Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Angoose
07 Jul 20 08:56
| Topic/replies: 24,312 | Blogger: Angoose's blog
Former MP Charlie Elphicke 'chanted I'm a naughty Tory after sexually assaulting woman'
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/charlie-elphicke-chanted-naughty-tory-a4490051.html

A former Conservative MP chanted “I’m a naughty Tory” after sexually assaulting a woman and chasing her around the kitchen to try to slap her bottom, a court heard.

Charlie Elphicke, 50, allegedly talked “suggestively” about silk and leather and suggested he “liked bondage and whips” before attacking the woman in his family home.

It is said he pounced as they shared a bottle of wine, trying to kiss her and plunging his hand down her blouse before she recoiled in “horror”.

Elphicke, the MP for Dover between 2010 to 2019, is then accused of chasing her, Benny Hill-style, around the kitchen as she tried to escape his clutches.

The woman said the politician was “clearly enjoying himself” as he pursued her, and she eventually barricaded herself in a room to get away from him. However Elphicke later put the incident down to a “misunderstanding”.

Elphicke is now on trial at Southwark crown court, accused of sexually assaulting the woman in 2007 and two alleged sex attacks on a different woman in 2016.

Prosecutor Eloise Marshall QC told jurors this morning the woman was sat with Elphicke on his sofa as they enjoyed some wine, while his wife was away and their two children slept upstairs.

“Very quickly Charlie Elphicke pushed her backwards by the shoulder, back against the sofa, placed his knee in between her legs, one of his arms rigid to her side as he was directly above her”, she said.

“He came down to give her a kiss. At the same time he came down, he put his hand into her V-neck tunic dress, reached in and grabbed her right breast and squeezed it.”

Ms Marshall said the woman “immediately said no and pushed him off”.

“She was shocked, the whole incident was completely unexpected”, she said. “She ran off and as she did so Charlie Elphicke followed her.

“As he followed her, he chanted in a sing-song voice ‘I’m a naughty Tory, I’m a naughty Tory’ over and over again as if a school ground chant.

“He was very animated, excitable, and clearly enjoying himself, chanting towards her and slapping her bottom.”

The woman called her sister that night to tell her what had happened, saying she had been groped and “chased round the kitchen”.

Ms Marshall said the sister thought it “sounded ridiculous, like a sketch from a Benny Hill show”.

The alleged attack was reported to the police after Elphicke’s name was included on a published list of alleged Parliamentary sexual abusers in 2017.

A second woman, who worked in Westminster, had also accused the MP of two sexual assaults in a complaint to the Conservative Whips office in 2016.

“Although there is a period of nine years between the allegations, you will hear there are striking similarities of what they describe happening to both of them, what he did to them at the time and how he reacted when they rejected him”, added Ms Marshall.

The court heard the second alleged victim says Elphicke groped her in a Parliamentary office while they were drinking champagne and "giggled" afterwards.

Elphicke denies sexually assaulting either woman, but told police something had happened in 2007 incident when the woman was feeding chocolate stars into his mouth and became “tactile”.

He claimed they kissed and she “responded positively”, but when she said it was not what she wanted he “immediately” stopped.

Elphicke denied asking about silk and leather or describing himself as a “naughty Tory”, insisting the incident was a “regret” and said the woman had asked for £5,000 compensation which he had paid in instalments to avoid his wife finding out.

​He insists that the second woman's allegations are untrue and he was not attracted to her.

Elphicke, of Dover, Kent, denies three counts of sexual assault.

The trial, which is due to last four weeks in front of Mrs Justice Whipple, continues. Shocked
Pause Switch to Standard View How Many Other "Naughty Tories" Are...
Show More
Report politicspunter August 2, 2020 5:26 PM BST
From the bbc...

A Tory MP arrested on suspicion of rape will not be suspended from the party while investigations are ongoing, the party's whips' office has said.

A spokesman said the allegations were "serious" and "it is right that they are investigated fully".

The Sunday Times reported the allegations against the former minister had been made by an ex-parliamentary employee.

The MP, in his 50s, was arrested on Saturday and has since been bailed.

The Metropolitan Police said the allegations related to four separate incidents claimed to have taken place between July 2019 and January 2020.

A spokesman for the Conservative Party whips' office said: "The whip has not been suspended. This decision will be reviewed once the police investigation has been concluded."

This means he can continue to sit in the House of Commons as a Conservative.

Labour said this decision was "shocking" and sent a "terrible message from Westminster".

The Sunday Times, which first reported the story, said the complainant alleges that the MP assaulted her, forced her to have sex and left her so traumatised that she had to go to hospital.

The Metropolitan Police said it had launched an investigation into the allegations.

"On Friday, 31 July, the Metropolitan Police Service received allegations relating to four separate incidents involving allegations of sexual offences and assault," the force said in a statement.

"These offences are alleged to have occurred at addresses in Westminster, Lambeth and Hackney between July 2019 and January 2020.

"A man in his 50s was arrested on Saturday 1 August on suspicion of rape. He has been released on bail to return on a date in mid-August."

For Labour, shadow minister for domestic violence and safeguarding Jess Phillips told Times Radio the MP accused of rape should have the party whip withdrawn while investigations continued.

She said that not doing so was "sending a terrible message from Westminster".

Ms Phillips also said: "I find it shocking… that the Conservative Party has decided not to withdraw the whip in this case."

There are also reports that the Conservative Party's chief whip, Mark Spencer, had been aware of allegations - and previously spoke with the alleged victim.

According to sources, Mr Spencer had not known the "magnitude" of the allegations.

A spokesman for the chief whip said that he took all allegations of harassment and abuse extremely seriously and had strongly encouraged anybody who has approached him to contact the appropriate authorities.
Report Whisperingdeath August 2, 2020 5:32 PM BST
I think withdrawing the Whip when we don't know too much is dangerous. What if she is a fantasist or has an axe to grind? Listen I am not defending the MP, just we do regard innocence before guilt is proved as a human right.
Report politicspunter August 2, 2020 5:35 PM BST
Whispering, I am not saying anyone is guilty. However, the seriousness of the allegations suggests he should be removed from that place immediately. I wouldn't wish my daughter to be his new intern.
Report politicspunter August 2, 2020 7:25 PM BST
Sexual assault conviction
Party suspension
In November 2017, Elphicke was suspended from the Conservative Party after "serious allegations" made against him were referred to the police. Elphicke stated: "I am not aware of what the alleged claims are and deny any wrongdoing."[4]

Please tell me what's different regarding the case of Elphicke and this new case? Why was Elphicke suspended and not the MP in this case?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- August 2, 2020 7:27 PM BST
Maybe he has more money?
Report politicspunter August 2, 2020 7:31 PM BST
Or maybe the PM at the time of Elphickes case had far higher moral standards?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- August 2, 2020 7:45 PM BST
Maybe they doubt credibility of evidence?

He's innocent until proven guilty?

These things can come back to bite if a guilty verdict is reached
or a guilty plea is entered.
Report politicspunter August 2, 2020 7:52 PM BST
The case alleges four separate allegations in different locations over a six month period including at least one rape. The alleged victim had to go to hospital. That surely is good enough for any organisation to suspend the person in question until the matter is resolved?
Report JML August 2, 2020 8:08 PM BST
Would they have to reveal his identity if they suspended him?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- August 2, 2020 8:09 PM BST
You would think so, but they have the advantage over us of having heard both sides.

It's their decision to not suspend him.
Report JML August 2, 2020 8:20 PM BST
The reason why they name people is to encourage other victims to come foward.

I think in this case they have narrowed the field enough without having to name him.

BTW --how many ex cabinet ministers in their 50s are there?

I'm sure someone will have checked the runners.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- August 2, 2020 8:32 PM BST
I think there are 4
Report mafeking August 2, 2020 8:45 PM BST
elphicke had the whip restored just so he could vote for may's hopeless deal
Report politicspunter August 2, 2020 9:03 PM BST
Graham Brady

Mel Stride
Report Shanelee1966 August 2, 2020 9:28 PM BST
What price is CG?
Report JML August 2, 2020 9:43 PM BST
These offences are alleged to have occurred at addresses in Westminster, Lambeth and Hackney between July 2019 and January 2020.

Any help in choosing your favourite?
Report cryoftruth August 2, 2020 10:30 PM BST

elphicke had the whip restored

Oh dear. Oh dear.
Report Capt__F August 3, 2020 12:03 AM BST
is he a free man ?
Report mafeking August 3, 2020 12:41 AM BST
whip was restored so he could vote for may in the no confidence vote
Report Richie_Burnett August 3, 2020 1:02 AM BST

Aug 2, 2020 -- 3:28PM, Shanelee1966 wrote:

What price is CG?

He'd probably spend £100 billion at a brothel with no prostitutes.

Report salmon spray August 3, 2020 9:17 AM BST
I think Richie is correct,Grayling wouldn't be capable.
As it's a woman Fox is a bit of a long-shot as well.
Report Whisperingdeath August 3, 2020 9:26 AM BST
Why would the Whip need to be restored for him to vote for the Government even if he was a Naughty Tory? Strange decision. He could still vote for the Government without the Whip!

I understand what you are getting at btw PP and have heard in a similar circumstance a Policeman would be stood down on full pay but for me this is different because of the public profile. Sheite sticks. Anyone could make an allegation then withdraw it.
Report 1st time poster August 3, 2020 9:41 AM BST
didnt no francois was ever a minister
not certain but probably someone who lost his job in reshuffle but could have been a minister years ago,
and as he,s been protected its a nap he,s a rabid brexiteer, Wink
i,ll have 50p ew on MH ,ew only because i always had him down as more inclined to chase dr fox around the room
Report 1st time poster August 3, 2020 9:41 AM BST
which name has twitter put in the frame, Wink
Report politicspunter August 3, 2020 10:42 AM BST
The Sunday Times reported that the allegations against the former minister had been made by an ex-parliamentary employee.

A spokesman for the chief whip said that he took all accusations of harassment and abuse extremely seriously and had strongly encouraged anybody who has approached him to contact the appropriate authorities.

According to sources, Mr Spencer had not known the "magnitude" of the allegations.

But a report in the Daily Telegraph suggested the woman became frustrated after they spoke that nothing was done.

What sort of "magnitude" does multiple alleged serious sexual assaults come under?
Report 1st time poster August 3, 2020 11:02 AM BST
SHE WOULDNT take hush money for an answer, Wink,
or a woman scorned after an affair etc,etc
Report politicspunter August 3, 2020 11:05 AM BST
If she wanted money she would have gone to the press long before she went to the police.
Report salmon spray August 3, 2020 11:46 AM BST
If there are over 20 possibles it could be argued that they are all in danger of being besmirched.
As has been said it does look like there is one rule for Tory MPs (or some of them) and another for the rest of us. Poor old Cliff was named and shamed and if I remember rightly he wasn't even arrested.
Report 1st time poster August 3, 2020 11:56 AM BST
thats why he,ll be outed shortly by fellow tory,s as their implicated on social media etc in guessing game
Report politicspunter August 3, 2020 12:02 PM BST
Yep, you can bet that multiple news organisations will be contacting each mp/family/friends/neighbours to try and find some dirt.
Report 1st time poster August 3, 2020 12:55 PM BST
person getting a lot of attention on twatter seems to be the holy grail and to much to hope for , maybe she didnt actually read the 518 page withhdrawl agreement in full, Wink,so was punished
Report Akak August 3, 2020 1:20 PM BST
I would have thought some Labour MP would use parliamentary privilege to name him by now.
Report 1st time poster August 3, 2020 1:27 PM BST
daily mail have spoken to his local party members,oifficials,soits ok for trhe media,tory party,and local constituents to keep their wives ,daughters away ftrom him if they choose,but the plebs dont get that choice,absolutely shocking,if the police dont go ahead the ladies going to go to media anyway so any normal innocent bloke would out himself and get his version of evrents out there,and not hope they wake up and its all gone away,its already turned in  to a huge tory party conspiracy
so obvious its a high profile,public face of brexit, would explain why a certain name has been mentioned on this forum of been missing in action since the election as compared to before the election
Report politicspunter August 3, 2020 1:37 PM BST

Aug 3, 2020 -- 7:20AM, Akak wrote:

I would have thought some Labour MP would use parliamentary privilege to name him by now.

Westminster in in recess right now.

Report politicspunter August 3, 2020 1:38 PM BST

Aug 3, 2020 -- 7:27AM, 1st time poster wrote:

daily mail have spoken to his local party members,oifficials,soits ok for trhe media,tory party,and local constituents to keep their wives ,daughters away ftrom him if they choose,but the plebs dont get that choice,absolutely shocking,if the police dont go ahead the ladies going to go to media anyway so any normal innocent bloke would out himself and get his version of evrents out there,and not hope they wake up and its all gone away,its already turned in  to a huge tory party conspiracyso obvious its a high profile,public face of brexit, would explain why a certain name has been mentioned on this forum of been missing in action since the election as compared to before the election

Nothing is obvious.

Report 1st time poster August 3, 2020 2:29 PM BST
the chief whip new of a sexual relationship between the two,
his local party have known him for 25 years and believe his version of events

so his local tory party and chief whip are quite happoy for a 50 odd year old mp to have a sexual relationship with a fellow worker and aid,FFS in this day and age what planet s=are these tory,s on,
elphick who fellow tory mp,s and ministers lobbied johnson to help out,
damien green
fallon,
wheres loathsome all over media if bercow drops a sweetie wrapper
Report politicspunter August 3, 2020 5:32 PM BST
Under Boris, 21 MPs had the whip withdrawn for voting against the Brexit bill. Also under Boris, one of his former minister MPs is allegedly accused of multiple sexual offences including rape but doesn't have the whip removed.
Report 1st time poster August 3, 2020 6:20 PM BST
doris removes party whip for suspected rapist for getting caught LaughLaugh
Report impossible123 August 3, 2020 6:48 PM BST
If the offences allegedly occurred at Westminster, Lambeth and Hackney and the MP was arrested in East London I think one could infer the MP is London based. How many London based Tory MP are in their 50's and was a former Minister? Just a handful surely.
Report 1st time poster August 3, 2020 7:12 PM BST
they all have london bases and access to other properties and one or more could be properties she has access to
Report impossible123 August 3, 2020 8:26 PM BST
Any sex pest esp a public figure eg an elected MP who's been arrested but yet to be charged will need to be outed to encourage others who were possibly victims too of his odious behaviour to come forward. Just because the MPs themselves voted to amend the law identifying one of their own prior in 2016 despite being arrested (but not charged) is contrary to the law accorded to the public.

Why one law for MPs and another for Joe public esp allegation of sexual assaults and rape?
Report politicspunter August 3, 2020 8:40 PM BST
I would bet that the mystery tory mp hasn't posted on his twitter account since Saturday 1st August, the day he spent being interviewed in a police station...
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- August 3, 2020 8:43 PM BST
I doubt police let him post during his arrest, might have
a member of staff to do it for him, if tories havnt removed all
his staffers
Report 1st time poster August 3, 2020 8:48 PM BST
mp,s/tory,s must be very confident it will go no further ,as they,ll just look like their usual incompetent,entitled arrogant kooonts they are,then theyve still got the lady coming out to media
if he,s going to be named eventually anyway which might result in others coming forward ,after he,s cleared,cant see any positives for him or tory,s keeping stum
Report 1st time poster August 3, 2020 8:49 PM BST
i notice  no marital status was released by police,does that suggest he,s single
Report lfc1971 August 3, 2020 8:50 PM BST
It’s fairly certain he’s innocent
Report 1st time poster August 3, 2020 8:52 PM BST
thank you for that insight charlie or was it damien,or michael , LaughLaughLaugh,
innocent of what
bullying
rape
unwanted sexual advances
cohesive control
having an affair
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- August 3, 2020 8:53 PM BST
It's 100% certain he's innocent, at the mo.
Report 1st time poster August 3, 2020 8:54 PM BST
same things were said about kate maltby, do tory,s have a thing about women or just employ all the bunny boilers in uk
Report 1st time poster August 3, 2020 8:57 PM BST
i,m going to ride a white charger for truth and justice before spoending a few years in chokey,aitken
coulson can i have one of the cells kept for tory mp,s,
charlie i,m a naughty it wasnt me tory
Report politicspunter August 3, 2020 9:01 PM BST
"I'll give you two grand" What? An Archer. I want more than that.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- August 3, 2020 9:16 PM BST
Can Boris get the accuser beaten up?
Report 1st time poster August 3, 2020 9:38 PM BST
hamilton
Report lfc1971 August 4, 2020 12:26 AM BST
I should think he is guilty of no more than upholding the great traditional behaviour of a Tory mp
Report politicspunter August 8, 2020 11:44 AM BST
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/whips-knew-of-concerns-about-rape-su...
Report politicspunter August 8, 2020 11:45 AM BST
Whips knew of concerns about rape suspect Tory MP ‘for years’

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/whips-knew-of-concerns-about-rape-suspect-tory-mp-for-years-5vm7ndsc9
Report 1st time poster August 9, 2020 11:33 AM BST
the tory mp,s friends say he,s very chipper preparing his case and answers for the police

there was no case to offer answers to according to this man 7 days ago and all would be revealed as to him been innocent, code for rich tory with money prepares to blindside us with a she didnt swallow etc,etc scenario
Report impossible123 August 11, 2020 1:27 PM BST
Still the MP concerned not named. Why so long? The sooner he's named the sooner he'd be dispatched far far away from the House Of Commons (and his victims), and not sponging on taxpayers fund.
Report 1st time poster August 16, 2020 5:27 PM BST
bailed till november and allowed to work in commons, jess phillips etc if they feel that strongly bound to use parlimentery priv to name him
Report impossible123 August 17, 2020 6:13 PM BST
It's gone uncharacteristically quiet. What is the hold-up? No naming yet despite being arrested by police. I hope this's not been swept under the carpet.
Report 1st time poster August 25, 2020 9:56 AM BST
TORY,S panicing in case he,s named in commons,alleged victim wants an mp,peer to name him,
so its make your mind up time,will the innocent man out himself or wait to be named in commons
Report politicspunter September 15, 2020 1:22 PM BST
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-54161766

Elphicke gets two years in the slammer.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 15, 2020 2:21 PM BST
Tough sentence, I guess reflecting the duty these mps have to uphold the law.

Oh, yeah, wait a minute,...
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 15, 2020 6:59 PM BST
Mark Francois has not attended the Commons for at least two weeks yet in that time has voted nine times.
Another MP has been voting for him as a proxy.
But this is allowed only for new mothers, new fathers, adoptive parents, and medical or COVID reasons.
Which is it? @HoCPress
Report politicspunter September 15, 2020 7:09 PM BST
Oh dear, how inopportune. Tongues will be waggingGrin
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 28, 2020 6:24 PM BST
Court on 11 November
Labour MP Claudia Webbe has been charged with harassing a woman.
Ms Webbe, who represents Leicester East, is accused of one count of harassment between September 2018 and April this year.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said the 55-year-old MP is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on 11 November.
Ms Webbe has said she is "innocent of any wrongdoing" and that she will "vigorously" defend herself in court.
Labour has suspended Ms Webbe from the party and the party whip following the harassment charge, the BBC's political editor Laura Kuenssberg understands.
Report politicspunter September 28, 2020 6:28 PM BST
Quite right to suspend her immediately from the party. If she is innocent she has nothing to worry about.
Report Fatslogger September 28, 2020 8:07 PM BST

Sep 15, 2020 -- 1:09PM, politicspunter wrote:

Oh dear, how inopportune. Tongues will be wagging

Yes. Hard to know what on earth this presumably quite challenging parenting / Covid / medical problem Francois has is doing on this thread, isn’t it? Poor man. I hope nobody is drawing any adverse conclusions. Did I hear he’d also had to give up his role as chair of the ERG because of presumably the same parenting / Covid / medical problem?

Report LoyalHoncho September 29, 2020 9:54 PM BST
The Tories have always been naughty.  Look up Ernest Saunders on wiki.  Still the only man know to ever make a full recovery from Alzheimers disease.  After it got him out of jail of course. Profumo lied to parliament, Aitken convicted of perjury, Archer convicted of perjury,  Elphicke the Groper jailed for sexual assault.
They're a lovely bunch!
Report politicspunter September 29, 2020 10:06 PM BST

Sep 29, 2020 -- 3:54PM, LoyalHoncho wrote:

The Tories have always been naughty.

Report politicspunter September 29, 2020 10:07 PM BST
LoyalHoncho • September 29, 2020 9:54 PM BST
The Tories have always been naughty.  Look up Ernest Saunders on wiki.  Still the only man know to ever make a full recovery from Alzheimers disease.  After it got him out of jail of course. Profumo lied to parliament, Aitken convicted of perjury, Archer convicted of perjury,  Elphicke the Groper jailed for sexual assault.
They're a lovely bunch!

Ernest Saunders was a tory MP?
Report LoyalHoncho September 29, 2020 11:29 PM BST
Ernest Saunders symbolized the get-rich quick explosion of the big-bang generation spawned by hardline Thatcher monetarism who manipulated share prices for private gain.  Only Tories do/did that - MP's or not - or hadn't you noticed.  Are you seriously trying to tell me wasn't a Tory?   Laugh
Report politicspunter September 29, 2020 11:33 PM BST
I can't be certain which way he voted but I am fairly sure he wasn't a Conservative MP.
Report LoyalHoncho September 29, 2020 11:37 PM BST
I didn't say he was a conservative M.P., nor is the thread entitled "Tory M.P.'s, it is entitled Tories.
You really must brush up on your interpretation skills if you are going to have any chance of having your ever-repeated fake news considered by this forum.
Report politicspunter September 29, 2020 11:41 PM BST
Well, to be fair, you are just guessing that he is a tory, aren't you?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 11, 2020 3:39 PM GMT
An MP "threatened" and made "numerous unwanted telephone calls" to a woman, a court has heard.

Claudia Webbe, who represents Leicester East, is accused of one count of harassment between September 2018 and April this year.

Westminster Magistrates' Court heard the details of the charge include making threats "on at least two occasions".

The 55-year-old pleaded not guilty to the charge on Wednesday.

She was granted unconditional bail and her trial will take place at the same location on 16 March.
Report 1st time poster December 13, 2020 12:04 PM GMT
sex pest back in commons with his union jack underpants on this week,no charges
Report 1st time poster January 17, 2021 12:42 PM GMT
SUNDAY MAIL revealing the lady has got a top QC and is her right appealing the police decision to drop case,report saying witnesses wernt spoken to,evidence ignored etc, police asking her to drop accusations
disturbing details of alleged behaviour,

and most obvious question why does a 20 yr old get involved in an affair with a married dwarf who wears union jack undercrackers,
Report 1st time poster January 17, 2021 12:43 PM GMT
if she loses her appeal,she couild go to the papers putting the ball in monsieur,s court
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- January 17, 2021 2:43 PM GMT
The Sunday Mirror says a woman who claims she was raped by a Conservative MP is hoping for a legal review, after police dropped their investigation. In December, the Metropolitan Police said "no further action" would be taken, following a "thorough investigation".

And of course his records were wiped by patels incompetence
last week.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- January 18, 2021 1:05 PM GMT
Labour MP Apsana Begum will stand trial on three
housing fraud charges at the end of July this year.

She denies the three charges and will formally
enter not guilty pleas prior to trial.

Her case has been prioritised to a degree due
to the public interest in the case.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- January 18, 2021 1:06 PM GMT
@kirkkorner twitter^^^
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- June 18, 2021 6:05 PM BST
#Breaking Conservative MP for Wakefield Imran Ahmad Khan, 47, is facing trial accused of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old boy in 2008, it can be revealed after reporting restrictions were lifted
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- June 18, 2021 6:06 PM BST
@PA

twitter
Report saddo June 18, 2021 6:07 PM BST
They'll never learn, Labour will have a fair chance if he gets dumped or jailed  Laugh
Report impossible123 June 18, 2021 8:53 PM BST
The sexual case against the MP from Wakefield was considered so serious the case is being heard at the Old Bailey. Lord Ahmed and his cronies pleaded not fit to stand trial.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- July 14, 2021 8:23 PM BST
An MP suspended from Parliament after sexually harassing a member of his staff has returned to the Commons despite calls to stay away.

Delyn MP Rob Roberts was suspended from the house for six weeks after a panel heard he propositioned a staff member and told him to be "less alluring".

He returned to the Commons on Wednesday after his suspension ended, with a Tory source describing the move as "brazen".

Mr Roberts has not responded to the BBC's request for comment.

The MP had previously said he had apologised for a "completely improper" breach of trust "in the MP-staff relationship" and he would continue to serve his constituency.

He has had his party whip suspended, meaning he returns as an independent MP, but is still a Conservative Party member - which the party has said is "under review".
Report politicspunter July 14, 2021 9:08 PM BST
That Rob Roberts case is as bad as it gets and only through a technical loophole has he escaped being bombed out.
Report politicspunter July 21, 2021 12:57 PM BST
Five Tory MPs found to have breached code of conduct

Five Conservative MPs breached the code of conduct over an attempt to influence legal proceedings, a standards committee has found.

Theresa Villiers, Natalie Elphicke, Sir Roger Gale, Adam Holloway and Bob Stewart wrote letters regarding ex-MP Charlie Elphicke, who was convicted of sex offences.

The letters on Commons notepaper were addressed to senior judges.

Three of the MPs could be suspended from Parliament for one day.

Ms Villiers, Mrs Elphicke and Sir Roger face suspension, while Mr Holloway and Col Stewart have been told to apologise by the Commons Standards Committee.

All five wrote to senior members of the judiciary raising concerns that a more junior judge was considering publishing character references provided for Mr Elphicke.

Mr Elphicke was jailed for two years in September 2020 after being convicted of three counts of assault against two women.

The committee said the MPs' letters amounted to "an attempt improperly to influence judicial proceedings".

It said that "such egregious behaviour is corrosive to the rule of law and, if allowed to continue unchecked, could undermine public trust in the independence of judges."

And it found the MPs' behaviour had "caused significant damage to the reputation and integrity" of the House of Commons.

The committee said of the three MPs recommended for suspension, two had "substantial legal experience" while the third, Sir Roger, is both the longest standing of the group and "still does not accept his mistake".

Totally and utterly abhorrent. Sad
Report Whisperingdeath July 21, 2021 1:26 PM BST
Guy Fawkes!
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 6, 2021 4:22 PM BST
Tory MPs 'asked to spy on randy colleagues' to stop another Matt Hancock scandal

https://t.co/kY26py0TD6

It's only the mirror, but hey ho...
Report politicspunter September 6, 2021 4:28 PM BST
LaughLaugh
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 7, 2021 7:35 PM BST
The mayor of Crawley has resigned after footage was circulated online appearing to show him in a brawl.

Labour councillor Shahzad Malik had faced calls to step down after the incident in July at the Tushmore roundabout in Crawley, West Sussex.

Ending his term early, Mr Malik claimed he was "not a violent man" but had acted in self-defence.

Crawley Borough Council's Conservative leader Duncan Crow said the "appalling conduct" had "shamed our town".

An investigation was launched by Sussex Police after the altercation, which took place at about 14:30 BST on 19 July.

At the time, the force said one of the men had suffered injuries and briefly lost consciousness, before both men left the scene in their vehicles.

Submitting his resignation with "deep sadness", Mr Malik, who also works as a taxi driver, confirmed his involvement.
Report casemoney September 8, 2021 4:35 PM BST
Labour held Councils nationwide ,no problem with thousands of active rapists over the years .
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 10, 2021 7:28 PM BST
An MP has appeared in court to deny sexually assaulting a 15-year-old boy in 2008.

Imran Ahmad Khan, 48, who represents Wakefield in West Yorkshire, faces a single count of sexual assault against the then teenager in Staffordshire, who cannot be named for legal reasons.

Mr Ahmad Khan appeared earlier from his lawyer's office by video link at the Old Bailey.

The MP has been suspended by the Conservative Party.

Mr Ahmad Khan spoke only to confirm his name before pleading not guilty.

He has previously issued a denial to the allegation "in the strongest terms".
Report mad mad moon September 10, 2021 8:39 PM BST
Any updates on the Keith Vaz trial?
Is he well enough to attend court yet?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 16, 2021 12:22 PM BST
Ex-Conservative MP Charlie Elphicke has been released from prison after serving half of a two-year sentence for sexually assaulting two women.

Elphicke, 49, the former Dover MP, was convicted in July 2020 of groping the women, and jailed in September 2020.

He was found guilty of one count of sexual assault in 2007 and two further counts in 2016.

The Ministry of Justice confirmed his release, which The Sun reported was from Leyhill open prison on Tuesday.

During his trial, the jury was told Elphicke groped a woman in his home before chanting "I'm a naughty Tory".
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 27, 2021 4:25 PM BST
An MP has been accused of threatening to use acid against a woman she believed to be in a relationship with her partner, a court has heard.

Claudia Webbe, 56, allegedly became “obsessed” with Michelle Merritt due to her friendship with the Leicester East MP’s partner, Lester Thomas.

Webbe also threatened to reveal naked photographs and videos she supposedly had of Merritt to her family, Westminster magistrates court heard on Monday.

Webbe, who was elected as a Labour MP but has since had the whip withdrawn, denies the charge.

Susannah Stevens, prosecuting, said: “The reason for the harassment appeared to be the fact that Ms Merritt was friends with Lester Thomas and this was an issue for the defendant, Ms Webbe.

“The harassment initially took the form of telephone calls that were made by Ms Webbe to Ms Merritt.”

Made from a withheld number, the calls were silent and of a short duration, the court was told. They tended to occur when Merritt was with Thomas.

Stevens said: “When [Merritt] answered the call, the person on the other end would not respond and would then hang up.”

In October 2018 , Merritt received a call from a number that could be seen. She put the number into the search engine Google, and discovered it belonged to Webbe, the court was told.

“She saw this because the number was available on the internet because Claudia Webbe is a Labour MP and the phone number appears on Labour literature and also a Leicester council website.”

A friend of Merritt asked Webbe to refrain from making calls, but on 31 March 2019, the harassment escalated, the court was told, when she spoke to Merritt.

“Indeed, the crown say that Claudia Webbe was in such a state during this call that not only did she query the nature of the contact and refuse to accept that Ms Merritt and Lester Thomas were just friends. She then went on to say that Ms Merritt was a ‘slag’ and she should ‘be acid’,” Stevens said.

“The defendant further threatened Ms Merritt that naked photographs and videos of her would be sent to Ms Merritt’s children.

“The court will hear that Michelle was, perhaps not surprisingly, caused considerable distress by this call,” Stevens said.

Merritt was so concerned that she called the police and reported the incident but requested that criminal proceedings should not be pursued, the prosecution alleged.

The police spoke to Webbe in April 2019 and said she must not have any further contact with Merritt.

The prosecution alleges that call data shows there Webbe made a further 16 calls to Merritt after April 2019.

Webbe, from Islington, north London, stood in the dock wearing a black suit, to confirm her name, date of birth and address, before sitting next to her solicitor as the case against her was opened. She denies a single count of harassment.

Webbe entered the Commons in December 2019, winning the seat formerly held by Keith Vaz, the Labour veteran who retired from parliament in the wake of a scandal. She was a councillor in Islington between 2010 and 2018 and was a member of Labour’s ruling national executive committee.

Earlier in her career, she was a political adviser to the then London mayor Ken Livingstone. The trial, which is due to last one day in front of chief magistrate Paul Goldspring, continues.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- October 2, 2021 1:12 PM BST
Cleveland's police and crime commissioner has been referred to the police watchdog over a caution for theft he received in the 1990s.

Steve Turner has admitted receiving the police caution while working as a manager at a supermarket.

Middlesbrough Labour MP Andy McDonald used parliamentary privilege to claim he had been sacked by a former employer for "systematic theft".

Mr Turner said he had "voluntarily" resigned and was not sacked.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) said it had received two referrals concerning Mr Turner's conduct from the Cleveland Police and Crime Panel, which scrutinises the PCC's work and decisions.

The IOPC said "any indication a criminal offence may have been committed" by a PCC must be referred and it would then "determine whether the matter should be criminally investigated".

Two referrals were "being assessed to determine what further action may be required from us", a spokesman said.

Police HQ
Image caption,
Mr Turner's elected role oversees the running of Cleveland Police

In an open letter on his social media Mr Turner said he made a "stupid error" and it had been a "minor incident".

He also insisted he had "diligently followed all the rules" governing the appointment of police and crime commissioners.

Mr McDonald said he was unfit to hold office and should step down with immediate effect, the Local Democracy Reporting Service said.

A spokeswoman for Mr Turner's office said: "We extend our full co-operation to the panel and the IOPC and we will assist them with any inquiries they need to make."
Report politicspunter October 19, 2021 12:12 PM BST
Lord Janner: Police shut down MP child abuse investigations - report

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-58932593
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com