Forums

Irish Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Kelly
23 Sep 12 11:22
| Topic/replies: 8,571 | Blogger: Kelly's blog
Still makes the hairs stand out on your neck , the weight of history and the memories .

Both teams have a checkered history reference All Irelands  , and luckily one of them will be stamping the success book tonight ( draw excluding ) .

Saw some of the RTE up for the match last night , some curious input and views coming across . No great feeling of inner self confidence coming from either side or their supporters , and thats the way I think the match will go .  Back and forward .

For me , its the Mayo forwards versus the Donegal backs  , expect the other end battle to be even .  If Mayo can score a goal or two I think they might win , against the current odds which I think favour Donegal too much on the basis of what I have observed so far this summer from both teams .

But if they( Mayo) dont score goal(s) , think Donegal will edge it .  Could be a cracker !

Cant lose either way , like most of the country who really are unusually neutral for a history defining day for both counties .  Connections and support here for both teams in almost equal measure , although blood connections favour a Mayo win .  As against that , as a county Donegal need the win more .  Roll on the throw -in !

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 150
By:
silvergreaser
When: 23 Sep 12 11:32
To be honest the only thing that will beat Donegal today is big match nerves, I think they're head and shoulders better than Mayo, if Mayo collapse like they did against Dublin, Donegal will put them to the sword, anyway there is no way on earth that they will ever be afforded such a big lead against Donegal.
If the hype hasn't got to the Donegal players they're the bet of the century, of course Mayo themselves are vunerable to big match nerves which would mean curtains.
Sorry Mayo fans but only one winner for me, yet my heart says Mayo but its having damn hard time trying to dissuade my head.
By:
Kelly
When: 23 Sep 12 11:44
Neither county has a great record of converting opportunity to success in All -Ireland terms .  Mayo have had a lot of chances , more so than Donegal , but always the lack of self belief let them down on well documented occasions . Saw a reason for that last night on the telly , but its a personal view .

Donegal as a team were always reently regarded as "easy meat " (relatively speaking) in this county when it came to the crunch .  Someone always had a stinker  , it was easily exploited  , and team collapse followed .

But this team seems different .
By:
Monte Christo
When: 23 Sep 12 11:52
Good post Kelly.

The build up to the match here in Inishowen has been unbelievable.

Much more intense than 92 due to the local representation on the team this year.If Donegal win the county will go into meltdown.

As a derryman I'm in a no-lose situation today.I've always had a soft spot for Mayo so if they win I'll be very happy for them but obviously I want my adopted county to prevail.

I think Donegal will shade a much closer game than many people are predicting.

Nerves will play a big part today and it may be the team which actually handles the occasion better triumphs.
By:
Kelly
When: 23 Sep 12 13:31
Best of luck to you , Count Of , did hear that tickets for the match are harder than ever to lay hands on .  One of my sons lives in Fermanagh , and as they are cheek by jowl with southern Donegal I get a fair bit of feedback , partly to do with cross border trade / traffic   , plus he has a house near Ballyshannon where my wifes nephew also lives .

My wifes roots are in Mayo , first cousins etc still live there  , and they have a fair bit of GAA involvement . Win , win , as they say .  Heard a lot of that last night on the match preview , its great to hear non tribal contributions from most concerned , rather than "I hate" offerings .

As a Derry man reckon you share the misgivings we both have about our current wearers of our respective jersies .  Think we would have contested 4 finals  with you in a row back in early nineties when we were ( possibly equally)the best around , if the back door stuff had more or less ensured that the 2 best teams appeared in the final irrespective of provincial considerations . One of that Down team proferred that last night to me when we were watching the RTE program . Couldn't argue with him ( not if you have 2 medals to show ).

All the best for today , sport will be the winner , thats as far as I am going until I see what way the ball is hopping later .
By:
Diamond_Joe_Quimby
When: 23 Sep 12 15:43
Mayo Giving a cracking display of BOTTLING it Laugh
By:
moneypenny
When: 23 Sep 12 15:43
oh dear, this could become a non event very quickly
By:
lapsy pa
When: 23 Sep 12 15:45
Tis a rout,lovely movement for 2nd goal.
By:
bobbybocala
When: 23 Sep 12 15:52
aidan o shea struggling with his fitness......ger canning just said.....youd be struggling too ger if ya were playing in an all ireland.....and ya were over 25 stone weight.....
By:
gawdalmighty
When: 23 Sep 12 15:55
If Mayo had a few better free takers they would have more than just 2 points on the scoreboard. Come on Mayo ffs!
By:
gawdalmighty
When: 23 Sep 12 15:57
Nice one
By:
lustrumm
2nd half will go down as one of the worst in history imo as Donegal bring puke football to nee levels defending their lead. standby for endless wides from 30-40 yards out from the Bombolayos. Dublni must be wondering how the hell all those scores went over against them
By:
gawdalmighty
We (Mayo) need a few more of them before half time
By:
bobbybocala
When: 23 Sep 12 16:03
the ref is doing his best for them......as usual in the GAA.....they will need him......
By:
lapsy pa
When: 23 Sep 12 16:03
Ref making some desperate calls.
By:
gawdalmighty
When: 23 Sep 12 16:05
COME ON MAYO & THE REF!! Wink
By:
lapsy pa
When: 23 Sep 12 16:05
Laugh
By:
kavvie
When: 23 Sep 12 16:20
ref giving donegal everything!!
By:
Cupwinkcook
When: 23 Sep 12 16:27
was big green on donegal, bailed out at h/t

donegal needed the ref in that half and only 3 points up with a wind

not the donegal I was expecting
By:
bobbybocala
When: 23 Sep 12 16:31
ref the best player for mayo......
By:
Cupwinkcook
When: 23 Sep 12 16:31
plenty of frees in this half for Mayo as ref will try to redress the balance
By:
bobbybocala
When: 23 Sep 12 16:36
enda varley......just like johnny wilkinson......minus the accuracy of course.....the game is officially over.....
By:
lapsy pa
When: 23 Sep 12 16:48
Yer man dislocated his shoulder bating the other fella across the faceShocked
By:
Cupwinkcook
When: 23 Sep 12 16:52
looks over alright

can't see Mayo getting 5 points in the next 12
By:
Cupwinkcook
When: 23 Sep 12 16:53
was going to back Aidan o'shea not to score

just as well he's in full forward
By:
paulie wallnuts
When: 23 Sep 12 16:56
some things never change,if you added all the mayo players iq together you wouldnt make 15
By:
bobbybocala
When: 23 Sep 12 16:58
mayo disgracing themselves......like they never did before......at least the last 2 times they shamed themselves.....they were playing a big team.....most shameful event in mayo history......since Nally left the frogs son get out the gate.....
By:
lustrumm
When: 23 Sep 12 16:59
What about the tactics from a bygone age, putting the big Country Hoor from Midfield in full forward, as if he would have the skill to turn and shoot a goal even if winning possession.

I felt Mayo would lose as soon as the build up started and all the fans started at the "We are due a turn, it is our turn now" etc..

I wouldn't mind but if Mayou played their game and took their scores they would have had a right chance against a moderate side (which this DonegaL side is)
By:
lustrumm
When: 23 Sep 12 17:08
The Bombolayos put up yet another headless chicken performance in Croke Park on All Ireland final today
By:
bobbybocala
When: 23 Sep 12 17:08
what a shiit final though.....a disgrace to gaelic football.....throwing the ball all over the field.....high tackles...... off the ball stuff......one ordinary enough side and the other an atrocious one......dont know what the scramble for tickets was about......
By:
p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y
When: 23 Sep 12 17:09
Well Done Donegsl, well deserved victory, best team this year Grin
By:
gawdalmighty
When: 23 Sep 12 17:12
Fair ple, well done Donegal
By:
bobbybocala
When: 23 Sep 12 17:21
fair play is right.....they werent at their best today....but they did manage to beat better teams on the way.....its just a pity that the occasion was tarnished by the fact that.....somehow Mayo qualified for it......
By:
Kelly
When: 23 Sep 12 17:38
Mayo again underperformed on the day .  Mistake ridden match unfortunately ( and the ref was not inspiring ) .  Far better team won , Mayo could not raise a gallop , never looked like scoring the goal they needed to get back in the game .
By:
paddletoe
When: 23 Sep 12 18:23
I dont think Mayo played badly at all. The far better team won and just as in all their wins this year Donegal dominated the game much more than the scoreline reflected.
I dont think there has ever been a better conditioned team than Donegal who can maintain the same level of fitness for the entire 70 minutes. In every big game this year the opposition has wilted against Donegal in the second half. Its not that Donegal raise their game, its just they ground the other team into submission. Physically its not possible for players to be in better physical condition at 60 minutes than they were at the start of the game but Donegal tire less than the opposition.
Hard to imagine Donegal maintaining the same level of fitness and desire and winning multiple all irelands. They dont have the great individual players that Tyrone and Kerry had when they won several all irelands.
I dont see Donegals style of play being a see change in football as i dont think any other teams would be capable of replicating it or Donegal maintaining it. I dont think players with more individual talent than the Donegal players would buy in as easily to training with such intensity. I think it was Spillane who said the difference between the two teams today was Mayo were a year less evolved. I dont think Mayo could reach the same level of physical fitness and intensity of play no matter how many years you give them.
By:
Rocketfingers
When: 23 Sep 12 18:25
Worst final i've seen in a while in any sport. Summed it up at the end when Donegal ran off celebrating with each other and never even shook the hands of the Mayo lads, terrible sportsmanship !

You can't compare that to the hurling final actually you can't compare that to too much thankfully in sport.
By:
freddiek
When: 23 Sep 12 19:13
well said RF
By:
SHANEBOY_FANTASY_WINS_2011_IRISH_DERBY
When: 23 Sep 12 19:35
.....retardfingers talking rubbish as per usual..he must not have watched the last fifa world cup final between spain and holland..very sporting match that was and holland played very sportingly..stop showing yourself up you seething clown.....
By:
Rocketfingers
When: 23 Sep 12 19:41
Go make up some more PM messages again Shane but this time get the times right ya dense fool.
By:
SHANEBOY_FANTASY_WINS_2011_IRISH_DERBY
When: 23 Sep 12 19:43
.....i posted the proof unlike you i don't lie..everybody can see it on the other thread..you bottled out of the challenge as you are a lieing fantasist who makes stories up.....
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com