Forums

Irish Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Rocketfingers
12 Jun 13 13:05
| Topic/replies: 9,152 | Blogger: Rocketfingers's blog
Ireland 1 England 0 in Stuttgart in Euro 88 and Ray Houghton,  watched it at home even though i had a ticket for the match, would loved to have been at it.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 74
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 12 Jun 13 13:12
Can you ever tell the truth.

You were allegedly in some Welsh University at the turn of the century so should be around eight or nine in 1988,however from the puerile content of your posts we know you are probably one of the oldest on here but you have told so many lies you keep tripping yourself up.
By:
Rocketfingers
When: 12 Jun 13 13:24
I was actually 11 years of age Wildman i have you know, my auld man was on a junket going out to it and he was bringing me, my uncle got me a ticket but i could not get on the same flight as me dad, so he organised me to go to Frankfurt and then catch and connecting flight to Stuttgart, god rest her but my poor mum put a stop to it as soon as she heard of his plans, so i ended up with unused tickets for the English match and the Russian match, would have been memories for life.
By:
db1974
When: 12 Jun 13 13:27
test
By:
yummy
When: 12 Jun 13 13:29
Who else bought the tee-shirt in Penneys with a photo of the goal and the time emblazoned on it.

2.36 pm June 12th 1988
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 12 Jun 13 13:29
I suppose you have to acknowledge that as an attempt to retrieve the situation albeit a poor one.I thought at eleven you would have been flying planes not just travelling in them.
By:
silvergreaser
When: 12 Jun 13 13:36
It wasn't exactly our greatest ever performance rocket, greatest ever result maybe?. England played us off the park and the usually lethal Lineker missed a hatful, but nobody cared the result was all that mattered.
By:
Rocketfingers
When: 12 Jun 13 13:37
Yummy i think i may have haha, i wish i kept those tickets safe instead of up around the tea bags and coffee jars where they were for years before being thrown out by accident. I remember standing in the sitting room when the ball came to Houghton and just shouted goal, Shilton seemed to be in man's land, the rest of the match was pure torture.
By:
kingrat
When: 12 Jun 13 13:50
yeah i remember it well.we had a massive tri colour hanging between the 2 bedroom windows,i think it was a sunday and we were all crammed in the sitting room in front of the telly.bonner played a blinder,it was 1 of those magical sporting moments of my youth.
By:
reb
When: 12 Jun 13 14:06
Great memory indeed. Silvergreaser has it right though.

I remember reading some journalist's comment in the wake of the tournament to the effect that we'd won a game we should have lost (England), drawn a game we should have won (Russia), and lost a game we should have drawn (Holland).
By:
Kelly
When: 12 Jun 13 14:11
Might be greatest momemnt for soccer supporters , but for those of us who view things more broadly does it outrank Ronnie Delany winning the Blue Riband of the athletics world in 1956 ?

Or others people may resurrect from other sports ( boxing world titles etc among others ) ?

Apart from anything else , since 1966 to 1970 , England have been pretty average .  Geoff Hurst ( biased maybe ) reckons only 2 English players since then have had the game to challenge for a place retrospectively in that era , Robson and Gazza . Agree with him . We ( you technically) didn't beat a  stellar lot that day I suspect , sweet though the victory was .
By:
Kelly
When: 12 Jun 13 14:19
Add in Shilton possibly , he was nearly as good as Banks .
By:
freddiek
When: 12 Jun 13 14:36
if u mean happiest moment for the nation in sport then very possibly, not the greatest imo. remember going out the back to tell me mum that wed beat them. I was only 6. such a nervous game to watch. Think this was the game that Charlton whacked his head off the roof of the dugout.

i remember the 2 other games vividly as well. Ronnie's great goal and the fluky one by the Dutch that knocked us out

https://twitter.com/sportsdes/status/344743901485232128/photo/1
By:
reb
When: 12 Jun 13 14:38
Might be greatest momemnt for soccer supporters , but for those of us who view things more broadly does it outrank Ronnie Delany winning the Blue Riband of the athletics world in 1956 ?

You're forgetting Michelle Smith, Kelly.
By:
Rocketfingers
When: 12 Jun 13 14:47
Dutch goal was a fluke and McGrath if i remember was very unlucky not to score in that match, Ireland should have beaten Russia by a few goals instead they got a 1-1 draw. Ireland rode their luck v England alright no doubt but it can't be said it was not a hell of a performance in the countries first major finals, we sat back and England really pressed hard but the majority of their chances came in the last 15 to 20 minutes and remember Whelan had also hit the crossbar. I think it was better than the world cup, the football was better and by the time of 1990 the bandwagon was well under way. I think most sports fans would struggle to remember years of other events happened or even what was the event in the case of Kelly's example (I'd actually have a few before that) but we all remember where we were when Houghton put the ball in English net Happy
By:
silvergreaser
When: 12 Jun 13 14:54
Wildman should be along in a minute to defend Michelle reb.
By:
Rocketfingers
When: 12 Jun 13 14:55
I was thinking that myself Silver Laugh
By:
p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y
When: 12 Jun 13 15:04
out greatest ever sporting moment is beating Ingerland 1-0 with a goal scored by a Scotsman SadLaugh
By:
reb
When: 12 Jun 13 15:04
He might be conflicted. As well as being a great Olympian she's also a Barrister.
By:
richters
When: 12 Jun 13 16:34
rocket it appears you and i are of the one age,the difference being judging by your posts on here you in fact live in the body of a 35 yo man but have kept your mentality of 1988 as an 11 yo........
the most ridicolous post i have ever read on here regarding tickets for euro 88 i must say.......totally ridicolous.....
By:
richters
When: 12 Jun 13 16:43
from scoring 2-2 for THE GAELS to stuttgart 88,christy shouda wrote the song rocket goes to stuttgart rather than joxter,although ye probably would get more sense from joxter after 14 pints of stout......
By:
Rocketfingers
When: 12 Jun 13 16:44
You're life is so sheltered that even going to a racecourse is described by yourself as being "ridiculous", i believe Sligored put you in your place in regards to that one Wink
By:
Ozymandius
When: 12 Jun 13 16:45
richters, do you have many of those dodgy cigarettes I keep hearing about in the back of the Transit Van?

Is that what has you up and down the country?  what's the going rate?
By:
Rocketfingers
When: 12 Jun 13 16:45
Laugh
By:
richters
When: 12 Jun 13 16:49
ozy your mental age seems to be catchin up with you also........i refer you to the gaa thread........2 goals 2 points for a club 50 miles away from him......
By:
Rocketfingers
When: 12 Jun 13 16:51
50 miles? What club is 50 miles from me richters? Confused
By:
Ozymandius
When: 12 Jun 13 16:54
I was just putting 2 and 2 together Richters.

You have strong Republican sympathies and ties.  The RA are apparently the new Marlboro.   You drive up and down the country with a Van selling stuff.....you do the math.
By:
guinness2dear
When: 12 Jun 13 16:57
I always thought it was "The races at Castlebar" (with a little help from the Froggies)
By:
Rocketfingers
When: 12 Jun 13 17:03
From one end of Sligo to the other is not 50 miles, so caught out fibbing again richters !
By:
richters
When: 12 Jun 13 17:09
ozy for a man that alleges third level education,you really are an IMBECILE of the highest order,not quite of the rocket standing yet,il give you that much......
By:
Rocketfingers
When: 12 Jun 13 17:10
More lies from the simple one ^
By:
freddiek
When: 12 Jun 13 17:15
this was actually a good thread from RF before yiz fecked it up
By:
richters
When: 12 Jun 13 17:16
im pretty sure from bellaghy to north sligo is well over 50 miles having travelled the road on a regular basis,this is irrelevant to the point.....
By:
richters
When: 12 Jun 13 17:17
freddiek it is another fantasy........and imo not in the top ten greatest irish sporting moments
By:
Ozymandius
When: 12 Jun 13 17:20
Can I put an order in for spme Cohiba IVs please, Richters.  I will PM you with a drop off point.  Thanks.
By:
Rocketfingers
When: 12 Jun 13 17:20
ROTFL Bellaghy is not even in Sligo it's in Derry, what an absolute clown Laugh
By:
Rocketfingers
When: 12 Jun 13 17:21
We can rule out Geography teacher for richters anyway lads, this thread could become a thing of beauty now because of that comments richters
By:
Rocketfingers
When: 12 Jun 13 17:23
That's Curry GAA and they ain't called Curry Gaels either.
By:
richters
When: 12 Jun 13 17:24
bellaghy is a village on the north side of charlestown co.mayo,actually on the same street,o horas pub, and anyone claiming to be from sligo would of travelled through this village if they were ever in galway.......... yes it is most definitely in sligo
By:
richters
When: 12 Jun 13 17:25
DEAR OH DEAR is all i can say
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo