Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
frank60
11 Sep 16 20:03
| Topic/replies: 4,262 | Blogger: frank60's blog
BROTHERS Joseph and Donnacha O'Brien teamed up to land their first Group 1 win as trainer and rider with Intricately - and in turn denied father Aidan O'Brien an eighth Moyglare Stud Stakes win since the turn of the millennium with Hydrangea a narrow second.

A nail-biting finish for the O'Brien family ensued with Hydrangea gamely attempting to make all, and it looked likely until the final strides when 25-1 shot Intricately got the better of the front runner by a short head.    also hard to believe that Aiden is still in his mid 40s with all the success he,s had, looks like the O Brien Dynasty will be around for years to come.

Joseph O'Brien said: "It means the world to me. It's also Donnacha's first Group 1 win too and Mum bred her as well, so it's just unbelievable."
Pause Switch to Standard View The remarkable O Brien Family
Show More
Report Biffo2010 September 14, 2016 12:21 AM BST
Well Aidan how are u..
Report peckerdunne September 14, 2016 2:58 PM BST
Well done Frank.Well done to the O'Brien's.

Typically Irish such fantastic talent and achievement gets begrudgers more than praise.
Report frank60 September 14, 2016 7:07 PM BST
Indeed Pecker, I dont think there can be enough praise can be giving to Aiden; he Normally passes it on to his staff when there is.
Report neill d September 14, 2016 10:35 PM BST
Like this thread turn, Other stuff evil Aidan might say:

"I'm here to make Racing great again."

"Welcome to Rosegreen Motha*ckers"

"DK pulls this sh!t every interview, being passive aggressive is worse if you ask me."

"Don't feel sorry for John Oxx, he was lucky to get together with those horses in the first place."

"If I'd trained Frankel, he'd have won the Derby."

"Jim Bolger was lucky he got those Galileo noms cheap, How did all those Rodrigo De Trianos go?"

"Australia in the Champion Stakes convinced me of the pro-choice argument."

"If knowing people who will tell you when a currency is about to be devalued is a measure of intelligence, then yeah, my boss is pretty smart."

"When Galileo kicks it, nursing homes will make up 3/4 of the turnover."

"The boss says he'd rather jump one himself then send em' to Dubawi."

"The boss breaks out any of the expensive sh1t in the company of his Greek Barrow Boy mate."
Report neill d September 14, 2016 11:18 PM BST
My eldest is always telling me he wants to train like Henry Cecil, I keep telling him he’d be better off marrying like Jim Culloty.

I don’t like Ruby Walsh but he’s right about Derek Thompson….. and Paddy Brennan

It’d be great to have loyal owners like Edward O’Grady.

Philip was a nice guy, almost wish I’d texted him when we turned the  c*nts back at the gate.

Pipes must be getting the wrong batch, can't be that sh!t surely.
Report peckerdunne September 15, 2016 3:28 PM BST
Got me larfing anyway........
Report Eddie Batt September 15, 2016 10:22 PM BST
neill d -genuinely funny stuff -had me laughing out loud.
Report neill d September 15, 2016 11:03 PM BST
Sound lads, all meant in the spirit of affection as Joe Brolly would say.
Report roadrunner46 October 28, 2017 8:53 PM BST
amazing family
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 14, 2019 10:38 PM BST
Congratulations to Joseph O'Brien on training his 500th winner with Pasley, ridden by Donnacha O'Brien at Gowran Park today. Unbelievable achievement in just over 3 years training.

Donnacha completed a Monday afternoon treble - he’s now on 101, leading Colin Keane by 5 to be Champion Irish Flat Jockey for 2019.
Report peckerdunne October 16, 2019 6:53 PM BST
500 wow already
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 5, 2019 10:32 PM GMT
Joseph O’Brien became the youngest trainer to saddle a Breeders’ Cup winner when Iridessa stormed home in the Filly & Mare Turf at Santa Anita.
The 26-year-old is also only the second trainer to have tasted Breeders’ Cup glory as a jockey, after Freddy Head, following his Turf triumph aboard St Nicholas Abbey in 2011 — which made him the youngest rider to triumph.
Iridessa was guided to success by Wayne Lordan, who was also opening his Breeders’ Cup account, and he had the Pretty Polly and Matron Stakes heroine in a decent position from the start. Mirth set the pace and soon built up a big lead, but she was swamped in the straight and it was left to Iridessa and Vasilika to fight out the finish.

Iridessa (8-1) battled on gamely to land the spoils by a neck. Last year’s winner Sistercharlie was a never-nearer three lengths back in third.
Frankie Dettori was fourth on the John Gosden-trained Fanny Logan, with Just Wonderful, trained by Aidan O’Brien, fifth.

O’Brien said: “I was very happy through the race. We just wanted to get a nice position early and she had the early place to do that. “It was always the plan to finish her season here and we were fortunate to have a good draw and things worked out lovely under a great ride by Wayne. “It’s unbelievable. I’ve always got a much greater kick training a winner than riding a winner since I stated training. “It’s a dream, really, I’ve had a handful of Breeders’ Cup runners, but for this to happen it’s very special and it hasn’t sunk in yet.”
He added: “She’s been a great servant to her owner, competing in all the best races and either winning or placing, and I’d love to think she will stay in training next year, when we will run in all the top mile and mile-and-a-quarter races.”
Lordan said: “Joseph never ties you down with riding instructions, other than to suggest I might be in second, third or fourth in the early stages, and it’s a comfort knowing that Joseph has the experience of riding at the Breeders’ Cup. “She’s a filly who just rolls around and just does enough when she hits the front.” Tks Irish Racing Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 5, 2019 10:39 PM GMT
Aidan O’Brien's Investec Derby winner Anthony Van Dyck finished third when seeking a record seventh victory in the Breeders’ Cup Turf at Santa Anita last Saturday.
It is 17 years since the Ballydoyle handler first landed the prize with that season’s Derby hero High Chaparral. The same horse dead-heated in 2003, and O’Brien has since added to his tally with St Nicholas Abbey (2011), Magician (2013), Found (2015) and Highland Reel (2016). Devil
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com