Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Kelly
05 May 16 10:57
| Topic/replies: 8,517 | Blogger: Kelly's blog
Rory commits to Olympics , partly due to influence from Paul McGinley ( playing wise presumably , not representationally) .  Team to be picked by July 11 , bonfire night . Pretty sure it will be Rory and Shane , north and south which is how it should be ideally given the history of golf in ths small island of ours .  GUI take your bow .

Rory's representation of where the Olympics fits in currently ( and possibly in the future) is in line with my own handle on it .  Golf will be well down the pecking order when venues are being considered ( and tendered for) , most of best courses in the world are not necessarily where the Olympics will be going , could be a damp squib . The pull outs to date are pretty significant , zika a factor no doubt . Rory having had dengue fever will have left him in no doubt as to how easy it is to contract a mosquito borne disease when out in the unprotected open in certain areas . Vaccines etc mess up your sytem in some part , ideally you would want not to need them .

Re PGA , which is arguably the biggest golf tournament in England this year ( Open is in Scotland , Rory plays more in Scotland than in England )  , Rpry not playing is a big kick in the teeth for the organisers and the fans , given that he would be the highest rated player involved . No surprise here though .

Fav for the Wells Fargo , Rory , defending his title this week . Lets hope it puts him on track for a good display in the Irish Open at the K Club later this month .
Pause Switch to Standard View Rory , Olympics , PGA at Wentworth
Show More
Report RoyalAcademy May 5, 2016 12:30 PM BST
I picked up snatches of chat about this over the past week or so. Interesting in the sense of the real man behind the image even if the article is based a lot on rumour, hearsay and indirect sources.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/15278522/how-tiger-woods-life-unraveled-years-father-earl-woods-death

Apologies if posted earlier as I'm not a golf fan.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan May 5, 2016 2:29 PM BST
Was on the cards since 29th OCT 2015
http://www.golfpunkhq.com/news/article/will-rory-skip-wentworth

His Masters Par3 caddy and last years Pro-am partner at Wentworth (Niall Horan from 1D) is playing with Rose this year, so it gave RORY the excuse to pull out.
http://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/niall-horan-and-justin-rose-writing-songs-charity?cid=pgacomsocial_TWshare

McIlroy, by his own admission, was also concerned about his labouring putter here last year (Wells Fargo) after earlier picking apart TPC Sawgrass tee-to-green but finding no love with the flat stick – last year the Wells Fargo was played the week AFTER The Players at Sawgrass.
Too much travel (for the then #1 OWGR player) and too many high-level events in a row (WGC San Fran/The Players/Wells Fargo) would cause him to MC in the following two events as McIlroy’s tough schedule eventually caught up with him.
First at the [i]BMW PGA Championship, 71, 78
claiming mental fatigue and then the following week as host sponsor at the Irish Open in RCD with rounds of 80 (9-over and in a tie for last placed)  and a level-par 71 (4 shots off the halfway cut) in front of his home Northern Ireland fans.
This year he only plays (& wins) the next two in a row. (He already won 3-in-a-row in 2014).[/i] © Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan May 5, 2016 2:54 PM BST
28 Oct 2015
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/rory-mcilroy/11961590/European-Tour-fear-as-Rory-McIlroy-indicates-he-will-skip-BMW-PGA-Championship-at-Wentworth-next-year.html
Report Kelly May 5, 2016 5:35 PM BST
Not enough good golfers to go around , catchme . Nobody can play every week at top level , which rebounds on the fans . For the number of golfers in England and the number of clubs they have , they are poorly served by the number of top class tournaments they have .  OK they can travel to Scotland , Wales or Ireland to see their players compete , but if I were English I would be shouting from the rooftops at the sponsors / organisers .
Report pa lapsy May 5, 2016 10:51 PM BST
Bit sickening really,multi multi millionaires from the game,very professional,i think the ethos of the Olympics is compromised by it.
Much rather see the likes of Peter Lawrie or Damian McGrane or similar take part in this.
No place for golf in Olympics imo but given some of the other obscure sports such as dressage(well done horse) and BMX racing that can be argued.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan May 19, 2016 7:38 PM BST
His Masters Par3 caddy and last years Pro-am partner at Wentworth (Niall Horan from 1D) is playing with Rose this year, so it gave RORY the excuse to pull out.

ROSE OUT OF THE BMW next week too !....."with back pain trouble since The PLAYERS, must focus on rehab".
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 13, 2018 7:02 PM GMT
FOUR-time Major winner may not fulfil his European TOUR Membership next year - hinted RORY McIlroy - as he intends to focus on the big events on the PGA TOUR in America in 2019.

IN Dubai this week for the DP World Tour Championship where he revealed what his 2019 schedule may look like. He is going to begin his year in Hawaii at the Tournament of Champions before starting his season properly in March. This means that he will not be playing either of the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship or Dubai Desert Classic – events he has tended to include in his schedule in the past.

March sees the Players Championship take place in a new schedule which also sees the USPGA Championship move to May and the BMW PGA Championship move to September. McIlroy will focus his season initially on the big events in America which may compromise his European Tour membership, which “isn’t the end of the world” he says due to it not being a Ryder Cup year.
Whilst it isn’t a Ryder Cup year, it would have big implications on any future Ryder Cup Captaincy if he were to not take up membership. New rules state that players must keep up their European Tour membership every year to have a chance of becoming a Captain or Vice Captain. “It is the result of the changes,” he explained during his pre-tournament press conference in Dubai. “I don’t have to commit to anything until May, so I will not have played a European Tour event. “I will play the WGCs and Majors and events like that, but the true European Tour season does not start until July.

“That [the PGA Tour] will be the big focus of mine up until the end of August, and then we will assess it from there,” he said. “I guess my thing is that I want to play against the strongest fields week in and week out, and for the most part of the season that is in America. “If I want to continue to contend in the Majors and to continue my journey back towards the top of the game, then that’s what I want to do. “If it were to be that I don’t fulfil my [European Tour] membership next year, it’s not a Ryder Cup year so it’s not the end of the world. “I am always going to want to play the Ryder Cup and I will try and make the team the year later.”

To fulfil a European Tour membership, players must play in four regular European Tour sanctioned events to make 12 in total. That means four majors, four WGCs and four regular events. McIlroy would likely play in the Irish Open which he and his foundation host and is also going to play in the Omega European Masters due to his sponsor.
Other big European Tour events he could choose would be tournaments like the Scottish Open, BMW PGA Championship, DP World Tour Championship and Turkish Airlines Open.

The European Tour events he has played in this year (outside of Majors and WGCs) are: Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship, Dubai Desert Classic, BMW PGA Championship, Irish Open, Nedbank Golf Challenge and DP World Tour Championship. However, with his omission of the two big middle eastern events early in the year in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, it does look like he will be struggling to complete the full quota. 'Golf World' trying to make news Devil
Report Kelly November 15, 2018 3:17 PM GMT
May not matter where he plays .

Hard to  back anyone who has all the ability but an increasing inability to bring it to his scorecard .

This week the course is made for him , interesting to see how he pans out .
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com