Forums

North American

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
d13phe
31 Jul 13 08:31
| Topic/replies: 22,897 | Blogger: d13phe's blog
Anyone interested in starting a new keeper league?

Probably only need about 10 people and I am happy to hold the kitty or ideally delegate that to someone else.

£25 in each.

If we get 10 yes's then we can sort the detail out.
Pause Switch to Standard View New Keeper League - NFL
Show More
Report Lance in France July 31, 2013 10:05 AM BST
I'm in for number 2. Cheers d13phe
Report db1974 July 31, 2013 5:25 PM BST
I'm in too thanks
Report Zach_Thomas54 August 1, 2013 12:28 AM BST
Yes I would be up for it
Report Kingmambo August 1, 2013 1:40 AM BST
Yep count me in.
Report Lance in France August 1, 2013 8:29 AM BST
Half way there

d13phe
Lance in France
db1974
Zach_Thomas54
Kingmambo

5 to go....
Report d13phe August 1, 2013 8:44 AM BST
good stuff. 

10 is the best number I think.

surely Harry wants to get in on the action
Report ahvanbasten August 1, 2013 10:15 AM BST
always wanted to be no.6 Cool
Report d13phe August 1, 2013 10:33 AM BST
d13phe
Lance in France
db1974
Zach_Thomas54
Kingmambo
ahvanbasten
Report B J Ketchum August 1, 2013 4:32 PM BST
I would be interested assuming the draft is on 29th Aug or after as im on hols til then.

Promise i wont give up all my stars for the next big thing like ive done in baseball...
Report Lance in France August 1, 2013 4:35 PM BST
For another new member I'm sure that can be arranged.

d13phe
Lance in France
db1974
Zach_Thomas54
Kingmambo
ahvanbasten
B J Ketchum

3 to go
Report Violencia Fantastico Retardo August 1, 2013 6:36 PM BST
count me in gents
Report d13phe August 1, 2013 7:46 PM BST
im on holiday on the 29th august

what about the 5th September before the first game Grin
Report Lance in France August 1, 2013 7:54 PM BST
That works for me d13phe, but it does cut it a bit fine!

Up to 8 now

d13phe
Lance in France
db1974
Zach_Thomas54
Kingmambo
ahvanbasten
B J Ketchum
Violencia Fantastico Retardo
Report runandskip August 1, 2013 8:06 PM BST
Count me in please. Only 1 required then.
Report d13phe August 1, 2013 8:11 PM BST
d13phe
Lance in France
db1974
Zach_Thomas54
Kingmambo
ahvanbasten
B J Ketchum
runandskip
Report HowieTheRookie. August 1, 2013 10:35 PM BST
Can I take the last space (or 1st reserve) please.
Report Lance in France August 2, 2013 8:36 AM BST
Great Howie, we have 10

d13phe
Lance in France
db1974
Zach_Thomas54
Kingmambo
ahvanbasten
B J Ketchum
runandskip
Howie the Rookie

d13phe, I don't mind acting as treasurer, but also I am more than happy to let you do it. We need to set up the league now. Anyone know how to do that?!
Report d13phe August 2, 2013 9:07 AM BST
Lance

I am happy to delegate:

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/content?page=fflrulesfaq2013

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/welcome/createleague

think these links will help?

for paypal, just put your email down and send invites as and when people send you the cash?
Report Lance in France August 2, 2013 9:10 AM BST
Cheers d13phe. I'll get on it today and update this thread as I progress. My email address for the paypal £25 fee is malcolmsamson@hyfi.co.uk       

What prize structure are we dishing out?
Report d13phe August 2, 2013 9:13 AM BST
top 2

75% and 25%

happy for other input though?
Report Lance in France August 2, 2013 9:28 AM BST
Uncle O has a third prize in his leagues of highest regular weekly points total for the whole season. That gives everyone an interest every week even if they are not in playoff contention. What do you think?
Report d13phe August 2, 2013 9:28 AM BST
good idea
Report Lance in France August 2, 2013 10:03 AM BST
I'm on lunch at noon. I'll set it up then.
Report Violencia Fantastico Retardo August 2, 2013 11:46 AM BST
£25 sent via your email address lance
Report Lance in France August 2, 2013 12:15 PM BST
Payment rec'd VFR, thanks.  We are set up now. League is called Forum Keepers 2nd 11.  If you all sent me your email addresses then I can send you invites. Cheers Guys.
Report Lance in France August 2, 2013 12:20 PM BST
VFR, your invite has been sent.
Report Kingmambo August 2, 2013 2:10 PM BST
Money sent.  Thanks for organising guys.
Report Lance in France August 2, 2013 2:48 PM BST
Rec'd Kingmambo, thanks, and I see you have responded to your invite. Three registered now.
Report d13phe August 2, 2013 2:51 PM BST
money sent

this was a lot easier than I thought.

thanks lance and all for getting involved
Report Lance in France August 2, 2013 3:03 PM BST
d13phe, rec'd and invite sent. We need to select a draft time and date and how the league settings are to be set. At present I think I have it set for 3 keepers. The season is over 13 regular weeks with 4 teams progressing. The championship games are over weeks 14 and 15 combined and the superbowl over weeks 16 and 17 combined. Are league members happy with that or maybe change it as week 17 could be a dead rubber for some starters. Possibly have a 12 week regular season and then go knockout over the next 4 weeks to week 16, leaving week 17 out altogether. Majority decisions rules on the rules!
Report d13phe August 2, 2013 3:16 PM BST
i am happy with that lance (first option)
Report Lance in France August 2, 2013 6:22 PM BST
Ok d13phe, I'm happy with the first scenario play off proposition as well. Not sure about the number of keepers though. When I saw the example of how the league worked they cited 3 for the example. We all have a squad of 16 of which 9 will be starters. I think we need more than 3 keepers otherwise it's not really a keeper league. How about 6 or is that too many (or not enough). Majority decision again please.
Report Kingmambo August 2, 2013 6:25 PM BST
How do the other guys run theirs?  Some online guides say no more than 2 keepers per season but that seems very small to me and kind of defeats the idea of building a team over a number of seasons.  I would say 3 minimum but happy to get advice on it.
Report d13phe August 2, 2013 6:36 PM BST
how about 4?

that sounds a nice nuumber?
Report Lance in France August 2, 2013 10:21 PM BST
Our fellow Forum keeper league has 2 keepers per team, and no player drafted in the first 2 rounds is allowed to be a keeper. Food for thought. Discuss!
Report Zach_Thomas54 August 3, 2013 3:19 PM BST
just the 2... if you have ever played a keeper league before, you will realise that 2 is the way to go!!

email address private messaged to you Lance.
Report Zach_Thomas54 August 3, 2013 3:38 PM BST
and payment sent
Report Lance in France August 3, 2013 3:57 PM BST
Cheers Zach, invite sent. Being a bunch of rookies we need guidance from the vets. If we do go 2, do we use the "not in the first two rounds" rule?
Report Violencia Fantastico Retardo August 3, 2013 4:21 PM BST
how about 3 keepers consisting of 1 rb,  1wr, 1qb
that way there will still be decent top picks out there the following season for the poor guy who auto picks blaine gabbert, percy harvin, Jeremy maclin and Michael crabtree !
Report Lance in France August 3, 2013 6:14 PM BST
How do you feel about that Zach?  5 of us have registered and paid. When we are all in we will get everyones view.
Report Zach_Thomas54 August 3, 2013 9:33 PM BST
I'll go with the majority, but if someone after 1 season ends up with 3 beasts as there keepers, then some of the teams might drop out as they think they got no chance to win the following season. Then you have the hassle of replacing that person and as soon as they see his/hers poor team, they will not take the team.

At least with 2 keepers everyone has much more of a better chance.

I must say though I have never drafted from the beginning of a keeper league, so I am not sure how it works from the start.
Report Lance in France August 4, 2013 9:35 AM BST
By definition it should be for keeps (thats the owners, not the players). If the other forum league has a model that works we should copy it. We need to keep all owners happy and interested year after year.

I propose mirroring the other group entirely following Zach's input. 2 keepers with no player from the first 2 rounds drafted allowed to be a keeper.

With regards to replacing players during the season on a weekly basis on aquisitions and waivers, I have set a $100 per team budget for the season.

Any objections from the other 4 of you registered already and the 5 yet to do so?
Report Kingmambo August 4, 2013 12:28 PM BST
If it works for the other league then happy to follow that model.
Report Zach_Thomas54 August 4, 2013 11:22 PM BST
Whats the $100 limit on waivers?

The other league doesn't work like that as it uses the system whoever drafted last gets 1st waiver pick, whoever drafted last but 1 gets 2nd pick etc. When you finally decide to use your waiver pick, you go to the back of the queue again so it becomes a tactic on taking the best available player that week vs finding an absolute gem in the middle weeks.
Report d13phe August 5, 2013 8:59 AM BST
no objections from me.

can always change it next year if needed.
Report Lance in France August 5, 2013 9:00 AM BST
It's like a silent auction. Whoever secretly bids the highest amount for a player gets him, but you only have your $100 limit to use for the season. Minimum bid is $1.  Again your input sounds perfectly acceptable. The others opinions please.
Report HowieTheRookie. August 5, 2013 11:08 PM BST
Paid.
Any chance of a late night draft (10pm ish)  - we should all be used to late nights as NFL fans.  Or perhaps Sunday 1st, so it doesn't overlap with existing games.
Report Lance in France August 6, 2013 9:15 AM BST
Cheers Howie, invite sent. Only four to accept now. We will sort the date and time when all 10 of us are in. What are your thoughts on the keeper settings Howie?
Report runandskip August 6, 2013 2:45 PM BST
money sent :)
Report HowieTheRookie. August 6, 2013 11:21 PM BST
Happy either way, But if I had to vote I'd go with the $100 budget option, that way everyone has a chance each week to get the 'hot' player on their roster.
Report ahvanbasten August 7, 2013 2:50 PM BST
Money sent, thanks for organising.

I am happy with the 2 keeper and $100 budget options.

Just to complicate matters and annoy everyone can I suggest an auction draft as well Devil
Report Lance in France August 7, 2013 3:08 PM BST
Thanks ahvanbasten, invite sent. That's 9 of us paid and set up. B J Ketchum is the other member and as he asked for a draft date after 29th August it is safe to assume he is away till then. I think it's only fair to give him he opportunity to join then before we offer it to anyone else.

So assuming he does join, we need to agree on a draft date and time. To start the ball rolling, how about Monday 2nd Sept at 9pm?

Also it's time vote on the 2 or 3 keepers and the method of waivers, along with ahvanbasten's auction suggestion. Look forward to hearing from you all........
Report ahvanbasten August 7, 2013 3:20 PM BST
Monday 2nd is good for me Excited
Report ahvanbasten August 7, 2013 3:22 PM BST
.... any time after 7pm
Report db1974 August 7, 2013 8:47 PM BST
Monday 2nd is fine with me
Report HowieTheRookie. August 8, 2013 4:13 AM BST
Monday 2nd spot already taken with current Keepers league.
Report Lance in France August 8, 2013 8:03 AM BST
Thanks Howie, lets move forward to Tuesday 3rd at 9pm. Is that ok for everyone?
Report d13phe August 8, 2013 8:33 AM BST
I cannot do the 3rd at 9pm.

Do we have any people doing the current keepers league doing our league?
Report d13phe August 8, 2013 8:39 AM BST
we could do Sunday the 1st Sept at 9pm?

Orioles's draft is 7.30pm so we could go back to back?

and to be honest doing two drafts at once isn't the most impossible thing to do?

just an idea?
Report Lance in France August 8, 2013 8:45 AM BST
Not a bad one at that. Make it 9.30pm though to give us a bit of leeway.

New suggested date and time - Sunday 1st Sept at 9.30
Report db1974 August 8, 2013 10:35 AM BST
Yeah 9:30 on the 1st Sep is fine with me
Report B J Ketchum August 8, 2013 1:07 PM BST
Apologies for my tardyness guys been away with work.  Is there still a place for me?  If there is then a draft date of 1 sep suits me well.  Let me know and ill send the money over to the address in the earlier posts

stew
Report Lance in France August 8, 2013 1:13 PM BST
Yes there is BJ, we kept it open for you. Thought you were away till later in the month. Send the money to my paypal and I'll send you the invite. We are now a complete 10.

BJ you need to vote on how many keepers in our league and on how to do waivers. See other threads for details. Cheers Lance
Report ahvanbasten August 8, 2013 4:33 PM BST
Sept 1st is ok with me too
Report HowieTheRookie. August 8, 2013 5:15 PM BST
Perfect 9:30pm Sunday 1st. 

Next question - How are you deciding the draft order?
Report Lance in France August 8, 2013 6:06 PM BST
I was rather hoping that I had an option for ESPN to select it at random. I thought I saw that it got set an hour before draft time, but as always I may be wrong. Can anyone shed extra light on it?
Report Kingmambo August 8, 2013 7:12 PM BST
Draw time fine for me.

Yeah should be able to set draw order to random.
Report Kingmambo August 8, 2013 7:14 PM BST
Draw?  Draft.  Watching too much golf. Happy
Report Violencia Fantastico Retardo August 8, 2013 7:35 PM BST
Hi guys, I assume that the espn draft will randomly sort the pick order(assuming that we use a snake draft....here's their definition -
snake - Your league will participate in a live online draft with ESPN's live draft software. Based on a predetermined draft order, each team takes a turn selecting a player in a set amount of time. This type of draft is sometimes called a Snake Draft, as the draft order reverses each round
auction - Your league will participate in a live online auction draft using ESPN's auction draft software. In an auction draft, teams begin with a set budget and take turns nominating players to be auctioned off to the highest bidder.
as it is only a 10 player league, im pretty sure that even the guy picking no's 10 and 11 will still have an awesome team.
9:30 0n Sunday 1st is perfect for me and 3 keepers in a snake draft is my preferred option
Report B J Ketchum August 9, 2013 8:27 AM BST
Money sent via Paypal, says its an echeque and will take 5 days? But ive sent it anyway, let me know if any issues.  Ill have a look at the keeper rules etc and give you my vote
Report Lance in France August 9, 2013 9:13 AM BST
Cheers BJ. Yeah, I see it in paypal, strange!   Invite sent. We are now the complete 10. Draft looks like being 9.30pm 1st Sept. I'll count the votes on the system we use later today.
Report d13phe August 13, 2013 11:35 AM BST
apparently on ESPN if you don't set the order of the draft it does it at random.
Report Lance in France August 13, 2013 12:04 PM BST
Yeah that's right d13phe. I have set it up to be drawn at random about 1 hour before the draft starts.
Report Lance in France December 11, 2013 2:00 PM GMT
Firstly thanks to you all for taking part and extra thanks to d13phe for starting the league in the first place. I hope you all have enjoyed it and will return next year. Things did go pretty smoothly considering our early teething problems and again hope everyone was happy with the structures we eventually decided to proceed with. One of those was to fix the draft order next year manually, based on this years finishing positions. With that in mind the first six places have been confirmed with the other four to be determined based on the playoff results. The draft order for next year so far is...

1) Team Brady
2) South Park Cows
3) Fireman Ed
4) Tora Tora Tora
5) Team Chiefs
6) Attack of the Clowns
7) TBA
8) TBA
9) TBA
10)TBA

Good luck to everyone in the playoffs.
Report Swardean December 11, 2013 2:27 PM GMT