Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
frank60
25 Feb 21 14:36
| Topic/replies: 4,255 | Blogger: frank60's blog
Tom Foley, one of the gentlemen of Irish racing and trainer of the legendary jumper Danoli, has died at the age of 74.

He had been battling prostate cancer for the last few years, and fittingly his final winner was at his local track when Rebel Gold won the beginners' chase at Gowran Park on Thyestes Chase day last month.

Danoli became the people's horse in the 1990s. He was considered to be the Irish banker at the 1994 Cheltenham Festival and duly obliged in the Sun Alliance Novices' Hurdle under Charlie Swan. He won 17 races, including the 1997 Hennessy Gold Cup at Leopardstown after a thrilling tussle with Jodami. The previous year's Cheltenham Gold Cup winner Imperial Call was a further 20 lengths back in third.
Pause Switch to Standard View Tom Foley r.i.p.
Show More
Report punchestown February 25, 2021 8:55 PM GMT
RIP,who will ever forget Tom and Danoli in that Sun Alliance.
Report monarch February 25, 2021 10:10 PM GMT
Danoli's Sun Alliance win is the first race that i can remember watching, and the reason that i fell in love with the sport. Always kept an eye out for a Tom Foley runner after that, especially at Gowran (Tom's local and indeed mine). In fact i backed his last winner, Rebel Gold, when it won at Gowran on Theyestes Day. RIP Tom.
Report frank60 February 25, 2021 11:12 PM GMT
nice story Monarch    here you go again                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDWXSMyPLig                 1994 Sun Alliance Novices' Hurdle
Report frank60 February 25, 2021 11:13 PM GMT
nice story Monarch    here you go again                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDWXSMyPLig                 1994 Sun Alliance Novices' Hurdle
Report workrider February 26, 2021 10:31 AM GMT
I met Tom at the last Thurles meeting when we were allowed in , he had had treatment and said he was doing fine. RIP Tom, a gentleman .
Report monarch February 26, 2021 1:37 PM GMT
Nice one Frank. It still gives me a tingle no matter how many times i see it.

Unlike you Workrider i never had the pleasure of meeting Tom. But anyone i know who did spoke of the the man in glowing terms. There can be a lot of arrogant people in racing but Tom would not be in that bracket.

Here is a link to some nice words from Tommy Treacy in case any of you haven't spotted it:

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/he-loved-his-horses-not-only-did-he-train-them-he-made-friends-with-them/475151
Report vantastic54 February 26, 2021 6:44 PM GMT
Sad times indeed.Tom and Danoli will long be remembered.Rip.
Report frank60 February 26, 2021 9:07 PM GMT
Very nice monarcy,  says it all about Tom
Report olddesperado February 27, 2021 11:06 PM GMT
From an era I loved  ,   when the small man could mix it at the top table.

Nowadays their isn't a doubt in my mind the horse would have ended up one way or another in one of the two big yards.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com