:13 PM BST
One person fined for not wearing face mask in Jedburgh shop.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53523574

Looks as though folks have been simply using common sense in Scotland.
Report akabula July 24, 2020 7:57 PM BST
Hundreds spoken to in Edinburgh stores without masks.
This tw4t point blank refused to wear one and was fined.
Train company reports only 50% wearing masks.
Report PorcupineorPineapple July 24, 2020 9:05 PM BST
Went to Morrison's before. Probably about 80-100 people in there; counted two teenagers not wearing and one staff member in the process of putting hers back on. Was pretty amazed to be honest.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com