Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
CALLING CARD
12 Nov 18 23:07
| Topic/replies: 432 | Blogger: CALLING CARD's blog
There is far too much badly attended mid week racing in IRELAND like the crap at Thurles today.
Media rights money is keeping courses afloat and they have no interest in providing either modern facilities or decent racing ,,, Naas is an exception and have gradually improved their track , standard of racing and facilities over the last 10 years
Clonmel Tipperary Wexford and Tramore are lifeless kips
Pause Switch to Standard View MIDWEEK RACING
Show More
Report cloone river November 13, 2018 12:19 AM GMT
Was it the card that was put on at Thurles today you didnt like or the attendance?
Report workrider November 13, 2018 2:21 PM GMT
A very sweeping statement indeed Calling...
Report jimeen November 13, 2018 6:53 PM GMT
Low attendances are the norm nowadays, and there are many many contributing factors . I don’t see any harm at all in having ordinary meetings on midweek , they are better than nothing , and most people couldn’t care less whether there’s anyone there or not.
The biggest disgrace this year has been the non transferral of racemeetings in pursuit of suitable ground . Good to firm is not what National Hunt horses should be racing on at this time of the year . Thurles should have had no meeting  this year , neither should Fairyhouse, and there are others like Gowran Park that were too quick , and even Navan was pretty lively on Sunday , although admittedly , some decent horses did shoe up there. When it’s blatantly obvious that these places will not attract good quality horses , the meetings should be switched . They were able to gallop hundreds of horses in Tipperary last Friday on very soft ground , but they can’t hold a race meeting . Galway should be on 3 days a week at this time of the year, and even Roscommon would be able to hold a meeting or two . But no , not a hope could these prixx in HRI , ever think of doing something sensible , let’s hold these meetings on iron ground and let a whole host of sheepdogs compete against each other .
Report workrider November 14, 2018 11:01 AM GMT
I'll be at Fairyhouse today and will probably have the Grandstand to myself , though Willie and his crew usually come up for a race. Compered to the U.K . we have very small crowds going racing on a daily basis, and I can't see it changing anytime soon. Re switching courses for better ground I'm all in favour, the thing is those courses cannot afford to lose the revenue.
Report workrider November 14, 2018 11:08 AM GMT
Just look at the Decs for tomorrow at Clonmel , shocking to say the least , 5 runners in the big race...
Report CALLING CARD November 14, 2018 9:25 PM GMT
a bit of both really
i agree with  Jimeen yes there is a place for them but day after day its hard work
the flexibility of the irish racing calendar is probably driven by AIR and there unwillingness to adopt change in any way
Workrider i attended today , it was lifeless and the finish of the races is a long way from the stands. at least they have a screen unlike Navan
tracks gain by dividing low grade handicaps
clonmel is another example of bad race planning
Report cloone river November 15, 2018 12:06 AM GMT
Ruby is not helping things at moment.The ride he gave My sister sarah was one of the worst in the last 20 years.To sit so far of the pace at fairyhouse.What was he thinking?They were alot of bad rides today not just at fairyhouse.Aidan coleman and conor o farrell were very poor today.Hard to belief they can get away with it.
Report workrider November 15, 2018 9:54 AM GMT
I posted on a thread over on main forum re Rubys ride yesterday, lots of talk about his role with Paddy been spoken about yesterday at Fairyhouse after the Sister ride...
Report pa lapsy November 15, 2018 10:16 AM GMT
Very seldom at a midweek meeting there isn't at least a few half decent/promising horses these days,so many getting the boat over because they simply aren't good enough to compete in them. I'd tend to agree re the flat though.

Very poor from RW yesterday, i thought he was worse on Quick Grabim myself and only the 2nd last mistake kind of exonerated him to an extent.
Not sure i'd read too much into his PP relationship,morally questioned along with Dettori to lend his name to the scourge of online slot  games imo though.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com