Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
RoyalAcademy
02 Feb 18 11:50
| Topic/replies: 1,355 | Blogger: RoyalAcademy's blog
Dramatic news indeed that Irish racing moves from ATR to RUK from 1/1/19.

I will be interested to see the politics of this within the industry. All rights owned by AIR as I understand it and, according to RP, "negotiations have been ongoing, and, while AIR have it within their power to veto the new deal, it is expected to be ratified at a board meeting next Wednesday."

More tail wags dog?
Pause Switch to Standard View Irish racing broadcasts behind a...
Show More
Report spurs to buy big February 2, 2018 11:56 AM GMT
are u saying ATR own rights and are selling them on for a profit? surely not
Report tony57 February 2, 2018 12:01 PM GMT
this is scadalous..how can ruk show british as well as irish racing? how many split screens can you have..just daft..
Report RoyalAcademy February 2, 2018 12:07 PM GMT
AIR = Assoc Irish racecourses. SIS have bought and own the current rights I understand (until 2022) but I'm wondering what role AIR have in all this. Irish racecourses take all the cash and give nothing back to the game.
Report RoyalAcademy February 2, 2018 12:17 PM GMT
After the New SIS/HRI/AIR deal was announced in 2016 (to end of 2023) the discussion centred around ATR's involvement over the coming years:

The new arrangements will include a review of the future of Irish racing on Direct-To-Home (DTH) television as SIS intends to immediately seek proposals for the provision of DTH coverage of Irish racing from 2017 onwards. This process will be run with the involvement of HRI/AIR.

Gary Smith said: “SIS has committed to HRI/AIR to explore options for the DTH distribution of Irish racing to achieve their objectives and also to consult with HRI/AIR before proceeding with any DTH arrangements. SIS enjoys a close relationship with ATR and would be happy to see Irish racing stay on ATR's channel.”

Brian Kavanagh said: “Whilst recognising that the DTH rights have now been licensed exclusively to SIS, HRI/AIR has been very happy with its current DTH arrangements with ATR and is pleased that SIS has committed to fully explore options with ATR for the future. HRI/AIR look forward to reviewing the options with SIS.”

Matthew Imi, chief executive of At The Races, commented: “ATR has a long standing and important relationship with HRI/AIR and SIS in relation to developing Irish media rights and we look forward to working together to ensure that we all continue to maximise both exposure for the sport and the value of the rights themselves.”

Alas, the promises of love, happiness and fidelity appear to have been derailed.
Report spurs to buy big February 2, 2018 2:31 PM GMT
right ...pretty shortsighted ..with most ITV coverage ending up on ITV4...racing is becoming a real niche sport
Report RoyalAcademy February 2, 2018 3:19 PM GMT
Some random thoughts:

Why is wall-to-wall TV coverage good for Irish racing?

Would it matter if Irish racing gets a far lower profile on RUK?

Could Irish racing remain subscription free in hands of RUK?

Would poor coverage and/or paid-for access bring the on-course back to life?

If Irish racing gets a far lower profile from this deal will this drastically cut the value of TV rights to Irish tracks in future which are under threat anyway?

If, as reported, this deal will be sanctioned by HRI/AIR this week, how long is this development known and how widely was it debated within HRI and the industry at large?

Does it really matter to racing if the only beneficiaries of TV rights are the tracks (too many and too much racing in Ireland anyway?) and the stay-at-home punter? The Irish Tote is hardly contributing a bunch of bananas to the sport currently - increasing turnover in international pools but miniscule margin.
Report norn iron February 2, 2018 3:46 PM GMT
SURELY CANT BE GOOD MOVE FOR IRISH RACING AS GETS GREAT STAND ALONE COVERAGE LENGTHY INTERVIEWS AND EXCELLENT ON ATR    BUT RACING UK  WONT BE ABLE TO GIVE NEAR   MUCH TIME 

ON PERSONAL  NOTE I CERTAINLY WOULD  NOT  PAY FOR  RACING UK   AS ITS GETTING CRAZY  NEED SKY/BT SPORT JUST WATCH SOCCER OR SPORTS
Report frank60 February 2, 2018 5:40 PM GMT
A good article and Vid on the news part of todays Racing post.
Report frank60 February 2, 2018 5:40 PM GMT
A good article and Vid on the news part of todays Racing post.
Report punchestown February 2, 2018 7:55 PM GMT
Terrible news and agree with what Norn says about Irish Racing being very much put on the back burner most days on RUK,surely ATR will struggle to keep going with the few English meetings they currently have.
Report workrider February 2, 2018 10:54 PM GMT
I was speaking to a director of one of our tracks recently and he told me they get over 50,000 a meeting from tv. The question is do RUK have that kind of money to spend. I think this is very much a backward step for Irish racing and it just might be they are killing the golden goose.
Report norn iron February 3, 2018 10:32 AM GMT
THINK ALL SPORTS SELL OUT ON THERE FAN BASE   TAKE GAA  SHOCKED THEY SOLD  THE  GAME TO SKY ? CRICKET AND SOCCER    NOW YOU NEED BOTH SKY /BTSPORT   JUST KEEP  WATCHING I NO FOR FACT KIDS LOST OUT ON CRICKET   AS TV  EXCITES THEM TO EMULATE THE HEREOS

I LOVE THE FACT THE SIX NATIONS  STILL SHARED ON BBC/ITV  YES  CAN ALSO SEE  ODD GAME ON SKY

BUT THIS WILL HAVE  BAD IMPACT  FOR IRISH RACING   IN NEXT FEW DECADES  RHI SHOULD LOOK AT BIGGER PICTURE BEFORE GREED
Report tony57 February 3, 2018 6:05 PM GMT
i can assure everyone punters over here are up in arms..the RP have done a poll 86% are against this on social media its very negative and angry, ROYAL ACADEMY puts up some fair points, my main one is i dont use ruk, (it looks like i will have too) but this will mean irish racing reaches a smaller audience espically going behind a paywall, the rumour is it will go behind a red button like on bbc? that means it will be given less of a roll on the channel as its racing UK!! maybe a new channel? either way its a sad day for racing i pay sky to watch atr..i will now have to pay ruk ..and you can bet the price will not be £20
Report easygold February 3, 2018 9:56 PM GMT
Hi Workrider, SIS pays that fee.
Report workrider February 4, 2018 4:16 AM GMT
Yes Easygold he told me that, point is tracks don't need punters anymore , or so it seems, Hong Kong and others now betting into our pools.
Report easygold February 4, 2018 12:53 PM GMT
But there is no way that will continue...... each betting firm pays to show the pictures in their shop and there is nobody in them to bet in the races. They won`t continue to pay that fee.
Report scamboogah February 7, 2018 4:14 PM GMT
Ruby Walsh said he can personally vouch for the quality of programs produced by RUK. What kind of fools does he take us all for ? He's on their payroll and clearly doesn't care about the concerns of the public or the Irish racing community in general.
Report kavvie February 7, 2018 4:57 PM GMT
ruby dont give a sh1t about the general racing public as he has stated on many occasions..hes taking the moeny off them and saying what hes told to say.    he can personally vouch for the quality of programmes which ruk will produce in 10 months?  ?  has he a crystal ball?!?
Report tony57 February 8, 2018 11:48 AM GMT
shows who has the power now..when fred done carnt stop the course he owns moving..

www.thoroughbrednews.com.au/news/story/fred-done-i-would-have-stopped-chelmsford-switch-to-ruk-if-i-could-103407?section=International
Report roadrunner46 April 13, 2019 6:55 PM BST
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com