Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Kelly
13 Aug 14 14:10
| Topic/replies: 8,678 | Blogger: Kelly's blog
Geezer confirmed as new manager of Armagh , it was always going to be when he "left" Kildare .  Have seen an improvement in Armagh recently , which coming from a Down man is noteworthy .

Not sure who looks after Kildare nowadays , but they have not been high flying by all accounts . Certainly what I saw during their championship "run" did not raise any hairs on the back of my neck .
Pause Switch to Standard View Kildares loss = Armaghs gain .
Show More
Report SoYouThink August 13, 2014 9:00 PM BST
Haven't seen McGeeney confirmed as manager although it is pretty guaranteed he will succeed Grimley.

To be fair he had probably taken Kildare as far as he could although I did think they ousted him a year or two too soon. Considering where he started he should have been allowed at least one bad year there.
Report Kelly August 13, 2014 9:36 PM BST
Not confirmed , so you think , but pretty much a shoe in , I may have jumped the gun ( officially) .

Could not figure out why Kildare acted the way they did , unless it was a financial matter . Figures intimated to me at start of his move there were probably correct  , based on subsequent happenings and references .

Watched him a few times locally training some ( good) players before he went officially on the managerial trail , and I was impressed . Plus one of my sons was in the uni squad with him way back , and gave him 10 out of 10 , as a trainer , competitor and thinker .

You dont waste talent when you see it , and its better on your side than on your competitors . Ref Lester and AP .
Report SoYouThink August 13, 2014 10:41 PM BST
I would say McGeeney is one of the top managers around at the moment. Up-to-date on all the latest training methods, a good student / reader of the game too. Plus I would say it's pretty evident from his playing days that he's a great motivator. He hasn't had the luxury of managing a top side but he brought Kildare on loads and Armagh's improvement this year is probably due to him.
Report Ozymandius August 13, 2014 10:51 PM BST
He has a very harsh accent, personally I would struggle to listen to him day in, day out.
Report freddiek August 13, 2014 11:55 PM BST
im sure Armagh supporters are thrilled with this news if true. my own county appointed an ex team-mate of his quite recently, unfortunately it didnt end well.

surprised u know who he is Ozy.
Report irish_guy_13 August 14, 2014 1:56 AM BST
Kildare could not afford him and his bird. And as that fiasco with the cavan muppet, who's gf is a sister of guess who.
Report irish_guy_13 August 14, 2014 1:57 AM BST
Professional my a ss.
Report Kelly August 30, 2014 12:23 AM BST
Confirmed yesterday . 5 year term , which is a  pretty long commitment for a county board .
Report tobywong. August 30, 2014 5:58 AM BST
no als in ard macha fs !
Report el gato August 30, 2014 9:21 AM BST
kildare hardly flew when he was in charge either....
Report Arklearkle August 30, 2014 10:46 AM BST
Kildare just lacking the talent to win an All Ireland but they currently have one of the best managers in the country.
Report Kelly August 30, 2014 11:38 AM BST
Managers come and go , the players generally stay around for about 10 years if they are true county standard players . You cant get blood from a stone though as we in Down know too well .

But increasingly the managers depend on their position for income , was not always the case . And a professional man deserves an income commensurate with ability and background etc .  It is a dilemma for an "amateur "association .  And for clubs too .
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com