Forums

North American

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Onionss
03 Feb 10 22:51
| Topic/replies: 282 | Blogger: Onionss's blog
BASEBALL is nearly back with us.
Pause Switch to Standard View Only 2 months to go....
Show More
Report Mr Lizard February 3, 2010 11:59 PM GMT
actually feels like the off season has flown this time!
Report Onionss February 4, 2010 12:01 AM GMT
Yeah been pretty quick to be fair. Might slow down a bit after Sunday when NFL is finished, but its not log away at all now.

Last season was the first time I really got into it, used to watch the odd game on channel 5, but once I got that mlb package I loved it.
Report Lifetaker February 4, 2010 12:33 AM GMT
Loved playing as a Kid, I was one of the Very lucky - one's Got to play for about 1/2 a day everyday @ school. Only thing was baseball wasn't big in Aus. in those day's
only watched about 2 or 3 game's since the intro of Aliminume bats. ( Yes I can't spell )

now to my main point, What's it like trying to make a Dollar $$,$$$ or 2 Definatelly Not into NBL.
Report Fenway February 4, 2010 2:50 PM GMT
Pitchers and catchers report in about a fortnight. First Spring Training games in less than a month.
Report Ross8481 February 4, 2010 5:41 PM GMT
Come on A's :D
Report Fenway February 8, 2010 7:21 PM GMT
Have those awful gatecrashers gone now?
Report Onionss February 8, 2010 8:48 PM GMT
Thankfully so.

Anyone backed anything this early?
Report tai671 February 9, 2010 5:30 PM GMT
I've retired from baseball betting as it's too much hard work, but I think that the Marlins will give anyone a run for their money at fairly big odds this year.
Report Lifetaker February 10, 2010 12:21 AM GMT
tai671 10 Feb 05:00
I've retired from baseball betting as it's too much hard work,
Thank's, tai671. that's been my Oppion from years back, Too Easy for a " Avelanch " taking All one's money.

But Best of Luck to Those with the Courage.
Report Fru T Bun February 10, 2010 4:40 AM GMT
I'm going to New York for my 40th birthday in June during the subway series - what do you guys think the chances are of getting 4 tickets for any night of the series?

Can't wait to fulifll a lifelong ambition of seeing the Yanks live!!
Report Fru T Bun February 27, 2010 6:47 PM GMT
thanks mate - much appreciated
Report NBK March 2, 2010 11:14 AM GMT
Hi onionss and the rest of the baseball crew - long time no speak

Probably should go and get some calm pills from the quacks before the season starts

NYY - V - Red Sox on night 2 looks tasty

Go Rangers - speak soon
Report tai671 March 6, 2010 11:16 PM GMT
29 days and 50 minutes to go now.

You're nuts betting on spring training though. You'd have to use bookmakers probably as there is never much money on those games here unless they're televised. I think 2430 regular season games plus the playoffs is more than enough without getting started early. ;)
Report NBK March 8, 2010 1:23 PM GMT
tbh tai I just looked at the schedule and thought NYY - v Bos was a game proper - my mistake - I'll get my coat
Report grahamwestleyisthemessiah March 8, 2010 1:38 PM GMT
Blue S quare will stand you a good bet on spring training games. I had 500 notes on 2 spring games last season, no probs. One won, one lost
Report tai671 March 8, 2010 9:41 PM GMT
They might not be so eager to lay you a bet if you've taken a few pounds from them in the past.

Not to worry NBK, I guess you mustn't have been paying much attention to MLB lately then? :^0 There are just so many uncertain factors in these games you really are just guessing. I suppose if you can work out which pitchers are going to pitch, and at this point it's normally only a couple of innings each, you can find an edge. At the end of the day though, no one is really that bothered if they win or lose, so not the best betting proposition.
Report alfie bhoy March 8, 2010 9:58 PM GMT
Hold back the abuse guys but i've watched very little to no baseball and was wondering is it worth getting into? I'm not a cricket fan,enjoy 20/20 but that is all, due to the slow nature of the game (best comparison i could find in euro sports lol). Is the game easy to pick up?

Any polite reply's welcome.
Report SwindonBoy March 8, 2010 10:08 PM GMT
seems to be something people either love or hate so you will have to watch it and decide, takes a fair while to learn what's going on I found, remember the first games I saw i thought wtf is this? but once see a few more and get to know the rules, players etc. i loved it..
Report alfie bhoy March 8, 2010 10:17 PM GMT
Sound like how i felt watching my first few NFL games, now I love it and everything about it. May give it a shot, mate was saying he thinks the Marlins would be a good outside bet for this year, thoughts?
Report tai671 March 8, 2010 10:42 PM GMT
I said the same at the top of the thread.
Report rink rat March 9, 2010 3:55 AM GMT
tai671 09 Feb 11:30

I've retired from baseball betting as it's too much hard work, but I think that the Marlins will give anyone a run for their money at fairly big odds this year.

Was at that place once, is only too much work when you aint making $$$$$$$$$$$.
Report tai671 March 9, 2010 6:38 PM GMT
An element of truth there rink rat, 2009 was less successful than 2006-2008 for me, but that was largely because I could no longer be bothered to put the required effort in. If you're staying up till 6am pretty much every night from April-September/October, you're not seeing much daylight over the course of the year! There are other sports where I can win with much less effort so I'm concentrating on those, plus other interests outside betting. No doubt I'll dabble during the course of the season, but possibly in running rather than my usual before the off - you can get better value bets without having to do the same amount of research. Although the lack of liquidity makes trying to bet in running on MLB a waste of time mostly.

As was mentioned, I do think the Marlins have a lot of players with a high potential upside - if it all comes together they could go close in the NL, although they are in probably the toughest division.
Report NBK March 9, 2010 8:35 PM GMT
No worries tai I was half asleep when I looked at the schedule.

Alfhie boy as previous poster states you either love it or hate it (like marmite).
I love test cricket but dislike 20/20, baseball is a very complex game

Some of my favourite games from last year were when the bum teams were playing - One I remember with great fondness was Washington -v- Philly (probably) totally topsy turvy game and I had no money down.

But other great games are pitcher - v pitcher which are just as good.

Baseball is a top game that gets better the more you watch
Report Fru T Bun March 10, 2010 8:59 AM GMT
Agree also that you either love or hate - however i too took a while to get into it but if you stick with baseball - its an easy game to fall in love with.
Report Onionss March 10, 2010 11:46 PM GMT
Hey NBK, how you been not seen you around in ages. You only follow baseball I guess?

Not long now guys, I simply cannot **ing wait now.

25 days, 17 minutes.....
Report rink rat March 11, 2010 7:42 PM GMT
tai671 09 Mar 12:38

An element of truth there rink rat, 2009 was less successful than 2006-2008 for me, but that was largely because I could no longer be bothered to put the required effort in. If you're staying up till 6am pretty much every night from April-September/October, you're not seeing much daylight over the course of the year! There are other sports where I can win with much less effort so I'm concentrating on those, plus other interests outside betting.

No offence Tai, I used to travel to the U.S. to play the horse racing on totes. By the end it was a grind for me as I was barely matching expenses. Other options were available for me too. (Betfair) Good luck in however you choose to go.
Report tai671 March 13, 2010 12:50 PM GMT
Oh yeah no offense taken rink rat. I know people on here can be very easily offended but I'm not one of them (usually). :D I enjoy baseball, and have had 3-4 years of pleasing profits from it, but I've found ways to make the same money for 10-20% of the work. The all night sessions every day over the summer were killing me, just don't need to do that any more.

Still looking foward to the season, but more from an occasional watching point of view than for betting on every game.
Report SwindonBoy March 22, 2010 6:48 AM GMT
yankees/phillies live on espn america this evening, get a market up betfair pls :)
Report NBK March 22, 2010 12:54 PM GMT
Hiya Swindon - long time no speak, good spot.

Nice start time as well
Report dan33 March 22, 2010 12:59 PM GMT
I've just e-mailed Betfair about this, hopefully they'll put up a market.
Report curlywurly March 22, 2010 1:04 PM GMT
I've phoned as well, I can't see the harm in putting it up
I know it's only meaningless, but there's sod all else on
Report SwindonBoy March 22, 2010 3:05 PM GMT
nowt yet, ill ring
Report dan33 March 22, 2010 3:33 PM GMT
They're obviously not bothered, bit annoying. I see no reason why they couldn't put the market up. Stick it on as Action if they don't know the pitchers.
Report SwindonBoy March 22, 2010 3:54 PM GMT
dissapointing
Report NBK March 22, 2010 4:00 PM GMT
tres disappointing
Report SwindonBoy March 22, 2010 4:01 PM GMT
yankees blown a big lead v the astro's the other day, think these could be trading dreams :(
Report dan33 March 22, 2010 4:03 PM GMT
If they put a market up I'd run it to c. 110% in play, no probs. They've just e-mailed to say they're not bothering though, their loss.
Report SwindonBoy March 22, 2010 4:05 PM GMT
very strange business decision, espn america is all over the world, yankees too, i think there'd be good money matched
Report SwindonBoy March 22, 2010 4:11 PM GMT
yankees lead already
Report dan33 March 22, 2010 4:15 PM GMT
Yanks seem to have a decent batting line-up in. Would hope to see at least one more run in here in the 1st.
Report dan33 March 22, 2010 4:15 PM GMT
But a double play lol.
Report SwindonBoy March 22, 2010 4:16 PM GMT
yeah no jeter or a rod though, thought phillies would win this
Report SwindonBoy March 22, 2010 4:20 PM GMT
phillies 2 run homer
Report SwindonBoy March 22, 2010 4:28 PM GMT
lol burnett
Report SwindonBoy March 22, 2010 4:31 PM GMT
5-1 phillies
Report NBK March 22, 2010 4:31 PM GMT
nice play
Report dan33 March 22, 2010 5:46 PM GMT
What a game to trade this would have been, Yankees lead 7-5 having trailed 1-5 early.
Report tai671 March 22, 2010 9:01 PM GMT
Betfair don't care about baseball, never have and probably never will. I used to turn over quite a lot of money here on baseball but in the end just got fed up with them and took my business elsewhere.
Report Onionss April 1, 2010 12:19 AM BST
Getting excited now
Report Lori April 2, 2010 10:37 AM BST
Got an email from you know where today.

They're dealing -103 all season :^0
Report regular joe April 2, 2010 1:43 PM BST
I don't know where
Report regular joe April 2, 2010 1:46 PM BST
..ah i do now, Pinny. Cheers.
Report tai671 April 2, 2010 8:44 PM BST
Got that email too. If only they'd still take my money. Another identity required I think. ;)
Report Lori April 2, 2010 8:46 PM BST
Interesting tai, ive never known of them closing down winners before, even big ones. Wonder if they've changed policy
Report cunnybobbler April 3, 2010 4:32 AM BST
tai671 02 Apr 20:44
Got that email too. If only they'd still take my money. Another identity required I think. ;)

seriously would a name change by deed poll get around this problem? im banned completely by 3 bookies and limited to pointless amounts with a load others. if i changed my name would they find out its me? would it be a breach of rules and give them an excuse to not pay out on bets?
Report cunnybobbler April 3, 2010 4:33 AM BST
btw when is opening day? have i missed it? bit involved in the soccerball and IPL cricket at the moment, forgot about the baseball.
Report cpfc4me April 3, 2010 5:12 AM BST
Opening day is Sunday 4/4: Red Sox and Yankees
Report tai671 April 3, 2010 6:34 AM BST
I can't get a bet on anywhere cunny. It's probably easier to borrow trusted friends/relatives identities rather than changing your name. :^0 When they find you've got the same date of birth, address and so on, you might have wasted your time.
Report Fenway April 3, 2010 10:42 AM BST
Opening Day is Monday. There is a game (and even in the context of a 162 game season it is a big one) on Sunday night, but Opening Day is Monday, as always.
Report SwindonBoy April 3, 2010 11:22 AM BST
are spring training results totally meanlingless?

just notice the Cleveland Indians are getting great results throughout, they were hopeless last year but interesting..
Report Lori April 3, 2010 1:52 PM BST
Guess the move is to find out why they're getting great results (take a look at who they've faced etc)

There's no other implication in my post, I haven't had chance to look at it at all.
Report SwindonBoy April 4, 2010 6:06 PM BST
well they've beaten enough decent teams etc.
Report Onionss April 4, 2010 10:54 PM BST
Only a few hours folks!!!
Report C.Ronaldo.7 April 4, 2010 11:55 PM BST
Come on the NYY
Report Mr.Ventham April 5, 2010 12:33 AM BST
"Its been a long time"

But we're back folks! :D

Here's to another prosperous long sweltering summers nights/mornings :-)
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com