Forums

Irish Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
BJG
31 Dec 13 17:07
| Topic/replies: 29,810 | Blogger: BJG's blog
Obv had a contract signed till the end of the year hence why they could nt sack him wen they wanted to earlier on in the year!

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 186
By:
BJG
When: 31 Dec 13 17:09
Racing Post ‏@RacingPost 20m
Ireland's champion jump jockey Davy Russell is no longer number one rider for Gigginstown House Stud - more to follow
By:
paddywhacker1970
When: 31 Dec 13 17:12
Fair point about the timing, was wondering about the timing. Big news. I could take a wild guess as to why they have split, but I wouldn't want to libel anyone!
By:
BJG
When: 31 Dec 13 17:17
Indeed - heard the (alleged)story a few months back but wont b puttin it on here

Musta been a contract that he got the extra time
By:
dj876
When: 31 Dec 13 17:29
Does it not all stem back to the Public row with Eddie O'Leary early last year?

I wouldn't be Russel's biggest fan and we all know the connection but to be fair to the man I can't think of many questionable rides for Gigginstown?

I presume Cooper gets the gig.Is this with immediate effect,Does Russel ride for them at Tramore tomorrow?
By:
CheltenhamRoar
When: 31 Dec 13 17:39
Yeah they had a spat and no longer get on,love how people try to keep it all hush hush on here as if their in the know Plain
By:
olddesperado
When: 31 Dec 13 17:51
and what was this spat over, im not in the knowSad
By:
BJG
When: 31 Dec 13 17:54
General knowledge they had had a massive blow out and didnt get on and had another big bust up this evenin which more will b heard of. Was v bad

As for being in the know? lol, some1 wont put up libel and so has to b tryin to be "in the know"

The story was all over d place wen he nearly got the boot during the year - am sure plenty in the Cork area will know it, was lucky to last as long as he did
By:
workrider
When: 31 Dec 13 17:58
Paulie will be doing his nut....Laugh
By:
SoYouThink
When: 31 Dec 13 18:00
I am not in the know and would like if someone put up the reason for the split.
By:
Kelly
When: 31 Dec 13 18:08
Racing has always been full of bust ups between owners / trainers /jockeys .  Nothing surprises me except that there are not more .

We always assume that people are sensible ( like most of us ) , but there's nowt as **** as folk , old saying , lot of truth in it which is why it has stood the test of time that saying .

Always rumours about , racing thrives on conspiracy theories .

The most important thing in any horse race is the jockey , if a jockey gets it wrong he can screw up the best laid plans of mice and men . Davy Russell has been OK on any horse I have backed in recent memory , no complaints here .  But I am not paying the bills etc ( and never will be , owning horses might be great sport , but it's  the road to nowhere financially unless you have that world by the tail   ) .

Not the end of the day for either in this , who gets the rides now ?
By:
Kelly
When: 31 Dec 13 18:10
Must be some homophobics about checking posts , quare fellows .
By:
Arklearkle
When: 31 Dec 13 18:10
I would not be a massive fan of Davys but they wont get AP Ruby or BG so wont get anyone much better than him. I suppose if there was a big difference of opinion a breakup was inevitable and nothing lasts forever anyway. I reckon they would be much better off using stable jockeys where ever one exists. Although it cost me Davy gave Rogue Angel a great ride today.
By:
tony57
When: 31 Dec 13 18:11
im also intrigued to know the reason for the split?
By:
J.R.Hartley
When: 31 Dec 13 18:15
One of the few people in racing that i have no time for.......heard that Cooper was offered the job earlier in the year....wanted to stay with Dessie apparently.
By:
tony57
When: 31 Dec 13 18:22
j.r.
    its to the lads credit that he said no (if that's true)co,s loyalty is in short supply in this life..usally money calls the shots..and im sure 250e retainer will make some forget loyalty?
By:
J.R.Hartley
When: 31 Dec 13 18:26
Might well have changed his mind Tony.
By:
tony57
When: 31 Dec 13 18:30
yes mate...
By:
one last chance
When: 31 Dec 13 18:30
Do they actually need a retained jockey ?? Surely the horses they have with mullins will be ridden by ruby and Townsend same as 1s with Meade ridden by carberry Davy condon back from injury to  ride the Elliot. Horses
By:
one last chance
When: 31 Dec 13 18:32
Copper riding Dessie s etc
By:
tony57
When: 31 Dec 13 18:34
I,ll guarantee they,ll want there own man..all top owners want one jock they can go 2..e.g.he rides all theres..and his opinion is taken..were if you go for best available..they may have different views on the horses..carberry walsh conden etc...
By:
workrider
When: 31 Dec 13 18:47
OLC ,can't you just see Ruby having to make a choice between one of Riccis , Grahams , and then you throw one of Michaels into the mix , it just wouldn't work ...
By:
by purpose
When: 31 Dec 13 18:54
Id say there chasing Danny.....
By:
Santry
When: 31 Dec 13 18:55
I would expect they will appoint a retained rider with Bryan Cooper surely the front runner. He is a young man who already has plenty of big race experience. Another young rider they could take a chance on is Mikey Fogarty .
I have to say its a positive for me that Russell is gone as I find I back a fair few Gigginstown horses and this season I have been viewing Russell as a big negative.
By:
workrider
When: 31 Dec 13 18:59
Santry i put up a thread castigating Russell for his ride on Very Wood at Navan , and Paulie came on here and lambasted me over it ...It has been obvious to a blind man yet Paulie persisted in defending , How is he going to feed himself now..
By:
Santry
When: 31 Dec 13 19:06
Yes WR ,I remember. I was at Navan that day and backed Very Wood and you put into words exactly what I was thinking that night. Your a racing man that is prepared to say whats on your mind. I would love to know what has happened to Davy Russell this season as he is a shadow of the jockey he was.
By:
tony57
When: 31 Dec 13 19:09
could be we now have the reason?..if hes known that hes getting the chop then maybe its payed on his mind..or he has not give a f.ck?
By:
G Hall
When: 31 Dec 13 19:43
When he had the gigginstown gig GrinI thought he rode pretty well most of the time,now the danger is that he will resort to the old ways,it was impossible for a punter to know what to do pre gigginstown imo.

The horses did not always run as the formbook suggested they should....or perhaps I don't read the form very well.
By:
CheltenhamRoar
When: 31 Dec 13 20:01
interesting to see where Davy goes from here,Back riding for Arthur Moore perhaps....Or might just pack it in altogether
By:
workrider
When: 31 Dec 13 20:33
The expression on his face after he rode that winner for Charlie over the weekend , told its own tale ...Before going down the road of knocking Russell , I have to say when he's on song , there are few better ...I noted awhile back that his enthusiasm seemed to have left him , he obviously knew what was about to happen . I for one wish him all the best in the future...
By:
The Gotchee
When: 31 Dec 13 20:42
The whole Gigginstown operation is in a state of disarray. The Christmas Festival was a horror show and a bitter pill to swallow. Considering they have only a fraction of the fire-power of Gigginstown, the likes of Rich Ricci and Graham Wylie seem to breeze into town and walk away with the big prizes. Sacking the jockey isn't going to bring around a dramatic change of fortune.They have set out their stall  and have made a complete b0llix of it. They may be smart business people but horse racing has tamed bigger and wealthier. If they keep going with the same strategy this famous quote may come back to haunt Michael O'Leary, "Do we carry rich people on our flights? Yes, I flew on one this morning and I'm very rich."  With todays development, is this the beginning of the end for Gigginstown?
By:
dj876
When: 31 Dec 13 21:13
" If they keep going with the same strategy this famous quote may come back to haunt Michael O'Leary, "Do we carry rich people on our flights? Yes, I flew on one this morning and I'm very rich."

Why would it come back to haunt him??His publicly listed stake in Ryanair is worth in excess of €320 million and has a personal wealth is in excess of half a Billion.

Now there have been plenty of Multi-Millionaires that have taking major hits from massive purchases on the flat and plenty of punting owners like Jack Ramsden who have lost fortunes but I can't remember any non-punting owner losing half a billion on National Hunt horses.That last post is quite possibly the most absurd one of 2013.
By:
The Gotchee
When: 31 Dec 13 21:24
dj876, would you ever lighten up for g0d sake. Try reading the post again, I didn't say it would bust them. Sorry I upset you, do you work for O'Leary by any chance?
By:
CheltenhamRoar
When: 31 Dec 13 21:29
One thing for sure,As The Gotchee mentions, Getting rid of Davy isn't gonna make Giggy successful all of a sudden,
Gonna be huge pressure on Cooper to come up with the goods.
By:
dj876
When: 31 Dec 13 21:31
That old cover up line,where did u learn that??-try reading it again, ffs!!

What did you mean by come back to haunt him so??

I just have a low tolerance for fellows talking through their hat like scoffing at suggesting that AP was worth 3 lbs against STD,"the mythical 3lbs"
By:
The Gotchee
When: 31 Dec 13 21:47
Ah, I see where you are coming from now.

So this was your chance to get me back because I thought The New One would beat My Tent or Yours and I put up my reasoning for it, which was contrary to your view. This game is all about opinions and like ar$e holes we all have one. With a lot of luck you were right last week, well done.

You are a very angry person who needs to chill out a bit,it's probably time for you to take another sabbatical.
By:
dj876
When: 31 Dec 13 21:54
No problem with a difference of opinions,just annoys me when someone that knows Jack about this game scoffs at a legitimate argument that AP is worth  3 lb s against STD in a tactical race.

You then come on here talking through your hat again about how this game has tamed bigger than O 'leary -suggesting his quote that he's rich would come back to haunt him, but as usual when presented with factual evidence as a counter argument,the statement was then meant not to be a serious one.
By:
The Gotchee
When: 31 Dec 13 21:59
You are easily annoyed and furthermore I have forgotten more than you know about this game.
By:
dj876
When: 31 Dec 13 22:03
That line confirms all my thoughts,a real original.

Anyway I shall await with bated breath in anticipation for your proposed theory on Michael O Leary's future solvency materialising.
By:
The Gotchee
When: 31 Dec 13 22:14
Well OK, get back on to the topic for discussion. How would you assess the way Gigginstown is being run and what improvement will a change of jockey bring about? Would you agree that Rich Ricci has a much slicker operation that makes Gigginstown look like enthusiastic amateurs?

I'd rather not get into a slag ging match but don't ruin what is a enlightening thread.
Page 1 of 5  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com