Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
workrider
14 Sep 13 20:46
| Topic/replies: 31,464 | Blogger: workrider's blog
Johnny is in a league of his own , no doubt about it...
Pause Switch to Standard View Robbery At The Curragh
Show More
Report silvergreaser September 14, 2013 8:49 PM BST
How did Johnny suddenly become a super trainer when he spends just as much time riding them, did it occur to you any of you that he has the backing of a big owner?
Report workrider September 14, 2013 8:52 PM BST
Silvergreaser , to both ride and train a classic winner , you have to be good , I think we were all aware who was doing the training last year...
Report silvergreaser September 14, 2013 8:55 PM BST
I don't think Johnny Murtagh has suddenly become another messiah workrider and he would be the first to admit it himself that he's training good horses.

The powerful backing of an owner can be the making of you, in Johnnys case its looking extremely rosy.
Report wildmanfromborneo September 14, 2013 8:56 PM BST
Tinker has horses in training in England as well yet all his winners are coming from the Murtagh stable.

Murtagh is for me far and away the best Jockey around and is having some season.
Report silvergreaser September 14, 2013 9:00 PM BST
wildman we all know that if you haven't got the backing of big owners its going to be a struggle as a trainer.
Report workrider September 14, 2013 9:04 PM BST
Thats goes without saying Silvergreaser , the old saying you cant come without the horse springs to mind ...There are many trainers out there with Huge owners and they haven't won a classic ..Remember Johnny doesn't have the support of the Arabs unlike a lot on the Curragh ...
Report silvergreaser September 14, 2013 9:09 PM BST
Well we can look at Ballydoyle/Coolmore, how many Galileos have they every year?, a guess 50%, how many are actually any good or worth standing as a stallion, very few!.
Report workrider September 14, 2013 9:22 PM BST
THAT'S not the point , Coolmore and JOHNNY are worlds apart , give credit were its due ....
Report slickster September 14, 2013 9:23 PM BST
Any mug betting to those percentages deserves all they get.
Report silvergreaser September 14, 2013 9:34 PM BST
Exactly workrider, the credit is due when a trainer like Tom Foley and Danoli make a mockery of the so called status quo and prove thats its horses that make jockeys and horse trainers not the other way round.

Jockeys can't make slow horses go any faster can they?, you can whip the living daylights out of it but if it has no abilty to run much faster than an amputated tortoise then what can you do?, and that goes for trainers too.

Far too much credit is afforded to jockeys and trainers in a game that is called "HORSE RACING", basically the fastest horse wins, that is as simple a concept for anyone to get their head around, but yet there are punters and media alike who like to make you think that the likes of Aidan O'Brien had somehow performed an act of god to get Leading Light to win the Leger today?, yet not a word about the hundreds of losers?
Report workrider September 14, 2013 9:42 PM BST
Silvergreaser , even i could have trained Danoli , Tom is a lovely man , and deserved all the credit due him , but can you tell me any other top class horse he trained , Having worked in stables I know how hard it is to keep horses sweet week after week .I've known trainers who have destroyed really good horses by over facing them when they weren't ready ...Of course a lot is down to the horse , but if you don't know your horse is a sprinter , and run it over 2ml , how could it possibly win ..So as they say it takes two to tango...
Report Distant View September 14, 2013 9:48 PM BST
Moon Man had the potential to be the best horse Foley had.

It was desperate to see him killed.
Report silvergreaser September 14, 2013 9:49 PM BST
But can you except the fact workrider that every trainer is incredibly reliant on the ability of the horse?.

That means trainers know they can't make horses go any faster, and are always crying for big owners to get them the best bred horses.
Report workrider September 14, 2013 9:57 PM BST
Of course they are Silvergreaser , as you rightly say its horseracing after all ...Like any profession , you have your , good , bad ,indifferent , and simply great , when you think back over the years , there was some really great trainers , in your case it was VINCENT , most would agree , Vincent's greatest training feat was in keeping Nijinsky sweet , by all accounts he was a bit of a lunatic , and it took all of VINCENTS skill just to keep him right , so you see why a trainer is so important , if Nijinsky had been with another trainer he wouldn't have been the wonder horse he turned out to be ...
Report padlock September 15, 2013 6:16 AM BST
who's the wealthy owner?
Report GANT007 September 15, 2013 8:36 AM BST
Silvergreaser...........Who was Tom Foley on to 24/7 when he had Danoli.........he even begged him to come and use his facilities.
Report silvergreaser September 15, 2013 8:39 AM BST
An educated guess considering Tom is a Carlow man, Jim Bolger?
Report GANT007 September 15, 2013 8:44 AM BST
Correct.
Report silvergreaser September 15, 2013 8:50 AM BST
Padlock Andrew Tinkler is the CEO of the Stobart Group you know the company logo many a jockey sports on his breeches?.

So I'd say he's worth a good few million don't you think?

For Johnny its been a win win right from the start, not only is he still riding plenty of big winners which helps in keeping his profile up but he also has a stable full of decent horses who have won plenty of decent races, so other wealthy owners will be looking in and might consider sending Johnny a few expensive horses in the future.

To say Johnny has started off on the right foot would be an understatement.
Report wildmanfromborneo September 15, 2013 8:55 AM BST
He is delivering the goods.
Tinkler has horses trained in England and if you were to look at Royal Diamonds career you would agree Murtagh is a genius.
Report punchestown September 15, 2013 10:20 AM BST
Thought this thread was going to be about the Stack horse.......Devil
Report Meyer Lansky September 15, 2013 10:50 AM BST
I thought it was about the prices on the Pony RaceConfused
Report GANT007 September 15, 2013 1:05 PM BST
Johnny is aiming for big owners.........quality over quantity and he has set his fees accordingly.
Report dj876 September 15, 2013 1:22 PM BST
Name and Shame the books that were pricing up 250% o/r's-They deserve it even if it was a pony race.
Report Vubiant September 15, 2013 1:34 PM BST
Murtagh is right -who wants to spend their life scurrying around trying to find handicaps for slowboats rated between,say,45 and 75?
Report poorpup September 18, 2013 12:35 AM BST
mollys dream was 4/5
one direction was 3/1
georgies girl was 3/1

the betting should have been 5/4 one direction 5/4mollys dream  4/1 georgies girl  25/1 bar
Report wildmanfromborneo September 18, 2013 12:38 AM BST
Not on the board I saw.
Molly's Dream. 1/2
Georgies Girl.   6/4
One Direction.   2/1

They then went 4/1 followed by 7/1 each of four and 8/1 each of five.
Report poorpup September 18, 2013 12:41 AM BST

Sep 17, 2013 -- 6:38PM, wildmanfromborneo wrote:

Not on the board I saw.Molly's Dream. 1/2Georgies Girl.   6/4One Direction.   2/1They then went 4/1 followed by 7/1 each of four and 8/1 each of five.

the betting i put was the final show,the winner was an incredible price,has won 15 races this year

Report wildmanfromborneo September 18, 2013 12:46 AM BST
That could be right,I was told by a genuine pony man that Molly's Dream was a 1/5 shot and to back it which is why I went back into the ring,I am glad they bet the way they did as it saved me a few quid.
Report poorpup September 18, 2013 1:11 AM BST

Sep 17, 2013 -- 6:46PM, wildmanfromborneo wrote:

That could be right,I was told by a genuine pony man that Molly's Dream was a 1/5 shot and to back it which is why I went back into the ring,I am glad they bet the way they did as it saved me a few quid.

one direction won the 14 2 in doneagal 2 weeks ago at 1/6
same day he won the 15 hands at 3/1
he was beat in dingle on the saturday by georgies girl cos the saddle slipped
he pissed in  on the sunday at dingle
i was at at ballyjamesduff county cavan last sunday,the day after the curragh,and he was 6/4 and pissed in again......................should have been 4s on

Report wildmanfromborneo September 18, 2013 9:49 AM BST
That confirms it,welcome back the gun anagram.
Report poorpup September 18, 2013 3:32 PM BST
im not ngu hth
Report by purpose September 18, 2013 3:49 PM BST
I hear a lot of ponies that race with a few chemicals at the flaps chose to run clean at the Curragh.Maybe Mollys Boy would win every other Sunday.
Report poorpup September 18, 2013 3:55 PM BST
mollys dream was injured
Report roadrunner46 April 13, 2019 6:37 PM BST
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com