Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
workrider
04 Jun 17 21:09
| Topic/replies: 31,465 | Blogger: workrider's blog
Never been to a hurling match,anyone recommend a none top interesting one I could attend to get the feel for it.
Pause Switch to Standard View ...... GAA.....
Show More
Report jimeen June 4, 2017 9:25 PM BST
Maybe you should watch a match on telly first just to get a feel for it. That way when you do attend one you will have a better idea of what's actually going on.
Report workrider June 5, 2017 10:44 AM BST
Watched highlights of Clare and Limerick last night,very good from what I could make of it,maybe others would disagree, I was wondering can you see the ball from both ends of the ground,it looks quite small on the screen and they moved it very quickly,or can you just see it from one end of the ground.
Report Mr Mischief June 5, 2017 9:39 PM BST
Wexford v Kilkenny should be a belter this coming Saturday night. Cody v Davy Fitz(you might find yourself sitting next to Davy in the stands!). Kilkenny are not the force they were but they still have the likes of Ritchie Hogan and TJ Reid. Wexford are reborn under Davy this year and won promotion to Div 1A. They have some marquee hurlers themselves including the likes of Lee Chin and Ciaran McDonald. They are at home, in sizzling form and Davy will be sure to have them psyched to the gills. Kilkenny are still the benchmark but anything around 11/4 for the yellowbellies represents genuine value imo.
Report kavvie June 6, 2017 9:24 AM BST
go down to thurles for waterford v cork.a fascinating clash of stiles.. waterford tight ,intent on defence at all costs.cork free flowing positive and carefree hurlers.   waterford favourites but its a hard call.  akin to mourinho v ferguson 10 years ago!!
Report jimeen June 6, 2017 11:25 AM BST
Gaelic Hurling is a great game to watch workrider and as an Irish man , it's slightly surprising that you have never seen a match. Would you not be aware of the magnitude of the All Ireland series in both codes?,and the importance of the GAA right round the island.
Anyway , as we know you are a big League of Ireland fan , and if you do manage to attend a GAA match , I will prepare you for some of the subtle differences that you may notice.
1. Hurling is played with a smaller ball
2. There could be up to 82,000 at some of these games while the LOI may have a couple of hundred.
3. 99% of the crowd will be employed whereas the LOI fans will invariably be scroungers and dole cheats
4. There will be a member of the guards for every 10,000 people at an average GAA game where the other sport, it's probably closer to man to man.
5. When the GAA match is over the crowd will disperse peacefully, where the LOI mob will break windows, urinate in people's gardens, and loot if there are shops near the ground.
6. And finally should a GAA crowd happen to pass a wake on the way to a match, they will pass it peacefully and respectfully. Some supporters of the other code have been known to urinate and throw empty beer cans in to the garden of the residence where the wake is taking place , before going in and kicking the shhit out of relatives of the deceased.
Just giving you a heads up and preparing you for a few small variances.
Report tobywong. June 6, 2017 11:38 AM BST
brilliant jimeen !
Report workrider June 6, 2017 4:29 PM BST
There I was thinking of heading to Thurles after reading Kavvies description of what was on offer,it seemed like a very interesting game to attend,then low and behold,some lunatic called Jimeen who was the first to respond to my request and seemed like a level headed guy,then goes and shows himself to be a real lunatic,stating 99% of the attendance would be in full employment,well that got me thinking,do the Inland Revenue know about this,from what I've been reading over the past few years,the Irish Farmers are having a rough time of it according to themselves.Jimeen seems to have a contradictory opinion,were EVERYONE in rural Ireland is in full employment.Thurles most have grown into a mighty stadium since I past it the other month.So all these workers will be paying taxes or is it all cash in hand ?. Gardi obviously don't like Hurling if they only attend in such small numbers,and here's me thinking all Culchies loved the hurling,just goes to show how much us Jackeens know eh! so Thurles is devoid of shops is it,and gardens,pity.As regards a wake been disrupted, Thurles sounds like a pretty DEAD place to me.Hopefully the few police that are in attendance will take note of the registrations of these lads as they arrive in the ground,they can then compere notes outside the DOLE office the next day,when these WEALTHY men turn up to sign on in their 4x4s .
Report jimeen June 6, 2017 5:31 PM BST
Workrider, you seem a little rattled. Be careful that you do not drop your mr nice guy act.
Your last post made little or no sense and did you no favours.
The original post on this thread was clearly some sort of attempt at humour and quite obviously mocking the GAA.
The reply you got from me was fully deserved.
Report workrider June 6, 2017 10:30 PM BST
I was NOT mocking the GAA.I was seriously thinking of going to see a game of hurling,I played the Heritage golf club last week with some friends from Tipp,they were very downhearted over the defeat by Cork and as the conversation progressed I found their passion for the game rubbing off on me,to the extent that it would be a good idea to go and watch a game.You started out as if you were going to be helpful,then your hatred of all things LOI showed its ugly face again,and I had to ask myself would I really liked to be sitting beside 82,000 Jimeens,to be honest I started to shudder.Sitting among that kind of hatred would not be good for me or anyone else for that matter.
Report CALLING CARD June 6, 2017 11:46 PM BST
jimeen
we never realised how patriotic you are
great to see your not just a vulture
but hurling is a great sport and more people need to appreciate it
Workrider attend at will
Report peckerdunne June 7, 2017 11:18 AM BST
Best thing is to go to a local senior club Championship game.

Get close and personal, see the cuts and bruises, the pace, the commitment,the skill levels.

Then get down to Nolan park for Kilkenny training sessions.

You will appreciate the game much better than just sitting in a stand somewhere listening to some fella with a cheese and ham sandwich and a can of Lilt shouting gwon Tommy Willie Joe schtick it in to em....
Report CALLING CARD June 7, 2017 10:39 PM BST
hang sammich pecker ya cant bate them with a stick
Report neill d June 8, 2017 12:08 AM BST
For what its worth, Kilkenny are a great bet at around 1/3 I feel, there are levels to this sh!t and a half-decent league campaignn doesn't change that.

Apparently there are some very good hurlers gone through the schools system in Kilkenny in recent years & this hasn't been reflected in their underage results. there are also supposed to be a few Cody held back last year that we might see now. Either way, if Reid or Hogan clicks, Wexford can hold neither.

For those not comfortable playing that short, back KK on the cap.
Report peckerdunne June 8, 2017 1:12 PM BST
Have been backing the cats at 7/2 and the the Dubs at 6/4-13/8 in a outright double steadily for awhile now....

Hope for a few K.
Report peckerdunne June 8, 2017 1:13 PM BST
PS....Have some 6s Waterford as cover..........
Report kavvie June 8, 2017 1:53 PM BST
hard call i think.wex are full of enthusiasm   i think cody will be just happy to get over the line with a view to galway in final and might not reveal everything.the cap while it might come in is dodgy
Report neill d June 8, 2017 2:53 PM BST
I'm going to back Tipp for the hurling, think they just need a kick in the arse & their top gear is a ways ahead of the rest. The forwards they have cannot be held when right and the half-back line will never be so bad again I feel.

Dubs are just about value I agree. They could possibly do with some freshening, the likes of Schutte or Cormac Costello, I think the latter is top-class. The Dubs are great to hold onto the ball & exert control in a game. the all singing all dancing team of two years ago is probably gone now, but still have massive pace and a few top forwards plus McCaffrey is back.

I'm a massive Connolly fan, but he isn't playing great football for a while now & I don't think he is much of a miss at the minute.
Report neill d June 8, 2017 2:56 PM BST
Mayo lads need another forward, pity they'll be bringing this super 8 **** from next yr because Mayo/Kerry/Dublin doing battle will be great games in August, we all know who 3 of the 4 semi-finalists are going to be.

The players are training long and hard, but it is swinging too much in their favour now, no appetite among the public for this round robin ****, club lads will be shafted again too.
Report kavvie June 8, 2017 3:24 PM BST
i thnk dubs are on the way down.they have a lot of it played..hard see tipp coming back from what happened but agree they got some forward line when on song.  ive galway hurlers and kerry footballers backed ..i abandoned mayo after backing them every year snce 1987!!
Report neill d June 10, 2017 9:31 PM BST
Have done my brains there, well done Kavvie, you called it spot-on, Wexford could've won easier even. I could not have gotten that more wrong.
Report tobywong. June 11, 2017 3:54 AM BST
just a magic night in wexford park , whats rare is indeed beautiful !
Report kiddo112 June 11, 2017 11:53 AM BST
Good value bet with Boils today in Offaly Westmeath. Over 35pts is 17/10. EVs with B356 and over 34.5pts is 4/5 with PP.

O'Connor Park is a big pitch, and neither team can defend. Have had a good cut.
Report neill d June 11, 2017 12:08 PM BST
I can have absolutely no complaints anyway, Toby, Wexford were great value for the win, should've been more, even. That Lee Chin is some man to lead an attack, would start centre-forward for any team in Ireland.
Report tobywong. June 11, 2017 12:53 PM BST
an absolute colossus neill and a gent also , a credit to the county and the sport.
Report neill d June 11, 2017 1:25 PM BST
He is indeed, I saw that programme him and Michael Murphy did, they were two lads that were such good athletes, they could've made professional Rugby or soccer or whatever players easily.

Its great for hurling anyway, if not my bank balance, any teams keeping KK and Tipp off top after so many recent final appearances is good. The 2014 final was some game, but don't really think the public bought into it as they had met so often around that time.

4 Leinster U21s recently makes it no fluke, either. Wexford seem to have a lot of size about them as well to go with their hurling. Should be a cracker with Galway.
Report kavvie June 11, 2017 1:57 PM BST
as good as it is for hurling that wexford winning is i feel galway will be too strong for them specially in croke park..galway by over 7.kilkenny scored 1.4 from play which is a very poor return really for a team of their supposed stature.
Report Arklearkle June 11, 2017 4:31 PM BST
Wouldnt be so sure about that Kavvie. Wexford still have about 4 starters to come back from injury. A lot more to come from them.
Report Mr Mischief June 11, 2017 8:09 PM BST

Jun 5, 2017 -- 3:39PM, Mr Mischief wrote:

Wexford v Kilkenny should be a belter this coming Saturday night. Cody v Davy Fitz(you might find yourself sitting next to Davy in the stands!). Kilkenny are not the force they were but they still have the likes of Ritchie Hogan and TJ Reid. Wexford are reborn under Davy this year and won promotion to Div 1A. They have some marquee hurlers themselves including the likes of Lee Chin and Ciaran McDonald. They are at home, in sizzling form and Davy will be sure to have them psyched to the gills. Kilkenny are still the benchmark but anything around 11/4 for the yellowbellies represents genuine value imo.

Ye were told. Wexford are the only side to beat Galway this year but I don't think they can do it twice. Joe Canning is doing some of his best hurling this year and his link up play with David Burke has Galway as deserved favorites for the All Ireland. They are a different beast under Donoghue and have been consistent for a number of years now. Unless they get beset by injuries I can't see them been beaten this Summer

Report peckerdunne June 11, 2017 9:33 PM BST
I will have a little top up on Kilkenny at 9/1 for sure........

Still with the cover on Waterford....
Report peckerdunne June 19, 2017 9:34 AM BST
Waterford fail to live up yet again...I think they will miss the boat unless they change the style.

Great to see Cork play a faster more direct game.

Kilkenny will not be done just yet me thinks.

Hope the draw is kind.
Report Mr Mischief July 3, 2017 7:17 PM BST
Galway now 6/4, should be odds on
Report peckerdunne July 4, 2017 12:35 PM BST
People have short memories...

It's my opinion that Galway at 6/4 is a shocking price.....

Anyway i have topped up on the cats at 10/1 and 9/1 and took a small bit more on Waterford at 11s...

I have seen a little improvement in Kilkenny against Limerick and expect a little more too, which i hope will see them past Deise. Cody is still tinkering due to injuries and lack of this and that but you can see the shape taking place.

Will any of that be enough remains to be seen but get a win against Waterford and the 10/1 will look gargantuan...

Waterford still a good bunch but perhaps the sweeper system has held them back..

Either way ill have a value bet in the last 4...

Galway will let ye all down..............yev bin warnt..Grin
Report neill d July 4, 2017 12:48 PM BST

Jul 4, 2017 -- 6:35AM, peckerdunne wrote:

People have short memories...It's my opinion that Galway at 6/4 is a shocking price.....Anyway i have topped up on the cats at 10/1 and 9/1 and took a small bit more on Waterford at 11s...I have seen a little improvement in Kilkenny against Limerick and expect a little more too, which i hope will see them past Deise. Cody is still tinkering due to injuries and lack of this and that but you can see the shape taking place.Will any of that be enough remains to be seen but get a win against Waterford and the 10/1 will look gargantuan...Waterford still a good bunch but perhaps the sweeper system has held them back..Either way ill have a value bet in the last 4...Galway will let ye all down..............yev bin warnt..

To me, Tipp & clare are the only teams with the class of player to stop Galway.

People will laugh when I say Clare, but look at them from midfield up player for player, if they catch fire, they'd give any team trouble. I can see them beating Cork & giving Nash a hard time on the puck outs, was talking to a guy & he said that will be a central plank of the strategy.

Report peckerdunne July 8, 2017 9:29 PM BST
What an absolutely awful hurling match Cats Deise........

Clash of the ash Daddy, Whats dat?
Report kincsem July 14, 2017 7:29 AM BST
jimeen seems to have a memory lapse about the times GAA fans invaded pitches and attacked the ref, players, rival supporters.
And the players who interfered with linesmen, players who sneak attack players.
Report kincsem July 14, 2017 7:34 AM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc9VY7BKKCw
Report peckerdunne July 14, 2017 1:50 PM BST
Great little clip.So many memories there.Was at the game.........
Report kavvie July 14, 2017 6:43 PM BST
ref seemed to have v little sympath for him wen he was assualted for the 5 th time..like get up theres f all wrong with you!!
Report Catch Me ifyoucan July 14, 2017 6:50 PM BST
All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Dublin 6/4
Kerry 12/5
Tyrone 6
Mayo 9

Donegal 33
Roscommon 33
Monaghan 50
Kildare 50
Galway 50
Down 66
Report Catch Me ifyoucan July 14, 2017 6:53 PM BST
All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship

Galway 15/8
Tipperary 5/2
Cork 7/2
Waterford 6
Clare 20
Wexford 40
Report timberman July 14, 2017 9:25 PM BST
Hard to get away from the front of the market.
Tipp , Galway in Hurling,
Dublin , Kerry , Tyrone in football

Tipp footballers & Kildare plus nine this weekends bets.
Report neill d July 14, 2017 10:05 PM BST
Tipp win the hurling again, starting to comeback to the boil now. Bonner Maher, good interplay between Bubbles and Callanan the last day too.
Report kavvie July 16, 2017 2:54 PM BST
itl be intresting to see what happens with clare and tipp. lots of scenarios.are tipp back united?are clare as bad as they looked against cork?  will tony kelly explode into life? will bonner be the difference? will clare try and exploit tipp supposed lack of pace up the middle?
Report Racingqueen July 16, 2017 5:11 PM BST
jesus wept Kildare are f**king diabolical in the forward line. They have the beating of Dublin if they had anyone of even vague ability in their forward line.....Anyone through 1 on 1 with the keeper and who proceeds to hit it straight at the keeper should never pull on the jersey again....trying for points from midfield ffs and running into crowded defence
Report peckerdunne July 16, 2017 5:45 PM BST
Not impressed with the foul language on TV from that Meath lout...AGAIN.......

Supposed to be a teacher is he not..............
Report peckerdunne July 16, 2017 5:46 PM BST
Clare are a touch big at 20s alright.........
Report olddesperado July 16, 2017 5:48 PM BST
I thought they played very well myself.

Not quiet as slick or street smart as the Dubs but very few are.

That performance would have Kildare ahead of most teams just below the top 3 or 4 in the country.
Report kavvie July 16, 2017 8:06 PM BST
dubs look awesome.they have some panel.when you look at brogan coming on scoring 4 points.
Report peckerdunne July 16, 2017 10:34 PM BST
Who was on here that ridiculed me last year when i said they are the greatest group of footballers ever assembled.
Report peckerdunne July 16, 2017 10:43 PM BST
not to imply it was Kavvie.......i cant remember who
Report winsamsoon July 17, 2017 12:47 AM BST
I wasn't that impressed by the Dubs today, it was easy enough for them to kick points when there was no real pressure put on them. Kerry or Tyrone would have won by a similar margin against Kildare today. If you run down the middle at Dublin they're pretty weak. Murphy did it for Carlow and they'd no answer, when Kildare did it today it was the same story.
Tyrone will run at them in and All-Ireland semi and the forwards won't be getting half a second to get off their shots, I'll be all over Tyrone in that game.
They're good alright, but they've a long way to go to be 'The greatest bunch of footballers ever assembled'
Report kavvie July 17, 2017 12:30 PM BST
well pecker it may have been me.and im still not convinced!!  they beat mayo by a point after a replay last year with mayo missing a chance to draw it at the death.incidentally it shouldnt have gone to a replay as mayo were denied a free in the last play of the game when fitzsimmons blatantly picked the ball of the ground..they also beat kerry in fortunate circumstances in 2011. as stated above they are good but maybe not greatest..yet.greater tests lie ahead for them than an honest but limited kildare,who scored 1.17
Report Mr Mischief August 7, 2017 4:28 PM BST
Galway now long odds on, hope ye took the value while it was there
Report Mr Mischief September 6, 2017 9:50 PM BST
How did this turn out in the end?Excited
Report peckerdunne September 6, 2017 10:44 PM BST
Yes Workrider, how did it work out?....Grin
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 19, 2020 2:03 PM GMT
TODAY - AIB Club Senior Hurling Final: Borrisoleigh vs Ballyhale
The two best hurlers in the land right now, Brendan Maher & TJ Reid, are about to go head to head, live on TG4.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 19, 2020 2:19 PM GMT
"Great point...milked 60 cows this morning" Laugh
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 25, 2020 7:42 PM GMT
Jesus that Kerry lad DAVID CLIFFORD scored something goal there (Dubs vs Kerry in Croker).,,,, how he’s not yet in Australia is beyond belief.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 25, 2020 7:42 PM GMT
*some
Report peckerdunne January 25, 2020 8:14 PM GMT
some goal, some talent...........

Dubs still the greatest squad ever assembled, can't be disputed.

Fenton is class..........
Report peckerdunne January 25, 2020 8:16 PM GMT
Now, why is some WOMAN on my box telling me how to play county football, such bollox, as if a female presenter wasn't enough..

Now sure look ah come here.........is that what she calls analysis....
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 25, 2020 8:17 PM GMT
The drive for SIX-IN-A-ROW well underway
Report peckerdunne January 25, 2020 8:18 PM GMT
The fix for six Laugh 7 would be heaven
Report peckerdunne January 25, 2020 8:18 PM GMT
thanks for the 2.44 layers...............
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 25, 2020 8:20 PM GMT
43,502 (paid in) for a Saturday nite in Croker in January Devil
Report peckerdunne January 25, 2020 8:47 PM GMT
what a farce its become this Aussie rules gaelic footie

ill have to switch over to hear Brolly
Report peckerdunne January 25, 2020 9:09 PM GMT
Extra time ref, you are joking........10 minutes from nowhere.........

Can't touch a player now without a foul given........

Thank god for hurling
Report frank60 January 25, 2020 10:45 PM GMT
The tackle rule [ if there is one] leaves me Confused, just as well theres no VAR , they would be still playing.
Report olddesperado February 9, 2020 12:41 AM GMT
Another absolute farce.

6 minutes was bad enough but to go 3 over that stretched credibility.

Throw in the amount of times Dublin were given an advantage and called back if it wasn't coming.

Monaghan broke clear 4 mins into injury but he blew it up to give them a free 70 yards out.

It's no wonder refs get so much stick the cowardly bastards.
Report olddesperado February 9, 2020 12:48 AM GMT
Dublin have enough advantage without external help.

It doesn't enhance the game.

I didn't bother watching the first half and only watched the second because if the ht scoreline.

I won't bother again as like the Kerry game and again today it's not ending until Dublin get level or ahead.

Shameful and destroys the credibility of the organisation and the game.

And I'm neutral ( kildare )
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com