Forums

North American

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
The Priest
01 Dec 09 16:07
| Topic/replies: 1,362 | Blogger: The Priest's blog
Expect to get shot down in flames for this but in my honest opioion this season is far from a vintage season on ALL fronts.

1) The Sky coverage this year seems to be lacking in something to me, every week seems as flat the proverbial. No spark in the studio, dull matches etc

2) On a betting front its been terrible, every week the handicaps seem to be getting bigger, and before you say " why not back the other team then ... " you simply dare not as the teams getting a handicap start are so bad you cant trust them. For the last few seasons the majority of handicaps have been set at less than a touchdown as the games were competative, not this year.

3) The Teams. When the Patriots went 16 - 0 , a feat previously thought impossible, they did so with a team which was simply unrivalled in all departments, the D was super tough, the O was simply outstanding, never again i would think would we see the like again ( yes......i know about the SB) , this season we have two teams, and one in particular (The Colts) which shouldn't be looking at a 16 - 0 with the way they have both played, the make up of their team etc , this isn't to say that the Colts and the Saints are not good, or haven't been playing well because they have but for these two to be on the money when it comes to 16 - 0 is a joke really, as i said it just about sums up the NFL at the moment.

One problem is the way the draft is incorporated, the Pats have got Oaklands first pick which could well be as high as 4 or 5, even higher, as well as there own 1st round choice? that isn't likely to achieve parity is it?

I'm sorry for the moan but this season, and i hope its not going to be a blueprint for forthcoming seasons, isn't one to shout from the rooftops about.
Pause Switch to Standard View How rubbish is this seasons NFL?
Show More
Report Hayden December 1, 2009 5:13 PM GMT
You may well be correct but tbh who cares . it's remains the greatest sport on the planet and a dip in standard here and there won't change that , it's entertainment that counts for me above all so long may it continue at whatever standard it dishes out.
Report The Priest December 1, 2009 5:18 PM GMT
Thats the problem though isnt it?

Skys coverage has been bland and the games are not competative.

Doesn't matter if its the greatest sport in the universe, seeing teams hammer the @rse off another team every week lowers the entertainmnet value surely?

If Sky showed Chelsea win 5 - 0 against Burnley every week etc how long before it loses its appeal.
Report Hayden December 1, 2009 5:25 PM GMT
Not sure tbh how competitive coverage compares with other years and I suppose you could argue the " bland " sky coverage is an opinion that will differ from viewer to viewer , the comparison to soccer goes over my head sorry as don't follow at all.

looking forward to thursday night though for Jets @ Bills , good luck
Report orioles December 1, 2009 5:26 PM GMT
That's EXACTLY whatthe Premiership has become and why it is ultimately doomed.

I agree broadly with your opening post though, Padre.
Report Hayden December 1, 2009 5:59 PM GMT
The Priest

On reading your post a couple more times it makes more sense by the read tbh , don't disagree with any of the content but it was probably the word rubbish in the thread title that made it look a bit severe , although i'm a full time punter NFL is a sport i'd rather watch and enjoy with no financial interest generally and probably only average around 2 bets a month , maybe that means our expectations are slightly different.

no offence , good write up.
Report The Priest December 1, 2009 6:05 PM GMT
no offence taken Hayden, i do have a tendancy to put words in sentances like that which i regret the very milli second my finger has pressed 'click'

I could watch NFL 12 months a year, like to watch the College games as well, so 'rubbish' is a little harsh i agree.
Report Saluting Darren Lockyer December 1, 2009 6:32 PM GMT
u have a point priest,it's currently a case of the have and the have nots as far as i'm concerned.
There's a huge gulf in class between the top and bottom and i don't believe the teams at the top are anything special,which is a damning indictment on those at the foot of the ladder who imo would struggle to put away the top college teams.
It's a problem for the poor teams and not something that will be fixed anytime soon and certainly not by a couple of drafts,just goes to show how important the general managers are to teams.
As for skys coverage,not as good as it once was,maybe we're all being pushed to nfl gamepass !!
Report Ace High December 1, 2009 6:52 PM GMT
This season seems bland due to the greatness of last years regular season. That was off the wall.

This year has still had its share of crazyness...would rate it 7 out of 10 thus far.
Report themightymac December 1, 2009 7:53 PM GMT
Someone loses money so the NFL is rubbish. Nothing ever changes.

Stop moaning, NFL fans have never had it so good.
Report M-Dawg December 1, 2009 10:04 PM GMT
it might just be me, but the referees must have read through the rulebook after last season, theres flags on nearly every drive now, its ridiculous
Report Lifetaker December 1, 2009 10:12 PM GMT
One person's good luck , IS Another person's bad luck.

I'll say you do have a point re: handcap's, still these thing's happen.

Re Actual game's, I seen some Very good game's & Have Totally enjoyed them. ( wanting more )
The return of Bret favre has been great for the game & the Punter's.
Still love the " Wild Cat & Miami "
And off Course , My Full Proof System is Ticking away quite nicelly

The Best Part of it is ;
It's a REAL-IST"S Season,
The games have gone to those who deserved it on the day.
I was So Feed up, with team's going through the motion's & collecting the Cash.
Roll on - next week ,
Report big-game-player December 1, 2009 11:24 PM GMT
themightymac 01 Dec 20:53

Someone loses money so the NFL is rubbish. Nothing ever changes.

Stop moaning, NFL fans have never had it so good.

you must be on about betting because the tv coverage is awful.. no monday night game.. no game choice on sky.. poor imo
Report enjbenjy December 1, 2009 11:59 PM GMT
Could you imagine the build up the super bowl though f Colts and Saints both reached it unbeaten?
Report big-game-player December 2, 2009 12:03 AM GMT
yeah it would be awesome i agree

but the coverage is pish poor compared to the bonanza of lastyear,..

having no monday night football is cirminal
Report The Priest December 2, 2009 12:23 AM GMT
themightymac - Someone loses money so the NFL is rubbish. Nothing ever changes

i really worry about some people i really do, and there total lack of understanding a simple topic.

If reading a thread and deducing that is what you are capable of god help you in the real world.
Report The Priest December 2, 2009 12:26 AM GMT
when mentioning that the betting front has been terrible i was referring to the actual handicaps been so high due to the standard of ffotball played, this has had the knock on affect on betfair whereby in previous years a strong healthy market was always available early doors for the teasers and the accas's, now the layers are very reluctant upon putting out decent prices because of the near certainty of the games involved.
Report Lori December 2, 2009 5:29 AM GMT
now the layers are very reluctant upon putting out decent prices because of the near certainty of the games involved.

I think you'll find there's a far bigger factor than this.

Layers aren't scared of laying 1.1 shots, they are scared of paying 25% extra on their winnings.
Report Lifetaker December 2, 2009 6:58 AM GMT
Lori has a point,
Report pwallace. December 2, 2009 1:29 PM GMT
dont agree the patriots were a flawless team there defence was nothing special but the offence were as good as anything ive seen. agree the colts arent a special team but they keep winning agree with the sky coverage and miss the red button game. havnt missed jonnie mitchell the last few weeks!
Report Floz December 2, 2009 3:21 PM GMT
i couldn't agree less.

i have found this season to be sensational.

several teams performing well above expectation - cincinnati, denver, dallas, minnesota

several favs pittsburgh, nyg, new england, chicago struggling to a greater or lesser degree.

two teams going toe to toe to be the last unbeaten team

and tennessee, potentially the most amazing story for many seasons.

some people are just never pleased. sky's coverage is an issue but that is not the nfl's fault.
Report FORZA AS ROMA December 2, 2009 3:58 PM GMT
The Priest your a mug, handicap betting is for mugs end of. The Colts dont deserve to be undefeated so far???In the year the Patriots almost went undefeated their D wasnt anywhere near as good as the Colts, ok their offence was better but it evened out
Report Ace High December 2, 2009 5:08 PM GMT
You have just shown yourself up there FORZA.

This years colts better than 07 Pats? Jog well and firmly on son.

Full stats for 07 pats, stats for 09 colts thus far:

2007 Pats Offence - 411 YPG, 36.8 PPG
2009 Colts Offence - 393 YPG, 27.6 PPG

2007 Pats Defence - 228 YPG, 17.1 PPG
2009 Colts Defence - 332 YPG, 16.7 PPG

So not only was their Offence almost 10 points better per game, their D allowed almost 100 yards less in offence per game..

'their D wasnt anywhere near as good as the Colts

I wouldnt be throwing terms like 'mug' about when stating gash like that.
Report Lori December 2, 2009 7:17 PM GMT
07 Patriots ran up the score in several games as a protest against the spygate fine.
Report Don't do chatnames December 2, 2009 7:40 PM GMT
I think this season has been great(being a Viking fan helps)who follows the action on Sky anyway ?ok there's some cack teams about but tha'ts usual,We've also got 2 unbeaten teams,I'm loving every minute ,Don't forget it's a hellova long off-season
Report d13phe December 2, 2009 7:42 PM GMT
i cant wait for the next few weeks

think there is some cracking games in prospect and possibly one of the best post seasons for a while
Report Green Beard December 2, 2009 7:54 PM GMT
agree completely with opening post, one thing i have enjoyed last couple of years is maybe 1 team being woeful or 2, but this year, there is literally 5 or 6 which you can oppose week in week out and not worry about a thing, and on the other side, there is 5 or 6 teams which are simply outstanding against the average teams they are presented against

boring season, i agree, i have enjoyed the bengals being decent, and bloody love the set up the vikings have

also a worrying point is a lot of the low teams have given up draft picks havent they? so it looks like its not going to change for a few years
Report Lori December 2, 2009 8:04 PM GMT
'their D wasnt anywhere near as good as the Colts

2007 Pats had a Defensive DVOA of -5.0%
2009 Colts have -4.8%

So the Pats were possibly beter, but really they're the same.
Report themightymac December 3, 2009 12:09 AM GMT
The Priest

i really worry about some people i really do, and there total lack of understanding a simple topic.

If reading a thread and deducing that is what you are capable of god help you in the real world.

Thanks for worrying about me Priest, I can now go to bed at night knowing that people actually care about others.

I actually gave you the benefit of the doubt, thinking that you had lost more than you could afford and was on a downer, hence the drivel that you posted. However, if you say you haven`t then I believe you and that talking rubbish just comes natural to you.

(1) So Sky coverage is rubbish and all the games have been crap. Well I`ve enjoyed them all (particularly the ones I won money on)and most of them have went right to the wire on the handicap. Two LIVE games on a Sunday and one on a Thursday is terrific coverage of a minority sport. You`re obviously under 30 and like most of the younger generation been spoiled rotten in life. You lot would never have survived the media coverage of the NFL in the 60`s and 70`s with only radio coverage on AFN Europe back then. The reason for the loss of the Red Button games and MNF on Sky is a simple and logical one. Interest in the NFL in this country is minimal and Sky obviously concluded it was not worth the financial investment given the viewing figures. And as for the studio analysts, they are quite brilliant and know more about the game than any of us ever will, even ME. What do you want? A couple of jugglers and a ventriloquist thrown in during coverage!!

(2) This point is the "Daddy" of them all. The handicaps are far too high. What a load of codswallop!! It`s a punters dream to think that the bookies have the handicaps wrong so that one can lump on accordingly. I keep my own handicaps and apart from a couple of occasions when I thought the mark was wrong and whacked them for it, they have been exactly in line with my handicap marks. Do you really think that the bookies would go -6 on Green Bay against Detroit or New England against St Louis so you can back them? If you do, I really wish that you were working for a bookie. They would be out of business within a week, lol.

(3) American Football prides itself in it`s parity when on "Any Given Sunday" any team can beat another and this season, like past ones, the trend remains. Did Oakland, a 16.5pt underdog, not beat the Eagles straight up? Or Kansas, a 14.5pt underdog, not beat the SB winners Pittsburgh straight up? And it`s all down to the NFL Draft which works just as perfectly as it has since it was introduced in 1936. If teams trade their high Draft picks to better teams for a quick** then that`s their fault.

Live games, Betting in running on all games, Internet coverage and information on all teams. We`ve come a long way forward from back in the old days when one`s bets had to be placed on a Saturday (No Sunday Betting Then) and one had to keep up with scores by listening to a crackling old radio!!

For heaven`s sake stop moaning and enjoy the NFL like you are meant to. We`re lucky we`ve got the coverage we`ve got.
Report themightymac December 3, 2009 12:09 AM GMT
The Priest

Thanks for worrying about me Priest, I can now go to bed at night knowing that people actually care about others.

I actually gave you the benefit of the doubt, thinking that you had lost more than you could afford and was on a downer, hence the drivel that you posted. However, if you say you haven`t then I believe you and that talking rubbish just comes natural to you.

(1) So Sky coverage is rubbish and all the games have been crap. Well I`ve enjoyed them all (particularly the ones I won money on)and most of them have went right to the wire on the handicap. Two LIVE games on a Sunday and one on a Thursday is terrific coverage of a minority sport. You`re obviously under 30 and like most of the younger generation been spoiled rotten in life. You lot would never have survived the media coverage of the NFL in the 60`s and 70`s with only radio coverage on AFN Europe back then. The reason for the loss of the Red Button games and MNF on Sky is a simple and logical one. Interest in the NFL in this country is minimal and Sky obviously concluded it was not worth the financial investment given the viewing figures. And as for the studio analysts, they are quite brilliant and know more about the game than any of us ever will, even ME. What do you want? A couple of jugglers and a ventriloquist thrown in during coverage!!

(2) This point is the "Daddy" of them all. The handicaps are far too high. What a load of codswallop!! It`s a punters dream to think that the bookies have the handicaps wrong so that one can lump on accordingly. I keep my own handicaps and apart from a couple of occasions when I thought the mark was wrong and whacked them for it, they have been exactly in line with my handicap marks. Do you really think that the bookies would go -6 on Green Bay against Detroit or New England against St Louis so you can back them? If you do, I really wish that you were working for a bookie. They would be out of business within a week, lol.

(3) American Football prides itself in it`s parity when on "Any Given Sunday" any team can beat another and this season, like past ones, the trend remains. Did Oakland, a 16.5pt underdog, not beat the Eagles straight up? Or Kansas, a 14.5pt underdog, not beat the SB winners Pittsburgh straight up? And it`s all down to the NFL Draft which works just as perfectly as it has since it was introduced in 1936. If teams trade their high Draft picks to better teams for a quick** then that`s their fault.

Live games, Betting in running on all games, Internet coverage and information on all teams. We`ve come a long way forward from back in the old days when one`s bets had to be placed on a Saturday (No Sunday Betting Then) and one had to keep up with scores by listening to a crackling old radio!!

For heaven`s sake stop moaning and enjoy the NFL like you are meant to. We`re lucky we`ve got the coverage we`ve got.
Report jacob_TA December 3, 2009 9:34 AM GMT
Agree that the coverage is terrible, no red button games is the biggest loss for me.
I'm not sure I agree with you about the teams not being that good? I think the Colts have been excellent, some last gasp wins shows real strength. I've been really impressed with their D, especially considering 2 of their best players have been missing for a number of games. I remember the patriots just squeeked past a few teams that season....philly, indy, giants, ravens. The pats that year had the luxury of having a terrible division to beat up in 6 games too. The offence of that patriots team was very good, I think the Saints are as good though. I think they're around the same points total at the moment.
As for the draft and parity, thats a pretty silly comment. The raiders made an awful deal sending their #1 pick for Seymour - thats nobodies fault but Oaklands though.Its their #1 pick in 2011 - not 2010 (next year). You never know, oakland might be good by then
Report FORZA AS ROMA December 3, 2009 11:53 AM GMT
Ace High stats are not everything, they dont account for opponent etc. The Colts defence this year is better that the Pats past imo.
Report FORZA AS ROMA December 3, 2009 12:05 PM GMT
The reason the Patriots tear is so good on D stats is because they were so far ahead teams had to throw on them , and they could leave men deep
Report Lori December 3, 2009 3:32 PM GMT
FORZA AS ROMA 03 Dec 12:53
Ace High stats are not everything, they dont account for opponent etc. The Colts defence this year is better that the Pats past imo.

DVOA does, by definition.
Report jacob_TA December 3, 2009 3:35 PM GMT
To be honest, whose D is better? Its all about opinions when your comparing different season teams.
Teams didn't throw as much then, all sorts of variables. Unless you could get them to play the same team, you'd never know. I don't remember the pats having 2 massive injuries on D that year - with both sets fully fit, I'd give the colts the edge, just my personal opinion though
Report The Priest December 3, 2009 3:56 PM GMT
themightymac

hence the drivel that you posted. However, if you say you haven`t then I believe you and that talking rubbish just comes natural to you

No wish to engage in any ongoing arguement with you, i like to think i'm civilised and people are allowed to have an opioion without getting slaughtered for it if it doesn't actually offend anyone in particular.

However...First off you have made my day by describing me as under 30, crikes nearly fell off the chair but cheers anyhow.

I said i thought the Sky coverage has been BLAND and no way in any shape or form did i mention Sky + Rubbish in the same sentance, so please dont accuse me of saying things that i haven't. Those are your words you have posted not mine.

In previous years the handicaps have in the main been under a TD for each match, this is the clearest indication that the matches have been tight and very close. This season the amount of games that have had a handicap of 14 or 11 or more is to me alarming and a indication of a large gap appearing between the top 8 and the bottom 8. I fail to see how that could upset you as surely it is a fact? not speculation on my part.

I have re read my original post a number of times (and also apologised for putting 'rubbish' in the title) and did say i enjoy NFL in any shape or form (although you make no mention to the post further down) and cant find anything in it that would have anybody use insulting language.

If you feel this season has been up there with the best in all aspects then fair paly to you, if on the otherhand i think it hasn't been up to now then i am allowed my viewpoint surely?
Report themightymac December 3, 2009 5:06 PM GMT
To The Priest

You`ve not upset me mate, I just disagree with you. However, I respect your right to voice an opinion, even if I do think that you are way off the mark. Surely you realise that when one posts such controversial statements, some people are going to disagree with you and respond accordingly. Do you expect everybody to come on and post comments like, "Terrific Post" or "Magnificent Blog" ? We`re not all sycophants and we all have different opinions.

I agree that there is a bigger gap between the top and bottom teams this year, hence the bigger handicaps, but like I said it`s up to us to decide who to bet. However, you`ll find that the biggest percentage of games have been handicapped at 5pts or under.

Chill out man and enjoy the NFL coverage. It`s a lot better than it was back in the Radio days. Good luck with the rest of the season.
Report captaincuttle December 3, 2009 7:30 PM GMT
Personally, I`ve really enjoyed the Sky coverage and the season so far. Colts and Saints are two outstanding teams and a cut above the rest. Some people have said that they have both been lucky remaining undefeated so far, but IMO, to come back in the 4th quarter so often to snatch victory is the sign of a great team (s). Can they maintain such a high level in the play offs, or have they peaked too soon, is the burning question ? From a betting point of view, it`s just as tricky as it has always been, whether one backs the favourite or the underdog, on the Handicap.
Report Lori December 3, 2009 9:27 PM GMT
There were 57 home teams and 16 road teams favoured by more than a TD in 2008
There have been 49 home teams and 9 road teams favoured by more than that in 2009 so far

If you extend that to 11 or more, then the difference is more striking this year, so the bad teams have got worse in relation to the good teams, but in terms of close matches, this year isn't going to be THAT much different to last year
Report Gazzy December 3, 2009 9:50 PM GMT
I don't see what the point about the handicaps is.

If you think they are wrong, bet accordingly.

If you think they are right - then there is no point to make.

I've only been a really big follower for about 3-4 years now and it does seem that this year there are a lot of poor teams. But, as has been said, Oakland have beaten Philly (and could've beaten SD twice), the Chiefs have beaten Pittsburgh, Tennesse could pull off the most ridiculous turnaround of all time and go from 0-6 to 10-6

The opportunity to improve is still there and teams that draft well WILL be rewarded - the Saints were a laughing stock 4 years ago - now look at them. Heck even the Lions look they are finally making some sensible moves and getting a team together that could be competitive in 2 years or so.

Having said that, trading everything for a franchise QB (Chicago) or trading all your offensive talent for nothing (Cleveland) will never be a successful strategy.
Report Lori December 3, 2009 10:39 PM GMT
I don't see what the point about the handicaps is.

In gambling terms nothing, in fact high handicap games often provide great spots for a bet.

In terms of watching on TV, a game where one team is a 16pt dog can often be a bit tedious (see thanksgiving for details).

Personally I don't mind at all but can see why it puts some people off
Report Mr Lizard December 3, 2009 10:50 PM GMT
1) The Sky coverage this year seems to be lacking in something to me, every week seems as flat the proverbial. No spark in the studio, dull matches etc

Agree totally with this, if these clowns spent more time on the analysing the games in a way carlson would instead of there fantasy teams which i don't think anyone bar them gives a ** about then it would improve the broadcast ten fold imo!
Report captaincuttle December 4, 2009 12:09 AM GMT
Yes, stuff their fantasy football which most of their viewers partake in and introduce an "Ask Nick" session for half an hour or so. You know, "What do you prefer for breakfast? Eggs or Toast?". Or "Which ketchup do you prefer? Red or Brown?". Analysing at it`s best!!!!!!!!!!
Report Lori December 4, 2009 12:11 AM GMT
The only celeb. fantasy football piece I heard all season that was even remotely interesting was when Hasselbeck dropped himself and started Favre and then proceeded to be the #1 QB for the week a few weks back.
Report Mr Lizard December 4, 2009 12:19 AM GMT
captaincuttle 04 Dec 01:09
Yes, stuff their fantasy football which most of their viewers partake in and introduce an "Ask Nick" session for half an hour or so. You know, "What do you prefer for breakfast? Eggs or Toast?". Or "Which ketchup do you prefer? Red or Brown?". Analysing at it`s best!!!!!!!!!!

stop trying to be smart, im talking about the rambling on constant for the duration of the game of their own personal achievement each week, they barely mention the viewers scores
Report The Priest December 4, 2009 7:54 PM GMT
themightymac

I think we need to give ourselves a big hug and shake hands, two NFL fans acting like spotty soccer boys ;)

The Sky coverage debate.

I do think Channel 5 seems to have this won hands down, from the presenters to the lighting in the studio to the reviews, all seem to say " its 02.00am and lets all chill and enjoy the moment"

Do agree the fantasy stuff with Sky isn't too hot,, especially if you dont play.

Must have to say i have a confession to make, i thought about it a bit more, re the teams Colts/Saints and realised it was probaley my love of the Patriots and not wanting anybody to match their 16-0 that have made me slightly bias towards them.

sorry.

Still the best sport in the universe bar none.
Report Gazzy December 5, 2009 6:22 PM GMT
I do agree with that

Carlson IS brilliant.

His analysis is top notch - definitely on a level with the US commentators; you barely ever see Nick talking about teams in 2 Deep Zone/Man Zero, or talking about what the Tampa 2 is etc etc
Report Off the toe December 5, 2009 7:29 PM GMT
Not having a choice of games is the issue, end of.....
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com