Forums

North American

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
chattykauto
12 Dec 10 21:18
| Topic/replies: 234 | Blogger: chattykauto's blog
What is the "Redzone" feature that they keep talking about on Sky Sports???

At first (somewhat hopeful!) I thought it was the multi-game option when you press the red button like they used to have a few seasons ago, but nope! Nothing when you press the red button other than the usual crap Sky show (Skybet or useless links).

So that leaves the original question - what are they on about when they talk about this new cool feature called the "Redzone"???
Show More
Report Live Forever December 19, 2010 6:56 PM GMT
Rex "getting it done"

Where are all the doubters now?
Report Nilsson Schmilsson December 19, 2010 6:56 PM GMT
no they're nfl fans like me, and i ****ing hate it
Report Lori December 19, 2010 6:56 PM GMT
I think that any in play supertraders will be 100% in favour of this, never seen so many incredible options online at uk books!

I do understand that NFL fans are going to hate it,and actually suspect sky will go back. Fantasy players will probably like it though.
Report Rugbyleaguer December 19, 2010 6:56 PM GMT
Ross I can watch without a bet and enjoy the game, I can't enjoy or watch this!
Report Lori December 19, 2010 6:59 PM GMT
Thanks for that Billies. No idea what they were doing LaughLaughLove
Report tiny dave December 19, 2010 7:01 PM GMT
obvious the forum wont like this due to betting reasons

i think this has potential if as they said they cut down amount coveraged matches which they now seem to be doing

and concentrating on 3-4 key games

we get 4x full games a week without the 6pm match, so hardly drastic guys
Report Hayden December 19, 2010 7:01 PM GMT
Every week I watch the live Sky game on TV but always have Red Zone on the laptop , tonight i've done the same but selected my live game on the laptop via a link , what's the  problem  Happy
Report Rugbyleaguer December 19, 2010 7:02 PM GMT
Lori
Date Joined: 20 Apr 04 Add contact | Send message When: 19 Dec 10 18:59 Thanks for that Billies. No idea what they were doing

37P maxinun bet next time you try place one [;)]
Report Lori December 19, 2010 7:02 PM GMT
tiny dave Joined: 21 Feb 08
Replies: 11585 19 Dec 10 19:01   

obvious the forum wont like this due to betting reasons

Don't understand that at all, this is the best NFL betting week in years thanks to this - it's made all the bookies price everything up and give away free money!
Report Lori December 19, 2010 7:05 PM GMT
37p more than you can ever get on here on a sunday though innit.
Report tiny dave December 19, 2010 7:05 PM GMT
people like to trade lori on here

we cant get any insight in how games progressing and momentum shifts bar watching nfl.com field graph or odd highlight here and there
Report Lori December 19, 2010 7:07 PM GMT
There's never any liquidity worthwhile here though dave, anyone betting NFL was forced to the books as soon as the premium charge came in and forced the money to the 1% site imo.
Report tiny dave December 19, 2010 7:08 PM GMT
they'd be least one coveraged game to trade which had liquidty which is why everyone is moaning

im still open to this tbh, just needs re-gigging a little
Report Ross8481 December 19, 2010 7:08 PM GMT
BOOOOM JAGS
Report grayhawk December 19, 2010 7:10 PM GMT
Not for me this.....turned SKY off, just a stream and nfl.com for scores will do me for the next three weeks.
Report Lori December 19, 2010 7:11 PM GMT
The worst thing is that they need to say the word "redzone" at least 20 times per minute.
Report Ross8481 December 19, 2010 7:12 PM GMT
Sky make the programme for nfl fans, not betfair forumites
Report tiny dave December 19, 2010 7:14 PM GMT
well said ross
Report Lori December 19, 2010 7:15 PM GMT
The response is actually exactly backwards to what I expected (Which is why I'm a gambler not a psychologist I guess)

Thought the fans would hate it and the gamblers would love it.

One thing that's for sure, they won't attract NEW viewers, as you have to have a pretty good understanding to follow this.
Report Rugbyleaguer December 19, 2010 7:16 PM GMT
Ross8481
Date Joined: 07 Aug 08
Add contact | Send message When: 19 Dec 10 19:12 Sky make the programme for nfl fans, not betfair forumites

FFS don't you read respones, we are nfl fans, nothing to do with betting on it, it doesnt work and is not enjoyable for most.
Report tiny dave December 19, 2010 7:16 PM GMT
personally redzone coverage has improved over last 30mins imo

after a very frantic start
Report Kingmambo December 19, 2010 7:18 PM GMT
NFL fans in the main want to watch a game and be able to follow the way the game flows and to enjoy it in context.  This cack is just a glorified highlights show.
Report tiny dave December 19, 2010 7:18 PM GMT
Lori this week their is 4x live full games

plenty chances for new viewers to catch full game
Report Lori December 19, 2010 7:18 PM GMT
In fairness (without checking) this might be the most first half points in the early games all season which has probably added to the speed of it it all.
Report ND47 December 19, 2010 7:19 PM GMT
Ross8481 Joined: 07 Aug 08
19 Dec 10 19:12   

Sky make the programme for nfl fans, not betfair forumites

...Erm ok. I'm an NFL fan, have been since 1998 and I can't stand this Redzone cr@p.

I don't see how anyone be they NFL fan, Super-trader or punter can prefer this format. Yes some of the books may have priced up more games, but you must be pretty good to take advantage of them if you can't watch the games.

This makes punting worse in my opinion at least the 6pm game had full pictures and a good in-play market so if you did see a good opportunity you could take it.

Surely an NFL fan would want to watch a full NFL game?
Report Rugbyleaguer December 19, 2010 7:19 PM GMT
It's actually better for the Paul Merson crack addict gambler, need to get away from this as an excuse for people's opinions.
Report wormster December 19, 2010 7:19 PM GMT
http://www.skysports.com/live-chat - no log in needed. put your views on here. not every message is getting through but they might listen to us if enough of us make our views known
Report onewheel December 19, 2010 7:20 PM GMT
They can get rid of the 3 wise men in the studio now
  surely
Report Ross8481 December 19, 2010 7:21 PM GMT
Cmon Jags
Report Lori December 19, 2010 7:21 PM GMT
This makes punting worse in my opinion at least the 6pm game had full pictures and a good in-play market so if you did see a good opportunity you could take it.

yeah, i just love 108% overrounds and premium charge.
Report Zazen December 19, 2010 7:24 PM GMT
Coming up next...highlights of redzone!

Gee, great. highlights of highlights!!
Report tiny dave December 19, 2010 7:25 PM GMT
lori have you thought about this may attract new fans as well? not in the hectic start (admitedly)

but all my mates say

- its too slow
- adverts every 5mins
- more studio talk than action

with redzone their pretty much getting non-stop action. as i keep saying if they kept it to 3-4matches where you stay on top of "what the hell is happening" then i think it may attract some fans

but if its as hectic as the Q1 was tonight, they'd probably turned off by then on the other hand
Report Rugbyleaguer December 19, 2010 7:26 PM GMT
Coming up...........

'Well redzone seems really popular here are a collection of positive emails'

"Any bad one's Nick?"

"No not one, seems redzone is a success"
Report Monkfish December 19, 2010 7:27 PM GMT
Lori, we don't all have pictures elsewhere.  I only watch on sky like most people here so it is impossible to follow the games.  Extra markets are useless for people like me.
Report Lori December 19, 2010 7:28 PM GMT
I think it'll attract the casuals bigtime dave, not so sure about total noobs.

Why are they showing highlights when there are still games in progress though?
Report Ross8481 December 19, 2010 7:28 PM GMT
Missing giants td...
Report wormster December 19, 2010 7:29 PM GMT
onewheel - I'm thinking that getting rid of the studio is what the Red Zone is all about. Next year, will we have Red Zone for the early & then coverage straight from the States? (assuming there is a season next year!)
Report curlywurly December 19, 2010 7:29 PM GMT
lori's like jean michelle jarre with his space station, 15 laptops and more remarkably 10 sites that he can actually get a bet on with
Report Lori December 19, 2010 7:31 PM GMT
Nick has been dire this year, not sure why but he's not had his heart in this at all, his level of thought process and knowledge is a LONG way down from where it was previously (excellent in the past)

I wonder if they've either brought it in to replace him , or he can't be arsed because of it (either/or).

He's made a lot of sarcy comments about stuff and lost his general good humour imo.
Report Lori December 19, 2010 7:33 PM GMT
Well there's Kev's lipservice to the fact that everyone hates it without actually saying it.
Report Nilsson Schmilsson December 19, 2010 7:34 PM GMT
missing saints and giants TD's to show highlight is pathetic [>o]
Report ND47 December 19, 2010 7:35 PM GMT
Lori Joined: 20 Apr 04
Replies: 26541 19 Dec 10 19:21   

yeah, i just love 108% overrounds and premium charge.

Not sure I get you Lori.

Just noted that the 3 of the current games have overrounds of 103% or less... Whilst NFL Redzone may have improved the overround for some games. I fail to believe that the 6pm live games had overrounds of 108% or more when full pictures were available for Sky viewers... Be interesting to see what the overround for the 9pm game is, I doubt it will be 108%.

As far as paying the PC goes... Well done, sign of success i guess.
Report Lori December 19, 2010 7:35 PM GMT
Yeah, why were they showing Saints highlights when the Saints were driving!
Report Rugbyleaguer December 19, 2010 7:36 PM GMT
C'mon read the emails, don't convenientley forget!
Report Lori December 19, 2010 7:37 PM GMT
Well, they're usually 108% ND, at least when it's not halftime.

I admit i've not looked for a few weeks though so maybe it's improved.
Report Lori December 19, 2010 7:38 PM GMT
Kev's comment about "don't worry, we still have 9pm games" is all they're gonna give you I think.

Clear sign they've had plenty of complaints though.
Report Oh no!! not another Villa fan December 19, 2010 7:40 PM GMT
Kevin "PLEASE SEND IN YOUR EMAILS AND TELL US WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RED ZONE"

Emails read out........... Zero
Report inner city sumo December 19, 2010 7:41 PM GMT
Triple box!
Report Ross8481 December 19, 2010 7:41 PM GMT
Cmon Davvy G
Report Lori December 19, 2010 7:43 PM GMT
A search of "redzone" on twitter seems to show people like it though.
Report inner city sumo December 19, 2010 7:43 PM GMT
Give us decabox! All 10 games at once like the Mosaic channel that used to be on cable Laugh
Report Lori December 19, 2010 7:44 PM GMT
Used to watch 6 games on mlbtv
Report Lori December 19, 2010 7:44 PM GMT
yeah, mosaic, that was it
Report Lori December 19, 2010 7:45 PM GMT
Much "interesting" feedback Laugh
Report Live Forever December 19, 2010 7:46 PM GMT
Going for 4 and 1 in your own half in Q3?
Report Ross8481 December 19, 2010 7:47 PM GMT
REXY REXY REXY LaughLaughLaugh
Report Zazen December 19, 2010 8:03 PM GMT
I'm getting the feeling that Sky are breaking us in gently, and this is all we can expect next year, at least during the regular season.

I'm guessing coverage must be getting more expensive to buy, and that viewing figures aren't what they expect.

Hopefully ESPN and C4 and maybe C5 can take up some of the slack.

I hope I'm wrong though.
Report Lori December 19, 2010 8:05 PM GMT
OMG two failed fumble recoveries
Report Nilsson Schmilsson December 19, 2010 8:05 PM GMT
at least 8 secs ahead on bbc radio online on the saints game than rz was then
Report Ross8481 December 19, 2010 8:16 PM GMT
Jagggs
Report Ross8481 December 19, 2010 8:22 PM GMT
Come on Jagggs
Report Ross8481 December 19, 2010 8:24 PM GMT
ffsCry
Report tiny dave December 19, 2010 8:31 PM GMT
that aint no td lol
Report tiny dave December 19, 2010 8:32 PM GMT
WOW
Report Ross8481 December 19, 2010 8:58 PM GMT
Good finish in Indy
Report tiny dave December 19, 2010 9:15 PM GMT
LEFT EAGLES GAME FFS
Report the nugget December 19, 2010 9:17 PM GMT
That is massive, considering how shtye the Steelers offensive line is.
Report SatelliteFlight December 19, 2010 9:20 PM GMT
why did the d|ckheads leave the Giants Eagles game Cry
Report STEPTOES YARD December 19, 2010 9:20 PM GMT
ffs

why leave that game ffs
Report SatelliteFlight December 19, 2010 9:21 PM GMT
DeSean Jackson LoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLove
Report Saints December 19, 2010 9:21 PM GMT
Giants concede 28pts in the 4th qtr, bad team or bad coaching?
Report Wallflower December 19, 2010 9:23 PM GMT
EEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS[:D][...
Report Wallflower December 19, 2010 9:24 PM GMT
EEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report Ross8481 December 19, 2010 9:25 PM GMT
Laugh
Report alun2005 December 19, 2010 9:35 PM GMT
An interesting mix of comments indeed, and much for Sky to think about. Personally I think the safest ploy would be to scrap the Sunday Night NFL slot altogether, and maybe have a special 2 hour programme whereby Micky Thomas, Phil Tufnell and maybe Jamie Dedkrapp have a get together with Gary Newbon and talk about 'the old days'.

Either that or Sky Sports (years too late) come up with their own rival Songs of Praise programme and go head to head with Aled Jones if they've got the cojo nes to do it. There just aren't enough 'Pretending to like God' programmes on a Sunday.
Report unclerico December 19, 2010 9:55 PM GMT
Betfair Forumites in Failing to Realise That TV Coverage isn't aimed at people betting shock!!

Would you prefer a return to perhaps watching a one-sided game which is as good as over at half-time?

Or what about a return to the old Forces Network?

You don't know you're born chaps.

Anything that limits Cecil's vacuous comments can't be all bad, surely?
Report orioles December 19, 2010 10:03 PM GMT
Ahhh, the old 'Forces Network' days Happy

I enjoyed the redzone. One set of games was enough, but it was fine.
Report unclerico December 19, 2010 10:08 PM GMT
Due to some small fry bets I was a big Browns fan back then, orioles, and I remember the radio reception going just as Ernest Byner dropped the ball going over the Broncos line...took many minutes to work out what had happened - money gone and tears shed for Bernie!

And now we get this rubbish with every touchdown from every game seconds after it happens or (pretty much) liveGrin
Report Nilsson Schmilsson December 19, 2010 10:10 PM GMT
but no sense of drama or watching a great drive unfold, becuase the bengals are at the 15 yd line Plain
Report unclerico December 19, 2010 10:14 PM GMT
Agree to some extent Nilsson although the drama unfolding often includes three sets of ads and Cecil talking inanities we can do without.
Report Lori December 19, 2010 10:15 PM GMT
This is the AFRTS network Europe. You're listening to Parade of Sports.

and now back to our scheduled programing....

Oh ffs, it's the guy with a banjo who gets on the same wavelength every 45 mins and you have to turn the fecking radio around.
Report onewheel December 19, 2010 10:16 PM GMT
don't seem to matter to me - redzone or otherwise, canna win this season - Giants and Cowboys FFS
Report orioles December 19, 2010 10:18 PM GMT
I remember once driving down from the North to London through the night, unclerico, with a couple of colleagues, with me constantly trying to fine tune the radio. By Nottingham, they insisted I give up the driving seat as they were too terrified by the close calls with the central reservation as I muttered something about which lane had the least worst reception.

These fresh-faced kids don't know they're born Mischief
Report unclerico December 19, 2010 10:20 PM GMT
Oh the memories, Lori!  At least once every Sunday all contact would be lost for several minutes and you daren't move the dial in case you never found the buggers again!
Report Lori December 19, 2010 10:22 PM GMT
hahaha yep. Made the mistake of thinking that I could find it with the tuner when reception went way too many times.
Report Lori December 19, 2010 10:24 PM GMT
Let's take five seconds for stations to identify themselves.
Report alun2005 December 19, 2010 10:25 PM GMT
Of course, some of you have had it too easy.

I remember listening to the American Forces Radio coverage of the 1984 World Series won by Detroit Tigers in a freezing cold B&B in Gosport, and trying to listen to a Yankees game in a tres un-chic hovel in St Tropez in 85.
Report Lori December 19, 2010 10:27 PM GMT
Don't suppose any of you other old gits played "Gameplan" play by mail? I've already found a game that I had against another betfair forumite , would be incredible if there were any more.
Report unclerico December 19, 2010 10:29 PM GMT
"Let's take five seconds for stations to identify themselves."

NOOOOOOOO!!!! Don't go all silent on me!

I thought the banjo man was part of the coverage for the first six months.  I learned to hate John Elway through crackles and a barely discernable banjo!
Report Lori December 19, 2010 10:34 PM GMT
I thought the banjo man was part of the coverage for the first six months.

This is only funny to anyone who ever heard it, but I'm nearly crying laughing at that.
Report unclerico December 19, 2010 10:35 PM GMT
Gameplan?

I lay under the bed covers listening to American Football for hours on end, Lori, but I wasn't a sad loserGrin
Report orioles December 19, 2010 10:36 PM GMT
Laugh
Report unclerico December 19, 2010 10:43 PM GMT
Absolutely no post-game show so if the reception went at the end of a close game...tough!
Report grayhawk December 19, 2010 10:45 PM GMT
Around about 873 MW......LaughLaugh you would get about 3 minutes of coverage then the msusic would take over for 2 minutes until it was your turn to get reception again Laugh
Report Lori December 19, 2010 10:51 PM GMT
Laugh uncle

If you didn't know the scores, you could wait 24 hours until BBC teletext got hold of them, or wait until "First Down" came out on, um, Thursday or so.
Report Lori December 19, 2010 10:52 PM GMT
Pleasing to know that everyone suffered the banjo.
Report unclerico December 19, 2010 10:57 PM GMT
"This is the NFL, on Mutual" has just come to mind - what in the name of the wee man was that all about?
Report grayhawk December 19, 2010 11:03 PM GMT
You're listening to AFN europe on Westwood one.....with the distinctive voice of Harry Kalas Love......and the bloke who called the game on 5live sports extra tonight who's still going strong ( don't know his name )
Report Lori December 19, 2010 11:04 PM GMT
I seem to remember a recurring nightmare about the library being part of my heirtage
Report subaru December 20, 2010 8:54 PM GMT
Jack Buck (Joe's father) and Hank Stram, CBS Radio Sports, the iconic pairing of the AFRTS period for me, sat in the kitchen trying to tune in the radio and turning it to 90 degrees to try and improve reception.
Those were the days and you've all brought back a load of memories of Sunday nights.

Loads of college action on their too, I remember listening to 3 bowl games back-to-back one Christmas on the walkman, properly pee'd the relatives off!

Also remember tuning in as I went to bed each night to catch the first couple of innings of whichever MLB game was on, and even one disastrous attempt to listen to coverage of the NFL draft, and all th while thinking the US army just had the BEST life with all that free coverage LOL!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com