Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
workrider
03 Apr 16 21:09
| Topic/replies: 31,464 | Blogger: workrider's blog
Anyone get todays copy , Walsh had a article about Coolmore in it , anyone able to put it up thanks ...
Pause Switch to Standard View .............Sunday Times .......
Show More
Report workrider April 4, 2016 12:06 PM BST
Got to read the article ,very interesting and I think we'll be hearing more before to long...
Report neill d April 4, 2016 3:12 PM BST
David Walsh has gone up in my opinion for writing that, didn't think he would have the balls to be honest, nobody else did anyway. Whether what the retired groom is saying is true or not is another thing but from what you'd hear about conditions in stable yards, it probably does deserve an airing.
Report CheltenhamRoar April 4, 2016 3:39 PM BST
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/Racing/article1684389.ece?shareTok...
Report tony57 April 4, 2016 4:14 PM BST
help
Report Bigwillystyle April 4, 2016 4:39 PM BST
Your beyond help Tony.
Report Bigwillystyle April 4, 2016 4:40 PM BST
I tried to help you out a few times and save you a few euro but you wouldnt listen.
Report kavvie April 4, 2016 5:55 PM BST
wont open?can you post it up here?
Report newapproach April 4, 2016 6:01 PM BST
There are no details in the article as to what the actual allegations relate to. I don't know is that because they feared legal action but it read more like an advertisement for the book rather than fierce-less journalism. If he was that hard-hitting, he would have mentioned the actual allegations made in the book.
Report Ozymandius April 4, 2016 6:50 PM BST
My thoughts exactly.
Report workrider April 4, 2016 7:29 PM BST
I think the point Walsh was making was ,the man is not afraid of them or their legal team and is determined to have the book published .
Report mrcombustible April 4, 2016 7:30 PM BST
This story has been doing the rounds for a while. Amazon have stopped selling the book but some small booksellers still stock it and I think the author will also post you a copy .
Here is a review from the racing forum

http://theracingforum.co.uk/racing-articles/book-review-the-black-horse-inside-coolmore/
Report newapproach April 4, 2016 9:58 PM BST
The author of the book may not fear Coolmore and their lawyers but Walsh and The Sunday Times were very afraid of them workrider. He basically told people to go to their local bookshop and buy this book but failed give us any detail about what was in the book. If he was as fearless as the author of the book, he would have given us an insight into the extent of the allegations that are being made against Coolmore.

I wouldn't have much time for Walsh for the record. He admirably exposed Lance Armstrong and his cheating. When it turned out that there was similar suspicions about Chris Froome and Team Sky, he defended them to the hilt. The fact that he was Froome's biographer and his boss, Rupert Murdoch, owns Team Sky was just a coincidence.
Report mrcombustible April 5, 2016 8:47 AM BST
Sunday Times Article

“You know the scene in Jerry Maguire where Tom Cruise comes back to the house, walks into the living room full of divorcees, says “hello”, explains he is looking for his wife and then makes a long speech begging Renee Zellweger to take him back? She tells him to shut up before uttering a line so good it soon became a cliché. “You had me at hello.”

I thought of that when reading the first paragraph of a letter written last December by a retired stud groom, Will Jones, to a representative of Arthur Cox Solicitors in Dublin. Jones was replying to legal correspondence accusing him of defamation. It read: “Dear Mr Woods, you keep repeating the same mistake. When you say my book is defamatory it is your opinion, it is not a fact. The only way you can claim defamation as a fact is when a court of law reaches that conclusion. Until that time, you are alleging I have defamed your client. I deny this.”

Legal letters, especially those addressed to authors, writers or journalists, are often penned with the express purpose of instilling fear. Mostly they succeed. What was surprising in Jones’ response to Arthur Cox Solicitors was the utter lack of fear.

If that first paragraph was defiant, the third and fourth went further.

“Mr Woods, you are a solicitor representing a client but you are acting like a judge, jury and hangman . . . you are not in any kind of position to state ‘the fact that this book contains defamatory content’. This is how, by stating defamation as a fact when it is far from that, you have forced Amazon and a number of bookshops to withdraw my book and this is wholly unacceptable.

“I formally put you on notice now that I hold you responsible for any lost sales of my book from the date the book was withdrawn from any shop or website and I will be taking legal action for damages as a result.”

The book is called The Black Horse Inside Coolmore. It was written by Welsh-born Jones and published last November. Coolmore in Co Tipperary is perhaps the most successful stud farm in the world and Jones worked there for nine years up to 2015. He left at the age of 65 and wrote the book that has not endeared him to his former employers.

Jones says his time at Coolmore was the best of his working life, working with horses so good he felt as though he was playing for Manchester United or Arsenal. There were plenty of good people, too. But through the memoir runs a seam of disenchantment. He believes there was a culture of bullying at the stud and that lower-paid employees were badly treated. Health and safety issues raised by him were, he says, not properly addressed.

Even allowing for Jones being a disaffected former employee, there is sufficient detail to lead any reader to question whether everything inside Coolmore was as it should be.

Jones believes the issues he raises have to be dealt with because young people no longer want to work on stud farms and at racing stables. Jones self-published The Black Horse Inside Coolmore, setting up the company Gold Rush Publications and paying about £3 per copy.

Trying to suppress a book is a dangerous game, for it begs the question: Why?
He then got in touch with bookshops in the UK and Ireland, encouraging them to take copies. It went on to Amazon’s vast website and he thought he was getting places. It was then that Arthur Cox Solicitors got involved and Jones realised that writing the book was actually the easier part.

Frightened by the possibility of litigation, Amazon withdrew the book and most bookshops took it from their shelves. Jones tried to take out ads in the Racing Post and The Irish Field but both racing papers turned him down. Coolmore is an important advertiser.

The book almost died at birth, but Jones refused to give up. He wrote his four-page response to Arthur Cox’s letter on December 7, fighting fire with fire. There would be no further letters from the law firm.

Newspapers did not write about the book and it has not been discussed on radio or television. This was partly because few knew of its existence but also because of Coolmore’s influence within the racing industry. Jones has been selling the book from his home, taking orders through a website he created.

He has posted out 1,200 copies and says another 1,200 have been sold in bookshops that somehow remained under Arthur Cox’s radar. Coolmore have not as yet initiated legal action against Jones but have continued to threaten bookshops who put the book on their shelves.

As you would guess, Jones is not taking this lying down. Unable to afford lawyers, he has become his own legal advocate and this week in the Dublin High Court he will apply for an interim injunction against Coolmore to stop the alleged harassment of interested booksellers. Trying to suppress a book is a dangerous game, for it begs the question: Why?

Jones has written an interesting book. His former bosses at Coolmore will disagree with much of what he has written but there is too much detail and too much concern for former work colleagues for the author’s claims to be ignored.

The book is out there and potential readers should be allowed to make up their own minds.”
Report tony57 April 5, 2016 8:50 AM BST
thanks mrcombustable
Report tony57 April 5, 2016 8:55 AM BST
whats the website that mr jones has set up?
Report workrider April 5, 2016 12:04 PM BST
info@goldrushpublications.com is the address if you want to order the book Tony...
Report tony57 April 5, 2016 1:40 PM BST
thanks wr..
Report kavvie April 5, 2016 2:07 PM BST
i know a few lads work in coolmore.they seem very happy there.id say this is a storm in a teacup..like every job in every walk of life theres stuff goes on..
Report RoyalAcademy April 5, 2016 4:15 PM BST
this guy was a wet weekend in coolmore and wouldn't know the chain of command or the enforcers.

non-story based on tittle-tattle and 11-0-clock breaks in the canteen.

there's a story to be told about how coolmore (and all the Irish associates) have achieved wealth beyond reason but you wont find it in this penny dreadful. The bloodstock empire is a sideshow nowadays.
Report workrider April 5, 2016 4:47 PM BST
He was 9yrs in Coolmore hardly a wet weekend ffs..
Report mincer11 April 5, 2016 5:14 PM BST
Get into bed will ya.
Report workrider April 5, 2016 5:33 PM BST
Get OUT of bed will ya...Laugh
Report The Gotchee April 5, 2016 5:41 PM BST
Laugh

You have hit the nail on the head there wr.
Report mincer11 April 5, 2016 5:48 PM BST
^^^^^^ Begrudging unctious clown signing in ^^^^^^
Report workrider April 5, 2016 5:50 PM BST
Mincer ,probably did a deal with them only for it to backfire ...Laugh
Report Kelly April 5, 2016 5:51 PM BST
Read the article this afternoon, much ado about nothing as far as I could see . Any outfit with a bit of power and money will be content to throw away a few bob in legal fees if they dont like someone having a go at them .  The fact stated that the groom in question stayed there for 9 years suggests things weren't too bad .
Report Racingqueen April 5, 2016 8:40 PM BST
Anyone hear Dave Yates comments regarding his low point of the festival on RUK. Surprised he said it. Met with silence
Report workrider April 5, 2016 8:55 PM BST
What did he say Queenie ?
Report Racingqueen April 5, 2016 9:06 PM BST
was asked his lowpoint and said it was the triumph winner. Was asked why and said he had written an article last year about how Joseph was giving up riding and taking up training. Said the mirror were contacted immediately to request the article be taken down off the website.
Report workrider April 5, 2016 9:18 PM BST
They don't like anyone knowing ANYTHING do they .
Report Racingqueen April 5, 2016 9:26 PM BST
Just shows the infatuation with control. A complete non story that the local donkey could have guessed and they request its removal.

To be fair I have limited sympathy for anyone moaning about work conditions in horse racing. The whole sport is based on money end of and there isn't a single sector of the industry that has a "moral compass" (Bookies, Trainers, Jocks, Owners).
Report mrcombustible April 18, 2016 8:53 PM BST
Coolmore will not like the publicity the book will now receive. Irish Times report

Coolmore Stud trying to frustrate book sales, claims ex-employee
Solicitors wrote to Amazon alleging defamation in ‘Black Horse Inside Coolmore’, judge told
about 2 hours ago
Mary Carolan

A man who has written a book about his experiences working at Coolmore Stud has asked the High Court for injunctions restraining the stud from seeking to frustrate sales of his book.

William Jones, author of The Black Horse Inside Coolmore, claims Coolmore Stud is engaging in a “flagrant” abuse of his right to freedom of speech according to the Constitution and European Convention on Human Rights.

He told Mr Justice Paul Gilligan that solicitors for Coolmore had written to the Amazon website and various bookshops referring to potential proceedings for defamation in relation to the book and seeking that it be withdrawn from sale.

Mr Jones, who denies any defamation, said, since his book was published last November, he has made repeated requests to Arthur Cox, solicitors for Coolmore, to precisely outline the alleged defamation. That had not been done, he claims.
‘Affecting sales’

Representing himself, Mr Jones, of Cashel, Co Tipperary, told the judge he wanted an interim ex parte injunction (one side only represented) restraining any efforts on behalf of Coolmore Stud to frustrate sales of his book. The matter was urgent because it was affecting sales, he said.

In his proceedings, he also wants a declaration the book is not defamatory on its face and may be sold in outlets where books are sold.

Mr Justice Gilligan said, in circumstances where there was no court order restraining sales of the book and where Mr Jones had provided a very long affidavit setting out allegations against Coolmore, he believed the court should not hear the application for the interim order ex parte.

He directed Mr Jones to put the other side on notice of the injunctions application and said he would deal with it on Monday, April 25th.

Mr Jones worked at Coolmore from 2006 until January 2015 and wrote about some of his experiences in his book, self-published last November by his company, Gold Rush Publications.

On November 26th, he received a letter, via email, from Arthur Cox, solicitors for Coolmore Stud, alleging the book was defamatory of their client, instructing him to cease its distribution and sale and reserving the right to take legal action against him without further notice, Mr Jones said in an affidavit.

In his November 27th reply to Cox’s, he had said what he had written was “the truth” and he was ready to defend any leal action against the book, “line by line if necessary”.

He said he had continued to sell the book through bookshops which had not been threatened and via his own website.
Death of two horses

Mr Jones said he sought details of the alleged defamation and last December received a letter from the solicitors mentioning matters relating to the death of two horses which he had referred to in his book.

In his reply, he said he repeated his assertion the book was not defamatory and told the solicitors he held the defendant responsible for any loss of sales by their actions in relation to bookshops.

In letters to bookshops, the solicitors sought confirmation the bookshops would not sell or distribute the book in the absence of Mr Jones “complying with his legal obligations on confidentiality to our client and ensuring that the book does not contain any defamatory material”.

The defendant had provided no specific details explaining what that statement was referring to and he considered the letters an attempt to “bluff” bookshops into keeping the book out of circulation, he said.

Articles about his book had appeared in newspapers and magazines and none of those had received legal correspondence on behalf of Coolmore, he added.

Topics:
    Courts

Subscribe.

More from The Irish Times

A
Report Tascro April 19, 2016 1:12 AM BST
Have ordered the book. Should be worth a read i think.
Report wildmanfromborneo April 19, 2016 9:11 PM BST
It's a disappointing book,his grievances are not against Coolmore.

The only part of the book that would embarrass Coolmore is their pursuit of insurance.
It seems if you put a horse down you don't get paid your insurance,this has led to some horses being allowed die long painful deaths to ensure they get paid.
Report Racingqueen April 20, 2016 12:13 AM BST
if that ever got into the major public domain and there was proof to back it up the animal welfare crowd would be all over it (and rightly so). It would cause massive issues for racing generally.
Report kincsem April 20, 2016 3:36 AM BST
More than Coolmore in the book.

He also covers the ISSA - stable lads association, and how it covers racing yards, but not studs.
Details given of winning percentages taken by some trainers but not given to staff.

JLCs (Joint Labour Committees) brought in by the Labour Court fifty years established employment conditions and minimum rates of pay.
Now the horse sector do not have to comply, and staff suffer.

Coolmore pay a weekly salary (not a wage) which means they don't pay overtime for extra hours worked (except specials like bank holidays).

Two suicides in Coolmore.  The author says there is bullying.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan April 20, 2016 1:17 PM BST
The 'factory lorry' is a regular visitor. Remember Kinane was shocked at one time by the numbers been 'culled'.
Report kincsem April 21, 2016 11:07 AM BST
^
From Odds, Sods and Racing Certs
"You should treat every horse as a good horse until you know it isn't.
The minute you know that , you should get rid of it, yesterday if possible."
David Gandolfo.
Report TheFear April 21, 2016 2:39 PM BST
Only just started this book but looks a good read so far. If you can afford it buy it even if just to support free speech and the little guy standing up to the bullies.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan May 26, 2017 11:33 AM BST
Any word in Cashel today
Report Catch Me ifyoucan May 26, 2017 11:39 AM BST
http://theracingforum.co.uk/racing-articles/book-review-the-black-horse-insi...
Report workrider May 27, 2017 8:51 AM BST
Bought a book in Doncaster last Sat called,Gentlemen and Blackgaurds by Nicholas Foulkes,its about racing in the 1840s.Fascinating stuff,Lord George Bentick one of the most interesting characters ever !.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 11, 2019 1:37 PM BST
Catch Me ifyoucan • April 20, 2016 1:17 PM BST
The 'factory lorry' is a regular visitor. Remember Kinane was shocked at one time by the numbers been 'culled'
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 11, 2019 4:34 PM BST
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com