Forums

North American

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
therhino
18 Jan 16 06:04
| Topic/replies: 21,562 | Blogger: therhino's blog
Why not start the thread on a Monday. Big winner from last weekend - the American sports media. Won't they just love one battle between Peyton and Tom for the right to go to the big show. They must be salivating and the thought of copying and pasting articles from way back when, should be plenty of time for golf this week.

A little surprised by the early line on the Panthers/Cardinals, was expecting 4.5 based on what we saw this weekend. I missed the Broncos game, but of the other 3 the Cards were by far the worst performing winner and their QB  does not seem a man for the occasion. Panthers second half performance flattered Seattle, they were playing the clock and not the Seahawks. When it was there to be won, they were a cut above. -3 seems wrong.

Can't see the Broncos getting there but they already have a W against the Pats this season, so here's hoping. Can never count out that D at home, but a Pats v Panthers finale looks awfully likely.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 15  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 15 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 591
By:
ClayDavis
When: 18 Jan 16 08:17
I think both will be different games.

Bronco's secondary was sh!t scared of Steelers deep threat and played a lot of soft coverage. They have no deep threat worries this weekend and will be jamming at the line. Pats still have no run game.

Cardinals were poor at weekend but they still won by 6.....and we're winning by 7 until two freak Hail Marys took it to overtime. If you can play badly and still beat a team who played well.

Plus I think the Panthere are get table in the secondary and Arizona have plenty of deep ball threats

Last season the Pats were poor against Baltimore in the divisional game then stepped it up
By:
Swagger
When: 18 Jan 16 11:49
The Packers were playing with their fourth and fifth wide receivers Clay who had barely received throws from Rodgers throughout the regular season! Given how amazing the Cardinals defense is supposed to be they didn't really shut them down and Lacy tore them apart a few times. Sam Shields missed three regulation picks and there was a clear foul by the Cardinals on their touchdown in the fourth quarter which wasn't called. If Shields had caught the last pick then it was a pick 6 and the game was over. People might say ifs and buts yet the only other game last weekend where I saw as many missed picks taken was by the Chiefs against the Patriots which effectively cost them 13 points plus the fumble. Also regarding the second Arizona TD during regulation how lucky was it that the ball got tipped to their player in the endzone! So I can't agree with the casual way you state, oh they still won by 6 as if they were in complete control yet after all that it still came down to a coin toss, they were exceptionally fortunate - the Packers played so well on defense that they forced Arizona off their game as they couldn't hack the pass rush by the Pack.

I think the Broncos defense will get them to the Superbowl as I don't see them dropping the chances the Chiefs did and I don't think the Broncos wide receivers will again drop as many regulation catches as they did yesteday, especially on third downs which for me was the main reason the game was close against the Steelers. In the other game the Panthers should win but Arizona has a chance simply as Palmer finally lucked out in winning a play off game so he has that monkey off his back and can now play loose - they are the underdogs and after the Panthers first half performance yesterday most people will expect him to completely bottle it again after the state of his performance at the weekend. Larry Fitzgerald really dug him out a hole as Palmer didn't have to make any telling throws down the middle in OT.
By:
johnnythebull
When: 18 Jan 16 13:39
looks cut & dried

dream final..pats vs panthers

but oft-times when it appears so simple it rarely is

hear what you're saying re the dropped catches but just because smth egregious has happened doesn't mean smth similar may not happen again rather than the converse
for me,can't see past the pats

cards were well lucky imho..Fitz is class unlike his QB who will have to up his game and leave the nerves behind

Panthers understandably took their foot off the gas after HT but will need to keep their intensity levels up

I was personally of the opinion that they're not quite as good as their record suggests and big cam has a pick or two in him

arizona has to get the jump on them to have any chance and see how the panthers respond to the pressure but i still see them as the likely victors
By:
GoBallistic
When: 18 Jan 16 20:04
I'll be backing both dogs.  NE/Den prices the wrong way round.  The other game is a coin flip.  Arizona went to Carolina in last year's playoffs and really it was only the fact that Ryan Lindley was playing QB that got them beat there
By:
Sudoku_Junior
When: 18 Jan 16 21:17
Really don't understand this Carson Palmer can't win in the play offs theory. He'd started 2 games in the postseason before this weekend and got his knee blown out in one of them, so in reality he is now 1-1. The sample size is far too small to even contemplate Carson Palmers post season record is a factor in deciding the outcome of this game.
By:
themightymac
When: 18 Jan 16 22:13
Pats will destroy Broncos.
By:
therhino
When: 19 Jan 16 05:59

Jan 18, 2016 -- 4:17PM, Sudoku_Junior wrote:

Really don't understand this Carson Palmer can't win in the play offs theory. He'd started 2 games in the postseason before this weekend and got his knee blown out in one of them, so in reality he is now 1-1. The sample size is far too small to even contemplate Carson Palmers post season record is a factor in deciding the outcome of this game.

Tis a fair point, but what we saw last week should provide questions at least. He was a fish out of water and they are here in spite of him, not because of him. The defence he faces this week trumps what got him last week, he just didn't look like a winner to me.

By:
johnnythebull
When: 19 Jan 16 08:39
couldn't agree more
there are winners and losers in life(ok..everyone on Betfair is a winner..that's a givenGrin)
it's very hard to go from the latter category to the former
and it definitely doesn't happen overnight
ypu know what?..i know anything can happen...and especially in the NFL
but i just can't see past comfortable wins for the Pats & Panthers
By:
ClayDavis
When: 19 Jan 16 09:32
God only knows what Larry Fitzgerald (and Brown and Floyd) is going to do to Cortland Finnegan on Sunday......this could get ugly. Panthers had better come up with a plan for that one pronto
By:
Swagger
When: 19 Jan 16 09:36
Agree with the points made by therhino and Johnnythebull - some guys thrive under the pressure and come alive in the playoffs like Joe Flacco and others don't. It is a very small sample size but you would have to worry at how badly Palmer struggled last week given he faces an even better defense on Sunday. That said, as I stated above, he might feel more confident thinking that he could be watching the game at home so plays with less fear of losing.
By:
therhino
When: 19 Jan 16 09:53
I don't think it works like that Swagger. In the 1st quarter sure he may play with more freedom as being on the road and unfavoured may loosen him up. But if it's there to be won in the 4th, all that goes out the window. Can he execute in the 4th quarter? I think he would need bubble rapping and a big, bright orange sticker that reads FRAGILE or the OH&S brigade won't let him on the field Scared

I see no such problems with Newton, born a winner. The main concern for the Panthers is what Clay is referring to, but even if that is the case they have proven themselves more than capable in shoot outs as well. Not discounting Arizona, great team, but at this point of the season a reliable QB is a must - take a look historically at Super Bowl winning QBs by year. Not a whole lot of wobblers listed.
By:
ClayDavis
When: 19 Jan 16 10:38
While I accept what you are saying re bottle, there is a whole world of difference to being a 7pt fav to being  a 3pt dog......also Palmer wasn't all bad on Sunday.....he led the cardinals down the field well to take the lead (OK the final throw was rather lucky). People sometimes see what they want to see.
By:
ClayDavis
When: 19 Jan 16 10:40
Oh and that's not to mention in overtime, when the game is on the line, about to get sacked, he spun out of trouble and threw across his body to the other side of the field to Larry Fitzgerald.
The way people are talking you would think he was Brian Hoyer ffs.
He didn't play well but he also made some good plays.
I reckon you will see much better this weekend
By:
ClayDavis
When: 19 Jan 16 10:55
Brady is 2-6 at Denver....one of those wins was against Teebow so doesn't count. So effectively he is 1-5 in Denver
By:
Swagger
When: 19 Jan 16 13:54
Brian Hoyer! Laugh Fair point Clay
By:
Swagger
When: 19 Jan 16 14:01
Yes I am surprised at how easily some people have written off Denver. The defense is elite and agree with you Clay New England won't pose the same deep ball threats the Steelers did so they will be "jamming at the line" as you put it (love that expression). Granted it was testing conditions but CJ Anderson and Ronnie Hillman rushed for over 150 years when they beat New England earlier this season.
By:
Swagger
When: 19 Jan 16 14:02
* yards not years!
By:
GoBallistic
When: 19 Jan 16 14:17
Palmer is having a bit of a problem with his finger but that should get better each week.  He's been outstanding this season
By:
dlarssonf
When: 19 Jan 16 14:33
Palmer in no way played well against the packers and only for some outrageous luck and Sam Shields deciding to be butterfingers he would have thrown another four interceptions - that's Brian Hoyer Stats.  He is the weak link without a doubt in an outstanding Cardinals team. The win over the packers might do something for his confidence but he is no facing a bigger game on the road so the pressure is higher.

Some people excel under pressure and others fold.  I would have Palmer in the latter. He is going to be eating a lot of grass on Sunday and I except quick throws and mistakes from him. The only thing in his favour is a hall of famer in Larry Fitz who I would love to see get a superbowl Ring!!!
By:
therhino
When: 21 Jan 16 09:49
Geez, 7 days takes a long time to pass when waiting for these games don't it... Cry Bring on Monday already Angry
By:
dlarssonf
When: 21 Jan 16 10:06
Bittersweet rhino - can't wait for the games but then once they are over you know that's basically it for another 7 monthsScared
By:
therhino
When: 22 Jan 16 05:20
Charlotte in a state of emergency. Blizzard about to come through where they are expecting a few inches of ice. Expected to be clear by Sunday but Rivera is making plans for it to be a factor, said it might slow up and linger. Conflicting reports about.
By:
jedi sophie
When: 22 Jan 16 07:01
Will this be in some way against Panthers Rhino?shiity weather?Run the ball whatever way,could affect Palmers long throws which were pretty suspect last week...
By:
therhino
When: 22 Jan 16 08:25
Impossible to say at this point. If the weather doesn't pass and it is Seahawks/Vikings type weather, then yeah, the pass game is made infinitely more difficult. But scoring becomes harder for Carolina as well and it turns into a slugfest, where one big play can win it. So extreme weather could could also be a hindrance. Still, pre-game if asked to say who would benefit from such conditions you would say the team that runs every time. If it is freezing, wonder how Carson's finger will fare with the blood not circulating as normal.
By:
dlarssonf
When: 22 Jan 16 09:03
it's the blood circulating to his brain I would be more worried aboutWink
By:
Swagger
When: 22 Jan 16 11:16
Out of interest, how would you guys price up Denver in the Superbowl against either Carolina and Arizona? Unlike practically everyone else on here i'm pretty confident of Denver beating New England so i'm just thinking if I should back them outright for the Superbowl at what will probably hit 9/2 on here before the game or back them to win at 6/4 and then whatever the odds are in the Superbowl. I think in order to make Denver 9/2 in a double, well given they are around 6/4 versus New England then they would need to be 13/8 in the Superbowl?

My subjective view is that...
Denver defense will make a number of plays and secure a couple of turnovers
As Clay pointed out New England don't have the deep ball threat the Steelers do so the Denver Defense will be "jamming it" on the line upfront in order to try and prevent the quick release by Brady to Gronk/Edelman.
Brady has a poor record at Mile High, 2-6 including 0-2 in the postseason. Further, Those two wins also came against Danny Kanell and Tim Tebow.
Peyton Manning will do an Alex Smith, drive the bus and manage the game - turnover the ball no more than once max.
CJ Anderson and Ronnie Hillman will rush for well over 100 yards probably around 150 yards between them.
Wide receivers like Thomas and Sanders will make more regulation catches especially on key third downs.
If either Gronk/Edelman leave the game early then I don't see the Patriots getting close and they will obviously be targeted with some fierce hits, likely to include some legal blows to the knees.
= job done
By:
dlarssonf
When: 22 Jan 16 11:47
Brady has more touchdown passes this year at mile high than PeytonWink  Although I really rate Denver's defence if they "jam it" on the line upfront , they will be leaving holes for the run game and also give Brady plenty of over the top check downs.  Belicheat is a master of having different plays each week against different looks.

Denver couldn't run the ball against New England a couple of weeks ago either until Dont'a Hightower went off injured ( they had less than 40 yards if memory serves me right ) and for me it's the only way Denver win is having the run game working.  If they do they beat New England they can't be much more than 6/4 to win the superbowl imo
By:
Swagger
When: 22 Jan 16 13:16
It's all about opinions my man and yours are more than fair enough. Yes I thought the same about their likely price for the SB should Denver win.
By:
dlarssonf
When: 22 Jan 16 14:35
Ha yes different opinions are what it's all about pal Cool  oh I might add the patriots not winning is a always a good thing Wink so I hope you are right !!!
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 22 Jan 16 19:21
Swagger fortune favours the brave. If you really think Broncos beat The Pats then you might as well get on them now. If they beat Pats then surely they will look more attractive on Monday and you can lay some back for a free bet.

I think Pats and Panthers will win.
By:
Roger De Bris
When: 23 Jan 16 01:12
The Pats defense was supposed to be injured a lot after the Chiefs game...
By:
DirkDiggler
When: 23 Jan 16 13:20
Denver were lucky to beat a Steelers team missing the best RB in the league, the best WR in the league and also a RB who would be the best back on half the teams in the NFL.

The fumble, the 15 yard penalty (both quite deep in Denver territory in the 4th) and the mind numbing punt decision late on did for the Steelers really. Denver's defense is good, but the Steelers ought to have won this a shade cosy, with a full offense they'd have won by 14.

Manning has no arm left either.

Only the injuries stop NE here, I think when it's a close matchup,  take the better QB - no doubt who that is right now.
By:
therhino
When: 23 Jan 16 21:34

Jan 23, 2016 -- 8:20AM, DirkDiggler wrote:

Denver were lucky to beat a Steelers team missing the best RB in the league, the best WR in the league and also a RB who would be the best back on half the teams in the NFL.The fumble, the 15 yard penalty (both quite deep in Denver territory in the 4th) and the mind numbing punt decision late on did for the Steelers really. Denver's defense is good, but the Steelers ought to have won this a shade cosy, with a full offense they'd have won by 14.Manning has no arm left either.Only the injuries stop NE here, I think when it's a close matchup,  take the better QB - no doubt who that is right now.

The Patriots game is centred on their QB passing, the Broncos game isn't. Denver don't need an equal QB, to win they need to run the ball well and play D. It is no longer Peyton's job to throw for 300+ yards. I think the Pats will win, but don't see Manning as a massive factor. He is just a play caller mainly.

By:
DirkDiggler
When: 24 Jan 16 11:28
If the Bronco's get 10-14 points behind he'll have to become a factor. I don't see the Pats shooting themselves in the foot 3 times in the 4th quarter like the Steelers did who were without 2 'best in the NFL' players and also without an elite backup RB.

Sure, the Broncos will run and run but being one dimensional isn't a plus, as much as I loathe the cheats no-one goes one dimensional better than they do.

Yeah you're right Manning isn't expected to carry the team any more, but that's not a plus point - as we've seen this year he can't do that any more if needed anyway.

BB will game plan to take away what you do best as he always does, so Denver run game is gonna see plenty of 8 man fronts. Who wins that battle?
By:
grayhawk
When: 24 Jan 16 18:33
One bet for me tonight....Pats to cover.

Good luck everyone.
By:
TerryHurlock
When: 24 Jan 16 18:36
been looking forward to this all week,on the pats here
gl all
By:
DirkDiggler
When: 24 Jan 16 18:37
Pats to win.
By:
jedi sophie