Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Mordin.
20 Sep 13 01:08
| Topic/replies: 634 | Blogger: Mordin.'s blog
Mayo
R Hennelly; T Cunniffe, G Cafferkey, C Barrett; L Keegan, D Vaughan, C Boyle; A O'Shea, S O’Shea; K McLoughlin, K Higgins, A Dillon; C O'Connor, A Freeman, A Moran.

Dublin TBC
S Cluxton, K O’Brien, R O’Carroll, J Cooper, J McCarthy, G Brennan, J McCaffrey, M D MacAuley, C O’Sullivan, P Flynn, C Kilkenny, D Connolly, P Mannion, P Andrews, B Brogan.

Cant see anything but a Dublin win. Their philosophy is a 20 man team and will run the legs of Aidan OShea. Mayo forwards hit by injuries to Andy Moran (not fully recovered from cruciate) and C O'Connor (interrupted build up). Unfortunately running into a very powerful Dublin squad. Will turn out Mayo should have won the All Ireland against flash in pan Donegal.

Dublin All Stars J McCarthy, J McCaffrey, M D MacAuley, C O’Sullivan, D Connolly,
Mayo All Stars L Keegan, A O'Shea, K Higgins,
Pause Switch to Standard View Official Dublin v Mayo Thread
Show More
Report kingrat September 21, 2013 1:32 PM BST
come on ye boys in blue!come on ye boys in blue!Laugh  i was talking to a member of the ticket committee in the club last night and he told me,the club only got 80 tickets and they were raffling 10 to get funds for the juveniles.now i fcking ask u,80 tickets?btw the fcker got the money out of me for the raffle.Laugh
Report Mordin. September 21, 2013 3:09 PM BST
Just watched last years match Mayo v Dublin 2012. Mayo were winning by 10 points as one stage, just clung on for a win. This Dublin are much better this year and Mayo Forwards have regressed a bit.
Report wildmanfromborneo September 21, 2013 5:58 PM BST
I think Mayo will win and win easily,i can see them scoring four goals against that Dublin half back line,i am not into those exotic bets so just hardening my Mayo bets.
Report keen leader September 21, 2013 6:07 PM BST
much that I would like to see mayo gain a win, I cannot see it happening on a dry day, especially with the Dillon on the team, a great man to perform a disappearing act on AIF day.

I think Dublin will win handy, the bet for me is 12/5 Dublin-Dublin with the magic sign, if the dubs are leading at half time, I would say they will be 1/2 or less and at that point if in front you can always save your bet cheaply. I expect a score line like 2-18 to 0-15 for the dubs.
Report wildmanfromborneo September 21, 2013 6:10 PM BST
Ah stop Mayo will score goals against that defence,this will be a high scoring game because the Dubs will score goals too only less than Mayo.
Report Mordin. September 21, 2013 7:18 PM BST
Mayo could play a lot more defensive than previously this year. Played a sweeper against Dublin last year
Report G Hall September 21, 2013 10:31 PM BST
I also think the dubs by 5/6 points.I couldn't see any mayo forward getting on the kerry forward line,Gooch,2 O'Sullivans,James Donoghue, Donnacha and Galvin are better than any mayo forwards,and still the dubs beat them.

I can see mayo scoring maybe 1-12 or 1-13 it won't be enough,they will need to score three goals to win imvho.I also think mayo will start kicking bad wides again if they are behind.

I would like to see them bring sam west,but I can't see it.
Report G Hall September 21, 2013 10:38 PM BST
Over 1.5 goals must be a shoo in
Report Mordin. September 22, 2013 12:30 AM BST
Good analysis G Hall, I think your spot on there
Report paddletoe September 22, 2013 1:37 AM BST
If you asked me before the semi finals who I thought would win the final if Dublin met Mayo I would have went with Mayo. But the semi final performances by both finalists seems to have been overlooked by the bookies and Dublin look a decent bet at the prices.

I was very unimpressed with seeing Mayo first hand in their semi final win over Tyrone. They won by six in the end easing up ( could have been more ) but a very poor Tyrone team should have been 4-5 up at half time. A lot of Mayo players I was looking forward to seeing just did not impress me.

The thing Dublin have in their favour over all other teams is the strength of their bench. You could put up a good argument for their best team not being the one that starts a lot of their games. This year they also don't rely on a single player as much as in the previous years. They have not that marquee player but the balance and style of play is a lot better.
Report irish_guy_13 September 22, 2013 3:32 AM BST
I'd love to see mayo win it . But the head says, 4/5 dublin to lift the trophy.
Report DECALEC September 22, 2013 6:46 AM BST
GET ON THE DOUBLE AT 12/5 THE FLAMBOUYANCY OF THE METS WILL BE TOO MUCH AND THE WEST WILL HAVE A WAKECool
Report padlock September 22, 2013 7:53 AM BST
backd ht --  ft
     mayo--- dublin 5/1 at ladsbroke
Report Santry September 22, 2013 8:15 AM BST
Think Dublin will win with something to spare simply because they have on the whole better players and more of them. Big question though is the ref. GAA ref's like to keep it tight and Mayo may get some soft frees if struggling-look at the frees Cork got in the Hurling final. Even so dont think this will be too tight-Dublin by 4-6 points.
Report reb September 22, 2013 11:32 AM BST
The Curse of Foxford to become the curse of Foxrock today roysh !
Report Rosemary September 22, 2013 1:22 PM BST
Mayo minors facing defensive system here
Report The Bhoys September 22, 2013 1:50 PM BST
Very tough to call this but I tipped the dubs at the start but never actually backed them but ive layed mayo today the whole country seems to be supporting mayo but im one of the few that actually like the dubs
Report GANT007 September 22, 2013 1:54 PM BST
The Dubs are the finest supporters you will ever meet.......good banter and good to take the piss out of. I think they will win today.
Report winsamsoon September 22, 2013 2:00 PM BST
Mayo, the people with the goldfish memories;
50 Dublin ht/ft 12/5, 50 dublin +2.5 goals 7/2 and a speculative 10 Paul Mannion MoM 25/1
Report G Hall September 22, 2013 2:26 PM BST
Goldfish memories never heard that one before
Report reb September 22, 2013 2:29 PM BST
Reports suggesting there will be more green and red on the Hill than blue !
Report GANT007 September 22, 2013 2:33 PM BST
6000 is what I heard.
Report Kelly September 22, 2013 3:04 PM BST
Money coming for the Dubs , down to 9/10 on here .  PP will still lay you evens .
Report Timeforchange September 22, 2013 3:07 PM BST
Jack McCaffrey to score 0.5 at 1.72. What do ye think lads. Was going to do that or Alan Dillon at the same for 1.5, probably the safer bet?
Report Timeforchange September 22, 2013 3:11 PM BST
Jack McCaffrey and Keith Higgins, both 5/1 to be nominess for mom, so three will be picked, if either team wins you would expect one of the two to be in the top 3??
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby September 22, 2013 3:35 PM BST
what an absolute clown cafferkey was there ffs
Report DECALEC September 22, 2013 3:43 PM BST
get that ballax carney aff the tv
Report Kriskin September 22, 2013 3:50 PM BST
That's why the Mayo keeper was 4th choice 6 weeks a go.  He was BRUTAL there for Brogan's goal
Report pa lapsy September 22, 2013 3:53 PM BST
Yeah shocking goal to give away,Dublin should be getting buried,they haven,t turned up at all.
Report Distant View September 22, 2013 4:10 PM BST
This is a barely believable standard of game. The amount of errors, poor decisions, poor kicking that is on show from the 2 best teams in the country is incredible.

Mayo have been totally dominant for much of the half, but have gifted points to Dublin and have wasted loads of opportunities themselves.
Report Roger De Bris September 22, 2013 4:10 PM BST
Dubs within 1pt. Looking good.
Report Distant View September 22, 2013 4:24 PM BST
Two of the 3 young footballer of the year candidates now off the park for various reasons.
Report DECALEC September 22, 2013 4:35 PM BST
e.o'g next
Report victors September 22, 2013 4:48 PM BST
uncle joe mcquillan worth a few points to dublin- not giving any easy frees to mayo
Report DECALEC September 22, 2013 5:02 PM BST
gave enuf 1st half come on TYRONEGrin
Report pa lapsy September 22, 2013 5:05 PM BST
Absolutely terrible decision by the bench to not go for goal
Report lustrumm September 22, 2013 5:06 PM BST
Have you ever seen a more brain dead performance by any team than that of Mayo just there. The guy clearly asked the ref how much was left, the ref had to tell him this was it and he put the ball over the bar.
Talk about having no plan B, they didn't even seem to have a plan a. The "it's our turn to win it" mentality seemed to be their only strategy.
Report Kelly September 22, 2013 5:07 PM BST
Bit scrappy game . No real stars .

Mayo forward takes a point when time is up ?
Report Mr Mischief September 22, 2013 5:20 PM BST
Happy daysCool
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby September 22, 2013 5:24 PM BST
Terrible match. Terrible standard. Mayo had it in their hands and threw it away
Report lustrumm September 22, 2013 5:36 PM BST
I agree Joe. Mayo had more than enough possession to win 2 games. No team will ever again think Mayo can beat them in a final.
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby September 22, 2013 5:45 PM BST
Spot on the first goal was bad but the first was criminal. Cafferkey with the free out and kicked it 10 yards to a dublin shirt and straight over the bar. He should have been hauled off. No surprise he was involved in the goal debacle
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby September 22, 2013 5:46 PM BST
First point was criminal sorry
Report Dan Chipowski September 22, 2013 5:59 PM BST
Shocking game really, very poor from both teams and little high class football at all.

Kicking the ball over the bar at the end is one of the stupidest things I've ever witnessed. I mean wtf PlainPlain
Report PHILthePOWER September 22, 2013 6:13 PM BST
Think both teams were basically playing the same tactics, both attacking, and it just clashed from 45 to 45.

What on earth was o'connor doing at the end kicking it over the bar??!! When he did it I was sure the ref must have told him he will allow one more phase of play, thus if they win the kick out they have a chance to level. But clearly I though wrong, bizarre decision from Cillian,one of the best players in this championship.
Report walllace007 September 22, 2013 7:55 PM BST
He must have been told there was one more passage of play, there was no way he would have done what he did otherwise.. One of th eMayo players ran to the ref straight after the final whistle, must have been to ask him why he blew it up.
Dublin were the better side. Dillon, Aidan O'shea both went missing.. Keith Higgins was the best Mayo performer along with the goalie.
Report lustrumm September 22, 2013 8:29 PM BST
Mayo got 2 points from frees in injury time. O'Connor wasted over 60 seconds between the 2 frees shaping up to them, walking to the ball, patting the bottoms of team mates and what not. The whole second half was brainless from Mayo but the last 5 minutes was on a different level of stupidity I have seen in a long time
Report paddletoe September 22, 2013 8:38 PM BST
Unlikely Mayo would have scored a goal from the last free but they came within a kick of the ball of winning the all Ireland and then never even give themselves a chance at winning. They refused a shoot for a point just before the free but then when they got the free they wasted any chance of getting two points by letting the clock run down thinking about what to do. They either tap the ball over right away and have time for one more attack or take their time and go for a goal. Instead they take their time and go for the point. The referee might have told them it was not the last kick of the game but that does not mean there is enough time for another score.
Report The Gotchee September 22, 2013 8:42 PM BST
Is Bernard Brogan a certainty for man of the match?
Report padlock September 22, 2013 8:56 PM BST
hope so was on at 10/1 ladsbroke
Report lustrumm September 22, 2013 8:56 PM BST
yes, he scored 2-3 and was a threat all DAY
Report padlock September 22, 2013 8:59 PM BST
very scrappy low quality encounter,nobody stood out as mom so  brogans surely
Report richters September 22, 2013 9:26 PM BST
james horan got his tactics horribly wrong in the 2nd half.......bringing his biggest ball winner back into the full back line for the 2nd half........keith higgins......saying thay mayo missed enough scores to win 2 games........another all ireland bypasses mayo.....be a while before they come back from this.....another point worth considering when ye watch the sunday game is.....joe mc quillan rather than let himself be the talk of the sunday game was quite content to let play flow when clear fouls had occured and on the opposite end of the fields but when mayo hadnt the clear shooting oppurtunitys from free kicks and the chance to slow the game down to their pace,they struggled......fair play dublin......
their will be sum noddin winking and blackarding in the lower end of the cusack with the rock the rat the rocks bro and the rats da,i hope rock made it upto the game when he posted he was going to buy the lunchtime papers after his workout and then make his decision at midday to head UP to the game........for me anyone from the yeats country would tighten it to go Down to the game from that time given the geographical positions.....but who am i to question?
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby September 22, 2013 10:14 PM BST
Mayo got 2 points from frees in injury time. O'Connor wasted over 60 seconds between the 2 frees shaping up to them

He wasted alot longer. It was mentioned on RTE radio how brainless it was wasting time shaping around for a straight forward kick. Its highly likely had he just tapped it over, there would have been one last passage of play
Report richters September 22, 2013 10:23 PM BST
it was a clear mayo tactic djq but they didnt get the frees the expected and noone told poor cillian there was only 30 seconds left and it was more or less the last kick of the game...
Report lustrumm September 22, 2013 10:43 PM BST
Correct, he wasted that alone on the last free, and Richters he asked the Ref who either told him the truth or lied. Judging by the rest of the game the Ref told him it was all over but he was too stupid to process the info.
Kicking the point was the right move both times imo, but only if they were going to be kicked immediately.
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby September 22, 2013 11:07 PM BST
RTE give MacAuley player of the year?! Laugh

Cavanagh not even nominated.
Report richters September 22, 2013 11:09 PM BST
gooch.....r ye arfin a fkn larf?the gravy men from har.t.e never fail to amaze..........
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby September 22, 2013 11:12 PM BST
Best hurling season in Liam O'Neills lifetime............have a lie down Liam eh Laugh
Report Kelly September 22, 2013 11:18 PM BST
Watching the Sunday game panels etc .  Think I was watching a different match to the "superlative " performances attributed to various players today .

Only player I thought had a really good game was Brogan .

It was a mistake ridden match .

Thank goodness for the Dublin - Kerry match where almost every player played well .

Hype from RTE tonight .
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby September 22, 2013 11:25 PM BST
spot on ^ some thoroughly average performances today even from the Man of the match nominees
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby September 22, 2013 11:40 PM BST
I see the front page banner of RTE is taken up with Dublin. Next weeks winners will probably be given some snippet at the bottom.

Ciaran Kilkenny was shockingly bad today. The forwards for Dublin Brogan apart and O'Gara provided limited threat. How Dean Rock isnt a starter is beyond me. Ironic that Kilkenny would be more productive with the Hurlers imho

This result will haunt Mayo. The first point for Dublin where Cafferkey gave it straight form a free out to Dublin, the mess the keeper made in the first goal.....so many what ifs to ponder over the winter.

Aidan O'Shea was poor.......maybe they'll let him into the Everleigh Garden tonight.

All in all a terrible All Ireland final to finish off a poor footballing season
Report richters September 22, 2013 11:56 PM BST
read my post re the clueless tactics from donie buckley/james horan re:corner back player of the year keith higgins....lined out centre half forward,wins 80% break ball in first half,switched as sweeper in 2nd half,cleened,gets corner back in team of the year,...i really dont know.........
Report paddletoe September 23, 2013 4:42 AM BST
Regarding O,Connors decision to take a point with the last free and his talk with the referee....you have to think O'Connor asked the referee if it was the last kick of the game. The referee must have told him no but it would have been wrong for the referee to say that although it was not the last kick there would not be enough time left for another passage of play. The ref played exactly the correct time. If Dublin had been responsible for delaying the last free you would think the referee would have added on the time. As it was O'Connor wasted the last chance Mayo had of winning the game by first ensuring it was in reality the last passage of play in the match and secondly going for a point when a goal would have won them the all Ireland.
Report silvergreaser September 23, 2013 5:29 AM BST
Will Mayo ever win an All Ireland in my lifetime?, Dublin were served up on a silver platter begging for someone to take them and Mayo once again fall at the biggest hurdle.

It was another All Ireland where nerves played a major part, players consumed by hype and don't want to be the first one to make a mistake as the whole of Ireland is looking in which usually amounts to loads of mistakes because if you play with fear of making a mistake the game is usually littered with errors.

Granted Mayo were not helped by a ref who seemed very lenient towards Dublin, I remember this same ref refereeing a game between my team Moorefield and Portlaoise in the Leinster club championship, he rode us that much he actually used two saddles as the first one wore out, even Portlaoise fans seemed almost embarrassed to be the beneficiaries of such a blatant riding.

The thing is our last Leinster club appearance against Tyrellspass led to a very controversial penalty award that eventually decided a game that was in the melting pot, our keeper been blown for over carrying when a Tyrellspass guy was virtually lying on him in his own box.

To cut to the chase a disgruntled Moorefield supporter actually struck the ref after the game on his way to the dressing room hence the saddling we got off this Cavan ref against Portlaoise, like it was him dishing out his own justice in defence of a colleague?.

He was poor yesterday and also a little bit biased but dare we crib about the ref and we're instantly labeled sore losers?.
Report Santry September 23, 2013 7:28 AM BST
Dont let the facts get in the way of a good rant. The ref awarded 32 frees against Dublin and 12 against Mayo. The final result may have been close on the scoreboard but in reality Dublin were far the better side in a poor match. Dublin didnt even play well either. Mayo forwards were poor but I was not happy with the Dublin fouling late on. They are better than that and it took from the win.
Report keen leader September 23, 2013 8:13 AM BST
silver, you must have poor joe mcquillan placed in the same hatred tray that young Joseph o brien occupies in your mind.

for the record, since its inception, in both hurling and football, no other ref has ever officiated at a leinster club match, ie all leinster games are reffed by officials based in the provice.

joe mcquillan did not ref moorefielf/portlaoise, the actual ref that day was derek fahy from longford.
Report keen leader September 23, 2013 8:14 AM BST
the second paragragh should read...no outside ref....
Report paulie wallnuts September 23, 2013 8:33 AM BST
silvergreaser = fruit and nut.......everybody knows that.......gaelic football is a load of refuse.......do they ever use their feet.....throwing the ball to each other constantly......Dublin 2 goals were scored with hand......also got a point by fukking it over the bar with his hand.....should be called gaelic volleyball.......mayo the usual serial losers......wouldn't know how to win......they don't half breed em thick in the wild west.......
Report Kelly September 23, 2013 9:54 AM BST
Synopsis spot on , Santry .

Nerves were a big factor on both sides .  Anyone counted the "passes " to the opposition goalie ?
Report silvergreaser September 23, 2013 10:12 AM BST
Thanks for clearing that up for me Keen Leader, santry obviously those stats might suggest the ref was favouring Mayo but I thought near the end of the game a lot of mayo forwards were been fouled but found it almost impossible to be awarded a free, incidentally how many of those frees were awarded miles away from the danger zone?.

And then there is all this hatred for Tyrone and their presumed cynical fouling, Dublin the so called bastion of good clean football cynically fouled on numerous occasions even the ref couldn't ignore the cynical stuff that racked up the free count for Mayo.

I don't think Dublin were the better team in fact that soft goal helped enormously in settling them down if that didn't go in I think Mayo would've won, buts thats my opinion each to their own.
Report kingrat September 23, 2013 12:01 PM BST
championees! championees!Laughmayo can have no complaints,the game was there for them but they were just not good enough.they paniced abit both on the pitch and on the line when calm,composure and leadership was needed.and oh yeah,moran can flap his ears to the crowd in castlebar when he is on the loser's podium.Laugh
Report Mordin. September 23, 2013 7:32 PM BST
Hollow victory for the young Dublin lads who were substituted. Kilkenny, Caffery and Mannion. They will be back looking for 2 in a row.
Report frankalsoran60 September 23, 2013 7:59 PM BST
Mayo wont get a better chance to win the all ireland, with the exceeption of the first 20mins off the 2nd half dublin were poor enough...but a dublin man  i will take it.
Report neill d September 23, 2013 11:07 PM BST
Bad game, Mayo have nothing beyond the first 9. Dublin played beneath themselves and mayo were much the same as they were last season.

Ciaran Kilkenny must be one of the most overhyped players of recent times. Jack o'Shea said in the spring that he gets his shots away at the pace of a Junior player, while that might be a bit harsh, he plainly doesn't do things quickly enough against good opposition. He is the Michael Carrick of Gaelic Football, sees everything and will pulverize ordinary opposition when given space, but is out of his depth   against better opposition.

Of the 3, Caffery is clearly a machine of an athlete which is the most important thing for a wing-back, he was just a little green yesterday. Mannion is also clearly has lovely skills and will do great things once he settles down. They could easily win it again next year as there is very little to challenge them. Cork with some new ideas and a fully fit forward line might be best placed.
Report MayoMan September 23, 2013 11:19 PM BST
I'd like to thank the umpire who called a 45 for Dublin when it clearly came off McAuley.  Must have been looking at some young wan in the stands the gob****.
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby September 24, 2013 1:25 AM BST
Can anyone enlighten me as to how in gods name MacAuley is 4/7 to get the player of the year?!

A thoroughly average footballer skill wise who runs all day with limited end product. Shows how poor football is now a days technically. Any justice and Gooch or Cavanagh would win it for single handedly dragging teams to the semis, they wont get a look in mind.

I see Ciaran Kilkenny is 3rd in the betting for young POTY........I saw better footballing skills on the Waterford football team this year
Report Kelly September 24, 2013 9:40 AM BST
Diamond Joe , unfortunately all these awards are based on TV exposure , so few of the weaker counties players get a look in .  If you were the best footballer ( or hurler) in the country and playing for Sligo or Leitrim ( to quote just 2 ) you wouldn't even get a nomination never mind an award .

Dublin are All-Ireland champions , they will get 6 All-Stars probably .  What Dublin actually are as a team are 20 above average footballers , and with the exception of Brogan they are all much of a muchness individually , but collectively well organised and fit . They have nobody ( including Brogan ) anywhere near Gooch skill wise ( does anyone  ? ) , but the Gooch or Cavanagh( runner up in my book ) wont get it .  Presumably thats where the 4/7 comes from .
Report paddletoe September 24, 2013 4:07 PM BST
Thought Gooch was very average by his great standards in the first few matches of the championship. He did not have as much impact on games from the half forward line. I think Cavanagh has been the best player this year by far but I would not argue with keith Higgins getting player of the year. Mayo should have made their mind up in the final that he is now a brilliant forward who can open up a defence every time he gets the ball.

What stood out for me in the early stage of the final was just how slow and laboured Dublin can be when they have the ball. They looked to have a lot more pace only when Mayo clearly tired around the 25 minute mark in the match.
Report The Gotchee September 24, 2013 4:22 PM BST
Diamond joe appears to be seething because Dublin won the All Ireland and has nothing good to say about them. ............ Get a life.
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby September 24, 2013 10:42 PM BST
Why would I be seething over Dublin winning? They were the most efficient team this year without doubt and probably the most skilful of a very poor bunch.

I am questioning why MacAuley is suddenly being lauded as odds on for POTY. Better players than him for Dublin both through out the season and in the Final itself. Paul Flynn for one has been very good not just this year but over the last 3 years and would be a much more deserving recipient.

Football is at a very low ebb. The physical elements of the game seem to have swamped the skill ones.
Report freddiek September 24, 2013 11:13 PM BST
Joe is right about McAuley. fair play to the fella hes obviously at peak fitness and makes the most of what he has but we don't need players in Gaelic who are afraid to use their feet..

he couldn't kick u know what off a rope.

And there are a few other very fit 'athletes' on the Dublin panel about who u could say the same
Report Kelly September 25, 2013 1:17 AM BST
The 3 best teams this year were Dublin , Mayo and Kerry .  On reflection the best final would have been Mayo vs Kerry , as the draw worked out , that could have been a classic . Dublin and Mayo basically cancelled each other out in the final  , and the final did not do justice to either in terms of some of the football they played on the way to the final . Apart from Brogan ,Higgins , and maybe a few others ( my rte i player wont work at moment , so cant watch match again ) none of the players in the final could outplay their opponent(s) , so few starred .

Nerves also showed ,and some of basic skills such as passing and shooting were not always prevalent , in contrast to the Dubs v Kerry match where there was a high standard throughout the match . Thats the memory I cherish for this years football .  But fair play to the Dubs , they won out and nobody's going to take that medal away from them !
Report neill d September 25, 2013 2:21 AM BST
Kerry a few years ago would have pissed it, and they came close as they were, a few all-time greats in their ranks this year, it was 6 odd carrying 15.
Report el gato September 25, 2013 8:59 PM BST
every team in the country would have MDM if they could, amazing athlete. Keith Higgins from Mayo the outstanding footballer of the year.
Report G Hall September 25, 2013 11:19 PM BST
still can't fathom why alan freeman was substituted so early.

Conor Mort will be back next year Grin its true what he said,when he left the camp last year

"ye might win the all ireland lads....but ye won't win it without me" Grin
Report neill d September 25, 2013 11:57 PM BST
Well done on the prediction G Hall, went exactly as you said, but as for Mortimer, the one thing they don't have is a free-taking issue and I've always thought his lack of athleticism/strength/pace makes him pretty markable for any decent to good corner back in Croke Park.

MDM might not be the easiest on the eye, but is brilliant at everything bar high-fielding. He has some scoring rate for a lad who can't really kick a ball the right way.
Report carrot1960 September 26, 2013 8:57 PM BST
frankalso ran60, your right but as bad as mayo played compared to their last two games they only lost an all ireland final by a point
Report reb September 26, 2013 10:17 PM BST
Mayo only lost by a point but they lost to a team who, on the day, played poorly. Had Dublin performed better I believe Mayo would also have performed better. But they would still have lost. It's a head thing. I thought they may have had it sorted but I was wrong.
Report Mordin. September 29, 2013 10:10 PM BST
Can see those young Dublin players coming back hungry to make up for not contributing in this years final.
Report frankalsoran60 September 30, 2013 6:49 PM BST
i thought 4mins extra time was a joke ,one off the dublin players was down injured for over 4mins near the end of the game, surely there should be a time keeper who stops the clock when a player is injured, i recon there should have been more like 8mins of extra time,  AND IM A DUBLIN MAN.Wink
Report The Gotchee September 30, 2013 7:10 PM BST
Cillian O'Connor spent too much time posing and posturing when taking all 8 frees he scored. Some of those frees could have been kicked blindfolded. His carry on for the last free was incredible, what was he thinking?
Report Mordin. October 1, 2013 12:07 AM BST
Agree this slow play taking frees is a blight on the game, even worse in rugby.
Report Kelly October 1, 2013 12:22 AM BST
Should in theory be quicker than in the old days where the ball had to be kicked off the ground for frees ( and sideline balls ) .  But its not always , some free takers mess around for ever before they take their free , and in the final Mayo in particular wasted a fair bit of time near the end when they should have been speeding it up .

Rugby is worse , an awful lot of games come down to kicking matches because attackers dont have the skills to score tries , and defences are relatively easy to organise on a small pitch .
Report Mordin. October 1, 2013 10:19 PM BST
Think the Dublin football club championship will be interesting. I heard the better clubs are set up like inter-county squads. Fancy the winning Dublin team to win the club championship out this year.
Report kavvie October 1, 2013 10:24 PM BST
crokes will be hard stop
Report ACE JACK DOUBLE SUITED October 6, 2013 1:52 AM BST
The two losing semi finalists must be sick. Kerry would have smashed Mayo and Tyrone would have done the same to Dublin. Brutal final. Dubs terrible and Mayo spineless. Neither will win next year. Dublin are overated and are one of the biggest lays of the year in 2014.
Report paulie wallnuts October 6, 2013 9:31 AM BST
agree with ace jack double suited.......tyrone would have smashed Dublin........that's as long as it was jimmy keaveney brian mullins and all the other lads from the 70's that played.......
Report Kelly October 6, 2013 12:39 PM BST
Outside of Sean Cavanagh , Tyrone were a pedestrian team , nowhere near as good as the good ( not excellent) team they had 5-10 years ago .

Kerry would have beaten Mayo in a final , they would have been so far in front Mayo would have had to make changes and they do not have a strong enough bench to change a match they are losing .

Dublin outstayed Kerry in the semi , Kerry were ahead with 3 minutes to go . MD McAuley was MOM in the final , question arises would he have got on to the Kerry team of the late seventies / early eighties ?  Subs bench OK , but Jacko would have cleaned him football wise .

Kerry continue to produce the best natural footballers , maybe twas always thus .  Why is that ?
Report richters October 6, 2013 12:44 PM BST
you would know a lot about it paulie wingnuts........stick to what ye know best mate......drinking cider outa the bath in barrowfield.....
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com